April 19, 2024, 04:37:51 PM

Author Topic: New York Carib Cup Final  (Read 2245 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
New York Carib Cup Final
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
Ja silence Spice Boys to lift New York Carib Cup
CMC

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

BROOKLYN, New York (CMC) - Jamaica clinched the New York Caribbean Football Cup for the fourth time when they trounced Grenada in the final before a massive crowd at the Jefferson High School grounds on Sunday.

The defending champions dominated the match to win 4-2 and lift their third successive Cup title.

Grenada had only themselves to blame as they failed to capitalise on numerous scoring opportunities, despite the huge support from the vocal crowd.

Jamaica took the lead after just seven minutes when Ryan Reid eluded Grenadian goalkeeper Carl Braveboy five yards outside the penalty box.

Reid returned in the 85th minute to give Jamaica their fourth and final goal, putting the game beyond the Grenadians' grasp in semi-dark conditions.

Jamaica completely took charge in the first half, leading 3-1, with Vincent Earl (21st minute) and Marco Hamilton (31st minute) giving Reid tremendous support.

Earl blasted to Braveboy's right, eight yards outside the penalty box, and Hamilton chipped the ball over Braveboy's to put Jamaica 3-0 ahead.

But Damionne Cyrus salvaged some Grenadian pride in the 42nd minute when he sent Jamaican goalkeeper Maurice Evans flying in vain to his right, evoking a cacophony of sounds from the Grenadian section of the stand.

Grenada then hauled themselves back into the contest when a superb low header in the 52nd minute by Ricky Charles gave them their second goal.

But the Jamaicans maintained their reign in the dying staging of the match, even advancing their lead with an additional goal, to the chagrin of the Grenadian supporters who out-numbered the Jamaicans by the hundreds.

"I feel very good to be a winner today," Jamaican head coach Arthur Mikes told CMC Sports in a post-game interview.
"Far before this game, we knew we were going to be the champions. We were unbeaten [up to the grand final], and we knew we were going to retain the championship title."

Mikes said the team's recent success in the Caribbean Cup was special, considering there had been a period where Jamaica had struggled to win.

"Over the years, Jamaica have not been winning," he said. "And from the last five years, we have taken four trophies, so that's good."

The Dominican Republic, Haiti, Barbados, Antigua, Dominica, Guyana, St Kitts and Nevis, and Trinidad & Tobago were the other teams in the tournament.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New York Carib Cup Final
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:26:18 PM »
I don't know about the last few years, but this tournment used to be the best thing during the holiday weekend (Trinidada used to win also).
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
Thats the 2nd Time JA have been Grenada in the Final in Recent Years.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 03:04:39 PM »
I don't know about the last few years, but this tournment used to be the best thing during the holiday weekend (Trinidad used to win also).

Yeah, but Elliot Alleyne has since moved on to bigger and better things, Aleong back in T&T Pro League, Crispin St. Louis, has passed, Veron Skinner living outta state now, Mickey Rat enjoyin he self dong in Florida, Mousey done blow up like a balloon in a birday party, Earl Carter?  Well me eh see he in YEARS!! and de ress ah dem jes' wotless and jrinkin' a setta rum when de weekend come!  ;D  The Grenadian fans mighta outnumber de Jamaicans but ah guarantee yuh they didn't outgun dem!!  :devil:  Since T&T's poor showings these last few years, I have lost all interest in that tournament.  Back in the day that Saturday AND Sunday Leagues (Five-Borough and Central Brooklyn Soccer Leagues) used to be real, real nice!!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »
Veron Skinner

Boss player.  Unlucky with injuries otherwise he coulda be a great.  He was seen as one of "Alvin boys" in de days of de Strike Squad and Gally drop every last one a dem from he squad....Skeene, Anton, & Nakhid in particular.  Too bad........with Nakhid and Skinner in we team, I remain convinced to this day we woulda make we Senior World Cup debut in Italia 1990 instead a Germany 2006.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
Veron Skinner

Boss player.  Unlucky with injuries otherwise he coulda be a great.  He was seen as one of "Alvin boys" in de days of de Strike Squad and Gally drop every last one a dem from he squad....Skeene, Anton, & Nakhid in particular.  Too bad........with Nakhid and Skinner in we team, I remain convinced to this day we woulda make we Senior World Cup debut in Italia 1990 instead a Germany 2006.

Boss player and a real brejin, too.  De man does carry heself with real class and would be a great service to our youths at home in some kinda coaching capacity.
    All joke aside, ah coulda see Anton gettin' drop......... :devil:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 04:06:01 PM »
Veron Skinner

Boss player and a real brejin, too.  De man does carry heself with real class and would be a great service to our youths at home in some kinda coaching capacity.

Skeene too.  Aldoh to be honest.....Anton better dan Alibey.  Yuh know dat Anton, Chinas, Nakhid and Skeene was in de team dat draw wit Honduras to get we to de final 5?  Chinas score ah tink (not sure)...Jes check....Hutson Charles did score..not Chinas.  Anton & Nakhid came off de bench.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 04:09:25 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:12:38 PM »
Veron Skinner

Skeene too.  Aldoh to be honest.....Anton better dan Alibey.  Yuh know dat Anton, Chinas, Nakhid and Skeene was in de team dat draw wit Honduras to get we to de final 5?  Chinas score ah tink (not sure)...Anton & Nakhid came off de bench.

Arright,  Palos, arright.......ah go let yuh take win and ah go stop hatin' on Anton!  ;D   But at least ah could look past de school rivalry and admit dem other names yuh cal dey was nice players.  I was likin' Chinas back in de day and I real come to like Nakhid game.   

1]; } ?>