March 28, 2024, 01:01:25 PM

Author Topic: Stern: No regrets over swap deal, Jones delighted over Premiership move‏.  (Read 11818 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Stern: No regrets over swap deal.
...Jones delighted over Premiership move‏.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago leading striker Stern John says he has no regrets having to give up his place at Premiership club Sunderland in order to allow uprising Kenwyne Jones to make his entry into the top flight of English football.
John, who turns 31 in October, was part of a swap deal between Southampton and Sunderland which saw the latter club pay 6 million pounds for Jones on a four-year deal. John meantime moved to the Championship Division side on a two-year deal. This was the second time John had to make room for another player after having to join Coventry City when Dwight Yorke arrived at Birmingham City.
“Obviously it’s disappointing to have to leave Sunderland but only because I think I wasn’t given a fair enough chance by the manager. I had a good preseason and I had only 45 minutes so far in the League and one goal to show for it. Obviously he had other strikers he preferred and now he’s put out money for Andy Cole as well. That’s part of the game as well and I have accepted that. Nothing surprises me in football and you learn that as your years as football go on,” John told TTFF Media. “But at the same time I’m really happy for Kenwyne to get this chance. To have a club offer 6 million for you is fantastic. And the option was there for me to stay at Sunderland.
“The manager didn’t actually tell me to go as he also gave me the option to stay on. He said though that I wasn’t guaranteed playing time and it was up to me whether I wanted to stay on with that in mind. But the only way Kenwyne could come was if Southampton were also getting me. I had a good thought about it and I felt it would be great for Kenwyne to get this deal. Both of us had a good talk about it as well. In life you get chances and you have to grab it and this is Kenwyne’s time. I’m going to be 31 this year and I have to look after myself. Going to Southampton also means a better deal for me and it means Kenwyne can go into the Premiership at 22 which is fantastic. Everybody is happy at the end of the day,” John added.
John added that they even stayed in touch during the final processes for the deals to go through.
“When Kenwyne and I were doing our medicals, we phoned each other to make sure it went well. It’s nothing personal and while he has a chance to experience the Premiership at this time, it’s also a chance for me to take up a new challenge and I’m looking forward to that. It’s down to trying to take Southampton back up again. I’ve been part of that experience at Birmingham and Sunderland so why not a third time.”
Looking ahead to Southampton’s match against Queen’s Park Rangers Saturday, the former Nottingham Forest hitman admitted he wanted to make an immediate impact.
“I trained at the club for the first time today and there was nothing strange about it. It’s a nice dressing room and the rest of the guys have accepted me. They also see me as a senior pro coming into the team, taking teams up and playing in a World Cup so now it’s just about me performing for the club.” John added.
Jones meantime told BBC that he was absolutely delighted to make the move and is ready to face Manchester United on Saturday.
“I’m just really happy to be a Sunderland player now. At some point in time you will have't play them so why not now. I think I will be welcoming the challenge to play against the Manchester Uniteds and Liverpools now,” Jones said.
“Sometimes when you look at it it’s not going to be everyone, but some people only get this opportunity once in a life time. I ‘m happy that it came at this age for me. It was not a difficult choice. My decision to come here was basically a heart and head decision. A few words from certain players…(led to) the manager putting the icing on the cake. I speak to Dwight, Carlos and Stern a lot… even before this we normally speak. All they had was praises for the club, the manager and the fans.”
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 06:59:08 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
#14 = underrated and underappreciated!
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline ballpiyong

• Full Warrior
  • Winning is not everything it is the only thing
    • View Profile
WTF!!!! John I aint look for yuh dey yuh impress meh with that decision. You decided to pass on the torch to the youth!! I apllaud you sir  :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
yeah man he ketch me too, very impressed.
he could give lessons on how to answer interview questions.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

big up #14....

move like de bigger man there..

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
 :beermug: to stern for showing his professionalism and maturity :applause: . Now go and do what you does best...bring SHFC up the the premiership with 20+ goals...

Kenwyne all the best to you  :beermug: put ah brace on ManU tail dis saturday  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Form is temporary, class is permanent.
Nice move by Stern.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nice going Stern... Yuh larger than large....
Best of luck at southampton>>>>>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Class words from a classy player
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
To echo the sentiments

He said though that  I wasn’t guaranteed playing time and it was up to me whether I wanted to  stay on with that in mind.  But the only way Kenwyne could come was if Southampton were also getting me. I had a good thought about it and I felt it would be great for Kenwyne to get this deal. Both of us had a good talk about it as well. In life you get chances and you have to grab it and this is Kenwyne’s time. I’m going to be 31 this year and I have to look after myself. Going to Southampton also means a better deal for me and it means Kenwyne can go into the Premiership at 22 which is fantastic. Everybody is happy at the end of the day,” John added.
I'm impressed by everything in this snippet...but none moreso than by the bolded part.  Well said, well done Stern...go to Southampton and show your caliber.

Offline Mackem

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Check out my TnT World Cup Pics
Good luck Stern, what a top bloke!  It may have been just bad luck but I'm sure the reason he has been overlooked in the starting lineup at Sunderland is the many missed goal chances, especially during the pre-season games.  He kept getting into good scoring positions but on too many occasions failed to put the ball in the net.

I hope he does well at Southampton and will be looking to see his name on the scoresheet on match days.  In the meantime, let's hope Kenwyn scores lots of goals for the Black Cats to repay the faith that Roy Keane has put in him.

Cheers, Mackem
Check out my T&T photos from the World Cup in Germany:
http://public.fotki.com/mackem/world_cup_-_england/

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
Pure Class all around. 
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Good luck Stern, what a top bloke!  It may have been just bad luck but I'm sure the reason he has been overlooked in the starting lineup at Sunderland is the many missed goal chances, especially during the pre-season games.  He kept getting into good scoring positions but on too many occasions failed to put the ball in the net.

I hope he does well at Southampton and will be looking to see his name on the scoresheet on match days.  In the meantime, let's hope Kenwyn scores lots of goals for the Black Cats to repay the faith that Roy Keane has put in him.

Cheers, Mackem

I dare say Coach Keane will regret keeping Murphy and letting Stern go.

Then again....maybe Burley is just a smart man.  Notice....he didn't ask for Murphy.  Murphy has done nothing to impress.  Absolutely nothing.  I admit I am biased towards Stern.  He is from T&T after all and our greatest goalscorer.  But come on......Stern makes 1 sub appearance & plays 32 minutes in the 3 games and scores 1 goal.  That goal earns a tie for Sunderland.

Murphy starts in 2 of the 3 games.  Plays all of one and 78 minutes of the other and does FACK ALL but gets to stay?  Maybe he's a practice champ but he sure isn't dong it on the field.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

ent ? A legend knows how to talk off and on the field...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 :applause:

Stern really show his class dere. Good luck to both him and Kenwyne, kee the T&T flag flying high  :beermug:
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline fyl2u

• New Warrior
    • View Profile

Cheers, Mackem

Then again....maybe Burley is just a smart man.  Notice....he didn't ask for Murphy.  Murphy has done nothing to impress.  Absolutely nothing.  I admit I am biased towards Stern.  He is from T&T after all and our greatest goalscorer.  But come on......Stern makes 1 sub appearance & plays 32 minutes in the 3 games and scores 1 goal.  That goal earns a tie for Sunderland.

Murphy starts in 2 of the 3 games.  Plays all of one and 78 minutes of the other and does FACK ALL but gets to stay?  Maybe he's a practice champ but he sure isn't dong it on the field.

I agree... I have no idea how Murphy keeps getting picked in the starting lineup.  He must just be amazing in practice games!

Saying that, I'm sure Keano would sell him if someone bid for him.

Anyway, welcome KJ! Can't wait to see you in action!

...and all the best of luck to Stern John at your new club, matey... I hope you do well, lad!

AHA - this time I've posted my message in the right place, instead of inside the quote  :-[ :-X ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 05:44:40 PM by fyl2u »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Keep up the Attack on the Net man, all the best
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well done Stern. Much respect.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Cheers, Mackem

Then again....maybe Burley is just a smart man.  Notice....he didn't ask for Murphy.  Murphy has done nothing to impress.  Absolutely nothing.  I admit I am biased towards Stern.  He is from T&T after all and our greatest goalscorer.  But come on......Stern makes 1 sub appearance & plays 32 minutes in the 3 games and scores 1 goal.  That goal earns a tie for Sunderland.

Murphy starts in 2 of the 3 games.  Plays all of one and 78 minutes of the other and does FACK ALL but gets to stay?  Maybe he's a practice champ but he sure isn't dong it on the field.

only thing Murphy really have on Stern is youth and Irishness  ;D

Maybe Keane see some kinda promise in Murphy that we eh seeing and want to hold on to him.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
Well, well...Stern yuh regain some of mih faith in yuh. I man really start to rate Stern after that cutass we give Columbia in Miami Orange bowl, sometime back then.

Dah man score a beauty of a diving header. De man was parallel to the ground about 5 feet in de air, from the 6 yard line off ah cross from somebody, believe it was Dwarika, that come in somewhere from the halfline on de side,  high in de air behind de defenders. It was ah thing of beauty. Ah think he score more than one too. Anytime he had de ball he just looked about to score.

Dem Columbians come in de stadium making one setta noise and then leave looking shock shock. Dat was kicks.

Since then Stern was mih boy.... until last qualifiers. The setta hand on hips, saga boy, lazyman, buffup man, point to he toes, lose ball and eh even try to tackle back, no run to intercept, missing goal, cussing fans,  thing he was playing real piss me off.......TO THIS DAY!!

However, this is a classy movement by him and all I could say is BRAVO, Bravo. All yuh have to do now is light up the Championship, because yuh was coming back to yuh old self at Sunderland.

Stern John, Respect to you sir.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If Stern John never score another goal for TT or anyone else, I would have to say that this is the classiest, most selfless, patriotic act I have ever seen by a sportsman .  You will ever have my respect.  In this dog eat dog world, to express such emotions after a dissapointing stay at Sunderland.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
stern yuh is de rhel bigman, bless bredda n bessah luck at soton

KJ ah wah yuh tuh buss up de net in trafford eh buh prepare yuh self tuh be on de loosin  team dis weekend becoz man u is mih team  ;D
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
HERO

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Good luck to both players.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I’m going to be 31 this year and I have to look after myself. Going to Southampton also means a better deal for me and it means Kenwyne can go into the Premiership at 22 which is fantastic. Everybody is happy at the end of the day,” John added.…

Like real men miss this part.  Stern going to get a rise in pay too.  So his decision was not 100% altruistic fellas.  But then again, that is life.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I’m going to be 31 this year and I have to look after myself. Going to Southampton also means a better deal for me and it means Kenwyne can go into the Premiership at 22 which is fantastic. Everybody is happy at the end of the day,” John added.…

Like real men miss this part.  Stern going to get a rise in pay too.  So his decision was not 100% altruistic fellas.  But then again, that is life.

Whey you see pay raise ?

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
All the best to the 2 of them.

Stern impress meh...A role model to youths in the industry on what is true professionalism.

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
All d best Stern, a true profesional
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A fine display of self sacrifice by Stern, although I think (more hope) that he earns a little bit more and gets to prolong his career with this move. But he already experienced the euphoria of promotion, winning the opening game and scoring a critical goal; heights which probably will not be surpassed this year. At the end of the day I am sure Stern will look back on his Sunderland career with pride and count it as one of the best, if not THE best period of his professional career.

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
A fine display of self sacrifice by Stern, although I think (more hope) that he earns a little bit more and gets to prolong his career with this move. But he already experienced the euphoria of promotion, winning the opening game and scoring a critical goal; heights which probably will not be surpassed this year. At the end of the day I am sure Stern will look back on his Sunderland career with pride and count it as one of the best, if not THE best period of his professional career.
what if he was to take on the challenge to get as many goals as he can thus becoming "General Stern", resulting in helping Southampton getting promoted at the end of this year.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>