March 29, 2024, 01:41:05 AM

Author Topic: 'Sell Berbatov? I'd rather die' - Insists Jol  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'Sell Berbatov? I'd rather die' - Insists Jol
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:14:54 PM »
Berbatov is pure class.  Watch allyuh mouth!  Read what Jol say.

'Sell Berbatov? I'd rather die' - Insists Jol

Source: www.soccernet.com

Tottenham boss Martin Jol has revealed he turned down an approach for striker Dimitar Berbatov.

The 26-year-old Bulgaria international has attracted interest following his impressive rookie season in the Premier League, but Jol insists he does not want to sell.

'I had one approach and I said 'I'd rather die than sell him',' said the Dutchman.

Jol insists there has been no falling out between the pair following a poor start to his second campaign at White Hart Lane.

'Berbatov loves me,' Jol said.

'If he is playing well, he gets all the praise and if he is not doing well I have to tell him.'

Jol's sentiments were in stark contrast to those of Berbatov's agent, Emil Dantchev, who yesterday claimed Manchester United had made a firm offer for the striker and said he will meet Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy at some stage next week to discuss the interest.

United last night rejected Dantchev's claims, even though it is believed at one stage this summer manager Sir Alex Ferguson made a tentative inquiry for the 26-year-old Bulgaria international.

'The club has categorically not made a bid for Dimitar Berbatov,' said chief executive David Gill.

The future of Jermain Defoe appears less certain after Jol urged the England striker to prove his commitment to Spurs by signing a new deal.

Chairman Daniel Levy is wary of Defoe seeing out his contract and departing for free as Sol Campbell did in 2001.

Jol said: 'He tells everyone he loves the club but he hasn't signed a contract. I don't know what can happen if there are other clubs because the chairman said to me that he doesn't want another Campbell on his hands.'

Defoe is in the squad for tomorrow's clash at Manchester United, with the fixture coming at the end of a chaotic week at Tottenham.

Jol yesterday appeared relaxed at Spurs Lodge despite the infamous meeting between club officials and Sevilla boss Juande Ramos, with the Dutchman making light of the events that sparked a turbulent seven days.

Levy held a meeting with Jol on Tuesday and issued a statement giving him his '100%' backing, although confidence in his own ability is not something the Spurs boss is lacking after consecutive fifth-placed finishes in the Premier League.

It may be the most difficult week of his managerial career but Jol claimed that the consequences of finishing outside the Champions League places are hypothetical.

'The only thing that is not hypothetical is the two fifth-placed finishes we had,' he said. 'That is what they wanted.

'If I said to the chairman `I'll give you two top-fives in two years' he would have laughed at me. We did that.

'Five quarter-finals in the cups is a great achievement but now I realise - that is why this is a very good club, the ambition is higher.

'I get told I have to win a cup (by the media). Tell other managers they have to win a cup!'

Jol, however, is determined to finish the job he started nearly three years ago.

'If we do well, everything will be forgotten,' he said.

'I could walk out and go to a Champions League club but I want to stay here because I believe in those boys and as long as they believe in me there is no issue.

'I can work anywhere in the world but this is my mission. This is what I love.' 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Sell Berbatov? I'd rather die' - Insists Jol
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:48:04 AM »
Interest in Berbatov is no surprise at all. None. Spurs has to know that losing him is more or less inevitable ... they've done what any sensible team that could afford it would do - increase his $$$ in the interim ... motivation and appreciation all in one perhaps.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 08:56:05 AM »
what ppl missing hear is how confident the man sound about going to manu

and the manu admins trying to deny there wasnt and approach......BIG FAT LONG STEUPSs
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:09:50 AM »
what ppl missing hear is how confident the man sound about going to manu

and the manu admins trying to deny there wasnt and approach......BIG FAT LONG STEUPSs

people seem to forget man utd had short list him from since d season close, i suspect they close to a deal
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:13:30 AM »

'
Jol's sentiments were in stark contrast to those of Berbatov's agent, Emil Dantchev, who yesterday claimed Manchester United had made a firm offer for the striker and said he will meet Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy at some stage next week to discuss the interest.

United last night rejected Dantchev's claims, even though it is believed at one stage this summer manager Sir Alex Ferguson made a tentative inquiry for the 26-year-old Bulgaria international.

'The club has categorically not made a bid for Dimitar Berbatov,' said chief executive David Gill.

manu allyuh taking this red DEVILS thing too far man what all d lying for?
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:17:48 AM »

'

:devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 09:34:17 AM »

'

heheheh. is just one big game. in this instance, they probably not lying tho'... Until ManU talks to Tottenham and say they will offer $X Amount for Dimitar, then no bid. They also have to be careful how they approach the player. I don't know the rules well..but I don't think the can approach the agent with a bid since he is contracted with Tottenham. Isn't that an illegal approach?  Right now, they probably only showing interest and putting together the cold hard numbers together as we speak

1]; } ?>