April 19, 2024, 08:08:27 AM

Author Topic: Warner wants U-17s in Super League.  (Read 9178 times)

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Warner wants U-17s in Super League.
« on: August 30, 2007, 11:51:45 PM »
Warner wants U-17s in Super League.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Jack Warner, Fifa vice-president, plans to keep the T&T Under-17 World Cup team together. According to Warner one way of doing that is by having the youngsters compete in the National Football Super Football League as a team.
Warner disclosed this on the team’s return from the 2007 Fifa Under-17 World Cup at a special reception held at the VIP Lounge, Piarco International Airport, yesterday.
Warner said he was very emotional to see the kind of welcome which the team received.
“It’s the first time I have seen a welcome of this intensity for a team that has not won a match. This means we have changed our focus from only looking at winning and now have learnt to respect a team that has gone out and worn the national colours with pride.”
Warner noted that the team must now be viewed as the nucleus of the team for the Fifa Under-20 World Cup which takes place in Egypt.
“But for that to happen we must try and keep the core of players together and for this to take place I have to sit with the T&T Football Federation and see how best it can be done. We may have to put them to play in the Super League as a team.”
Reflecting on T&T’s performances at the tournament, which were all losses, 4-1 against Ghana, and 5-0 against both Colombia and Germany, Warner said it showed that the team needed so more time to play together.
“We must look at ways and having our teams play together for much longer periods and with this in mind, the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) has agreed to the staging of Under-14 tournaments for boys and girls next year as well as the Under-16 boys competition.
“By having these tournaments at a younger age it will allow the coaches enough time for major CFU and Concacaf competitions.
The Fifa vice-president noted that he will be leaving soon to witness the closing ceremony of the Under-17 World Cup but he will arriving in Korea with his head held high.
Coach Anton Corneal also expressed surprise at the welcoming reception. “We knew people would be here but we did not expected all this.”
Corneal noted that although his team did not win a match they learned many lessons.
Good spirits as U-17s return home from Korea.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago's National Under 17 footballers, after flying for 20 hours out of Seoul, via New York got a warm welcome home at the Piarco International Airport at 6am on Thursday as they were greeted on arrival by Minister of Sport Roger Boynes, FIFA Vice President Jack Warner and other officials of the TTFF.
Head coach Anton Corneal and his bunch were pleasantly surprise as it's not often a team coming home without any kind of silverware receives the ovation they got on the day.
Almost all the leading local media companies were present and to top it off, Warner, special advisor to the TTFF spoke of some plans to keep the team together as it looks ahead to future Under 23 and Under 20 tournaments.
According to Warner, one way of doing that is by having the youngsters compete in the National Football Super Football League as a team which will allow them to play competitively for a longer period during the year.
Warner said he was very emotional to see the kind of welcome which the team received.
"It's the first time I have seen a welcome of this intensity for a team that has not won a match. This means we have changed our focus from only looking at winning and now have learnt to respect a team that has gone out and worn the national colours with pride."
Warner noted that the team must now be viewed as the nucleus of the team for the Fifa Under-20 World Cup which takes place in Egypt.
"But for that to happen we must try and keep the core of players together and for this to take place I have to sit with the T&T Football Federation and see how best it can be done. We may have to put them to play in the Super League as a team."
Reflecting on T&T's performances at the tournament, which were all losses, 4-1 against Ghana, and 5-0 against both Colombia and Germany, Warner said it showed that the team needed so more time to play together.
"We must look at ways and having our teams play together for much longer periods and with this in mind, the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) has agreed to the staging of Under-14 tournaments for boys and girls next year as well as the Under-16 boys competition.
"By having these tournaments at a younger age it will allow the coaches enough time for major CFU and Concacaf competitions.
Coach Anton Corneal also expressed surprise at the welcoming reception. "We knew people would be here but we did not expected all this."
Corneal noted that although his team did not win a match they learned many lessons.
"There are various levels of the game, We have conquered the Caribbean, we came out of CONCACAF and now we saw what it's like at the World level and we must plan and prepare accordingly," he added.
Team captain Leston Paul also promised to take forward the lessons learnt in the far east.
"We have experienced what it is like and it makes us wanting to qualify for more World Cups. We definitely don't want to have these kind of results again. I want to thank everyone who supported us... from the coach Anton and the staff, the TTFF and our parents and fans. I felt proud to lead the country out there on the world stage and I can only hope to do this again at some point," Paul added.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 06:16:47 AM by Flex »
Warrior For Life !!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Warner wants Under-17s in Super League
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 12:28:31 AM »
With all due respect, if we truly intend to qualify for and COMPETE WITH teams at the U 20 WC level, theSuper League is NOT where these guys need to be.

The guys on the team have seen first hand just how far ahead their peers in international competition are.  Those teams like Germany, Ghana, and Colombia will more than likely beat Super League teams.

Our young players will be better served playing more games against their peers at a higher level either through friendly games, tournaments, etc.  Playing locally just won't cut it.  They MIGHT qualify for the U20 Cup but it is more than likely that the scorelines will be the same or worse if the status quo prevails.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:39:32 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

The pro league is in an uproar over this same nonsense. Imagine the Mexican FA telling Barca that Dos Santos had to play in the Segunda to keep the Mexican team together. Quality of opposition not just quantity Jack, please get that through yuh thick Rio Claro skull. If this happens which I doubt then at least put them in PL or in PL reserves. No way they not beating Tobago or Police. From World Cup to House of Dread, only in T&T. We need a Steups icon on this board oui.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:50:07 AM »

Don't think it was a serious suggestion.  If he listens to his technical staff they will give him more realistic and productive ideas.
The players need to improve individually more than as a team so I eh think keeping them together is necessary...might be counter productive.  Best thing is to get them into competitive leagues/universities soon.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:56:36 AM »
DCS I hope you are right, it sounded as if the analysis he was getting reccomended cohesion over individual performance.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:48:12 AM »
DCS I hope you are right, it sounded as if the analysis he was getting reccomended cohesion over individual performance.

I get dat impression too.  What you posted in yuh lead post makes the most sense.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 02:40:02 AM »
i think it should be a combination of the two approaches, keeping them together i think is neccessary to help build familiarity and teamwork, this can be achieved by playing in the league, but...
there need to be many many matches vs higher level competition so that they do not forget the pace of the game, and can continually be judged against their peers see the weaknesses and know what to work on as a team and individually.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 03:26:04 AM »
Well let us hope the staff comes really through for these young men.  Jack really seemed  supportive of them. Then again....... :(

If people feel Fenwick get stink over Peltier  lord help Jack in 2009 when he tell Fenwick he pullin
Stephen Knox out Jabloteh squad for World Cup "preparations" against Agostura 1976.....

Playing in PL or SL will reap more benefits than SSFL anyway, which is what Jack may have been thinking out loud.

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 04:37:42 AM »
If The TTFF and Mr. Warner is really serious, they would take the core of the team that have ambition in the game and have them attend academies overseas in places such as Spain. France, Italy, Holland, Brazil etc., so that thy can develop properly.  History might prove that there are no opportunities in T&T to get the players to the level they need to be.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 05:07:05 AM »
If The TTFF and Mr. Warner is really serious, they would take the core of the team that have ambition in the game and have them attend academies overseas in places such as Spain. France, Italy, Holland, Brazil etc., so that thy can develop properly.  History might prove that there are no opportunities in T&T to get the players to the level they need to be.

what kind of academies you talking about?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 05:07:53 AM »
I think that this proposal has some strong merits and is viable. Not sure about the details. The players should try to play abroad and find better opportunities. I do not think Jack is suggesting they should not. But it is unrealistic to think that every player will go abroad or get into some foreign youth academy. We cannot afford to regularly enter tournaments and play high level friendlies frequently. There will be many who remain locally based and I see the benefits of keeping a pool of local youth players together who play week in week out. The players can work regularly with national team coaches on tactics and also build chemistry. At the same time, the team must play in tournaments and high level friendlies as many suggest. To get T&T to the next level, we need to combine the two. And the level of professional football locally will be high enough for the week in week out stuff...how many 18 and 19 year olds really dominating the PFL? The better PFL teams would hammer the current Under 17 team..The players are just physically stronger and faster...which is why Jack probably suggested the Super League. I don't think he trying to outline the entire Under 20 program with this idea..just an aspect of it. i like the idea. I think the puerto Rican national team has something similar in the USSL
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 05:22:57 AM by Filho »

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 05:43:13 AM »

what kind of academies you talking about?

Golf Academies  ;D, Not sure if to take this serious because we are talking football here??

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:02:27 AM »
I think that this proposal has some strong merits and is viable. Not sure about the details. The players should try to play abroad and find better opportunities. I do not think Jack is suggesting they should not. But it is unrealistic to think that every player will go abroad or get into some foreign youth academy. We cannot afford to regularly enter tournaments and play high level friendlies frequently. There will be many who remain locally based and I see the benefits of keeping a pool of local youth players together who play week in week out. The players can work regularly with national team coaches on tactics and also build chemistry. At the same time, the team must play in tournaments and high level friendlies as many suggest. To get T&T to the next level, we need to combine the two. And the level of professional football locally will be high enough for the week in week out stuff...how many 18 and 19 year olds really dominating the PFL? The better PFL teams would hammer the current Under 17 team..The players are just physically stronger and faster...which is why Jack probably suggested the Super League. I don't think he trying to outline the entire Under 20 program with this idea..just an aspect of it. i like the idea. I think the puerto Rican national team has something similar in the USSL

I agree with you Filho.

The idea is togetherness. The SL is better for them than the SSFL and there is no way they could handle the PFL on a regular basis.

This is just a core idea, that could be supplemented with tours and hosting good competition. The cohesion will be great.

And I would like to see this team compete in the League Cup and FA Cup.

At least they thinking about the future.

Now, who go Coach de team? ;D

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner wants U-17s in Super League.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 06:24:20 AM »
 TnT football regardless of which level, needs to focus on beating the US / Mex / Costa Rica / Jam, because this is the gate way to the world stage, failure to reach this goal would land us exactly where we are now,Jack knowing the talent TNT can produce is taking in front and looking to keep these youths together because down the road the financial rewards will be worth it....

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 06:50:05 AM »
Put the current under 17 team in the youth pro league (U-20) and put the current under 15 in the super league....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 07:04:01 AM »
 great initiave by jack...as ususal we can talk so we look to critique first. i ask myself can this team win the super league and the answer is no. so thats a descent start 4 me. as far as i know the stages of men are creep walk then run. the  U 17 at this moment cant be placed in the pro league.

1st priority keep the team together.
 can anyone bet their house and land that the u17 will  win the super league. NO. so thats a start
 why are we keeping them togther ? it has to be win the u20 wc in mind. so obviously they cant stay in the super league 4ever.

its a step in the right direction and i applaud it :applause: :applause: :applause:

i honestly believe without a doubt that the super league is far better than our u 20 pfl
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 07:12:51 AM »
These youths need to be playing WITH and AGAINST men. This is how valuable experience is gained and they will learn to play quicker. My guess is at least 6 of these players can already step into teams and start.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 07:26:44 AM »
what of the 5 new players(late developers or discoveries) that has the ability to be considered for selection during this time....or due to change in coaching tactics....what is to happen to the 5 that get replaced..are they left to fend for themselves ?...nice hypothectical idea, but not practical for young developing guys from completely different goals and backgrounds, or the "real whirl' .....what of the guys who are presently foreign, should they and their families move back to T&T, should the possible schol winners refuse the schols....I didn't read the 2nd artl. yet.. but I don't think anything like this is even possible

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 07:32:04 AM »
These youths need to be playing WITH and AGAINST men. This is how valuable experience is gained and they will learn to play quicker. My guess is at least 6 of these players can already step into teams and start.

You dun now Observer ! At that age, there may not be any more general practical learning medium .

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 07:38:34 AM »
 Put them all into the UTT elite athlete training program.
 Let them work academically towards SATs'. The brighter guys that want to do something other than play pro ball will get into colleges of their choice and the guys who want to keep with football will get scolarships.

At the same time most of the team will be together training and could enter the "super league".

And the icing on the cake would be that they would be coached by the best coach in Trinidad and Tobago.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 07:56:25 AM »
I'm not quite sure what to think about the Super League idea, but what I think would be a step forward for T&T football would be for our locally-based coaches to get more exposure to coaches who have experience coaching teams at international level so that they can develop more effective coaching techniques. The international game demands considerable strength, stamina and speed and our team's glaring inadequacies in all of these departments were ruthlessly exposed at the U-17 World Cup. Maybe sponsored trips for our local coaches to attend coaching clinics in the US or other foreign countries could work to the benefit of T&T football in the future. The US system especially seems to pretty effective. Juergen Klinnsman employed US training methods quite effectively at the World Cup last year in Germany.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 08:16:16 AM »
what of the 5 new players(late developers or discoveries) that has the ability to be considered for selection during this time....or due to change in coaching tactics....what is to happen to the 5 that get replaced..are they left to fend for themselves ?...nice hypothectical idea, but not practical for young developing guys from completely different goals and backgrounds, or the "real whirl' .....what of the guys who are presently foreign, should they and their families move back to T&T, should the possible schol winners refuse the schols....I didn't read the 2nd artl. yet.. but I don't think anything like this is even possible

??? ??? ???

like any national team..new players will be added via continuous scouting. players who don't make the cut have to find new clubs. that is the nature of football they face anyway. those that are foreign based should stay there and their progress should be tracked. they would only come to T&T for mini camps and games. the idea should not be to place all the players on one team but to allow a local based pool to play together as much as possible.

Good point. Altho' it does not completely address your concerns, this option allows them to play regularly against big men. All the players should be aiming to play with senior pro clubs abroad or in the PFL. Some will even choose US college ball. But there will be a pool of local Under 20 players who may benefit training with the national team and playing competitive ball against grown men. Instead of training with grown men and playing against boys in the Under 20 league. I think it could be the best option for the local based who aren't at PFL standard. They should also join up with the senior national team when Wim calls a camp and get some senior national training under their belts.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 09:37:19 AM »
After reading some of these responses,it's amazing to see the variety of views/ideas which opens my eyes to the many options the administration has,the problem is which one will work best for us,as simple as it may seem this is more complicated them it looks because we are dealing with the future,no one knows what can happen.

Observer's idea of the kids playing with big men or the idea of them playing in the Super league etc etc is not bad,this idea is nothing new to T&T Football,that was how we developed as players in the past,if you look at Gally,Archibald,Deleon etc etc all those guys used to play for the big clubs pre season before Colleges league starts,represent POSFL,SFL etc etc North/South,don't talk for Minor league everybody played.

I have one question to ask and that is,if we intend to keep this team together does that mean we are closing our doors to other youths that may have potential/ability to play at that level?i might be wrong but i can't remember any team staying together with the same players from age group to age group or even same Coach,it is nice to see people thinking about these kids education because a future in Football is not guaranteed.

The only thing i does find is we always wait for things to happen before we put something in place,as usual bad planning you can never know what's next,at the moment we just going to talk while these players ponder their future,if we can't work out what going to happen with the Senior team i can't see how we working out this Youth team,Wim and Anton has their jobs cut out i can't see how they handling these two teams at the same time.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 09:42:12 AM »
Filho it seems like yuh understood what I said, so ah don't know why the quote and  ???
ps: I was commenting on the idea of having the team(any National team) play as is club team. If you have a few players absent, or have the team gellin in a league competition setting, it would not be so feasible to just bring in 4/5 guys to play meaningful Intl. games, without some change of strategy on the club level....i.e. Practicing/focusing on  particular strategies almost daily - even if the organization of bringing local players from all over the country(even doh it not big) can be organized, but switching strategies for big games with different players may be more detrimental to team devlopment.....even if yuh agree/disagree, am I a lil clearer in what ah was trying to say ?

add: Just saw your post Coops, this is kinda what ah was considering
........I have one question to ask and that is,if we intend to keep this team together does that mean we are closing our doors to other youths that may have potential/ability to play at that level?i might be wrong but i can't remember any team staying together with the same players from age group to age group or even same Coach,it is nice to see people thinking about these kids education because a future in Football is not guaranteed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:44:41 AM by maxg »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 11:10:16 AM »
Filho it seems like yuh understood what I said, so ah don't know why the quote and  ???
ps: I was commenting on the idea of having the team(any National team) play as is club team. If you have a few players absent, or have the team gellin in a league competition setting, it would not be so feasible to just bring in 4/5 guys to play meaningful Intl. games, without some change of strategy on the club level....i.e. Practicing/focusing on  particular strategies almost daily - even if the organization of bringing local players from all over the country(even doh it not big) can be organized, but switching strategies for big games with different players may be more detrimental to team devlopment.....even if yuh agree/disagree, am I a lil clearer in what ah was trying to say ?

maxg, unless they were playing in a poor league, having a pool of national team players who train and play together all year could never be detrimental. at the end of the day..not all the players in the pool will make the final cut. new players will come to prominance and be invited. players will graduate to the PFL, others will go abroad to play pro, and some may choose college...injuries, lack of form...etc look all national teams..there is always an integration process of players from all over. but the more of them that can build a rapport with each other and work regulalry with the national team coach while playing at the best standard for their devleopment..the better.

I am nt taking JW's idea literally. it's a concept that would need to be fine tuned. he is starting with the current under 17 cuz they are the obvious choice to build from. but the pool would not consist exclusively of these players....some may be too good or choose not to. nor should it remain static. if the under 20 team looks exactly like the current Under 17 team..we are doing something very wrong. but these guys benefitted from a core of them staying together for 2 years. The under 20s could benefit from something similar

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »
Now that we have core groups for the U15, U17, and U20 why not create our own elite soccer academy? Sure some players may leave to take up scholarships elsewhere, or get into pro teams or their academies overseas,  but that will free up spots for others to be brought in. There could be ongoing scouting for late developers who, for example, may not have been good enough at U15, but are good enough at U17 or U20.

Instead of always looking for tournaments for these guys, why not organize a couple of our own invitational tournaments? Bring in a couple of African/Asian/European/South American/Concacaf teams. And/Or have them run out against some PFL/Superleague teams.

In addition the U15s could regularly scrimmage with the U17s and the U17s with the U20s.

We have the Centre of Excellence, that should be an ideal training base for these teams. International coaches could be invited in to run specialized clinics for these guys (e.g. goalkeeping, defensive, etc).

Just a couple of ideas that occured to me as I read this thread.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
Now that we have core groups for the U15, U17, and U20 why not create our own elite soccer academy? Sure some players may leave to take up scholarships elsewhere, or get into pro teams or their academies overseas,  but that will free up spots for others to be brought in. There could be ongoing scouting for late developers who, for example, may not have been good enough at U15, but are good enough at U17 or U20.

Instead of always looking for tournaments for these guys, why not organize a couple of our own invitational tournaments? Bring in a couple of African/Asian/European/South American/Concacaf teams. And/Or have them run out against some PFL/Superleague teams.

In addition the U15s could regularly scrimmage with the U17s and the U17s with the U20s.

We have the Centre of Excellence, that should be an ideal training base for these teams. International coaches could be invited in to run specialized clinics for these guys (e.g. goalkeeping, defensive, etc).

Just a couple of ideas that occured to me as I read this thread.

good ideas..many wish for the same thing. but I think the stumbling block is $$$

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »
ah hear allyuh (Mose/Filho) ah juss don't think it feasible....and even started, when we run into problems (probably by the 2nd/3rd pay period), will eventually fold, and may lead to more problems issues and questions as far as logistics, training, selection, even if we don't consider the financial issues.  We done know from recent experiences Jack does say anything depending on he mood....yet doh I won't say it's a bad idea, I think the practicality of it is not yet feasible for T&T football and it organizational bodies....and thus would soon fail - nb: ah didn't say "waste ah time" , cause ah could be wrong....we can crawl, we can walk, we can run, we starting to enter a few races, ah feel now is the time to organize how and when we will train, so we will have some sort of contunity, and not just start training too rigourously an pull muscle before the next race.

add: Fix the TTFF or organizing bodies first
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 12:48:32 PM by maxg »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
Playing regularly against a local MEN's team or teams COULD address ONE aspect of our deficiencies.  Strength.

It will not address issues such as technical ability, speed of play and thought, off the ball movement, positioning, tactics, etc.

Why?

Because with all due respect to our local teams, we are not at that level to compete INTERNATIONALLY with other teams in those areas.

Solution?  Short of commissioning the entire team and putting them up in some sort of academy or something (and we all know the TTFF not equipped or funded to dat extent so dat not happenin).....send as many of them out to foreign clubs as we can.  NOW!  And I do not mean College teams in America.  I mean professional football outfits....preferably in Britain &/or Europe.  If not those, use alliances we already have to try and get them into clubs in Mexico or Costa Rica or in MLS.

The sooner they get out there and are exposed to the type of training, nutrition, psychology etc needed to COMPETE at an international level, the better.  Staying at home.....with things how they currently stand...won't cut it.

In the meantime...when our players are out there leaning their trade, make sure our coaches are doing the same.  Expose them to current coaching methods.  Because when the players come back for National duty, they will be expecting a certain level of competence from the ones who are supposed to guide and lead them.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 02:47:24 PM »
Filho: I realised that money would be an issue even as I was writing the suggestions but I felt that it should still be
said as I think now would be a great time to get it started given where we are in terms of already having core groups to start with at the different age group levels. Another issue, and maxg hints at this, is who do we have that is capable of running such an academy effectively, or are we capable of running/organizing such an academy effectively.

maxg: Doh worry, ah right dey wit yuh, but I think the idea still needs to be put out there fuh somebody to take it and run with it. As you say "...we can crawl, we can walk, we can run, we starting to enter a few races, ah feel now is the time to organize how and when we will train, so we will have some sort of continuity(ed)..." And actually I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this is where we are actually heading because of LPs influence behind the scenes.

palos: The issues you mention (technical ability, speed of play and thought, etc) can be addressed by playing in the invitational tournaments (our own or others), and the clinics with specialized coaching that I mentioned. As well the training/nutrition/psychology, etc could be relatively easily handled in the academy setting with local or foreign experts. Having local coaches attend some of these sessions/clinics as well can help them better their own skills in the handling and development of their own teams.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that we keep the players here if they are good enough to go pro/overseas academies. If they good enough and want to go, let them go, but stay in touch and monitor the progress. In the meantime fill the spot with another promising youngster.

BTW, I'm currently thinking that while 2010 would be nice, we're more likely to see the benefits of this past couple of years experiences (qualifying for 2 WCs) in 2014/2018. But only if we manage the development of the youngsters out there now.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>