April 26, 2024, 12:09:52 AM

Author Topic: Basketball and Football  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Basketball and Football
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:41:16 PM »
A pardner and I were discussing today which sport places more emphasis on individual effort (and thus less on team effort), Football or Basketball.

He said football places more emphasis on the individual because one man can change a game, specifically citing the example of Ronaldinho who can dribble through four defenders and score, or out of nowhere conjure up a pass that will end up in a goal. 

I rebutted this by saying that it is a team effort (using the same example of R10 and Barca) because somebody have to get the ball to Ronaldinho (e.g. Deco, Xavi) to fool his many markers, while Ronaldinho's dribbling or final pass is only good if someone is there in space to collect it and finish (i.e. Eto'o/Messi/Henry). Thus, de whole team involved.

He then said that the five men on the basketball court are usually all involved in the play until the shot and there is more tendency to pass in restricted individual space due to marking. But as a Raptors fan (only when dey good) I know when we missing Chris Bosh, man does put money on Raptors losing. Thus for me Basketball places more emphasis on individual effort.

We halted de discussion I think because we see a nice thing and proceeded to deliberate whether she could get it or not. Anyway de talk had potential to go on some more, since I understood where he was coming from and there are lot of things to take into consideration.

So I decide to throw it out to the esteemed forumites on de board and see how it could continue. NBA fellers I lookin for your input too.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball and Football
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:30:07 PM »
A pardner and I were discussing today which sport places more emphasis on individual effort (and thus less on team effort), Football or Basketball.

He said football places more emphasis on the individual because one man can change a game, specifically citing the example of Ronaldinho who can dribble through four defenders and score, or out of nowhere conjure up a pass that will end up in a goal. 

I rebutted this by saying that it is a team effort (using the same example of R10 and Barca) because somebody have to get the ball to Ronaldinho (e.g. Deco, Xavi) to fool his many markers, while Ronaldinho's dribbling or final pass is only good if someone is there in space to collect it and finish (i.e. Eto'o/Messi/Henry). Thus, de whole team involved.

He then said that the five men on the basketball court are usually all involved in the play until the shot and there is more tendency to pass in restricted individual space due to marking. But as a Raptors fan (only when dey good) I know when we missing Chris Bosh, man does put money on Raptors losing. Thus for me Basketball places more emphasis on individual effort.

We halted de discussion I think because we see a nice thing and proceeded to deliberate whether she could get it or not. Anyway de talk had potential to go on some more, since I understood where he was coming from and there are lot of things to take into consideration.

So I decide to throw it out to the esteemed forumites on de board and see how it could continue. NBA fellers I lookin for your input too.

yuh pardna talking shit.

One man has a much easier time affecting the outcome/flow of a basketball game than one man on a football field.  How many times yuh see one man touch the ball end-to-end on a football field picking up the ball in the back and dribble whole field and score?  Rarely happens.

Basketball?  Happens all the time.  Easier for an individual to flourish on a court where there are less bodies to navigate...it really begins and ends there.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:42:05 PM »

yuh pardna talking shit.

One man has a much easier time affecting the outcome/flow of a basketball game than one man on a football field.  How many times yuh see one man touch the ball end-to-end on a football field picking up the ball in the back and dribble whole field and score?  Rarely happens.

Basketball?  Happens all the time.  Easier for an individual to flourish on a court where there are less bodies to navigate...it really begins and ends there.

I should have added in de initial post to consider each sport relative to the size of its own respective playing area and the amt of players on that area,  for a separate analysis and then a final perspective

So what I mean is, in a football field of twenty two players and a basketball court with ten players, each in its own context...which sport places more emphasis on individual effort?

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:01:51 AM »
In Basketball it is easier (MUCH, MUCH easier) for one man to affect the ebb and flow and subsequently the outcome of a game and the comparitive sizes of the playing areas, as you pointed out, plays a factor as well, but even so, it is still just as much a team sport as football is.  We does get tie-up sometimes when we watching (or watched) a Michael Jordan, an Allen "Practice" Iverson, a Karl Malone or a Reggie Miller do their respective thing on the court but we all know how much "Da Bulls"struggled to win games or championships when MJ had even a marginally subpar cast of role players.  Karl Malone was incapable of bringing the ball up from the backcourt and Reggie wasn't gettin' off no shots if his teammates didn't set all the picks and double and triple and quadruple screens just right.  As for AI...........NO COMMENT!  :rotfl: But even Larry Bird needed the rest of his teammates to do their jobs just right in order for him to be as successful as he was.  The question is a nice one to ask out loud and debate over food, drink and break for nice ting and ting, but, ultimately, teamwork is still the order of the day and the individuality can be misleading.    Yuh know wha you and yuh pardner could debate, Boss?:  How much the role of the coaches/managers plays a part in the success/failures of american sports as opposed to football once the whistle blows and play starts......yuh go get to watch more woman wit dat one!  ;D

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 11:49:39 AM »

I should have added in de initial post to consider each sport relative to the size of its own respective playing area and the amt of players on that area,  for a separate analysis and then a final perspective

So what I mean is, in a football field of twenty two players and a basketball court with ten players, each in its own context...which sport places more emphasis on individual effort?
I have no idea what any of that suppose tuh mean.

1]; } ?>