April 16, 2024, 02:44:37 AM

Author Topic: ‘Warriors’ go for it.  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
‘Warriors’ go for it.
« on: August 16, 2005, 12:55:27 PM »
“Warriors” makes a late fight of it.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Leo Beenhakker conceded defeat in his team's latest 2006 World Cup qualifier to the United States but feels that the 1-0 result does not need to be dramatized as the “Warriors” stayed within distance of the third and fourth teams Costa Rica and Guatemala at the end of matches on Wednesday in CONCACAF.
T&T remained on four points, ahead of Panama (two points) while Guatemala moved to seven, same as the Costa Ricans who were beaten 2-0 away to Mexico. The Mexicans are out front with 16, one more than the US.
The Dutch-born coach was particularly harsh on his team for their slow start to proceedings which saw the Americans grab on 91 seconds.
“I was not happy but I think I could not ask more of them in the second half when we played with ten men” Beenhakker told TTFF Media.
“We know a long time now that the United States always start strong and we made the same mistake. We knew also that our team always seems to need about twenty or twenty five minutes to get in the game and I don’t know why. We worked on it and we talked about it. But I don’t know if they need to work more on their minds or with more pressure,” he added, voicing his concern about the inability to get off the mark on a quicker note.
“The US start was killing and we also had some bad luck because when we also got into the game a bit more we lost a guy. It was a good decision from the referee and I don’t blame him.”
Looking back at the performance, he said briefly: “At least we were in the game in the second half with ten guys and we had a lot of ball possession.
And looking ahead to what is now a must win match at home to Guatemala on September 3, the man in charge ended: “We learnt a lot and once again we saw that it is killing to start a match in such a way. I hope that the guys will pick it up. We also know that we don’t have to dramatize this result because USA is very strong like Mexico which did it’s duty and beat Costa Rica. It means they still have seven points and we are three behind. We still have it in our hands.”
US coach Bruce Arena added : "I think we deserved the three points. I thought we played very well and I think we felt guilty perhaps we made it a little bit difficult on ourselves. Give them credit: they never quit. They defended well and we failed to convert our chances. However, the three points is huge. Fifteen points after six games is as good as it gets and I think we're getting real close to qualifying for Germany. We’re pleased where we are.”
The match was played in front of typical die hard American fan base but the visitors were well represented too by a number of fans who turned out in their “Red” from shirts to flags with drums and all to give Dwight Yorke and his men some form of support away from home.
But with no time to settle, the T&T faithful were scratching their heads and goalie Kelvin Jack admitted that he was left shell shocked when a mishap on the right back position allowed Bobby Convey to push behind Atiba Charles and play one across for Brian McBride to knick home for a 1-0 USA lead. It was the beginning of a miserable first half for T&T as goalie Jack had to bring off some masterful work between the sticks to keep T&T in the match.
T&T took way too long to settle and just when the started to make a match of it, a bad back pass by Marvin Andrews forced Dennis Lawrence to use illegal force to prevent Landon Donovan from going clear to goal and the Wrexham defender was given marching orders. At the time, Beenhakker was looking to put Scott Sealy on the right wing and force Silvio Spann into a right back position. But just as Lawrence got sent off, he was forced to throw Brent Sancho into the fire and push Sealy up top. The switch led to probably the best performances by Sancho and Spann in that right back position. Yorke also dropped into the midfield and after weathering the first half storm, T&T put in a revamped second half performance.
T&T’s first shy at the goal came in the 7th minute when Chris Birchall’s left side corner went just past the far post as Lawrence just couldn’t get in on time.
For the US, Oguchi Onyewu had an attempt cleared at the last second and then Jack escaped when his clear out, after admitting he was in two minds to take a touch or clear first time, ended up falling straight to Donovan who saw his effort blocked by a racing Jack off his line.
Yorke almost created a good chance when he fought off a defender on the right of the box but just managed to get his cross blocked out.
The second half began with T&T looking desperate to get back into the contest but still vulnerable with the ten men. Onyewu forced another good save from Jack in the 56th minute and then Convey’s low drive brought the best out the Dundee man. Jack ended up with ten saves.
All the while, a fighting Sancho held his ground with desperate but timely tackles and kept his composure in holding position and getting the ball out of the danger area. And though called upon to perform extra duty at the back, Spann was still able to make the some runs forward on the right.
Kenwyne Jones who came on for Stern John, almost had a penalty call in his favour when he pushed into the left of the box and went down following a tackle but the referee didn’t see it in T&T’s favour.
And Andrews narrowly missed out on a touch to a right side ball which went inches past the left post.
Convey was sent off for a second booking in the 87th minute and with an extra three minutes on the clock, T&T tried in vain to steal a late point. A better second half showing definitely meant that the hard journey continues as the “Warriors” demonstrated that they can still pull it off and it continues at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on September 3 against the Guatemalans.
The local-based contingent is scheduled back home at 1:30pm Thursday while all the overseas-based players were scheduled to depart to their respective destinations on the same day. Yorke was due out of Connecticut on Thursday and schedule to arrive in Sydney on Saturday.

TRI:
21-Kelvin Jack; 3-Avery John, 4-Marvin Andrews, 2-Atiba Charles (8-Scott Sealy 46th), 6-Dennis Lawrence; 9-Aurtis Whitley, 16-Silvio Spann, 7-Christopher Birchall, 20-Collin Samuel (5-Brent Sancho 46th); 19-Dwight Yorke (capt), 14-Stern John (15-Kenwyne Jones 55th).

Subs not used:
1-Shaka Hislop, 18-Densill Theobold, 23-Anthony Wolfe, 24-Cyd Gray.

Head Coach:
Leo Beenhakker.

USA:
18-Kasey Keller; 4-Chris Albright, 22-Oguchi Onyewu, 3-Gregg Berhalter, 7-Eddie Lewis; 19-Steve Ralston (9-Santino Quaranta 72nd), 10-Claudio Reyna (capt), 5-John O'Brien (14-Chris Armas 46th), 15-Bobby Convey; 21-Landon Donovan, 20-Brian McBride (13-Taylor Twellman 83rd).

Subs not used:
1-Tim Howard, 2-Greg Vanney, 11-Jeff Cunningham, 12-Jimmy Conrad.

Head Coach:
Bruce Arena.
News from the 17 of August 2005.
‘Warriors’ go for it.
[/size]

“We have got to work hard in every department of our game.”
That’s how captain Dwight Yorke summed up the requirements for Trinidad and Tobago to get a positive result in their 2006 World Cup qualifier against the United States at the Rentschler Field on Wednesday from 8pm.
The Sydney FC striker was speaking on the eve of the match following a training session with the “Warriors” in Hartford. The team worked out twice with light sessions, one closer to match time at the venue for the game shortly after the US team trained. Head coach Leo Beenhakker allowed his players to go through some routine drills and more or choose their own exercises as they got ready for the encounter.
The forward practiced their shooting with services from the sides from Chris Birchall, Cyd Gray, Collin Samuel and Densill Theobald. Kansas City Wizards’ Scott Sealy and Stern John were particularly sharp in their shooting while Yorke was as ever clinical in his approach. It was good signs for Beenhakker who was also feeling safe without any further potential injury problems.
“It’s definitely going to be a difficult game for us and it means that we must work in every department of our football for this game,” Yorke told TTFF Media after the training. An ESPN camera crew was also on hand to get a final glimpse of the “Warriors” getting ready.
The aim is a win but even failure to come away without a point will not mean the end of hopes for Yorke and his men as matches to follow at home to Guatemala on September 3 and then away to Costa Rica the same week will no doubt prove crucial in the race for third and fourth spot.
“But we definitely want a positive result here. The Americans have come a long way and they are ranked very high right now. They were certainly no pushovers in their recent match against England and that says a lot,” Yorke added. “But I think we have had a decent build up to the game and once we can put everything together on the day then we certainly can come away with something.”
Beenhakker has been careful in his preparations because he knows it could be a close game and every bit of preparedness could be a key in the final result.
“We know what the US can offer and I am sure they might be thinking the same of us because there is a history between both countries on the football pitch. But we have prepared and everything matters on how best we can get it together as a team on the pitch when the whistle goes and I mean everything depends on that,” Beenhakker stressed.
A number of T&T fans are expected to be in the stands with some 20,000 tickets already sold for the game and possibly even more as kick off approaches.
US coach Bruce Arena says he expects T&T to be defensive in their approach.
“They are different now from having one coach to the next one now and they will place a lot of emphasis on defending and I think they will be elated to get three points. They will try to keep the game even for as long as possible and that will require good organization which I think the new coach has brought to the team now… they have a good unit,” Arena said. When asked to comment on the last meeting when USA won 2-1 in February, he replied: “That game has nothing to do with this one. There are no similarities, it’s different players, different coaches and a different situation”
“We have no injuries in the camp now. There is no reason not to believe that we can’t get three points. Claudio has looked good and pretty fit and he wants to be here. They will obviously feel better and be really ready to go on Wednesday.
Reyna expects to face an organized T&T side.
“Since Beenhakker has taken over they have been a very organized team. They always have good attacking players in Dwight Yorke and Stern John with a lot of experience and they are athletic. They have a big physical presence in the back. From all the reports since he (Beenhakker) has taken over they have been very organized and with a lot of disciplined. I think it’s gong to be tough for us to break them down. We have to be patient and be careful of their counter attack especially with them being the road team I think that will be their game plan,” Reyna said. Missing from the USA side will be Eddie Johnson, DaMarcus Beasley and Eddie Pope while T&T is without Brent Rahim and Carlos Edwards.

The Teams:[/size][/b]

T&T Roster for USA match

Kelvin Jack, Shaka Hislop, Marvin Andrews, Brent Sancho, David Atiba Charles, Cyd Gray, Dennis Lawrence, Avery John, Christopher Birchall, Collin Samuel, Aurtis Whitley, Densill Theobald, Anthony Wolfe, Silvio Spann, Dwight Yorke (capt), Scott Sealy, Kenwyne Jones, Stern John.

USA Roster for T&T match

Kevin Hartman, Tim Howard, Kasey Keller, Chris Albright, Gregg Berhalter, Jimmy Conrad, Oguchi Onyewu, Greg Vanney, Chris Armas, Bobby Convey, Eddie Lewis, John O’Brien, Santino Quaranta, Steve Ralston, Claudio Reyna (capt), Jeff Cunningham, Landon Donovan, Brian McBride, Taylor Twellman.
Jason back in Scotland.
By: Graeme Finnan.
[/size]

Jason Scotland was back at Tannadice today, but Dundee United fans shouldn’t raise their hopes of a permanent return for the Trinidadian striker.
Scotland is back in this country on a six-month holiday visa, but, with no work permit, is unable to sign professional forms for any club.
However, he was a welcome face on the training ground this morning after accepting an offer from United boss Gordon Chisholm to come in and keep his fitness ticking over.
Scotland is in limbo, after having his work permit refused by an SPL panel. Now, without a club, he’s unable to muscle his way into the Trinidad set-up and, therefore, little chance of meeting the 75% international criteria required for a work permit to be granted.
Work permit for Sancho & Gillingham.

There was better news for defender Brent Sancho. He secured his work permit on Monday and got the news from agent Mike Bery, while at the Sheraton Hotel in Connecticut. The permit means that Sancho can sign with English League One club Gillingham, or any of two other clubs interested in him.
“It’s a relief to get the permit out of the way and, hopefully, once this (US) game is out of the way it could allow me to go back to the UK and finally sort out a new contract,” said the former Dundee defender.
Kenwyne Jones loves Soca too.
[/size]

Striker Kenwyne Jones has insisted that he is a major fan of Soca music as well after reports in the English Press about Southampton boss having to play reggae music to make him feel at home following a blow to the ankle last week.
“He took a knock on the ankle - but we played some Bob Marley reggae music and he was fine. That lad is so laid-back it's not true!” Redknapp said after Jones scored against his former club Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
But Jones, currently with the T&T team in Connecticut for today’s World Cup qualifier against the US, explained that Jamaican teammate Ricardo Fuller was on the bus and offered the Marley song when Redknapp asked about it.
“Fuller had the Marley and we went with that but I’m a real fan of Soca music. They can’t take that away from me.”
Looking ahead to the US match, he added “I played in the last meeting between the two teams and hopefully I can make some sort of contribution this time too. We need a positive result and I think we have worked hard in training and should be able to pull off a good one.”
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 09:01:16 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Warriors’ go for it.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 01:11:42 PM »
The forward practiced their shooting with services from the sides from Chris Birchall, Cyd Gray, Collin Samuel and Densill Theobald. Kansas City Wizards’ Scott Sealy and Stern John were particularly sharp in their shooting while Yorke was as ever clinical in his approach.

Looks like Beenie is finally ready to use Birchall from the right side!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 01:12:07 PM »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 01:52:09 PM »
WELL DONE FLEX GOOD INFO

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 01:59:13 PM »
It seems very likely that Stern and Seally will start. I don't think the yanks could handle Jones' speed though. He will be a good sub against the American tiring defense.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 02:01:28 PM »
WELL DONE FLEX GOOD INFO

and Mr. Feuntes

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 03:17:54 PM »
that us assistant coach even  know the amount of goal stern john score in the amount of games played .HE GAVE A GOOD BREAK DOWN OUR TEAM,
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 04:11:59 PM »
Isn't Nakhid supposed to be doing the scouting for the team?

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 04:17:21 PM »
De man was tidying up de tape summary on Trinidad and Tobago to show the team. I doubt whether Nahkid that technologically advanced.

De man say Stern is a 'post up' playa with 61 goals in 83 international appearances. I laugh!

De man say we main form of attack is restarts and counterattack and how we big and athletic at the back but when he reached that part about us playing with 8 men behind the ball and he was talking about how to counter that I think it showed exactly why Beenie needs to put some speed in the attack on both sides to keep them wondering about the counter attack when they lose that ball while trying to come at us.

Like he aint know that Trinis learn to run backwards. He say, play the ball forward early or play it wide so that it force our defenders to turn and face we own goal...I laugh again yes!

He aint know if Beenie figurin to get two headed goals from two corners and dust dem up and done.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »
I thkn the most important point he make is that the US bench better than ours...I feel athat is somebody off the bench go score for them.
Go TNT!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 10:52:34 AM »
FUDGE USA.. GO T&T..!!!!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline troy piloy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 11:14:45 AM »
USA coach talking a pack of crap. He ain't go know what hit when we get on that field tonite. Defensive we going for the win 3 points all the way

GO T&T[/color]
Senior Advisor to AWATT's Intelligence Unit

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 09:24:46 AM »
Connolly: For T&T, defeat stings.
By Marc Connolly.

There are no moral victories in World Cup qualifying. A 1-0 loss inside the confines of that Terror Dome down in Mexico City is the same as a 6-0 shellacking in Panama City. You either gain points or give away points. And you only have 10 matches to collect them in the CONCACAF region.
Having only notched a total of four points after five matches coming into Wednesday night's qualifier against the U.S., the Trinidad & Tobago national team wasn't looking to just put up a good fight or prove that they can play with a side that is now the sixth-ranked team in the world. They wanted points. Or, better yet, a point.
Not getting an equalizer over the 88-plus minutes that were played after the U.S. scored 91 seconds into the match in a 1-0 loss stung hard -- even on a night when the home side could easily have hung three or four goals on them with a couple of breaks. Trinidad & Tobago came to Connecticut hoping to pull off an upset or at least salvage a point from a tie rather than simply prepare for their all-important match with fellow CONCACAF minnow Guatemala on Sept. 3.
"We weren't thinking about Guatemala, I'll tell you that," said Avery John, who went 90 minutes at left back for the Soca Warriors. "We know they are one of the top-ranked teams in the world and we are not, but we had the mindset that on any given day, anything can happen."
The type of surprise result the New England Revolution defender was talking about rarely comes without a complete performance, though. And despite playing well for long stretches in the second half, T & T didn't storm out of the gates. Instead of utilizing all that nervous energy in the opening moments of the match by running at the U.S., the Soca Warriors practically stood there and watched while Bobby Convey snuck down the left side of the box and set up Brian McBride for the game's lone goal before most of the 25,488 fans at Rentschler Field had settled into their seats.
"We've known for a long time that the United States always starts very strong," said Trinidad & Tobago's manager Leo Beenhakker. "And we made the same mistake as in the earlier match (2-1 loss at home back on Feb. 9). It took us about 20 or 25 minutes to get in the game. I don't know why. We worked on it, we talked about it. But they need the time to warm up their minds or to play their way into it. In this game, the U.S. started so strong, and it was killing us.
"We also had bad luck because right at the moment when the team was getting a little more involved in the match, we lost a guy."
Beenhakker agreed that Mexican referee Marco Antonio Rodriguez made the right decision by sending off defender Dennis Lawrence after he wrapped up Landon Donovan on his way to the goal just outside of the box in the 41st minute. Probably anyone watching around the world would share that same opinion, too.
Oddly enough, though, the red card seemed to wake up the visiting side, as they played much better in the second half with 10 men as they did in the first half with 11.
The ejection of Lawrence also gave Kansas City Wizards striker Scott Sealy an opportunity to make an early entrance into the match. In a rather ill-timed move, Beenhakker brought on Sealy and Brent Sancho during stoppage time at the end of the first half rather than wait until halftime. For Sealy, it represented his 15th cap for T&T, yet it was the first time he has appeared since Beenhakker was hired in May to take over the slumping side.
"Since I got here on Sunday night, I've had to show my stuff in practice and then tonight," said Sealy, who is a leading candidate for MLS Rookie of the Year after scoring seven goals in 21 appearances under Bob Gansler. "He saw me on tape, but never first-hand. So I had to prove myself. I think I stepped up. He had the confidence to put me in a game like this, so I think that says a lot."
Sealy didn't have many opportunities to turn and run at a very well-run U.S. back four, but he did pressure some balls out of the back and continued to make hard runs up top giving his teammates a target to lay balls up to. Unfortunately for Sealy, too many balls intended for his head or to open space were either way off the mark or played a little too close to the center back tandem of Oguchi Onyewu and Gregg Berhalter.
"Their organization and discipline just stood out," said Sealy. "They also have some exceptional players on the ball like Landon and Claudio (Reyna). But overall they had a plan and they stuck to it."
Beenhakker said that Sealy is definitely a player he is intrigued by looking forward, and will be a striker that will get more looks as qualifying continues.
"He made a very good impression," he said. "It wasn't easy for him to come into the team when we played with 10, but he's a good slot player. He needs to learn a little bit more to learn to adapt to the international level. At least he has the talent and has the skills. Hopefully, we can make him better with the national team."
While Sealy could take some positives out of the match since he's at the beginning of his international career, it seemed to sting John much more. Playing before a crowd that was made up of several thousand Revolution fans who made the short drive down I-84 from Massachusetts to Rentschler Field, the well-traveled 30-year-old has now earned 63 caps for his country. And if there was ever a time he wanted to see the red & black colors of Trinidad & Tobago shine the brightest, it was on Wednesday night.
"It just is so disappointing because of how it turned out," said John, who had a chance to cover both of his Revolution teammates on the U.S. -- Steve Ralston and Taylor Twellman. "If we get through the first 15 or 20 minutes, it would have been a whole different game. This is a team we respect, but we really hoped it'd be a battle and we'd gain something."
Instead, T&T returns home to Port of Spain in fifth place in the group after Guatemala (seven points) downed Panama (two points) 2-1 on Wednesday night. A victory at home is practically a must for the Soca Warriors on Sept. 3 if they have any chance to even sneak into a playoff for a World Cup berth by way of finishing in fourth-place in the group.
"We're still in it, but we have to work much harder now," said John. "We have a few more games and just really need to get points any way we can."
Should T&T not get a result against Guatemala and ultimately fail to reach the 2006 World Cup, no one will remember the fact that they only lost by a goal on the road to the U.S.

1]; } ?>