April 19, 2024, 08:20:35 AM

Author Topic: Keeper Thorne Holder joins Maryland  (Read 2643 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Keeper Thorne Holder joins Maryland
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:40:05 PM »
Men's Soccer Inks Six For 2007 Season
By: CSTV.com

Terps find talent in all areas of the field  

Feb. 16, 2007

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Maryland men's soccer head coach Sasho Cirovski announced the addition of six student-athletes for the 2007 season. The group includes two goalkeepers, two midfielders, a forward, and a back.

The incoming class includes forward Billy Cortes (Mission Viejo, Calif.), defender Sean Flatley (Virginia Beach, Va.), keeper Thorne Holder (Trinidad & Tobago), midfielder Yannick Salmon (Westbury, N.Y.), keeper Will Swaim (Ellicott City, Md.), and midfielder Rodney Wallace (Rockville, Md.).

"They say `the reward for good work is more work' and that is certainly the case with this recruiting cycle," Cirovski said. "We had a great start to our class with some early commitments but with the recent graduation of Maurice Edu and Chris Seitz into the MLS, we were challenged to fill some more holes. I am proud to announce that we have met that challenge. This class not only fills some voids but also adds great depth to the team and I am confident that we will once again be a national contender."

"This class has a little bit of everything, but what excites me the most is the quality of their character and competitiveness and their unabashed love for Maryland soccer," Cirovski added.

Cirovski will not only have the incoming freshman class in 2007, but he will also regain the services of sophomores Doug Rodkey and Kevin Tangney who both missed the entire 2006 season with injuries. Tangney played in 13 games and started two for the 2005 national championship team while Rodkey appeared in eight games.

"The enthusiastic injection of talent from this class to an already hungry team gets me excited for what can come in 2007," Cirovski said.

-

Thorne Holder
Goalkeeper
6-3, 185
Queens Royal College
Cunupia, Trinidad & Tobago

Before Maryland: Keeper for the U-20 Trinidad & Tobago CONCACAF qualifying team in 2005 that played at the Home Depot Center ... starting keeper for the U-23 Olympic pool ... has been groomed by former US National Staff coach and Columbia, Md. resident Lincoln Phillips, who also serves as the technical director and head goalkeeper coach for T&T ... played four seasons for Queens Royal College Intercol ... served as captain in 2003 when QRC won the North Zone Intercol title, the first title in the team's last nine seasons ... led the league in goals against with seven shutouts in 17 matches ... named to the all-star team ... played for the San Juan Jabloteh U-20 in 2004 and was recognized as the league's top keeper ... served as vice captain for the U-17 team which advanced to the final qualifying round in the world youth championship ... also serves as a goalkeeper coach at La Foucade Soccer Clinic, the most recognized clinic in Trinidad, for the past three years.

Personal: Full name is Hasely Thorne Holder ... the son of Judy Holder and Frank Francois ... born April 4, 1986 ... has an older sister, Hazel ... lists his favorite athlete as Shaka Hislop ... plans to major in international business.

Cirovski on Holder: "Thorne has tremendous potential. He is physically gifted and has an amazing appetite for the game. His curiosity for learning should allow him to progress rapidly. He has overcome tremendous personal hardships and has done it with an exemplary positive and charismatic attitude."

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Keeper Thorne Holder joins Maryland
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:52:40 PM »
Good post. I was wonderin' what happened to him. Maybe he just might still consider the game (like Shaka did) after fixin' heself up good with that degree.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:23 PM »
Nice guy.....good personality...willing to learn.....but suspect!!..cause Ron to loose he wuk with the under 21...

He at one of the best programs in the NCAA division 1. I think he will improve....I hope so.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:59:16 PM »
Nice guy.....good personality...willing to learn.....but suspect!!..cause Ron to loose he wuk with the under 21...

He at one of the best programs in the NCAA division 1. I think he will improve....I hope so.

Kingman

Ron eh cause Ron to loose he wuk were those the best under 21 players
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 08:32:38 AM »

Kingman

Ron eh cause Ron to loose he wuk were those the best under 21 players

You are right! At the end of the day Ron have himself to blame. But Holder really allow some easy goals in that tournament. Players were fustrated over them goals.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 10:12:16 AM »
His problem is more mental than technical. He just makes some crazy decisions from time to time. But when you look at his reflexes and handling there is no doubt the yute is very talented. Some good coaching is what he needs.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:25:26 AM »
His problem is more mental than technical. He just makes some crazy decisions from time to time. But when you look at his reflexes and handling there is no doubt the yute is very talented. Some good coaching is what he needs.

Good coaching is what all of our youths need, from a mental and a technical standpoint.  Hopefully, he will get it in Maryland, especially with Lincoln Phillips having a close eye on him.  As far as our goalkeepers go in T&T.......Ross Russell needs to open his own coaching school just for that.   

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Thorne Holder to Maryland Terrapins?
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:21:16 AM »
Two freshmen compete to replace Seitz
By: Adi Joseph (diamondbackonline.com)

Issue date: 8/29/07

All-ACC goalkeeper Chris Seitz was one of the finest talents ever to man the goal for the Terrapin soccer team, holding the program's all-time record for goals-against average.

But because of his early departure for the MLS, coach Sasho Cirovski was forced to find a replacement earlier than expected. Cirovski has found his answer in a pair of freshmen.

Will Swaim was initially recruited by Cirovski to back up Seitz as a method of grooming the Ellicott City native. But with Seitz's departure, Cirovski decided to search for a second goalie to push Swaim, reaching as far as Trinidad and Tobago, where he found 21-year-old Thorne Holder.

Cirovski has been impressed with both of his new goalkeepers and has yet to make a final decision.

"It's an ongoing situation, probably through the month of September, until we settle on a standard goalkeeper," Cirovski said. "They're both doing very well ... They've both got a long way to go, but they're both making progress every day."

After splitting time equally between the two in the first two preseason games, Swaim played the entire final preseason game against Virginia Commonwealth. And because Holder has been suspended by the NCAA for the first two games of the season for playing in a professional game with his club team, Swaim will play both games this weekend, against Indiana and Notre Dame.

Cirovski made clear that the job is open for either to win. Yet despite the tensions of a the competition, the two have made their first priority clear: to help the team.

"At all times we try to help each other," Holder said. "So, if I notice a small mistake or he notices a small mistake, he will tell me. It's for both of us to grow, and may the best keeper start."

"It's not just a battle," Swaim said. "We're just trying to get better for the team's sake. We're just trying to help the team out as best as we can."

Holder, by virtue of being 3 years older than Swaim, has a leg up in experience. Having played goalkeeper for several Trinidad and Tobago national teams, Holder has faced tough international competition.

Swaim, on the other hand, was awarded second team All-State honors as a senior at Howard High School, where he served as a two-year team captain.

Cirovski has been impressed with both of his young players and says he has confidence his goal will be protected well.

"Our goalkeeping is in very good hands. It's going to take some time to progress," Cirovski said. "We've got two very good goalkeepers, and one's going to emerge as a great goalkeeper."

Which and how soon are still to be decided.

ajosephdbk@gmail.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 03:46:14 PM »
GO TERPS!!!!!!!!!!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »
GO TERPS!!!!!!!!!!
Lol...I was wondering how long before you show up.

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 03:55:24 PM »
Excellent stuff!
This is the type of move that augers well for T&T football
Good Luck Mr. Holder!

1]; } ?>