April 19, 2024, 12:23:16 AM

Author Topic: in defence of intercol  (Read 7951 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: in defence of intercol
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 05:01:17 PM »
Intercol is a part of we history. That being said we have so much problems in we football focusing on intercol is kind dotish as if we ban the players from intercol we go still be embarass at the next championship we qualify 4
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »
The bottom line is T&T have to make up it's mind what it wants to do with Football,if our aim is to compete on the World stage we should know what to do by now,we around long enough,we have been exposed at all levels,talking will not solve our problems,we have to put some plan/system in place and do it now,doing anything just for one Youth team will not work,it have to be across the board including the women,i hope in my lifetime i can see this done for Football's sake.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »
 If we are looking to improve the standard of play of our youngsters we need to develop new systems.  Quite frankly the current ones aint  working whether it is colleges league, pro league youth teams or national training camps.  what we must now do is sit down and decide what changes must be made and what new systems can we implement.  It does not neccessarily mean an end to colleges league but definitely a change in its structure, perhaps only ten teams, with coaches given to these teams by TTFF, perhaps young players can even recieve scholarships to attend these schools.  What I am saying is we need to look at our demography, economics and educational system and chart a course of development.  What is evident  is the current pathways for a young players development are inadequate.

Offline kaiser

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 05:58:08 PM »
fatman i am in total support of everything you just said once you omit the word TTFF fromyour statement

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 08:27:47 PM »
There are more schools than there are clubs. Some people find their passion for football in school. They always played but never in as structured and organized way. Taking away school football will further limit the number of available players. Why can't we just set standards to see it improve. Taking the better players out of SSFL denies the other players something to measure themselves against.

How does a player get on a club side. Is there expense associated with getting onto a club. In South there is Benedicts, Naps, Prayers, PTown, Mayaro etc etc etc . Which club going to cater to these players?  Who paying for players to leave Point and Chatam to train with Petrotrin and Connection?

Why can't the TTFF come up with a programme that trains coaches in SSFL to develop players that are in line with what is needed at the National level. Isolating a bunch of individuals and developing them solely takes away opportunities from late bloomers, men who mind was in the wrong place etc. It also limits the team achievement to these isolated individuals.

Look how much league England have. Look where Carlos come from. If  EPL sides had said they were only  selecting men from a young age and not loaning them out to lower leagues. They wil llook  at pleayers who play in the reserve league because the lower league have nuff shit hounds and they are wasting time. What would we say about that?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 08:35:02 PM by rippin »
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2007, 09:29:57 PM »
The school football will always be there whether the good players go to clubs or not. School football is a TT tradition. The fans are attached the schools because most have attended Sec. school or have relative and friends associated with the schools. A lot of the games are not that great, but when you have 1000 fans standing around the field screaming and yelling does create a different atmosphere for football. Look, the clubs will do and must do what they think is right for their farm system. Everybody has agreed that the schools are not preparing the youths for  international football. Therefore, all the good school boys will go the the respective pro clubs for the opportunity to develop their skills. The SSFL,  will have to  provide the outlet for the not so good players.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2007, 09:39:13 PM »
There are more schools than there are clubs. Some people find their passion for football in school. They always played but never in as structured and organized way. Taking away school football will further limit the number of available players. Why can't we just set standards to see it improve. Taking the better players out of SSFL denies the other players something to measure themselves against.

How does a player get on a club side. Is there expense associated with getting onto a club. In South there is Benedicts, Naps, Prayers, PTown, Mayaro etc etc etc . Which club going to cater to these players?  Who paying for players to leave Point and Chatam to train with Petrotrin and Connection?

Why can't the TTFF come up with a programme that trains coaches in SSFL to develop players that are in line with what is needed at the National level. Isolating a bunch of individuals and developing them solely takes away opportunities from late bloomers, men who mind was in the wrong place etc. It also limits the team achievement to these isolated individuals.

Look how much league England have. Look where Carlos come from. If  EPL sides had said they were only  selecting men from a young age and not loaning them out to lower leagues. They wil llook  at pleayers who play in the reserve league because the lower league have nuff shit hounds and they are wasting time. What would we say about that?
        This is about the best post i've read on this topic so far,this is why i've said this thing is a little more complicated than a lot of people think,we have a lot of good ideas but is if our country is ready for .

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 10:14:49 PM »
palos and zandolie i never said intercol does not have its faults my basic points are
1: it cannot be blamed for the insanity in korea that blame rests solely with the technical staff
2: it needs help and improvement but it is a part of our trini identity

What we should actually be discussing are the merits of Primary School football and how we can get our better coaches working at this age, with a specific focus on improving technique. This of course could supplement similar programs at the club level (if they already exist)

Kaiser you are right it did need help, a radical reoganization. We had a good thing, our thing, but the SSFL, TTFF were LAX . The speed at which football is changing requires lightening adjustments to stay competitive.

But in the midst of destruction lie the seeds of opportunity, in fact they are right under our nose as we speak. As Observer stated club money in T&T will be moving into youth development. Here it is;  golden opportunity for TTFF and the primary schools league to hook into that money for real development. Maybe primary school ball is not as glamourous as intercol, but great things sometimes spring from the smallest and least expected places.

The schools and TTFF have a great opportunity NOW. If they fail to do take advantage of this other competing vehicles like private academies and foreign players will be the beneficiaries. And another World Cup will see us crying and complainng about the same thing over and over and over and over.......

Blessings
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 11:03:50 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2007, 07:21:59 AM »
you know we talking intercol. what about primary school football, thats where the emphasis should be placed
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2007, 07:28:19 AM »
No one on the thread suggested getting rid of school football.

In my time Primary school football was around, I actually played Primary school with Bert Neptune and Micael Maurice, two of the more well know names in T&T football. We use to even go to Presentation and Naps and play their U14 teams.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2007, 08:54:06 AM »
 Taking the best players out of colleges league or reducing the number of teams has nothing to do with isolating late bloomers or preventing colleges players from developing.  It is about simply giving national teams the best possible opportunity to equip themselves for the rigours of the international game. There will be several pathways to development and even if 20 players are training witha an elite squad, the colleges league and club football will have to be developed simultaneously to give as many players as possible the opportunity to develop. 

I do not think getting rid of colleges league was ever an option but we definitely need to have a permanent squad of elite players training and playing international games year round, can the colleges league alone facilitate this? I doubt. We are talking about diet, psychological preparation monitoring of fitness levels etc we must make changes to the pathways that exist no rocket science needed simple common sense.  Or continue taking cutarse.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2007, 09:06:07 AM »
Intercol and SSFL as it currently stands is to T&T football development as 8 track tapes is to cutting edge Electronics technology.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2007, 10:34:56 AM »
What we should actually be discussing are the merits of Primary School football and how we can get our better coaches working at this age, with a specific focus on improving technique. This of course could supplement similar programs at the club level (if they already exist)

Dais ah good question....I cyar remember my primary school having a football team, or there being interschool rivalry. It really have that in TNT?

Question....anybody here play football for they primary school?

Asolutely.  I play for Mt. Lambert RC back in 81-82 and my brother play b4 that.  There was football in primary school, however, who coaching is the problem.  We basicially had a teacher that basically assemble the squad.

Same here.  I played against Mickey Trotman in the East zone Primary school final.  We bounce up again some years later at the Intercol level.

No real quality in coaching at that level as far as I remember.  Maybe that is the root of the problem?

Well actually, dais ah revelation to me. I knew there was track and field(ah still have mih relay gold) :D, and sports day etc.. but I had no idea there was organized  football too. Cricket too allyuh? I only start to play football in form 1 Fatima. No joke. In truth, it had some fellas who was already decent in the class, but not overly so. Most ah dem fellas learn the game in secondary school. And this was in the heyday of Fatima big intercol side. Ah few months of running with dem men and is only beats I was sharing. :)

I feel this real important. Ah notice plenty men saying that our players are late bloomers. Could it be because we start playing organized football kinda late?Now starting to play organized games at 10/11 years is too late to compete with world class folks.

In the US, even though in Elementary and Middle School there may not be organized teams, they does play plenty "soccer" in PE, actually with competent enough 'coaches' (some of whom never kick ah lime seed in they life but just involved and loving it). Dais in Miami round my area, me eh know 'bout elsewhere. Another real important part is though, during the season, you will see soccer moms carting dey kids to run ball in some nearby community league, ALL OVER DE PLACE, like AYSO dat was news in trini the other day, and yuh will see plenty youths playing ORGANIZED ball on ah big field in uniform getting bawl up by dey coach and parents running up and down de field cussing each other and ting, with dey coolers and grandma and all.

I feel our problem is not just the quality of the coaching at youth level, and in school, allyuh doh fool allyuh self, quality coaching is non-existent in intercol, SSFL, whatever allyuh want to call it, I feel we doh play enough organized ball at a young enough level and the parents not involved enough in youth ball. We doh start early enough, and this is why we so technically incompetent later. Right now I feel we at ah stage  (the U7 team for example) where we know how to play the game, but our skills preventing us from playing as we want.

Ah bet yuh if yuh take a poll right here on this forum, yuh will find that the fellas who reach any kinda heights in ball, had some parent behind them particularly when they was younger pushing them on. Same way with Academics.

It eh rocket science fellas, for us to take that leap forward, we need a combination of better coaches all'round, plenty more organized ball and, parental input, AT THE PRIMARY SCHOOL AGE  LEVEL.

And to deal with the current issue, NO, intercol as it currently standS CANNOT prepare our athletes for world class football. IT NEVER HAS!!
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »
Socafan do you know the same Coaches that coaching in the Colleges League are the same ones that coaching the Youth teams for all these clubs,so don't only condemn the Colleges League the Youth League is not any different(same Coaches/Players),we just spinning top in mud,it's all about a lot of questions and no answers,come people what to do because nothing you try is guaranteed to work,we don't have the patience to hold out for a couple years and give a plan time to work,we are a country of quick fixes and always blaming JW when things don't work,if anything is to work we have to settle for losses while it's being implemented and Coaches must be made accountable when things go wrong.

When you talk about Academies, when and where in T&T ever had Academyies?who use to run them?may be you mean Coaching schools and they were very few,we learned our Football in the Minor Leagues and as a Youth can't remember any parents being around,i guess in the game today everybody plays a part and are involved.I don't think some people realize how much Soccer is being played in the US,i can tell you in my club we start them as young as 3 yrs old and it have to organized,if it's not organized people will not bring their kids,they pay for that,i do it personally because i set the programs for all the ages.Primary School Football is nothing new,it had a Primary School League in San Juan when i went to school and that was back in the 60's,when Football was fun it had everything now everybody wants to be paid and that changes the ballgame.

1]; } ?>