April 24, 2024, 07:51:30 AM

Author Topic: Striker Jones on strike at Saints.  (Read 12509 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Striker Jones on strike at Saints.
« on: August 24, 2007, 07:26:03 AM »
Striker Jones on strike at Saints.
By: BBC SPORTS.
[/size]

Jones has refused to play against Stoke.

Southampton striker Kenwyne Jones has refused to play for the club after handing in a transfer request. Trinidad & Tobago striker Jones, 22, has been the subject of a bid from Premier League new boys Derby.
Saints boss George Burley told his club's website: "Kenwyne spoke to me on Tuesday and said he didn't want to play against Stoke.
"He confirmed it to me again this morning (Friday) and I am very disappointed by that."
Jones joined Saints from Trinidad club W Connection in July 2004 for a nominal fee. He spent spells on loan at Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday while he adjusted to the English game. But on returning to St Mary's, his progress was apparent, and he has scored 19 goals in 44 appearances for the Saints.
Burley thought he had beaten off Derby's interest, rejecting their initial bid of £2m and slapping a £5m price tag on Jones' head. But the Saints boss also admitted that he would be unable to refuse a substantial bid for the striker, who played for Trinidad and Tobago at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:48:43 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Re: Striker Jones on strike at Saints.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:34:36 AM »
I didn't think it would have reached this far.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:36:33 AM »
has some one actually heard KJ say this? ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 08:56:54 AM »
IF this is true, I think it's a bad move by KJ.
Too late to change it now so I hope it works out for him though.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:02:21 AM »
Who Knows Derby might be offering much more salary

Maybe southamton salary is small as he signed as a relative unknown .

The bonus money alone will be much more.

This is a money related business

His agent must have told him go on strike and the deal will go through.

Sorry to see him leave like this
But who knows what is going on behind the sceens.

They let the english boy Bale leave so why not Jones.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:29:26 AM »
Jones is more of a long term investment for Sunderland even though they allready have Cole, Murphy, Stokes, John, Hysen and Chorpa. Murphy and Jones could always play in midfield or under the strikers and will also have a future if Sunderland should get relegated or even stay up along with Murphy, Hynes and Stokes, while John, Cole and Yorke might have to go. Jones could reap benefits for Sunderland because he is young and very athletic. Figure 2 years in the premiership he develop into a more prolific striker he will also be 24 and Sunderland could make a fortune on him.

Sunderland have more of a chance to stay up rather than Derby. But with all them strikers I am not sure if that might be a good move unless they off load players. And to be honest Stern John allready have a goal while the other strikers like Murphy, Hynes and Stokes have none. Experience is very important.

Stern John needs to up his work rate, a bit lazy. David Platt have faith in him once..... lets hope he gets a fair chance as I think he may pull through this season.

Sunderland should invest in defenders and a central midfielder, maybe Latapy could help I am sure he have some life in him to end the season atleast. It will also be nice to see Latapy in the EPL before he goes out.  :angel:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:34:54 AM by Flex »

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 02:21:01 PM »
Jones is more of a long term investment for Sunderland even though they allready have Cole, Murphy, Stokes, John, Hysen and Chorpa. Murphy and Jones could always play in midfield or under the strikers and will also have a future if Sunderland should get relegated or even stay up along with Murphy, Hynes and Stokes, while John, Cole and Yorke might have to go. Jones could reap benefits for Sunderland because he is young and very athletic. Figure 2 years in the premiership he develop into a more prolific striker he will also be 24 and Sunderland could make a fortune on him.

Sunderland have more of a chance to stay up rather than Derby. But with all them strikers I am not sure if that might be a good move unless they off load players. And to be honest Stern John allready have a goal while the other strikers like Murphy, Hynes and Stokes have none. Experience is very important.

Stern John needs to up his work rate, a bit lazy. David Platt have faith in him once..... lets hope he gets a fair chance as I think he may pull through this season.

Sunderland should invest in defenders and a central midfielder, maybe Latapy could help I am sure he have some life in him to end the season atleast. It will also be nice to see Latapy in the EPL before he goes out.  :angel:

Heard a rumour that Sunderland are going to swap Stern for Kenwyne. Good for one, not the other.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 03:09:49 PM »
Influenced by his agent, maybe?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »
Still...yuh must never burn bridges..........as much as is possible. Carlos fight up...and stay....leave on good terms. Putting in a transfer request might not have gone down well......but going on strike just made the pill more bitter to swallow. I doh agree with him going that far.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:16:25 PM »
Still...yuh must never burn bridges..........as much as is possible. Carlos fight up...and stay....leave on good terms. Putting in a transfer request might not have gone down well......but going on strike just made the pill more bitter to swallow. I doh agree with him going that far.
Common duke you should know better than that, all the facts are not made available and i think jones is being proffessionally adviced on his every move. there must be a good reason for this if it's true.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »

Yuh have to do what you have to do yes. Kenwyne himself must be feel ahow to do that because Southampton management kept the faith in him over the years and had him sweating regular. From what I remember they hardly give him trouble for international duty compared to our other players as well...but at the end of the day A for apple, B for bat and C for yourself (Touches, 83)

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 11:09:45 PM »
Is dat legal 4 him to strike?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 12:06:16 AM »
SOUTHAMPTON, England (AP) — Trinidad & Tobago striker Kenwyne Jones has refused to play in Southampton's next game after handing in a transfer request.

"Kenwyne spoke to me on Tuesday and said he didn't want to play against Stoke," Southampton manager George Burley said Friday on the club's Web site. "He confirmed it to me again this morning and I am very disappointed by that."

Southampton rejected a 2 million pound (US$4 million; €2.9 million) bid for Jones from Premier League club Derby in the offseason, and claimed the Rams had broken League rules by notifying Jones' agent of the bid despite it being rejected.

Southampton wants 5 million pounds (US$10.1 million; €7.4 million) for the 22-year-old Jones.

Jones has scored 23 goals in 80 games for Southampton. However, 18 of those have come in his last 36 appearance.

He has played 28 times for Trinidad and Tobago, scoring two goals.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 02:51:33 AM »
From what i just read on the sunlun site, it appears that jones might be headed for the stadia of light in a 6 mill deal.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 02:56:52 AM »
SOUTHAMPTON, England (AP) — Trinidad & Tobago striker Kenwyne Jones has refused to play in Southampton's next game after handing in a transfer request.

"Kenwyne spoke to me on Tuesday and said he didn't want to play against Stoke," Southampton manager George Burley said Friday on the club's Web site. "He confirmed it to me again this morning and I am very disappointed by that."

Southampton rejected a 2 million pound (US$4 million; €2.9 million) bid for Jones from Premier League club Derby in the offseason, and claimed the Rams had broken League rules by notifying Jones' agent of the bid despite it being rejected.

Southampton wants 5 million pounds (US$10.1 million; €7.4 million) for the 22-year-old Jones.

Jones has scored 23 goals in 80 games for Southampton. However, 18 of those have come in his last 36 appearance.

I find it really abhorrent and borderline unethical of him to refuse to play.  I'm not sure if he's doing this on the advice of his agent or not, but he is seriously running the risk of tainting his reputation, ala Scottie Pippen back in 1994 (?) when he refused to enter the game against the Knicks.  Pippen had to work long and hard to repair his rep and was able to do so in no small part due to his unique talents.  Kenwyne is in posession of no such unique talents and should have instead pressured the club behind the scenes to effect a transfer either in the next week, or during the January transfer window.

As it stands he is trying to force the club's hand, severely affecting its negotiating position with any other club.  How can Southampton justify asking 5 million for a player who is now refusing to play for them?  Other clubs can now say, "we doh have to pay you dat...yuh mad or what?  De man done say he eh playing fuh allyuh.  I'll tell yuh what, I'll give yuh 3 million and take him off allyuh hands, if he eh going tuh play fuh yuh at least yuh getting some money for it".

Needless to say he runs the risk of compromising his own value with other clubs, who may now be wary of paying too much for a demontstrated malcontent.

Bad move dey KJ...short-term you might succeed in getting your wish, but at what long-term costs?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:59:35 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 03:38:27 AM »
I refuse to believe that kenwin took on this task without proper councelling. his agent and who ever  his pro advisors are must've put him up to it, but in a my opinion i believe this might be a big misunderstanding. like i said before, i read on the sunlun site that he was transfered to sunlun for a sum of 6 mill .

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 04:03:48 AM »
Who Knows Derby might be offering much more salary

Maybe southamton salary is small as he signed as a relative unknown .

The bonus money alone will be much more.

This is a money related business

His agent must have told him go on strike and the deal will go through.

Sorry to see him leave like this
But who knows what is going on behind the sceens.

They let the english boy Bale leave so why not Jones.

Welsh

On topic they were saying on the Big Weekend 1 (The TV Programme that does the Football League Reviews)  that Jones is a Nice guy and they said he defiantly wouldn't do this unless he's been advised to.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:11:56 AM by Serial Gum Bumper »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 04:27:28 AM »
I refuse to believe that kenwin took on this task without proper councelling. his agent and who ever  his pro advisors are must've put him up to it, but in a my opinion i believe this might be a big misunderstanding. like i said before, i read on the sunlun site that he was transfered to sunlun for a sum of 6 mill .

On topic they were saying on the Big Weekend 1 (The TV Programme that does the Football League Reviews)  that Jones is a Nice guy and they said he defiantly wouldn't do this unless he's been advised to.

If they pelt yuh in de deepest part of de pool, or you misjudging it decide to jump in...how does that change yuh predicament?

It matters not what the advice is that was given...the final say so is his, whether he has been led wrong, or he is himself taking the wrong path...I believe that THIS is the wrong path that he finds himself on. 

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 04:48:37 AM »
Keane in £6m Jones bid.

Kenwyne Jones is on his way out of Southampton but is Stern John on his way to St.Marys.[/b]

Sunderland boss Roy Keane made a £6million bid for Southampton striker Kenwyne Jones yesterday - as the Trinidad and Tobago star pushed for a move. Keane is willing to pay £5.5m and is also offering Jones's fellow countryman Stern John to tempt Saints into doing business.
The Black Cats chief is desperate for tall target man Jones and has now seen off the rival move by Derby County, but he is also being helped by the fact that the player wants to join him.
Jones was told to stay by boss George Burley last week but his head has been turned by the idea of the Premier League.
Keane has increased his cash offer and can now put veteran John into the move after the arrival of Andy Cole on a free transfer from Portsmouth yesterday. John is prepared to speak to Southampton if they decide to accept him as a makewight in the transfer.
Steve Godwin, chairman of the Saints Trust, said: "Jones is well within his rights to hand in a transfer request.
"But to say he doesn't want to play against Stoke shows his contempt for the club that gave him his big chance and his contempt for the fans."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:52:26 AM by Sando »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones slammed for opting not to play Potters
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 08:32:48 AM »
Jones slammed for opting not to play Potters
Southern Daily Echo

KENWYNE Jones has been condemned for showing a "contemptuous" attitude towards Saints and their supporters.

The Trinidadian striker yesterday dropped a double bombshell on the eve of today's home Championship clash against Stoke.

Not only did he hand in a written transfer request, but it was revealed that he has told boss George Burley he does not want to play against the Potters this afternoon.

That has led to Jones being heavily criticised by Saints fans for his bad timing.

Steve Godwin, chairman of the Saints Trust, said: "Jones is well within his rights to hand in a transfer request.

"But to say he doesn't want to play against Stoke shows his contempt for the club that gave him his big chance and his contempt for the fans."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »
Refusing to play?

lol

Didnt know that was legal!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Southampton fans reactions
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »
Posted by: Jon, Soton
I wouldnt be surprised if he signed for pompey... not that redknapp would buy a piece of shi* like this. Jones does have the same morals as redknapp though!

Posted by: sam, london
I'm not surprised that he wants to move up to the premiership but I believe that the way he has treated Burley and the club by refusing to play is not on considering burley was the one who helped him develop into the player he is.

Posted by: ian
An absolute digrace to football, we have to make a stand at somepoint to stop our club becomming the laughing stock of football, let him rot in reserves.

Posted by: David
ian wrote: An absolute digrace to football, we have to make a stand at somepoint to stop our club becomming the laughing stock of football, let him rot in reserves.
I agree with you in -principle. However there is more to this situation than meets the eye. Who put Jones up to the stirke idea? No doubt his agent has soething to do with it but in any event the action is potentially ill advised as the PFA will no doubt have now told Jones. He can be sued for breach of contract. with Saints alleging serious breach of contract and claiming damages from the player. The club cannot allow the situation to damage the club so I HOPE they throw the book at Jones.

Posted by: Bryan Bridgwater, Courtice Ontario Canada
Unbelievable that something like this is allowed to happen. The player is under contract to Saints and there should be rules in place that protect the employer. Sadly there are no ethics anymore and the Agents are always looking to grease their own palms by taking a percentage of any new contract the player makes. The FA should not tolerate this and Clubs need some kind of protection from this happening Kenwyne Jones has lost any respect he might have had and personally I think the Club will be better off without him.

Posted by: Pete, Stoke
Stoke fan looking in here - players like this should be left to rot in the reserves but that would be unfair to the club. We had the same problem with a player (Sam Bangoura) that even refused to return to the country and to the club that was paying his wages!! He wanted a move away and held the club to ransom :( What premiership club is going to want an unproven striker that pulls this type of stunt?

Posted by: Matt, Liverpool
He is **** anyway , a human battering ram , we do not need supposed players holding our club to ransom , get rid off the twat end off, he just needs a slap for being so snidey .

Posted by: kenis
I want Jones to stay, I think he's a good player who is getting better and better and we missed him against palace. Rasiak / McGoldrick / Wright-Phillips / Saga are a potent force but are different types of strikers to Jones. BUT who in their right mind would turn down the chance to triple/quadrouple their earnings and raise their profile - not just for three years but for the rest of his career as players rarely drop their salaries. The club has done the right thing, the player has done the sensible thing for his future. I'd have like him to give us another season (or at least half a season) and a crack and getting him to the premiership with us, but so be it. Sell him, get a target man replacement and look forward to playing against him next season - in the prem - or wave as we swap places.

Posted by: Bryan, Up North
I Hope George makes Kenwyn come to SMS today so he can feel the love from the fans. I guess wherever he is he'll still hear what we think of him. F**K OFF you Judas.

Posted by: Official Club Response, Southampton
The following response has sadly not been approved by Southampton Football Club but it's the line I hope they adopt - "Whilst Mr Jones is within his rights to submit a transfer request, refusing to play for the club is something else. We will not be held to ransom in this way by an individual. He will not be sold to Derby County, Sunderland or anyone else whilst this situation persists. Whilst Mr Jones will not now be considered for today's game with Stoke, we hope he will alter his stance and make himself available for the QPR trip on September 1st, the day after the transfer window closes. Mr Jones will be afforded training facilities throughout this period but will not be permitted to train with the 1st team squad whilst he is refusing to play for the club. So, as of today, Mr Jones is not available for transfer, is being penalised financially for the stance he has taken but will be welcomed back into the squad should he elect to make himself available for selection once more." But I rather suspect the club will take the money and get shot of him, which will be a pity as it will vindicate this unacceptable behaviour

Posted by: DAN B, BOURNEMOUTH
OH DEAR, ANOTHER SHORT TERM THINKING MUPPET, DERBY ARE 'ABSOLUTE CERTAINTIES' TO BE PLAYING CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON AND IF HE GOT HIS BACKSIDE IN GEAR HE COULD BE IN THE PREMIERSHIP NEXT SEASON WITH SAINTS, THERES OBVIOUSLY MORE TO THIS AND YOU CAN ALWAYS RIGHTLY POINT THE FINGER AT THE GREEDY AGENT REALISING THAT HE CAN GET A CUT OF A PLAYER WHO HAS BEEN VALUED AT AROUND TWICE HIS MARKET VALUE, THE AGENT KNOWS HE'S UNLIKELY TO GET OFFERED THIS SORT OF MONEY FOR THE PLAYER AGAIN SO HAS TO UNSETTLE HIM, THE RULES NEED LOOKING AT COS THESE PLAYERS ACT LIKE SPOILT BRATS AND SEEM TO FORGET WHO GOT THEM WERE THEY ARE NOW, THE ONLY LOYAL ONES ARE THE FANS. I SAY FLOG HIM NOW AND THEN STICK A CLAUSE IN HIS CONTRACT THAT IF SAINTS ARE IN THE PREMIERSHIP NEXT SEASON AND DERBY GO DOWN HE HAS TO RESIGN FOR SAINTS AS ASSISTANT TEALADY.

Posted by: THE RELEGATOR
Well done KJ you have done what most SFC players would like to do,hope you get your deserved move soon and avoid the ridicule of RELEGATION at SMS.

Posted by: Me hat on fire, 30 miles from Skate Land
I always thought that players signed a contract that stated they want to play football for this club.This man clearly does not want to play for us again so only two answers sell him for 6 million or stop his pay!

Posted by: hil, soton
i think he is very unprofesional people go on strike to improve working conditions in the real world, after several consultations between union and companys only then are they legaly allowed to strike. he should try working in a factory with conditions we have to put up with . if i was a derby fan i would hope he didnt come to us. i hope we never sign anyone else this unprofesional again!!!! i hope he has had his wages stopped as we would if on strike!

Posted by: jamie, hedge end
ungrateful **** he'll b bk wit derby stupid **** !!!

Posted by: Jockster
If he doesn't want to play, get rid of him! £5million pounds for him - deal of the season! If Derby want to pay that for him, more fool them!

Posted by: Fielder, Southampton
weve lost out either way , if he gets sold we won't see the money , if he stays we know he doesn't wanna play for us anymore........... another humilation at St Mary's ffs

Posted by: GS, Hedge End
Heres to hoping the fact he's handed in a transfer request wont decrease how much Derby are willing to pay for him.

Posted by: Pat
This is an another example of how anybody who thinks they have any talent wants out of this club.Another vivid example of the lowly level that the administration of the club has now dropped to. In essence we have the inmates running the mad house. Everything is crumbling from within. George Burley has to be like the little Dutch boy trying to plug all the holes in the dike. As soon as he gets one hole plugged a leak springs somewhere else. Right now team spirit and loyalty has to be about as low as it can possibly get.

Posted by: Watchdog
How is it the club's fault? It's an example of another greedy scumbag player who thinks first and foremost with his wallet and how much bling he can grab himself. He was nothing a few years ago, Saints made him into a footballer and this is how we are repaid. He can't even act like a man, he's acting like a spoilt little kid. Forget the size of Jones, he's nothing but a wimp and I hope any Saints fan who may bump into him, tells him exactly what they think of him. Get lost Jones, hope you go to Derby and do your knee in first game and that's your career over. Footballers, 99% of them are tóssers.

Posted by: pete, lymington
get rid of him now he is not fit to wear the red and white,plus fine him for refusing to play.if anyone of us where to refuse to work for your boss what would happen to you,get sacked. com on you saints

Posted by: Wazza
Get rid of Kenwyn, I'd be surprised if he managed to get into double figures in the prem. Sell the turncoat ASAP, bolster the defence and get a replacement striker.

Posted by: PJR
How can this be the clubs fault? Bottom line is that he wants bigger money and is happy to go and play for Derby for the next 8 months before returning to the Championship next season, and then the whole cycle will start again. As far as I'm concerned he can get lost and maybe we can get Howard and Moore in return. It's clear that someone has whispered in his ear that if he takes this course of action then a club will be willing to buy him.

Posted by: leigh, coventry
having been brought up on Channon, Osgood, Shearer, Keegan, Worthington, Letiss etc etc it pained me to know that as a fan I was paying the wages of the untalented, lumbersome spoilt brat that is jones. Get him out asap and lets see natural players such as Rasiak, Saga, McGoldrick and Lallana given there chance. Jones & Derby deserve each other.

Posted by: Mike
Greedy and ungratful! The bloke could hardly kick a ball when he came to Saints but was given a chance cause the coaches said he was a gifted athlete with lots of potential. And this is how he repays the club. I say cash in on the £5mil (never in a million years worth that), then sit back and watch him get splinters at Derby. Plenty of better people to play up front at the club. Come on you RED AND WHITE MACHINE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Pat
Sorry guys. I am a Saints fan and love the club as much as the next guy. But the fact is the club is run by a group of incompetents and the players know it even if some fans refuse to see it. At the moment they know the club has no future and they all want out. Their behavior is despicable but that's the way players are these days. No loyalty. Only the fans are truly loyal to the club.

Posted by: patred, East ANGLIA
We should not forget Derby's part in all this. Nor his agent. Has he been [bold]'instructed'[/bold] to take this drastic step?? It stinks to me, and the FA should investigate the affair.

Posted by: what a c**t
grab the money with both hands. He's not worth two million let alone five - that's a coulpe of good championship players and he'll flop in the premiership that's for sure. good riddance.

Posted by: Stu, New Forest
Good riddance - even Ali Dia was better than Jones....and i'm not kidding. Said it weeks ago, anything over 2 Mill for this clown id a deal of the century. Get shot now.

Posted by: Kingsland Boy, New Forest
I suppose we should have seen this coming. Billy Davies with his continual comments to the press along with a greedy agent have obviously unsettled Jones. Bearing in mind that he has only been a pro for two years or so £5m is a pretty good return. I'm not convinced he is EPL standard - yet. He might be in two years time but he won't developed by Davies and Derby. Sunderland might be a better move for him. Keane would develop him. For Saints - the money must be reinvested in the squad either now or in January. A good centre back, two full backs and a creative midfielder please. I understand that there's no love lost between GB & Davies stemming back to their time at Ayr(?)I hope GB and the Board (League?)ensure that Davies is left in no doubt that his behaviour has been unacceptable.

Posted by: Dan Lowe, Southampton
lets all cast our minds back to the World Cup..... Jones looked out of his depth in the group matches against some of the 'lesser' players in the tournament, and most of those wouldnt shine in the Premiership. Imagine how poor he'll look against top quality players week in week out. Sell him for as much as we can get NOW. Use the money to buy at least two defenders and then lets pass him and Drby next season as they go down and we go up!!! Come on, we're only 3 weeks into the season after all. There is plenty of time to get things right.

Posted by: SFC4EVA, Southampton
Get rid of this PRE-MADONNA now! He's the same as all the rest! Use saints to learn the trade then move on to bigger things...only it has been proved recently that they don't always go on to bigger things do they?! Look at Beatie, Walcott, Davis (Kevin)...all went chasing money and where are they now?! If Derby hadn't spouted off about wanting him he would have been happy staying at saints and scoring goals for us! Saints are nothing more than a developmental club that brings players up and sells them on. We have been for years but for some reason the money we make from these players never gets invested back into the team but feeds the greedy people in power! Get 5 mil for him or 3 mil plus a player maybe?! Whatever we get for him has to go straight back into buying new players!

Posted by: shaun, southampton
This spoilt brat is under contract with saints,he wont get his own way so he goes on strike!! ,i he and says he wont play for us again,i know we need the money but we are being held to ransom! why not teach these jumped up overpayed ???? a lesson and let him see out his contract in the reserves

Posted by: The_Shotster, Southampton
I just hope that Derby (who will eventually get OUR man!) are brought to book by the Football League for tapping up and unsettling Kenwyne. If he wants to go to Derby then that's his choice. He will get a maximum of 30 games as starter or sub before Derby get the push from the Premier League because they WILL GO DOWN. The supporters had better brace themselves! Naughty Derby, tut-tut!

Posted by: ARB, Southampton
£5million+ deal of the decade, no one rated him till the middle of last season. Take the money and lets start playing McGoldrick he will be a much better player.

Posted by: James Beresford, Luton
Ok..call his bluff. If he's on strike, without having taken a ballot etc and given 2 weeks notice to the club, Saints can stop his wages immediately. So we don't pay him, thereby keeping the dosh and he can rot on the sidelines. Then only go for what we value him...and £5 million is too low..Derby can have him for £7.5 million..all of it up friont, not in stages
Ok..call his bluff. If he's on strike, without having taken a ballot etc and given 2 weeks notice to the club, Saints can stop his wages immediately. So we don't pay him, thereby keeping the dosh and he can rot on the sidelines. Then only go for what we value him...and £5 million is too low..Derby can have him for £7.5 million..all of it up friont, not in stages

Posted by: Jon, Soton
Just when i thought that perhaps loyalty was going to be a key with Jones and he stayed, he has pulled out the dagger and stabbed us (the fans and team) in our backs. Has any player got any real passion for their team anymore. Like old le tiss and current Surman. When we brought Jones he was nothing and gradually we have started to turn him into a good footballer. Soon as he gets a sniff of the big time, hes off. It is a sad state of affairs, but its all about money these days. Well Mr JONES, i hope you go to Derby, you play crap, get dropped and become a what could have been!!! I just hope you dont face the saints faithful again. Come on Burley, just make sure you take at least the five mill for him and now ask for Moore as part of the deal.

Posted by: saintsmad
Seeing he is on strike and refusing to play does that mean saints will be stopping his wage from immediate effect. players have too much power these days, if it were not for the fact that 5mil would be very helpful I would be tempted to do what leeds utd did when one of thier players did the same thing, kept him on contract, refused to play him even in the reserves for 2 years, by that time nobody wanted him!

Posted by: Bugger off Jones, St marys
I hope the club stop his wages. He is acting like a child. Who the hell does he think he is. Hes nothing, and not only is he being disloyal to the club by his behaviour, i cant believe he wants to go to the team that stopped us from promotion. I saw him in town not so long ago, parading around in a Bentley with BWP. Can we get rid of them both. Jones is clearly in it for the bling (beware other clubs) and BWP is useless. Its a shame we could not just leave him in the dark whilst hes on contract. As saintsmad mentioned with Leeds. I think it was Tomas Brolin that they did it to mate!

Posted by: PJR
We turned down the bid, Burley said it was his decision and then Jones takes it out of his hands. Basically it's a money issue - he'll get shed loads more even if he's only in the Prem for one season and will therefore be better off financially. I have no issue with players leaving, but if you sign a contract then you should have the intention of seeing it out. If the club says you stay, then you stay. If you don't like the contract length when it's put in front of you then don't sign it. However, players want security but aren't prepared to see it through if a better offer comes along even if the club doesn't want to sell. Still, £5m for him is fantastic business.

Posted by: paul, isle of wight
hope you rot in the reserves.just get lost jones and move to darby and then we will see if your any good.i hope you come back for another team we will make your life hell.

Posted by: Patience of a Saint !, Southampton
So the soap opera continues! The script was written when the arrogant Baird repayed his loyalty to the club and fans by demanding a transfer! Instead of putting him straight into the reserves to stew and see out his agreed and signed contract he got what he wanted. That was seen by some players, who have got way above themselves, as a green light to do the same. Put Jones in the reserves for a few weeks, he'll soon change his tune and it will send a message out, to those that need to see it, that the club still insist on some basic standards from its players. IF and it is a BIG IF, there are interested investors still willing to end this summer of soap opera, then the board must stop holding them to ransom with their unrealistic demands, before there is little left for them to be interested in, and they walk away. When the investment is there the club can move forward from all this nonsense, untill then.... Tune in same time for tomorrows episode and Lets hope its 3 points gained and not another comedy of errors by highly paid proffessionals!

Posted by: David, Oxford
The way things are being handled at Board level, you can understand to a degree why a player would be concerned about their future and be flattered by an approach by a premiership (however fleeting) club. That said the situation hasn't happened overnight, Jones has known about the interest for some time but we assume, assured the manager that he intended to stay. If he isn't man enough to be honest from the start, perhaps him and Derby deserve each other. Just do it now, get the money in and buy somebody that will show more committment to their club

Posted by: adam
I am absolutely gutted,not for the fact that jones is a great player because hes not but just because this has all come before a very important game tomorrow,knowing saints it will give us a negative feeling and we'll crumble against stoke (it usually happens).i also feel that 5 million would be great if we had 3 weeks left of the transfer window but seen as though we only have a week i dont see us replacing him therefore were gonna be short.is it just me or does every saints fan feel totally let down and deflated by this news.im absolutely gutted and would not be surprised if we collapse tomorrow.

Posted by: Ed case
as i predicted way back KJ would be sold. now we have a story very reminiscent of the Wayne Rooney leaving everton saga. let me refresh your memory. rooney played well for his club, product of their youth structure eventually went for over £20m... but could everton say thanks wayne, and thanks Man u for the cash. no... they embarked on a spin campaign to make it look like Wayne wanted to go, and they had no option but to take the measly £20m and be gone with him... that episode made everton look very bad amongst professionals. it wasn't necessary, they thought it would make them look good in the fans eye... now look at all the comments, alleged but never followed up on illeagal approaches concerning KJ (and Vaifara) even in this paer yesterday GB was saying no sale! when apparently (if you believe a fecking word of it) KJ had already done the dirty and threw in, a totally unsolicited transfer request. wake up and smell millbrook!!! the board told GB "we are going to sell by the end of the transfer window, you put out what stories you like to make it look like it wasn't yours or a club decision, and you might get £1m from the deal to strengthen the squad". this is the oldest manager/board trick in the book...... you need to open your eyes!! GB has his hands tied, if he rocks the boat he will go, and he knows what chance there is of being compensated right now. Viafara will go next week.

Posted by: Jockster
He has let his team mates down and let's hope that this will galvanise them to produce a great performance and three points!
Jones is a waster, loser and not worth £5m, let's hope no one comes in for him and the only time we see him is on a cold Tuesday night at Staplewood in the reserves playing with younger lads who are far more skilful and who try 100% more than him!
Shame on you Jones!

Posted by: Phil, Downton
On a personal note I think Jones does not have the football brain to match his football brawn and hope we get 5 million plus for him. I hope that despite the newspsper shock headlines George has seen this coming and has a replacement lined up before the window closes.
For me I am a Saint and will support the team, not the players as individuals. Players come and go but I cannot waste my life over players who have been and gone, often displaying a total lack of loyalty to the club which has more than often made them!!!. I can only support what we have got today to the best of my ability.
So long Jones, hope you do better than Beattie.

Posted by: saints fan, southampton
Let him train with the youths till his contract finishes or if he doesnt want that and goes awol then stop his pay, just make sure he never wears a saints shirt again! hopefully when his contract has expired no one in premership will want him!! Anyway the teams who are after you jones are crap and will be back down after a year and with that you would of shown the whole premership that your not as good as you think your just a championship player!!

Posted by: Saint George, Southampton
How about this chant for 2moro; He's big, He's quick, He's a money-grabbing pr*ck, Kenwyne Jones, Kenwyne Jones, WE HATE KENWYNE, WE HATE KENWYNE!

Posted by: Mad Mike, Totton
I'm disgusted with the player's attitude. The football league should be able to impose some sort of sanction on him. It is purely greed on the players part and it is an insult to the club who have improved him as a player beyond recognition. It would be tempting to say that he should play out his contract in the reserves but that would be financial suicide on the club's part. I can't see that any aspect of this saga can be blamed on the club - it is symptomatic of the attitude of many young players in the game today. Obviously he will now need to be sold but it only gives Burley a week to bring in a replacement. I re-iterate that the player is a disgrace to the club and to his profession.

Posted by: Dave, Millbrook
Jones = Over raited greedy Wanka! Good Riddance to the Coont!

Posted by: saints1974
Let him go it will be a good laugh to see him in the prem no way is he good enough. The money is laughable and who wants a player at the club who holds us to ransom. I miss Le Tiss an amazing player and loyal would pay a fortune to see him play again as for Jones maybe 50p would cover a ticket to see him.

Posted by: Steve Smith, Abingdon
Sign of the times I am afraid! Jones has improved in the last year, but prior to that he was one of the worst professional footballers I have ever seen in terms of control and awareness, but now he apparently thinks he's Ronaldinho! As I said a few weeks ago, we should drive him to Derby for £5million. (Doubt if Keane will touch him with a bargepole now, or any other manager worth his salt, so Derby it is!) Pity it's a bit late to spend the money, but McGoldrick is in a different class anyway!

Posted by: jason, southampton(on hols in majorca)
take the 5 millon he is not fit to wear the shirt no more.give the money to george and get someone who is willing to play for the club

Posted by: Steve Smith, Abingdon
PS...if I refused to do my job , I would get the sack, and if football had any honour left, no-one would touch Jones after this. Anyway, I do not want this sort of player at my club and congatulations to Derby for getting a great 'pro'!

Posted by: Matt, Southampton
It would be just punishment if noone came in for him now. Problem is managers feel they can change players hence why Anelka still manages to find work.

Posted by: david warner, gosport
kenwyne jones is an absoloute disgrace and has shown a total lack of proffesionalism and class as a footballer and as a person. get rid of him now, i dont care if its for 1 pence let alone 5 million! there are people in this world who want to work but cant get a job, or cant work due to health and he's nothing but a footballer who is overpaid and lets face it over rated and he refuses to "work" because he wants to go to derby county (who will probably be relegated anyway). he's just in it for the money(like too many players these days) if i were at derby after hearing this i wouldn't want a player like that coming to my club no matter how good he is. i'd withdraw the offer. at saints in the situation that we're in we need players who will give everything for the shirt, the team, the city, the fans and yes for themselves too. if they're not prepared to do that then they're no good. sell him now and if jones needs some help in packing his bags i'd be more than happy to help. stick rasiak and saganowski up front and let them build a partnership, they'll get us goals, and with powell alongside thomas at the heart of defence we'll soon sure that defence up. its gonna be 2 nil to the saints tommorrow and then we'll all feel a little better about things,then jones will be gone and soon forgotten and we'll wave to him as we pass them when we go up and they're going down!

Posted by: Steve Reynolds, Southampton
Poor old Kenwyne, the grass may look a lot greener up in Derby at the moment (having been there I assure you it isn't) but this time next season when you're back in the Championship will you be looking (or perhaps your agent will on you behalf) for another mediocre club to join? If you don't want to stay give Bradley W-P or McGoldrick a chance. Perhaps playing those who want to be there will help our current predicament.

Posted by: derek james, gosport
whatever else happens he has alienated the fans and cannot possibly play for this club again. the only sensible thing to do is get as much as possible for him.

Posted by: Ian, Turkey
Much as it would be nice that he is punished by rotting in the reserves, realistically it will never happen. The bean counters will not allow,nor afford, an asset to see out a contract in this way and will give in to his demands for the money. I only hope the club have the bottle to stop his wages and take him to court for breach of contract in refusing to play. As is always the case, the scum in football will win.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 09:08:17 AM »
I hope JONES DON T  go Sunderland ,pompey maybe anywhere but sund with they whiney fans ,allways blaming the trinis . If Carlos could leave them to better fete lol ,let them build they super team and go back down .
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:14:07 AM by Quagmire »

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 09:11:35 AM »

I find it really abhorrent and borderline unethical of him to refuse to play.  I'm not sure if he's doing this on the advice of his agent or not, but he is seriously running the risk of tainting his reputation, ala Scottie Pippen back in 1994 (?) when he refused to enter the game against the Knicks.  Pippen had to work long and hard to repair his rep and was able to do so in no small part due to his unique talents.  Kenwyne is in posession of no such unique talents and should have instead pressured the club behind the scenes to effect a transfer either in the next week, or during the January transfer window.

As it stands he is trying to force the club's hand, severely affecting its negotiating position with any other club.  How can Southampton justify asking 5 million for a player who is now refusing to play for them?  Other clubs can now say, "we doh have to pay you dat...yuh mad or what?  De man done say he eh playing fuh allyuh.  I'll tell yuh what, I'll give yuh 3 million and take him off allyuh hands, if he eh going tuh play fuh yuh at least yuh getting some money for it".

Needless to say he runs the risk of compromising his own value with other clubs, who may now be wary of paying too much for a demontstrated malcontent.

Bad move dey KJ...short-term you might succeed in getting your wish, but at what long-term costs?
I disagree. This happens in football all the time. It is nothing like the Pippen incident.

He is trying to force the hand of the club when he has the leverage. He is hot property right now. His value would increase further as a EPL player scoring goals than at a team that is struggling to remain financially solvent.

Good move.
TnT Patriot

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 09:25:14 AM »
I hope JONES DON T  go Sunderland ,pompey maybe anywhere but sund with they whiney fans ,allways blaming the trinis .
To be fair, they blame everyone for everything. Nobody is good enough for their team. They blame Halford. They blame Danny Collins. They blame Murphy. They blame Keiran.  It's only because we root for Dwight and Stern that we pay attention to their criticism and it gets to us.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:28:35 AM by Monkey Genius »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 09:38:49 AM »
I finding it really hard to want to support them ,hope Jones goes elsewhere .

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 09:52:10 AM »
Hmmm, all I have to say on this is, never believe everything you hear (read). There is something called "spin", and George Burley is using a hell of a lot of it.

Stay tuned, thr facts will come out. Eventually. :-\
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
I finding it really hard to want to support them ,hope Jones goes elsewhere .
Almost every English message board is like that. If you go to Southampton board right now, they dissing Kenwyne AND Stern. They also dissing they whole defense and the manager. It seems like English football message board culture is about blaming and insulting and thinking nobody is good enough.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »
Maybe your rite ,and am being harsh ,but sund board get the feeling there a sinking ship and they want to drag everybody down with them .I guess the english took there hooliganism to the chat rooms lol .
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:23:58 AM by Quagmire »

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 10:21:44 AM »
ah wud like to see d message board 4 d england senior team if it hav one...d amount ah cussin dat go b goin on dey....www probably close it down

1]; } ?>