April 24, 2024, 08:00:48 PM

Author Topic: Higgy: Black Cats are here to stay  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Higgy: Black Cats are here to stay
« on: August 31, 2007, 07:56:05 AM »
Higgy: Black Cats are here to stay
/ RivalsDM
Posted: 1 hour ago

Sunderland new boy Danny Higginbotham is confident the club's summer spending will help to secure them a lasting Premier league future.
The 28-year-old defender joined the Black Cats in a £3million move from Stoke on Wednesday as Roy Keane made a triple transfer breakthrough.

Keane's swoops for Higginbotham, £6million Southampton striker Kenwyne Jones and free agent Ian Harte served as a further statement of intent by last season's Cola Championship winners.

Higginbotham said: "It shows what the club is all about. They are not here just to stay for one season, they want to make a go of it and establish themselves in the Premier League.

"People are saying they have spent money, but if that's the situation, that's great.

"They can bring players in and hopefully get the team sorted in the Premier League and be here for a long time to come."

Sunderland head to face Manchester United at Old Trafford, where Keane served as skipper with such distinction, on the back of three successive defeats, the most humiliating of which came in the Carling Cup at League One Luton on Tuesday evening.

With captain Dean Whitehead out for six months with a knee ligament injury, winger Carlos Edwards sidelined by a hamstring tear and full-back Greg Halford suspended, the manager's resources are depleted despite his recruitment drive.

Higginbotham and Jones could be thrown straight into the mix, and the striker is relishing he chance to prove himself in the top flight despite his price tag.

The 22-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international said: "No matter what league you are playing in, a player coming into a new club is going to be under some pressure.

"But I'll try not to worry about it and try to make my performances better every time I play and do my best for Sunderland.

"Every player is different. When you come into the Premier League, you have to find your own way and basically play how you play.

"Hopefully, the way I play will get me some success.

"I have experienced Premier League opposition before, so I think I know what I'm up against and I am welcoming the challenge."

League defeats by Wigan and Liverpool, coupled with the reverse at Kenilworth Road, have taken the edge off a promising start to the season, but Higginbotham is sure the tide will turn.

He said: "In a Premier League season, you are always going to have your ups and downs. Teams coming up, it is always going to be a difficult situation.

"But from my experience of playing against Sunderland last year, they are a team that is full of character and they never throw the towel in."

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Higgy: Black Cats are here to stay
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:07:03 AM »
Get jiggy with Higgy.

What did you expect him to say; "The club is rubbish and are going straight back down but I was high when they made the offer".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:13:03 AM by PantherX »

1]; } ?>