April 25, 2024, 05:43:15 PM

Author Topic: This is one hat-trick I don't want - Yorke  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is one hat-trick I don't want - Yorke
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:02:34 AM »
This is one hat-trick I don't want - Yorke
By James Hunter (Evening Chronicle)

DWIGHT YORKE will return to Manchester United on Saturday determined to avoid an unwelcome Premiership hat-trick.

The Sunderland midfielder played in the Black Cats’ 2-0 defeat against Liverpool at the Stadium of Light on Saturday, which came hard on the heels of the previous weekend’s 3-0 reverse at Wigan.

That means Sunderland have suffered back-to-back defeats for only the third time since Roy Keane took over a year ago this week.

Former Manchester United stars Keane and Yorke will not want to suffer a third successive Premiership defeat at the hands of their old club, which would mean the worst run since Keane took charge.

Yorke said: “We have had two very hard games versus Liverpool and now we have got Man United.

“We have to have belief in ourselves. We’ve suffered two defeats in a row for only the third since Roy came in as gaffer.

“We’re not used to it, we don’t like it and we have to put it straight as quickly as possible.

“Whatever the results, we have to learn from those games and use them to help us improve for the games ahead.”

Yorke added: “We knew it was always going to be tough against a quality team, but at least we battled a bit more than at Wigan the previous week.

“Liverpool were always going to have their chances, and they had a lot more than us, but at least we had a positive mentality.”

Before Sunderland head to Old Trafford they are away to League One side Luton Town in the second round of the Carling Cup tomorrow.

The Black Cats will have good memories of their last trip to Kenilworth Road, where they triumphed 5-0 on the final day of last season to clinch the Championship title against the already-relegated Hatters.

Sunderland are understood to be on the verge of signing striker Kenwyne Jones from Southampton in a possible swap deal involving Stern John.

Keane said: “I don’t think it is right for me to comment on players who are under contract with clubs, but we are trying to bring in two or three players this week.

“Certain clubs will want to find replacements and with only a few days to go until the transfer window closes, I have to weigh up whether a player coming in will be a major benefit and, if so, I might have to let one or two players go to make the deal happen.”

Meanwhile, Keane has decided against offering Roma defender Sammy Kuffour a contract after his spell training with the club.
New Yorke
Sunderland Echo

DWIGHT Yorke admits even he's on a learning curve as he comes to terms with being a Premier League midfielder.

Sunderland's most experienced campaigner made his name as a potent striker who won everything with Manchester United.
The test for any newly-promoted club does not get much more difficult than Saturday's 2-0 home defeat to Liverpool – or this weekend's trip to Old Trafford.
But at the age of almost 36, Yorke now says has to forge a fresh reputation in the engine room of the world's fastest-moving league.
Yorke said: "As much as I've had a lot of experience at this level, it was not in central midfield. It's very different for me.
"Everyone knows me as a Premiership striker, not a midfielder. I've got to take time to adjust.
"In the Championship, perhaps you get away with it.
"That's no disrespect to the teams at that level, it's just that you're playing international players week in week out in the Premiership – top quality players.
"It's a steep learning curve, even for me.
"I felt I could deal with it. I felt I would be experienced enough to do it, but it is harder than anyone thought it would be.
"No-one said it would be easy, but I have to meet that challenge head on and work extra hard to make it work."
Yorke says so many of the Black Cats' squad are finding their feet in the top flight.
And he feels that the addition of former Old Trafford strike partner Andy Cole will be a help.
"It's nice to see the old faces around again," said the former Trinidad & Tobago captain.
"Andy brings a wealth of experience to the club. His goal tally in the Premiership is unbelievable and I'm sure he'll add a few more now.
"He is a welcome addition to the club.
"He will contribute to the team and the atmosphere around the club.
"You look round our dressing room and 95 per cent of our players haven't played in the Premiership. That's a lot.
"I'm not saying they're not good players, but they haven't been round the block and graced this level for a lot of seasons.
"We have to bed in and adjust very quickly.
"We've had a hard game against Liverpool and another now at Man United.
"Whatever the results, we have to learn from those games and use them to help us improve for the games ahead."
Saturday's defeat to Liverpool came on the back of a 3-0 reverse at Wigan a week earlier – Sunderland's first back-to-back losses of 2007.
"We have to have belief in ourselves," added Yorke.
"We've suffered two defeats in a row for the first time in a long time.
"We're not used to it.
"It's very different for us as a team and for the gaffer – we don't like it and we have to put it straight as quickly as possible."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: This is one hat-trick I don't want - Yorke
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:32:42 AM »
Guess Dwight can geh way with calling him "Andy" ... :)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:36:39 AM »
Hopefully we will see both Dwight and Stern/Kenwyne vs Men Utd this weekend

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:12:04 AM »
Guess Dwight can geh way with calling him "Andy"

Could you imagine if Dwight called Andy....Teddy??
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 11:27:02 AM »

Dat eh happenin.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 02:28:42 PM »
You would have a better chance at hitting the lotto, since i think stern's days are numbered.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »
You would have a better chance at hitting the lotto, since i think stern's days are numbered.

dais why I put Stern or Kenwyne...whatever new signings hoped to be made by Sunderland should happen this week

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:29:42 PM »

dais why I put Stern or Kenwyne...whatever new signings hoped to be made by Sunderland should happen this week
My bad.            positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 03:18:27 AM »
on saturday...it is war...simple as that....  utd all the way....           i wouldnt mind a 5-2 vctory  with yorke and stern scoring 1 each

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 04:24:24 AM »
on saturday...it is war...simple as that....  utd all the way....           i wouldnt mind a 5-2 vctory  with yorke and stern scoring 1 each

country before club.

any day.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 06:00:44 AM »

country before club.

any day.

yeh sure jeff...  like if you would back sunderland over arsenal....   besides 3 trini are there not 22... 1 of which may start...edwards injured and keane like he doesnt know that stern is his saviour...   

Utd all the way

1]; } ?>