July 26, 2024, 07:47:20 PM

Author Topic: Fortunes of our 2001 U-17 team  (Read 13164 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fortunes of our 2001 U-17 team
« on: July 12, 2005, 08:15:49 AM »
Me and Big Magician was talking de odda day and he brought up de topic of players from de 2001  U-17 World Cup. He was lamenting de fact dat nutten much eh really happen wit dem fellas. Ah decided tuh look further into it and ah realize dat not one of dem fellas graduate to a regular role on de senior team. Only one (Jan-Michael Williams) ever get into de mix, I eh counting de bligh Bertille give Devon Leacock against Haiti in Tobago.

What ever happened to dese fellas?

PlayerPosition
Jan-Michael WilliamsGoalkeeper
Marvin PhillipGoalkeeper
Julius JamesDefender
Lee HaynesDefender
Devon BristolDefender
Devin JordanDefender
Kahlil MathuraDefender
Makan HislopDefender
Terrence McAllisterMidfielder
Roderick AnthonyMidfielder
Cyrone EdwardsMidfielder
Devon LeacockMidfielder
Kerron PhillipsMidfielder
Jamal HamidMidfielder
Ochieng AbosiMidfielder
Jerol ForbesForward
Nkosi BlackmanForward
Andre AlexisForward

Ah know Kahlil Mathura at Mercer University, Makan Hislop at University of South Carolina, Julius James at University of Connecticut, Ochieng Abosi at North East Stars, Nkosi Blackman at T&TEC SC, Jerol Forbes at United Petrotrin and Jan-Michael Williams at W-Connection.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fortunes of our 2001 U-17 team
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 08:18:11 AM »
ttff is wha happen to them fellas just like they screw up everything else in tt football

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 08:20:50 AM »
Wasn't Kenwyne Jones part of that team?  Simoes had convert he to a defender for that tournament?  Makan Hislop end up bein captain of de recent Under 20 team.

Ah think Julius James was also part of the same team.  Otherwise, dem fellas eedah playin in PFL, minor leagues, university abroad (e.g. Makan Hislop) or jes drop out of football.

Dis is not uncommon.  Check de Argentina, Brasil, France, or Burkina Faso teams from de same tournament.  How much of their players curently playin for their senior team.  I think Tevez might be the only one.  Pongolle and Le Talec who starred for France havin trouble makin Liverpool bench.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:25:19 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:23:28 AM »
I think Marvin Phillip has the potential to be a great keeper if he can improve his discipline.  I know he was banned from football for spitting on a referee.  Also he had several other problems with authority while in school.  I hope he don't turn out to be one of those classic examples of wasted talent.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 08:54:29 AM »
Tallman, Kenwyne Jones was part of that team.

Jerol Forbes and Marvin Phillips may have been in a better position today had it not been for their attitudes.

Nkosi Blackman just lie down after he got injured and never bother again to try and push heself to get better.

I suprise Devon Bristol eh reah no way.... he was good.

Them US based may play one day in de MLS, so yuh never know.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 09:02:58 AM »
Quote from: palos
Wasn't Kenwyne Jones part of that team?  Simoes had convert he to a defender for that tournament?

Tallman, Kenwyne Jones was part of that team.

Dis is true. Fuh some reason he is not listed as part of de squad on de official site.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 09:11:20 AM »
After reading Birchall's story you really realise how our players really have to play catch up. Birchall signed his youth academy contract at age 16 and those guys training 5 hrs a day. Now best case scenario, those guys go the a US university and play ball and eventually drafted to an MLS team, their development would be years behind players in Europe or South America when compared to players their age. It's a real pity so many talented players fall by the way side.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 09:15:41 AM »
Yuh could blame TTFF to a point.

But as an individual you have to take responsibility for your life, your career. Can't keep blaming others for misfortunes.
A lot of those fellas created their own problems.
Do like Dwight and Latas....train yuh ass off, stay focused and party like yuh never party before (after yuh make it).

We still have grown fellas on the senior team that puttin on weight after a few days when they come home. That is plain and simple indiscipline.

We need to work on that.

Sayin all that...as far as the youth teams progressing, the coaches could take some blame for that because we keep calling back fellas that fading (ah eh go call no names) but they not takin the inexperienced fellas and giving them experience even if they not up to international level. The US do it all the time, now look at Beasley, Donovan, and even Gavin and Eddie Johnson he only 20.

Everybody have to play their role with the individual playin the biggest role, desire.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 09:22:01 AM »
After reading Birchall's story you really realise how our players really have to play catch up. Birchall signed his youth academy contract at age 16 and those guys training 5 hrs a day. Now best case scenario, those guys go the a US university and play ball and eventually drafted to an MLS team, their development would be years behind players in Europe or South America when compared to players their age. It's a real pity so many talented players fall by the way side.

Jayerson

Ah don beat that topic till the horse dead....fellas doh think US College ball puttin people behind. So we will continue in the same vein.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 09:31:38 AM »
Listen.. I know is sometime hard for them men eh.. And opportunites does be hard to come by.. But if you take a page from Yorke book.. He used to real train hard.. He used to eat, breathe, shit and eat back football.. He used to practice ball controll and skillin ball in an enlosed area like a dustbin or some thing..

Given that, it made it easier for people in authority to make a case for him when he was a youth.. DOH mind when scouts had come down, they did not come to see him initially.. But da is another storey

LUCK IS THE ABILITY TO CAPITALIZE ON OPPORTUNITY..

In order to capitalize on opportunity, you have to prepare.!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 10:40:38 AM »
Jerol Forbes and Marvin Phillips may have been in a better position today had it not been for their attitudes.

Nkosi Blackman just lie down after he got injured and never bother again to try and push heself to get better.

Forbes was de best striker in dat team and still is the best in his age group, but he messed up his life while training for the U20 squad in 2003 WCQs.

He had a bad atitude toward training and thinks he to good. He wasnt going training, saying that he was sick bad, but TTT and some members of the TTFF ketch him liming in de stands during ah intecol match.  He was dimissive of the whole issue (typical "ah feel ah too good" mentality).

He was then dropped and branded as a trouble maker! 

Sam, Blackman has tried, but has never rediscovered the touch that made him score one of the goals of the tournament.  He tried out for many Pro league teams but never made the grade.  He put on alot of weight while recovering from injury and has not really lost it (even though some of the fat has turned into muscle) and remains a little too bulky.

Marvin Phillip is an outstanding goal keeper with a lot of confidence in his ability.  He believes that he has talent and backs himself to suceed, but as u say, he has an attitude problem.

The whole spitting incident with Ramesh Ramdan tarnished his image a little even though no one really knows what happened!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
What If
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 12:19:13 PM »
What if the core of players who played  4 d national team in the U 17 world cup had still been in trainin as ah unit,wouldn't we of had ah excellent team .Where are these guys now? What ah waste of talent

Jan-Michael Williams
Marvin Phillip

Devon Bristol
Jamal Hamid
Julius James
Kenwyne Jones
Lee Haynes
Makan Hislop

Devon Leacock
Cyrone Edwards
Kahlil Mathura
Ochieng Obosi
Roderick Anthony
Terrence McAllister

Andre Alexis
Jerol Forbes
Kerron Phillips
Nkosi Blackman
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: What If
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 12:22:45 PM »
i saw julius play last wednesday against virginia tech and he still doin it

captain and all

hit ah man ah drag on the line

it last for about 30 secs  it was so long
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 12:24:28 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ahahahha.. he might is well kiss de man ! whheeeys
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 12:25:16 PM »
In theory it could work, however there are a number of situations where some players develop very fast while the are  Under 18 but fizzle out by 21.

The reason is they may have been fast bloomers while their peers are growing at a normal rate. When their peers do catch up around age 21, some of the early bloomers are now surpassed by their peers that were inferior at the under 18 stage.

It is a good idea to keep a Under 17 group togther, they will play better amongst themselves, but these players don`t nessecarily become Senior team players. Good idea though  :beermug:

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 12:41:50 PM »
i saw julius play last wednesday against virginia tech and he still doin it

captain and all

hit ah man ah drag on the line

it last for about 30 secs  it was so long

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 12:42:37 PM »
boy them fellas scatter all over the place

I know bout 4 ah them personally

2 playing in NY for college teams and the other 2 went trials when BSC was d coach and get run.
Some had earing and others had ras. The man start to call them Shirley and all kind ah shit and they get vex and never went back.

but I agree is ah waste though.
If them fellas had stick together we might ah have something special for 2010. Even 1 or 2 could ah be on the bench like how Brasil had Ronaldo on the bench for the 94 world cup.

Més que un club.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 01:22:12 PM »
nuff man is gone foreign to pay univerisity ball and doh ever come back.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 03:20:34 PM »
I think leacock playing for BSC school
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 04:09:07 PM »
Wasn't Kenwyne Jones part of that team?  Simoes had convert he to a defender for that tournament?  Makan Hislop end up bein captain of de recent Under 20 team.

Ah think Julius James was also part of the same team.  Otherwise, dem fellas eedah playin in PFL, minor leagues, university abroad (e.g. Makan Hislop) or jes drop out of football.

Dis is not uncommon.  Check de Argentina, Brasil, France, or Burkina Faso teams from de same tournament.  How much of their players curently playin for their senior team.  I think Tevez might be the only one.  Pongolle and Le Talec who starred for France havin trouble makin Liverpool bench.

palos that is true but our playing population cannot be compared to Argentina and Brazil. If you look at small Nations its different
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 04:50:59 PM »
WOI!!! this was a tournament i supported France and T&T but when T&T got eliminated i stuck with France and i was at the Stadium for the Final between them and Nigeria. THAT WAS A GAME DAMN!!

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 07:06:30 PM »
 Marvin Phillip has alot potential and I could see him on the national side in future....Go T&T

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 07:48:21 PM »

Yeah that is good talk dey brother, them boy scatter all over de place, I personally know 6 of them them boy went benedict's with me, Nkosi Blackman ( Chucky)  Andre Alexis ( Chinky) Devon Bristol, Lee Hanes, Devon Leacock, all these guys went Benedict's and well Forbes went NAPS. But I tell you some of them is ah attitude problem, others kinda lazy and lack the drive and determination. But that under 17 team was suppose to be a team we build and nurture and mould like clay. We need to realize that footballers yes born with talent but only pratice and hard work will you reach the top. TTFF should have things implemented to harness this yong talent and nuture them. I see somebody post a message about how Arsenal signing a 16 year old guy Vela, look at the ages them fellas breaking in the Premiership,dwight yorke was young too when he was called to play for Aston Villa before moving to Manchester United, my point is that we should have these fellas growing and learning the game from qualified Professionals. Look at it most young premiership deals comes when you showcase your talent at a Youth Championships, Yes and we all know Dwight Yorke was in one of those Youth Championships. Also, Saviola, KAKA, and many of them fellas. Premiership manangers does look in Fifa World Youth Championships to scout for new talent they don't usually come into domestic leagues and say waw we find talent here, no you have to showcase it to the world. We have some very talented and gifted players, but a team cohesion is important , alluyuh ain't hear what Beenhakker say when he came he met 20 very good individual players but nothing resembling a football team. We have to be able to gel together and once we make it to a Youth Championship we in good standing, because the World will see. A senior Team qualification will do some good, in terms of scouting, but ideally you don't want your players being close to 30 before they break in the world's TOP leagues you want them young , fresh quick and eager to learn. So my thing is scout for the talent in T&T , gather them harness the talent and groom them fellas and here what trying to put Trinidad on a MAP will be a thing of the past, no more WHERE TRINIDAD THAT IN AFRICA?. NOW EVERYBODY GO KNOW WHERE THE BEAUTIFUL TWIN ISLAND REPUBLIC COULD BE FOUND AND WELL ACQUAINTED WITH THE PROFESSIONALS WE HAVE HERE IN TNT. REMEMBER TTFF , YORKE , LATAPY HISLOP AND THEM FELLAS PLAYING DAYS COMING TO AN END WE NEED TO FILL IN THE SPACES, PLAYERS ARE NOT BORN OVERNIGHT SO WE HAVE TO SOW NOW SO WE COULD REAP LATER. WE NEED DYNAMIC AND PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS LIKE THESE ARE. SO MY SWEET T&T BLESS UP FOREVER AND I CAN'T WAIT TO REALIZE GERMANY. AND ITS NOT ABOUT JUST REACHING GERMANY BUT PERFORMING CREDITABLY IN GERMANY AND WE HAVE NO INFERIORITY COMPLEX. WE COULD BEAT THEM SO CALLED BIG TEAMS, ITS JUST ABOUT BELIEF AND SELF CONFIDENCE, DISCIPLINE AND DEDICATION. 

I LOVE YOU T&T . BIG UP SOUTH - WHERE ME LA BREA POSSE DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                                           WHERE ME POINT FORTIN POSSE DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                                           WHERE MEH SANDO POSSE DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                      GUIDANCE AND BLESSINGS.

T&T  Faithfully  TRINITIM.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 08:30:32 PM »
Well that was 2001 ....what about they fellas from the National under 20 team from last year. Young Abu Bakr and Tint .... and the next young fella who they say real hot ...(can't remember his name). He was a midfielder.

At Least one ah dem fellas shoulda be somewhere around the senior team now. I know Bakr somewhere in England studying ..but what bout the rest ah dem........

it just shows the kinda support programs we have in place. Same thing gonna happen to the under 15 team and the little white boy who get on real bad will get lost in the jungle too.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 09:19:07 PM »
Allyuh fellas ent realize dat it not worth it to come home from dem american schools to try to play football. Dem fellas going to american schools at ages ranging from 17-20. De local leagues not paying enough to make a decent living, so after colleges league why stay to play home if yuh still have to work to handle yuh business, Yuh cyah train at a high level when yuh wukkin whole day. When opportunity come up to play at an American school, it usually mean a degree and a chance to make some decent money. Yuh could take a shot at coming home for a game or 2 if yuh get callback, but yuh could hardly find de time to come home to train for too long without being paid. Times changing lil bit now as de opportunity for younger players to go foreign opening up, and when we buss Bahrain ass it will be even better. All ah really saying is dat dis is a life thing yuh know. Everybody like dey favourite player to continue mashing up people, but who feeding him if some big club doh sign him later?
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 11:17:51 PM »
Actuallly NCAA rules don't allow student athletes to be paid to play so while dem fellas away on scholarship dey can't come back and play with them pro-teams. At least not for money.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2005, 11:33:55 PM »
I personally know the players on that under 17 team that went benedicts. I thought in them days Nkosi Blackman would have made a good striker. I was there when he scored that brilliant goal against Crotia in the under 17 world cup. After that horrible car accident Nkosi haven't been back to the striking form he was in before that incident. He played for benedicts after that but he gained alot of weight and he seem out of the game. It is sad that a few bad decisions he made caused his downfall. It is sad that the TTFF haven't forgotten about these players.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2005, 11:49:59 PM »
Aight good example. Portugal win that youth tournament out of that team how much players yuh hear bout since then. A total of 3......... Figo, Rui Costa and I think Rui Jorge. So it eh surprsing me that yuh doh her bout them fellas again.

The major problem is lack of discipline.

I remember watching an interview with Dennis Bergkamp he said that he never even saw what the inside of a night club looks like. He doesn't drink alcohol. Now what player you know has that disicpline.

You go tell a set of under 17 players "aye stay home tonight and rest yuh have training" or "doh eat that KFC it eh good for yuh body."

Never happen

We need a system like Ajax where all men does do is play football go to school and sleep.

Més que un club.

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 12:21:16 AM »
I think there are tons of reasons why it is soo extremy hard to make it to top level and every year harder.
One of the more important reason right now is that there are too many distractions in our 1 world countries.
Its sad but kids now play playstation or Xbox but in certain parts of Brazil and South Africa not.
Every single player that really makes it has to be mad like hell in a first world country.
All the books you read are the same, they are giving it a 100% nothing else can come in their live.
Of course you can make some music, but only after being tired from football. My brother was in school with Dennis and his older brother( Bergkamp). Two great players in their youth but only Dennis made it.
And back then Dennis was already weird and not like a normal kid, never ever he took alcohol or went out. Nothing came between him and his dream, his brother was a bit more 'normal', and didn't make it.
It really helps by the way to have an older brother that can play good, also Maduro here had the same and therefor always played with kids that were 2-3 years older incl. his brother of course every single day.
Then you have to improve your skills fast since you play on concrete and older kids kick hard.
Further the resposibilities, if you look at some african players how their carreer can give food & money  to entire villages, for them football isn't just fun. I mean that makes you take it real serious...like if you can help pay for that operation of your sister or uncle etc etc. Here in A'dam there are also a few street football players that can send any prof. into embarresment with pure technical skills. The best of them get a small contract to appear in Nike commercials or Playstation games, but they know they can't give in the training hours for a normal club career.
my 2 cents

« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 01:00:53 AM by dutchman »
Rumor has it that every other thing you read or hear is just a rumor.

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 12:41:05 AM »

We need a system like Ajax where all men does do is play football go to school and sleep.

Funny how we both thought about Dennis.
Ajax has a good system but since the ''Bosman" arrest I'm not sure if it is still making money.
Not much fun if you train someone since he is 6-7 years till 21 years and then just leaves for nothing.
They have now programs with some foreign clubs ( one is in South Africa, Cape town)
Because of their names Ajax and PSV do (still) get some of the best young players in the world.
Everyone wants to prepare himself like Ronaldo, Romario, but I wonder for how long.
Barca and Arsenal also give the youth a change.
Rumor has it that every other thing you read or hear is just a rumor.

1]; } ?>