March 28, 2024, 03:28:51 AM

Author Topic: Brazilian World Cup player Denilson signs with FC Dallas  (Read 5395 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Brazilian World Cup player Denilson signs with FC Dallas
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:26:22 PM »
Brazilian World Cup player Denilson signs with FC Dallas

August 23, 2007

DALLAS (AP) -- Brazilian midfielder Denilson, who played on the 2002 World Cup championship team, signed with FC Dallas.

Terms of the deal were not released Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Denilson was one of the top players in the late 1990s and his rights were once sold for about $36 million, the largest transfer fee in history at the time. He is the fourth MLS player to have won a World Cup.

FC Dallas said Denilson, whose full name is Denilson de Oliveira, would be able to play once he receives his work visa.

The 5-foot-8 Denilson said he was eager to begin playing for FC Dallas.

"I hope that through my work I will be able to contribute to this team and have success in this league," he said in a statement.

FC Dallas coach Steve Morrow said the team was pleased to be able to land Denilson.

"We've worked hard to build a team with players that have exceptional ability and also have the right attitude off the field. Adding a player like Denilson will improve us further and give us a boost as we go into the final stretch of the season." he said.

Denilson led the Brazilian team to the 1997 FIFA Confederations Cup title and a second-place finish the next year in the FIFA World Cup. Brazil won the World Cup in 2002.

He played for Sao Paulo from 1994-1998 before joining Real Betis, a Spanish club. He played there for seven years before moving on to Bordeaux. He played for Al Nasr, a Saudi Arabian club, in 2006-2007.

Warrior For Life !!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brazilian World Cup player Denilson signs with FC Dallas
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:34:10 PM »
Like they find somebody to fill Shaka's salary cap.

That was curiously fast
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:35:53 PM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »
If ah not mistaking, ah think dat is de youth, dat back in de days he took de world by storm wid his step over. Robinho step over is sweet tuh watch, but if dis is de Denilson ah talking about, well he had or may still have de best step over in de business. HIGHLY BLESSED
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:06:59 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:56:21 PM »
i always wondered where dis man gone....he just disappear just so. i didnt know he was playing for al-qaeda nasr  ;D
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:08:49 PM »
i always wondered where dis man gone....he just disappear just so. i didnt know he was playing for al-qaeda nasr  ;D

TM it seem like yuh know him well, is dat de player ah talking about in meh last post, or dis is another player? HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 08:30:25 PM »

TM it seem like yuh know him well, is dat de player ah talking about in meh last post, or dis is another player? HIGHLY BLESSED.

IS de same one. The man who use to beat in circle - he use to beat men and wait for them to catch up to beat them again.All flash and no brain. Was good for holding the ball and time wasting though. Nobody ddn't want to tackle the man for fear of looking dotish.

Curiously though back then ah doh remember anybody referring to it as a step over, but i was kinda young too.

Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 09:18:44 PM »
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 09:36:31 PM »

IS de same one. The man who use to beat in circle - he use to beat men and wait for them to catch up to beat them again.All flash and no brain. Was good for holding the ball and time wasting though. Nobody ddn't want to tackle the man for fear of looking dotish.

Curiously though back then ah doh remember anybody referring to it as a step over, but i was kinda young too.

:rotfl: :rotfl: Midnight, nice one dey, yuh have men here rolling wid dat one. Also, thanks fuh de response, it is appreciated. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »

Good player who never became as great as his skill suggested. Remembered as a kind of gimmick  largely due to World Cup 2002 play when he was brought on simply to waste time. In WC 1998 he was a very effective substitute and had a fine game against Norway when he actually got to start..he was not all flash and no brain..But he didn't seem all that smart either. He was always more subdued and balanced when he played a full game or came on as a sub when the result was still in question. Otherwise he seemed to just come on and act like a circus monkey...sadly I feel Scolari in particular exploited his dribbling ability that way

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:18:27 AM »

IS de same one. The man who use to beat in circle - he use to beat men and wait for them to catch up to beat them again.All flash and no brain. Was good for holding the ball and time wasting though.

You obviously never saw him play a full 90 mins for Betis, or remember his WC 98 (besides the final), or Tournoi de France (b4 WC 98)...

Denilson was almost the complete package- his only downfall is that he didn't score many goals. People use his dribbling as the scapegoat for a career that never materialized- he was no more of an excessive dribbler than Cristiano Ronaldo, Robinho or Ricardo Quaresma for eg.....When he got transferred to Betis, he was the most expensive player in the world- He was a very smart creative player with good pace and decent passing & crossing technique in his left foot. He was somewhat injury prone, but when healthy was the go to player at Betis......IMO, injury and his inability to score 15+ goals a season was downfall as opposed to brainless dribbling.

When he had a bad game criticism rained down on him because of his tendency to dribble alot, and his role in the 2002 WC was marginalized so it appeared that he left the world stage as a not much more than "gimmick" according to filho.

A player doesn't get selected to play for Brazil in 2 consecutive World Cups (once a winner, the other the runner up), and achieve the status of being the most expensive player in the World unless he has true quality.

All flash and no brain is terribly inaccruate....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:35:03 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:59:22 AM »

IS de same one. The man who use to beat in circle - he use to beat men and wait for them to catch up to beat them again.All flash and no brain. Was good for holding the ball and time wasting though.

You obviously never saw him play a full 90 mins for Betis, or remember his WC 98 (besides the final), or Tournoi de France (b4 WC 98)...

Denilson was almost the complete package- his only downfall is that he didn't score many goals. People use his dribbling as the scapegoat for a career that never materialized- he was no more of an excessive dribbler than Cristiano Ronaldo, Robinho or Ricardo Quaresma for eg.....When he got transferred to Betis, he was the most expensive player in the world- He was a very smart creative player with good pace and decent passing & crossing technique in his left foot. He was somewhat injury prone, but when healthy was the go to player at Betis......IMO, injury and his inability to score 15+ goals a season was downfall as opposed to brainless dribbling.

When he had a bad game criticism rained down on him because of his tendency to dribble alot, and his role in the 2002 WC was marginalized so it appeared that he left the world stage as a not much more than "gimmick" according to filho.

A player doesn't get selected to play for Brazil in 2 consecutive World Cups (once a winner, the other the runner up), and achieve the status of being the most expensive player in the World unless he has true quality.

All flash and no brain is terribly inaccruate....

Fair enough. Consider that I was being harsh.

I'm no expert on Denilson.

The only match I saw him play for Betis, he was pretty absent. Unfortunately for him, the only WC match that he started, Brazil ended up losing (I'm not blaming him for the loss mind you)

What I remember from the World Cups though and what makes me refuse to make the comparison with C ronaldo or Robinho (I have never actually seen Quaresma play) is the fact that he rarely seemed capable of using his dribbling talent to go FORWARD. For a Brazilian, that is pretty inexcusable.

He would also usually start his dribbling to far down the field to be able to use it to create space for shots on target. I also remember him as not being a particularly unselfish player.

Granted, as someone said, the image of the gimmick may have stuck with me. I'm not calling the man a shithound. As you said, you don't make 2 Brazilian world cups easy easy. I just think that he was one who never put his talent to the best possible use, hence the 'no brain' comment.

I know for a fact that there are a ton of Bordeaux fans disappointed that they ever bought him. I also wonder what Betis' opinion of him is to this day.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 09:29:58 AM »
According to Kicker:

Quite right, captain!

Strongly concur as to Denilson's exploitation. And, as to that famous WC episode it's certain that he was playing to instructions.

ESPN produced a very in depth interview with him and his family in a run-up to the 1998 WC. It was quite revealing of the player's roots, priorities and psychology. Watch it if yuh can find it. Denilson may have accepted some situations for the greater good of those dependent on him.

That said, I'm not convinced that this is a good signing for FC Dallas - and I like Denilson.

Although the figures have not been revealed, I think I understand the arithmetic FC Dallas are pursuing, but I am less sure this would be productive. Substitute Rivaldo for Denilson (in a year, maybe two) and voila I think you get something.

IMV he's an auspicious signing but not authoritatively an influential one - as some posters allude to.

Time will reveal.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:28:38 AM »
Brazilian fans does probably talk about Denilson the way TnT fans talk about Wise.

Clearly a very "talented dribbler", but never make a "lasting impact" on the national team.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »
Brazilian fans does probably talk about Denilson the way TnT fans talk about Wise.

Doubtful...

Wise scraped onto our Nat'l team due to the lack of a left footer and one good performance against Grenada or something like that....Denilson was selected for Brazil in two consecutive World Cups under two different coaching staffs....

interesting parallel, and I could see where you're coming from but I think Denilson's impact in Brazil was waaaaay bigger than Wise's in T&T....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 11:45:39 AM »

Doubtful...

Wise scraped onto our Nat'l team due to the lack of a left footer and one good performance against Grenada or something like that....Denilson was selected for Brazil in two consecutive World Cups under two different coaching staffs....

interesting parallel, and I could see where you're coming from but I think Denilson's impact in Brazil was waaaaay bigger than Wise's in T&T....

Yeah Wise - Denilson is a strong parallel.

We can't limit the discussion on Wise to pre-world cup.. There was a point in time years ago when Wise was in he pomp, and just like Denilson, used to get a good run in the national team on the left wing..  A real crowd-pleaser...

Used to beat men left, right and center, then let dem come back for more curry, and beat them again.. And just like Denilson, was always lacking in end product..

A kinda man a trini will love, but any other nationality would hate.. Just love to beats.. Always leave yuh wondering, "boy imagine what could have been if he grow a brain eh"..

Denilson was like that too, you always feel with more intelligence he woulda been the best footballer in the world... I remember against Holland in 98, him hitting Aron Winter bout 5 consecutive fan before a cross.. Nuff time make yuh bawl at de TV screen but after all of that did it result in a goal? More often than not NO...

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »
Yes I with JDB and omarldinho on this one...

Back in de day and even on the u-23 team wise was we poor-man's denilson... left foot winger who would beat 3 man on the width of de sideline alone... yuh go hold yuh head and bawl...  ;D

but give him the ball in acres of space with no pressure and he go make yuh hold yuh head and bawl  >:(  ???

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 12:23:11 PM »

Doubtful...

We can't limit the discussion on Wise to pre-world cup.. There was a point in time years ago when Wise was in he pomp, and just like Denilson, used to get a good run in the national team on the left wing..  A real crowd-pleaser...

I know you'll say ah nitpicking but seriously where do you come up with these bold statements? Wise was always a fringe player for T&T- never a regular- and hardly if ever a contender for a spot in any major football played by T&T before this last WC...Denilson, while his fame was short-lived, was a consistent selection (not a starter though) for Brazil for a few years well.....

I'm willing to bet that Wise has less than 20 appearances for T&T....

Like I say, I could see the parallel....but the comparison is weak at best, unless all you've ever seen of Denilson is youtube highlights....

Denilson was once the world's most expensive player......the biggest thing in the Global footballing headlines at one point with about 5 seasons in Spain's liga....

Style of play? ok sure....though Wise can't step in Denilson's shoes....but in terms of relative impact- barely can compare...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:27:05 PM by kicker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »
I doh care nah...I go tune in juss to see man eat beats :rotfl:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

Doubtful...

I know you'll say ah nitpicking but seriously where do you come up with these bold statements? Wise was always a fringe player for T&T- never a regular- and hardly if ever a contender for a spot in any major football played by T&T before this last WC...Denilson, while his fame was short-lived, was a consistent selection (not a starter though) for Brazil for a few years well.....

Like I say, I could see the parallel....but the comparison is weak at best, unless all you've ever seen of Denilson is youtube highlights....

Denilson was once the world's most expensive player......the biggest thing in the Global footballing headlines at one point with about 5 seasons in Spain's liga....

Style of play? ok sure....though Wise can't step in Denilson's shoes....but in terms of relative impact- barely can compare...

Yes you nitpicking...

I rate 20 appearances for trinidad as a good lil run in de side, if that is how much he have.. i remember there was a time when he did get a few games under that belt as he was being looked at for the left side. I think it was in the 2002 campaign when stokely mason end up being de man who was holding down that spot but i could be mistaken..

I never rate a player from youtube, but lewwe be honest, Denilson ent make no impact... Because he went 2 world cups dont mean he sweat regular in 2 world cups... and he never do a thing in de spanish league.. He generally regarded as a flop.

i was never trying to compare wise and denilson player for player, or say they have equal appearances, i was just drawing the obvious parallel..

Geez, is like when yuh posting here, yuh hadda come with a dictionary, thesaurus, grammar check and 100yr tt football almanac...

allyuh wasting allyuh talents yes, im sure there's a pressing need for people to correct CXC exams..

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 02:25:33 PM »

Doubtful...

Yes you nitpicking...

I rate 20 appearances for trinidad as a good lil run in de side, if that is how much he have.. i remember there was a time when he did get a few games under that belt as he was being looked at for the left side. I think it was in the 2002 campaign when stokely mason end up being de man who was holding down that spot but i could be mistaken..

I never rate a player from youtube, but lewwe be honest, Denilson ent make no impact... Because he went 2 world cups dont mean he sweat regular in 2 world cups... and he never do a thing in de spanish league.. He generally regarded as a flop.

i was never trying to compare wise and denilson player for player, or say they have equal appearances, i was just drawing the obvious parallel..

The obvious parallel is that they are both left footers who like to dribble- the part about their relative impact which is the point JDB also made is the part I disagree with

Geez, is like when yuh posting here, yuh hadda come with a dictionary, thesaurus, grammar check and 100yr tt football almanac...

allyuh wasting allyuh talents yes, im sure there's a pressing need for people to correct CXC exams..

Agreed that Denilson was ultimately a "flop" (though I believe he had more quality in his game than many give him credit for), and he most likely won't go down in Brazil as a memorable success but I think his impact on the game for Brazil when he was current player was still relatively alot bigger than Wise's. Not even a close comparison in my view.

No need to be a crybaby either- Big man like you..... Yuh doh need a dictionary or a thesaurus etc just an open mind that accepts that there will be a different view or perspective to yours- no fuss - Everybody has his/her view: you state yours & I state mine....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 02:29:14 PM by kicker »

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »

Doubtful...

that's debatable.
I think it was a good comparison
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 02:58:55 PM »
No need to be a crybaby either- Big man like you..... Yuh doh need a dictionary or a thesaurus etc just an open mind that accepts that there will be a different view or perspective to yours- no fuss - Everybody has his/her view: you state yours & I state mine....

lol..

Oh please, i'm the first one to accept a different perspective, and I have no problem agreeing to disagree... I like meh football so i here to learn as much as i can about it.. different views provide knowledge and enrichment..

What i do have a problem with is the posters who are presented with a compelling argument that happens to be contradictory to theirs, but rather than accept it for what it is, prefer to either:

1. Traverse the whole world wide web to find one vague exception to discount the other person's argument.

2. Undertake a complex analysis of the person's grammar and sentence structure just to try to discount the person's case, try to sound intelligent and somehow hope it gives their own already weak argument some kinda mileage at the same time.

3. Resort to childish insults.

4. Play spelling bee.

5. Beat out de intangibles in the hope of frustrating an argument until they get a last word in.

you know yourselves... last i check this was a football forum, not english comprehension 101.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
With the exception of Latas.  Is there anyone on the TT team at present or in the recent past with the the skills of Denilson. I wish we had him on TT team.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »

lol..

Oh please, i'm the first one to accept a different perspective, and I have no problem agreeing to disagree... I like meh football so i here to learn as much as i can about it.. different views provide knowledge and enrichment..

What i do have a problem with is the posters who are presented with a compelling argument that happens to be contradictory to theirs, but rather than accept it for what it is, prefer to either:

1. Traverse the whole world wide web to find one vague exception to discount the other person's argument.

2. Undertake a complex analysis of the person's grammar and sentence structure just to try to discount the person's case, try to sound intelligent and somehow hope it gives their own already weak argument some kinda mileage at the same time.

4. Play spelling bee.

5. Beat out de intangibles in the hope of frustrating an argument until they get a last word in.

you know yourselves... last i check this was a football forum, not english comprehension 101.

Well all I did was look at it with a different perspective- I didn't insult you, nor your spelling, nor undertake any complex analysis...Not sure what the issue is.

JDB's statement was that Denilson to Brazilians like Wise to Trinis could dribble, but had no impact.....(something like that- not his exact words)....I agreed with the parallel from the standpoint of their style of play....I did not agree with the parallel in terms of their relative impact for their nat'l teams.... Read my posts and you'll see the point I'm making is pretty simple.....Wise is not even on the radar when I think of ex nat'l players to me....To me he was always on the periphery- got a look here and there..... and I consider his selection on our WC team as a result of fortune (lack of natural left sided players) rather than quality....can't say the same for Denilson and his selection in Brazil's team......Denilson, despite his career nosedive (using your terms) was a staple in Brazil's nat'l team set up from 1996-2002.....no parallel there.

Denilson was the hottest youth prospect coming out of Brazil at the time- hence his exorbitant price tag and world record transfer fee....Whilst Wise was considered very talented in his youth, it's a stretch to draw the same parallel in his case.

Hey if you think that Denilson was to Brazil what Wise was to T&T, fine.....I disagree- If you ever get a chance to look at old footage of Copa America 1997, you'll see that Denilson was outstanding- an integral figure in Brazil's triumph, a regular in the team and one of the scorers in the final- then I challenge you to find an instance where Evans Wise was ever outstanding in any tournament for T&T and ever helped T&T win anything......unless you consider the oldest and most prestigious tournament in S.America to be a "vague reference"....

Nothing intangible there..... :beermug:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:37:35 PM by kicker »

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 04:10:08 PM »

lol..

4. Play spelling bee.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 04:12:24 PM »
With the exception of Latas.  Is there anyone on the TT team at present or in the recent past with the the skills of Denilson. I wish we had him on TT team.

Evans Wise... ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »
I like Evans, but you joking, right!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 05:02:04 PM »
I like Evans, but you joking, right!!!

A case could be made.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 05:22:24 PM »
I have seen Evans play in the MLS. He has the ability but he was not consistent. I was hoping that he would force himself in the satrting XI for the WC, but he was disappointing. He showed flashes of brillance against Greneda, that is why Beenie picked. He thought he would be a play maker, but he rode the bench and when he got his turn he was lukewarm, putting it mildly.

1]; } ?>