April 26, 2024, 07:11:09 PM

Author Topic: Best England Manager  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Slade

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Best England Manager
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »
Despite all his short comings "Sven-Goran Eriksson" was one of the best England Managers in recent times, and he will take Manchester City to the top of the Premier League.

Just remember "you read it and hear it first"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Best England Manager
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 10:47:17 AM »
In recent times, compared to Keegan and McClaren he is a boss.

Of all time, probably Ramsey, at least he won the WC and a top league title as a club manager, something that no other England manager other than Eriksson had on their resume when they took the job (Robson only won titles after leaving England).

Despite his poor man-management I would still put Hoddle as the best manager other than Ramsey, above Robson and Sven.

Interesting to note that in terms of points per game (accoring to Wikipedia) McClaren is the worst of all time, with Robson a close second worst.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 11:11:41 AM »
I am not a big England fan..so I'll stick to WC. Since I started watching football, I'd say Bobby Robson got the best out of England at the WC. WC 1986 they were building into a great team and lost in the quarters to the eventual champions through a cheat goal.

1990 they again lost to the eventual champions in the semifinals. on penalties. They had their share of luck to get there, but once in the semis, they were the better team and should have won. It was England's best chance of winning a WC in my lifetime. They would have been odds on to win that final against Argentina, if not for conceding the unluckiest of goals against the Germans

Robson's WC acheivements were better than Sven's. England also played better football under Robson at the WC. Sven's overall record is better though..or so the stats say

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:13:50 AM »
Winterbottom,Ramsey,Robson,Venables( my pick) and Erricksonn
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »
Sven only lost 3 competitive games as England coach!! Two on penalties and one courtesy ah ronaldinho free kick!! (that is f**king amazing).

Sven by ah mile!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
Sven only lost 3 competitive games as England coach!! Two on penalties and one courtesy ah ronaldinho free kick!! (that is f**king amazing).

Sven by ah mile!!

ah love it!!

Ramsey won the WC & Robson got them to the semifinals of the WC
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 01:26:07 PM »
I am not a big England fan..so I'll stick to WC. Since I started watching football, I'd say Bobby Robson got the best out of England at the WC. WC 1986 they were building into a great team and lost in the quarters to the eventual champions through a cheat goal.

1990 they again lost to the eventual champions in the semifinals. on penalties. They had their share of luck to get there, but once in the semis, they were the better team and should have won. It was England's best chance of winning a WC in my lifetime. They would have been odds on to win that final against Argentina, if not for conceding the unluckiest of goals against the Germans

Robson's WC acheivements were better than Sven's. England also played better football under Robson at the WC. Sven's overall record is better though..or so the stats say

Although I put Robson and Sven in de same crocus bag for not playing the black players enough...I give the edge to Robson as well, he got the most out of his squad and arguably had less to work with that Sven.  Sven showed little imagination in his tactics and his teams always found a way to catch the early plane home. 

Good riddance...let him go take that Thai thief money and waste Man. City time now.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 01:32:28 PM »
I know you said he didn't play them enough Bake N Shark but to Record he has Debuts of the Most Black Players and played the Most Black Players.

One 'landmark' is when England played Brazil and there were more 'Black' Players on the Pitch than white.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 01:34:42 PM »
I like how Robson & Venables had dem playin.  

Hoddle seem like a flake.

Taylor seem out of his depth...plus he didn't get much support from the British media.

Keegan wear he heart on he sleeve and left by de seat a he pants

I really only hear bout Ramsey team.....see some highlights....dey was ok.

I believe Sven was the most tactically astutue & best man manager of de one's I familiar with but he fall victim to an insurmountable combination of player politics and increasingly spiteful media.  I think he above all never bought into the hype about all these world class players England was supposed to have and hitch he wagon to the 2 truly world class players they did have.....Rooney and Terry.  Some others resented dat and dat was dat.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
Veneables play the least black players & he had more available than Robson

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:45:39 PM »
I wouldnt include Sven on the list..

His legacy tainted with negative, uninspired and questionable tactics (eg eng v braz 2002), jokey selections (eg. theo walcott, chris powell, mills) and a glaring lack of passion... not to mention the disruptiveness caused by de off-field antics which is suicide in media-frenetic england.

I never got the impression that Sven could make a difference in a game by his coaching.. He sort of just laid out plans in training then sit and watch everything pan out.. for the supposed talent he had at his disposal he couldve done much better..

I would have to say Venables or Robson.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 01:53:58 PM »
I wouldnt include Sven on the list..

His legacy tainted with negative, uninspired and questionable tactics (eg eng v braz 2002), jokey selections (eg. theo walcott, chris powell, mills) and a glaring lack of passion... not to mention the disruptiveness caused by de off-field antics which is suicide in media-frenetic england.

I never got the impression that Sven could make a difference in a game by his coaching.. He sort of just laid out plans in training then sit and watch everything pan out.. for the supposed talent he had at his disposal he couldve done much better..

I would have to say Venables or Robson.

lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 03:03:14 PM »
Whoever next bring it home. Because all dem fellas all yuh call say it comin home and d last time it came home I wasn't born yet.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 08:31:12 AM »
I like how Robson & Venables had dem playin. 

Hoddle seem like a flake.

Taylor seem out of his depth...plus he didn't get much support from the British media.

Keegan wear he heart on he sleeve and left by de seat a he pants

I really only hear bout Ramsey team.....see some highlights....dey was ok.

I believe Sven was the most tactically astutue & best man manager of de one's I familiar with but he fall victim to an insurmountable combination of player politics and increasingly spiteful media.  I think he above all never bought into the hype about all these world class players England was supposed to have and hitch he wagon to the 2 truly world class players they did have.....Rooney and Terry.  Some others resented dat and dat was dat.

One small caveat... he may have hitched his wagon to those two, but he was ridden by his un-droppable captain; "goldenballs".
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
In my opinion is between Ramsey (64-72, not his whole reign) and Ron Greenwood. Their records aint padded like more recent managers as in their days friendlies was real games, not like now. Both suffered from errors of judgement that haunted their careers especially Greenwood when he waste two spots by his gamble on taking Keagan and Brooking to the World Cup injured and neither fully recoverd. He did'nt lose ah game in Spain nor did England ever look like losing, they just could'nt score when it mattered most. Ramsey suffer fuh ballsin up against Germany in 70 and 72. I saw England under Greenwood and tape of England under Ramsey.....those were the most dominant England teams, extremely difficult to beat.

On a side issue, it always amaze me that England had its greatest number of naturally gifted players in the 70's yet never qualify fuh any tournaments then.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 09:59:56 AM »
Let me respond by asking a simple question .....who is the greatest sprinter for Trinidad and tobago ??...well for that same reason Alf ramsey will remain the best english manager...he won the only title england has ever won in football....junior or senior !
Noone else has come close ...not even getting england to a final in any tournament...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »
Let me respond by asking a simple question .....who is the greatest sprinter for Trinidad and tobago ??...well for that same reason Alf ramsey will remain the best english manager...he won the only title england has ever won in football....junior or senior !
Noone else has come close ...not even getting england to a final in any tournament...

They did make a European Cup semi at home.

Their best results have been at home.  What was Ramsey's results away from home?

Do games against Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland count?  Ah mean, they used to play dem teams countless times.  Scotland was kinda decent but the others were woeful.

By de way.....de greatest sprinter from T&T, whether you like him or not, is Ato Boldon.  Rajpaul, wit all due respect to him and his historic GOLD does come close to what Ato has achieved in T&F.  That in no way diminishes Rajpaul's own achievements because they have indeed been stellar.  But Ato is the greatest T&F athlete we've ever produced.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:20:54 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 12:40:44 PM »

Is Carlos Alberto Parreira a better coach than Tele Santana. Some would say yes, some would say no....

Your black & white logic ain't gospel....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 01:00:38 PM »
Mike Bassett  :devil:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »
Best modern day manager (80's to now) - Sir Bobby Robson
Most exciting brand - Terry Venables

even though Sven had a better win ratio..his teams were very boring to watch
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 12:30:56 PM »
watching england play since the mid 80s..from that time to now i would say Robson was the best and small mag ah close second.

1]; } ?>