April 19, 2024, 01:33:59 AM

Author Topic: Does Dwight Yorke belong in the Hall of Fame  (Read 11628 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Does Dwight Yorke belong in the Hall of Fame
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:17:21 PM »
No question there should be a FIFA-sanctioned International Football Hall of Fame, and many a debate would rage on questioning the selection and make up of it's members.  Starting in our own backyard (and please, leave bling patriotism and sentimentality aside), does Yorke belong among the greatest footballers ever?

Make yuh case...

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Does Dwight Yorke belong in the Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Sure, Dwight does belong in an International Football hall of Fame.  His contribution to ManU’s 3 titles, the many teams he has played for, and of course his hard work and leadership with our beloved T&T Soca Warriors should automatically get him in.  No other player from that part of the world has achieved and attained (girls included) what “all night Dwight” has accomplished.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 01:34:55 PM »
Yep.

I would have said no if he did not have this 2nd chapter to his career. Captaining T&T in the WC, Sydney FC championship, English Championship winner with Sunderland, and now Sunderland's skipper in the EPL..all in a completely different position from where he made his name. All when he should be winding down and should be a spent force. He will just about squeeze in a FIFA hall of fame....his is a very high profile feel-good story about overcoming the odds and fianlly....redemption. Don't underestimate non-footballing sentiments to enter the argument..everything FIFA does is a popularity contest. So his ability + his accomplishemnts + his amazing story = FIFA hall of fame
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:36:32 PM by Filho »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »
Cyah say if there is no criteria.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 02:43:37 PM »
Isn't there an existing fifa hall of fame ?.... i think...... any ways the old teddy should definatly be there. the oldest ball playing maniac in england, mr sheringham. with a lenghty EPL and international record and goals to show for it would make him a worthy candidate, and dwight too of course!!!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »
Only if you consider the number of things get Brush.

trini hall of fame yes

World hall of Fame, may be

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »
Don't know much about how a hall of famer is selected, <edit> but intuition would suggest <edit> that if Dwight can't be selected- very few if any other players from the region/era can be.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:56:52 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 04:22:25 PM »
Does Dwight Yorke belong in the Hall of Fame?

Yes, in every one that there are out there ;)
check why here
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:25:46 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 04:32:56 PM »

check why here

So if de criteria state yuh have to be a World Cup winner, what den?  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 04:39:18 PM »
check why here
So if de criteria state yuh have to be a World Cup winner, what den?  8)
arent there many GREAT footballers who have never won a World Cup

but to answer ya question, I guess he would not be considered.
or to say it a dimfront way
"He ent gehin in"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 04:44:46 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 05:25:22 PM »
Anybody who tell me that Van Basten and Cruyff can't make it in they hall of fame deserve some serious licks. That is one of about 15 reasons why the "Never won a World Cup argument can't hold water with me"
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »
To echo a couple sentiments above

he should be ushered into the hall of fame  based solely on being one of the few players to 'taste' the rare air of the footballing treble

Moreover, based on de amount ah bad ting he pass troo and come out clean without even ah light cough? that alone should be criteria to have him immortalized on the cover of third leg magazine for life
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 10:28:30 PM »
Anybody who tell me that Van Basten and Cruyff can't make it in they hall of fame deserve some serious licks. That is one of about 15 reasons why the "Never won a World Cup argument can't hold water with me"
Good points there...very likely that Becks himself will be locked out of the WC winners ring as well and hard to think that he won't be up for serious consideration as well.

Palos... setting up criteria would be de purview of the professionals.  Unfortunately there isn't a FIFA HOF so we going on pure hypotheticals here. 

I like Filho's arguments...and would have to say that if they break down the selections by regions he'll be a shoo-in (from CONCACAF).  For what he's done for caribbean football and CONCACAF footbally (just helping put us on the map) he deserves some consideration as well.  Helping Sunderland gain promotion...helping Sydney to a Championship...TnT to a WC...ManU to the treble....good credentials.

My football knowledge ent extensive like some ah allyuh fellas, so I'm wondering about other players (in other leagues even) who might match up or have a better argument in favor of their candidacy.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 10:45:41 PM »
without question....and brush dem till yuh Tobago tounge replace yuh Tobago tote...boooom
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 11:05:12 AM »
Starting in our own backyard (and please, leave bling patriotism and sentimentality aside), does Yorke belong among the greatest footballers ever?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All yuh no patriotism eh, after all, de man is from TnT, but no  sentimentality either eh  :rotfl: .. just ignore the fact that this is ah forum that have 90 pct Trinbagonians posting and we speaking about TnT most sucessfull footballer ever but ah still doh want any DAMN PATRIOTISM OR SENTIMENTALITY EH !!.......good, now leh meh hear all yuh non bias answers please ...

I eh lying all yuh reel good oui  :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 12:17:04 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 11:33:11 AM »
Starting in our own backyard (and please, leave bling patriotism and sentimentality aside), does Yorke belong among the greatest footballers ever?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All yuh no patriotism eh, after all, de man is from TnT but no  sentimentality either eh  :rotfl: ..and doh mind this is ah forum that have 90 pct Trinbagonians and we speaking about TnT most sucessfull footballer ever ah still doh want any DAMN PATRIOTISM OR SENTIMENTALITY EH !!.......good now leh meh hear all yuh non bias answers please ...

You really dis dotish or yuh does just act like ah backside for yuh own self-amusement?  Yuh know de difference between patriotism and blind patriotism...or is that too high a concept for your simple mind?  Blind patriotism/sentimentality is arguing 'yes' merely on the grounds dat he's Dwight Yorke, TnT's greatest footballer...without any real argument to support one way or another.  Any 12-year old would comprehend that...understandable if it goes over yuh head.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 11:39:24 AM »
Yep.

I would have said no if he did not have this 2nd chapter to his career. Captaining T&T in the WC, Sydney FC championship, English Championship winner with Sunderland, and now Sunderland's skipper in the EPL..all in a completely different position from where he made his name. All when he should be winding down and should be a spent force. He will just about squeeze in a FIFA hall of fame....his is a very high profile feel-good story about overcoming the odds and fianlly....redemption. Don't underestimate non-footballing sentiments to enter the argument..everything FIFA does is a popularity contest. So his ability + his accomplishemnts + his amazing story = FIFA hall of fame

Has any other player had a redemptive story like that? Falling out of favour in one of the world's biggest leagues and going to a fledgling, untested league at the edge of the world, only to make it back up there again?

Usually man who go to the Middle East, Australia, Asia or some minor Euro league after playing in the big time doh go back, mostly because they can't. Of course some luck plays a part in Yorke's case but the story itself is a testament to the quality of the man on and off the field

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »

All yuh no patriotism eh, after all, de man is from TnT but no  sentimentality either eh  :rotfl: ..and doh mind this is ah forum that have 90 pct Trinbagonians and we speaking about TnT most sucessfull footballer ever ah still doh want any DAMN PATRIOTISM OR SENTIMENTALITY EH !!.......good now leh meh hear all yuh non bias answers please ...

You really dis dotish or yuh does just act like ah backside for yuh own self-amusement?  Yuh know de difference between patriotism and blind patriotism...or is that too high a concept for your simple mind?  Blind patriotism/sentimentality is arguing 'yes' merely on the grounds dat he's Dwight Yorke, TnT's greatest footballer...without any real argument to support one way or another.  Any 12-year old would comprehend that...understandable if it goes over yuh head.

AH weak  :rotfl: :rotfl: You real smart boy !!!  :rotfl:
anyway here is meh non bias answer  :rotfl: YES he belong in de HOF ...
 :rotfl: meh belly huttin meh wid laugh  ...tek win mr bright boy  :rotfl:  
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 11:47:56 AM »

AH weak  :rotfl: :rotfl: You real smart boy !!!  :rotfl:
anyway here is meh non bias answer  :rotfl: YES he belong in de HOF ...
 :rotfl: meh belly huttin meh wid laugh  ...tek win mr bright boy  :rotfl: 
OH OH! here they go again.  ........theif head as usual.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 11:59:51 AM »
OH OH! here they go again.  ........theif head as usual.
Eh no 'they' nah dred...I duz hardly make thread and de thought enter mih head so ah say lemmih put it out there for folks to weigh in.  watch close and see whey de bacchanalist mentality come in.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 12:01:39 PM »
Yep.

Has any other player had a redemptive story like that? Falling out of favour in one of the world's biggest leagues and going to a fledgling, untested league at the edge of the world, only to make it back up there again?

Usually man who go to the Middle East, Australia, Asia or some minor Euro league after playing in the big time doh go back, mostly because they can't. Of course some luck plays a part in Yorke's case but the story itself is a testament to the quality of the man on and off the field

Man might still come back and say dat ent enough doh...now if he take Sunderland to where they win something in the Premiership...or secure they place in the EPL...stronger argument there.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 12:08:34 PM »
depends on the exclusivity of the hall of fame..

If is only for men like Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Psuskas, Eusebio, Zidane and Di Stefano then no he cant make the list... He doesn't have enough accolades to merit inclusion, and he was never THE BEST footballer on the planet...

But if I see men there like Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Romario, Weah, Baggio, Zico, Francescoli, Van Basten, Henry then most definitely he should be there..

As a matter of fact, let me throw something out into this debate..

Based on footballing achievements, Dwight Yorke should make a Hall of Fame before David Beckham!

what allyuh tink bout that?

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 12:15:07 PM »
All yuh does really set all yuh self up for blows oui !! ...I is de dotish one rite ?  buh tell meh nah ,wat is  'bling patriotism'  eh ? dais being patriotic while yuh have orn ah fackling gold chain n  2 cocohead bracelet or wha  ??? I know somehow you will have de correct answer becuz you is one ah de brightest  ppl on dis site ......meh belly huttin meh still..
'bling patriotism'  :rotfl: :rotfl:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
depends on the exclusivity of the hall of fame..

If is only for men like Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Psuskas, Eusebio, Zidane and Di Stefano then no he cant make the list... He doesn't have enough accolades to merit inclusion, and he was never THE BEST footballer on the planet...

But if I see men there like Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Romario, Weah, Baggio, Zico, Francescoli, Van Basten, Henry then most definitely he should be there..

As a matter of fact, let me throw something out into this debate..

Based on footballing achievements, Dwight Yorke should make a Hall of Fame before David Beckham!

I eh know boy Omar. How yuh defining achievements? Becks may not be the greatest talent..but he has achieved a lot more than most of his peers

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »

expand on this one....

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »
well... I am looking at it contextually... and thats why i said based on footballing achievements..

off the top of my head, Becks win de same titles as Yorke at Man Utd right??

Then he went Real Madrid and in 5 years won absolutely nothing apart from that last league title.. Which, when you play for a club like Real Madrid, is a failure of monstrous proportions..

Also, not many will look back fondly on Beckham's achievements with the English national team apart from that great free kick goal against Greece in the qualifiers.

Now, Yorke had a great era at Man United.. Then his career took a downward turn at Blackburn/Birmingham/Sydney...  But then he resurrected his career to lead the smallest ever nation to a World Cup final (Not even George Weah can boast this), and even more amazingly transformed to a midfielder.. Not forgetting, he was statistically one of the best midfielders for the World Cup group stages..

On top of that he returns to a Sunderland team at the bottom of the league to lead them to a Championship.. And back in the premiership now giving creditable performances at the age of 36..

I just think Yorke's story football wise makes for better reading.. And in saying so, I'm not trying to exhibit bling patriotism..    :D

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 12:46:56 PM »

expand on this one....

Don't forget that Yorke win 3 League titles and a Treble all by himself.

No footballer in history has done that.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 12:50:02 PM »

Of the top of my head Beckham won titles with United before and after Yorke so they didn't exactly win the same titles.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »
well... I am looking at it contextually... and thats why i said based on footballing achievements..

Then he went Real Madrid and in 5 years won absolutely nothing apart from that last league title.. Which, when you play for a club like Real Madrid, is a failure of monstrous proportions..

Also, not many will look back fondly on Beckham's achievements with the English national team apart from that great free kick goal against Greece in the qualifiers.

Now, Yorke had a great era at Man United.. Then his career took a downward turn at Blackburn/Birmingham/Sydney...  But then he resurrected his career to lead the smallest ever nation to a World Cup final (Not even George Weah can boast this), and even more amazingly transformed to a midfielder.. Not forgetting, he was statistically one of the best midfielders for the World Cup group stages..

On top of that he returns to a Sunderland team at the bottom of the league to lead them to a Championship.. And back in the premiership now giving creditable performances at the age of 36..

I just think Yorke's story football wise makes for better reading.. And in saying so, I'm not trying to exhibit bling patriotism..    :D

Becks won more titles than Yorke at Man U.

Becks was a Fifa player of the year finalist (top 3) twice and UEFA club player of the year  twice.

He's also a UN Ambassador and has his own football development academies in the US & UK.

Don't play down winning the Spanish La Liga title- despite being poor by Madrid standards to have only won 1 in 5 years, it's still a huge achievement on anyone's resume.

That part about not many would look fondly on Beck's England career...not only is that overly subjective, but most likely very very inaccurate. From What I understand, Becks is loved as the England skipper. The public was begging back for him after he got dropped, and they got reminded what an asset he was to the team. He's regarded as a great leader. Not to mention that b4 this last WC campaign, Dwight's representation of T&T in nat'l colours was way way way less than stellar...

Sad to say it, but your reasoning is based on patriotism & sentiment, not pure achievement....bringing Sunderland up to the EPL- emotion...Huge achievement yes....but Yorke didn't do it by himself, and he wasn't playing 90 mins of every game in the Championship...Taking the smallest nation to the W.C.- sentiment. Don't get me wrong a huge achievement on T&T's and on Yorke's part, but again Yorke didn't do it by himself- putting so much of it on his shoulders is merely one for the storybooks.

You realize that in the same breath that you down played the Spanish la liga title as a failure, you hailed Sunderland's winning of the Coca Cola championship a huge achievement- sure you were "putting it in context"...fair enough, but there's another term for that, it's called sentiment my friend....sentiment...Picture Dwight Yorke winning a title with Madrid....and Becks playing with Sunderland in the Championship.... that might change your view.

Yorke is great, but in terms of pure footballing achievement- he hasn't achieved more than Beckham....at least not yet.   
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 01:25:53 PM by kicker »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »
To echo a couple sentiments above

he should be ushered into the hall of fame based solely on being one of the few players to 'taste' the rare air of the footballing treble

Moreover, based on de amount ah bad ting he pass troo and come out clean without even ah light cough? that alone should be criteria to have him immortalized on the cover of third leg magazine for life

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Classic

"Bling" patriotism and sentimentality says yes
Head says................................................probably but wait til after his retirement to judge
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

1]; } ?>