June 04, 2024, 10:32:28 PM

Author Topic: Fortunes of our 2001 U-17 team  (Read 12635 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Fortunes of our 2001 U-17 team
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 08:09:23 AM »

We need a system like Ajax where all men does do is play football go to school and sleep.

Funny how we both thought about Dennis.
Ajax has a good system but since the ''Bosman" arrest I'm not sure if it is still making money.
Not much fun if you train someone since he is 6-7 years till 21 years and then just leaves for nothing.
They have now programs with some foreign clubs ( one is in South Africa, Cape town)
Because of their names Ajax and PSV do (still) get some of the best young players in the world.
Everyone wants to prepare himself like Ronaldo, Romario, but I wonder for how long.
Barca and Arsenal also give the youth a change.

very true!  but you also have to consider that Ajax in the past had the pick of the litter. players use to come from all over Holland & Scandanavian as well. Names like Molby, Petterson, Laudrup and Litmanan to name a few. now everyone has turned to youth academys in a professional way. many following the Ajax example. at one time in Holland, PSV did not worry with youth. the saying was Ajax make them PSV buy them. now PSV producing young players. also with the competition for players came forced rulings demanded by smaller clubs.  such as Ajax can only select Dutch players from a 90 mile radius from Amsterdam.
youth football is a huge part of so many clubs today. so competition for young players have created professionalism but also placed traditional academys on the back foot.

Just another note on that subject. The U17 T&T team coached by Najjar in Guatemala (date???) had Latapy, Yorke, Shaka, Lewis. That team was robbed by the way by some very suspect refereeing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 09:08:56 AM by Tallman »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2005, 08:40:05 AM »
Yuh could blame TTFF to a point.

But as an individual you have to take responsibility for your life, your career. Can't keep blaming others for misfortunes.
A lot of those fellas created their own problems.
Do like Dwight and Latas....train yuh ass off, stay focused and party like yuh never party before (after yuh make it) ...

Don't forget that BSC & Jah Lilliwhite respectively played an important role in the development of both players, while keeping them focued.  The other players may not have similiar individuals in their lives making it more difficult for them.  Everyone at an early age need someone to guide and protect them ... this personal responsibality crap normal comes from individuals with "penis envy".

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 08:54:59 AM »
Observer, you're very well informed and right about PSV ( Philips) buying ;D

Still Ajax has big problems since the Bosman arrest and the money they can ask for a player.
Many clubs stoped again with the youth education since Bosman.
Even top clubs like Arsenal and Barca find it more sense to buy the top 16 year olds then to train them from 6 years old. Ajax has this expensive system and can't just stop with it since it still is one of the best.
But it would be really good if now after 10 years ''Bosman'' we get a new rule in the game itself.
A max cap of 4-5 foreign players in the field. That would be good for European football and would force clubs like Arsenal to invest money in a youth program. Eventually it would benefit the entire world if Real, Barca MAnu etc etc had to spend money in a youth program instead of offering millions to 16 and 15 years old.

Ok It would also make the differences between the top 5 and the rest in Europe smaller o, it wouldn't come down to only how deep the pockets are.
Rumor has it that every other thing you read or hear is just a rumor.

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005, 08:58:24 AM »
Disgruntled, ah glad to hear uh say something like that. Any man on this website who went to his coaching school will tell uh. He use to have he people spying on men in party. Uh cyah go clubing and u cyah be seen drinking ah bear. U know, real people had a problem with that. Even I thought it was too extreme, but now I understand why he did those things.

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 09:14:38 AM »
just adding
Our man Leo has a very good nose for good players.
Back here in A'dam it was mr. Beenhakker who managed to get:
Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Mido, Hatem Trabelsi en Maxwell to Amsterdam!MAN HE IS BOSS !!
Since he left it is all downhill over here.  >:(
Especially on the buying part, perhaps if he choice to stay in T&T we could rent him to get players again like Zlatan  :D ...please?
It's a total mess nowedays here in A'dam.

This year Hatem Trabelsi, Maxwell, Steven Pienaar and I think Nigel de Jong will all leave transfer FREE!!!
And Zlatan went for almost free to Juve.
PSV does it a lot better finacially, look what they got for Robben & Ruud and both players didn't even do the PSV school...

jusme

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2005, 09:28:07 AM »
Aight good example. Portugal win that youth tournament out of that team how much players yuh hear bout since then. A total of 3......... Figo, Rui Costa and I think Rui Jorge. So it eh surprsing me that yuh doh her bout them fellas again.

that is not true, many players from Portugal's youth championship teams went on to great careers as well as long service on the senior team.  the most notable ones off the top of my head are  Paolo Sousa, Joao Pinto, Vitor Baia, Abel Xavier, Fernando Couto, Nuno Capucho and Jorge Costa.   All those except Sousa were on the roster up to the 2002 world cup.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2005, 09:32:43 AM »
Dutchman this is where FIFA have to take more responsibility. FIFA law states that if a club wishes to buy a youth player they have to compensate every club that youth player played for since the age of 12 (maybe 10). Most clubs do not follow that rule. What needs to be done is for all clubs to come to some agreement and or simply sign the players to a minimal two year contract with a buy out clause of say $6000,000.00. This way you get a return on your investment or you have two years in which to decide if the club wishes to sign th eplayer to a proper contract.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2005, 10:31:57 AM »
You right
And there are even more options.
The NBA basketball has a much better rookie system.
Almost any sport has a better system.

Right now we're only a little lucky with current Brittish immigration laws, that's why Alex is parked at PSV and not with his real Boss ( Roman & Chelsea). The boy first needs to get important with his national team ( Brazil) before he is allowed into the UK. ;D thank god he has some competition in Brazil.
I think T&T is also lucky with current Brittish immigration laws, as from T&T I think you are allowed easier to work at least a few years in England. ( Not ?) That's still the best country to play football nowedays.
But every year the top 6 or 7 are more appart from the rest, every year there will be less surprizes in modern football if they don't change anything. I also really think Ajax will one day (soon) spend less on the 6-14 year olds since it is too expensive if you can't collect later. some young players also just behave bad and get send away from Ajax and then a few month later are playing super for clubs like Arsenal.
Makes you think twice next time a 16 year upcomming star all of a sudden start doing strange things.
Perhaps his dad talked to Roman or some other hot shot with deep pockets, and wants to get to England a.s.a.p, so what is easier then to get send away ?
Current rules aren't good at all, something needs get changed.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2005, 10:32:37 AM »
well what ever happends trinidad need a good youth trainin system. you just have to look at teams who were no bodies like france, turkey, portugal. how they all came through. an investment has to be made. youth academys educate and help players, so they have somthing to fall back if they dont make it. trinidad has too many players with raw talent but no one to turn it into true technical ability. coaches from abroard also need to be brought in. players need to be spotted from 12-15. trinidad is a small island compared to most footballing nations so to scout every league/savanah/school wouldnt be every difficult. remember trinidad is 1.3 million we can never ever win the numbers game so we need to do everything we can to unearth players, im very sure theres a young latapy or yorke there somwhere just needs to be caught. remember to have a good team all u need is 11 decent players and 1 great coach.

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2005, 10:48:04 AM »
You're right pioneertrini
If you translate this back to what is good for T&T then I think that there must be a good advantage for a English or Scottish club to have a satellite club in T&T. Just like Ajax & Capetown.
It benefits them since the immigration laws are easier from T&T and Jamaica... not ?
To set it all up in T&T without any proffesional club being a sponser, mentor and buyer I don't think it will really take off as good. All kids want to have a dream they are willing to give and sacrifice, but it helps a lot if they know that some premier league or 1st division is looking how they preform weekly.
Then they could possibly move over to the Uk at 14 or 15 years old, even at Brittish and T&T families that are willing to take in a kid for a few years.
my 2 cents

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
U-17 team from 2001...where are they now?
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 03:39:59 PM »
was wondering when i was watchin the Barca- Bremen game today and saw Diego...and knew he was here for that tournament...and wasnt even a consistent starter i believe...but watch him now

where our players r....anyone could give some info like was done for the 91 team....

thanks

found this team list...:

Goalkeepers:
Jan-Michael Williams (St Anthony's).
Marvin Phillip (Princes Town SC).

Defenders:
Devon Bristol (Carapichaima Sec).
Jamal Hamid (Arima SC).
Julius James (St Anthony's).
Kenwyne Jones (St Anthony's).
Lee Haynes (St Benedict's College).
Makan Hislop (Signal Hill).

Midfielders:
Devon Leacock (Scarborough Sec).
Cyrone Edwards (Trinity College).
Kahlil Mathura (St Mary's College).
Ochieng Obosi (El Dorado Sec).
Roderick Anthony (capt - Naparima).
Terrence McAllister (El Dorado Sec).

Forwards:
Andre Alexis (St Benedict's College).
Jerol Forbes (Naparima College).
Kerron Phillips (Scarborough Sec).
Nkosi Blackman (St Benedict's).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 03:46:41 PM by AZZURRI »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-17 team from 2001...where are they now?
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 03:49:31 PM »
Jan-Michael Williams W-Connection
Marvin Phillip Starworld strikers

Defenders:
Devon Bristol United Petrotrin
Jamal Hamid - ??
Julius James UNCON
Kenwyne Jones Southampton
Lee Haynes - United Petrotrin
Makan Hislop -University of South Carolina Columbia

Midfielders:
Devon Leacock   St clair coaching school ah think
Cyrone Edwards ?
Kahlil Mathura ?
Ochieng Obosi ?
Roderick Anthony ?
Terrence McAllister - JOE PUBLIC

Forwards:
Andre Alexis  ?
Jerol Forbes United Petrotrin
Kerron Phillips ?
Nkosi Blackman - done with football
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 03:50:39 PM »
jus adding to what i found....
have some of the players that went on to make it big...tevez, sinama-pongolle, torres(didnt know he was here!!)

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/U17/tournament/0,6288,U17-2007-15,00.html

nkosi cant..or doesnt play again?

because of his injuries from the accident i mean....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 03:55:46 PM by Tallman »

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 04:08:39 PM »
wayzz..triniman..eh expect a reply that fast jed...

but was lookin at d site...i eh realise that Torres, Mascherano, Zabaleta

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »
i saw nkosi in a match in point over the weekend he scored two, he looked pretty good,i would not say international level but still show some promise.at present he trainin with people who is at "in my view"a lower level than he is,i also heard a rumour that he employed with atlantic lng and he is their 'Sweeper" :rotfl:
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2006, 05:02:37 PM »
i saw nkosi in a match in point over the weekend he scored two, he looked pretty good,i would not say international level but still show some promise.at present he trainin with people who is at "in my view"a lower level than he is,i also heard a rumour that he employed with atlantic lng and he is their 'Sweeper" :rotfl:

i read that somewhere also
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2006, 11:14:04 PM »
Well Terrence Macalister playing with Joe Public... he was Dale Saunders' understudy till de barrage of overseas players came in... Jamaal Hamid was very promising and doing well at Joe Public also, but had a very bad concussion 2 yrs aback and still doing treatment in the US and Trinidad

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2006, 01:36:27 AM »
Wasn't Kenwyne Jones part of that team?  Simoes had convert he to a defender for that tournament?  Makan Hislop end up bein captain of de recent Under 20 team.

Ah think Julius James was also part of the same team.  Otherwise, dem fellas eedah playin in PFL, minor leagues, university abroad (e.g. Makan Hislop) or jes drop out of football.

Dis is not uncommon.  Check de Argentina, Brasil, France, or Burkina Faso teams from de same tournament.  How much of their players curently playin for their senior team.  I think Tevez might be the only one.  Pongolle and Le Talec who starred for France havin trouble makin Liverpool bench.

Palos I doh think Simoes was de coach or involved wid dat team .
Ent it was some kinda Doctor from Nigeria. ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2006, 01:49:56 AM »
Wasn't Kenwyne Jones part of that team?  Simoes had convert he to a defender for that tournament?  Makan Hislop end up bein captain of de recent Under 20 team.

Ah think Julius James was also part of the same team.  Otherwise, dem fellas eedah playin in PFL, minor leagues, university abroad (e.g. Makan Hislop) or jes drop out of football.

Dis is not uncommon.  Check de Argentina, Brasil, France, or Burkina Faso teams from de same tournament.  How much of their players curently playin for their senior team.  I think Tevez might be the only one.  Pongolle and Le Talec who starred for France havin trouble makin Liverpool bench.

The Nigerian started with the group and then they brought in Simones.  Can't remember exactly why they got rid of the Nigerian.  Until Simones, we were just not really taking the squad seriously, even though we knew we were the hosts.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2006, 02:57:59 AM »

Thanks Tenorsaw.

I remember watching Trinidad vs Croatia in the HC in de uncovered stands, rain falling bucket ah drop and only bout 1k fans. And this is Trinidad in a WC at home tuh boot !!
 Dais de game Nkosi score with the run from halfline and the wicked bullet.

Ah ran away from work.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2006, 05:10:25 AM »
Cyrone Edwards went to QRC. If football didn't have any running in it he would have been of the best Trinidad ever see. He got a bad injury in form one. I don't know if that contributed to his lazy style but he was worthless out of possesion. I think he going to school in Canada now. 

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2006, 05:16:12 AM »

Thanks Tenorsaw.

I remember watching Trinidad vs Croatia in the HC in de uncovered stands, rain falling bucket ah drop and only bout 1k fans. And this is Trinidad in a WC at home tuh boot !!
 Dais de game Nkosi score with the run from halfline and the wicked bullet.

Ah ran away from work.  ;D ;D ;D

I went to that game. It was much more than a 1000 fans. It was still disappointing that we didn't full the HC.The other 2 matches were much better crowds. T&T -Brazil U17 was the first time I ever experienced a full stadium. 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2006, 05:21:35 AM »
Nkosi score with the run from halfline and the wicked bullet.

You sure it was a bullet ? I taught he place the ball from a tight angle.... 8) ... nontheless, a good goal.....
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2006, 06:50:23 AM »

The Nigerian started with the group and then they brought in Simones.  Can't remember exactly why they got rid of the Nigerian.  Until Simones, we were just not really taking the squad seriously, even though we knew we were the hosts.
De Nigerian was Chief Adegboye Onigbinde. He get run because he was in charge of de team for at least two years, but there was no improvement and we didn't want tuh embarass we self as hosts of de World Cup. At one point de chief was even T&T's Technical Director.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2006, 07:36:35 AM »

You sure it was a bullet ? I taught he place the ball from a tight angle.... 8) ... nontheless, a good goal.....

Yuh know Flex yuh might be right, but in mih geriatric mind in the pouring rain it look like he hit from the right side top of the box.
But again to me it looked like only about 1000 fans in the stadium but Jah gol say it was much more. Coulda be the gazool too.  ;D ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »

Yuh know Flex yuh might be right, but in mih geriatric mind in the pouring rain it look like he hit from the right side top of the box.
But again to me it looked like only about 1000 fans in the stadium but Jah gol say it was much more. Coulda be the gazool too.  ;D ;D

De official attendance was 10,500
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Class of U17 World Cup 2001 - Where are they now?
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 02:01:57 PM »
we know bout jones phillip and williams. but what happen to the rest of the side?

1   PHILLIP Marvin   08-01-1984   Goalkeeper
2   JAMES Julius   07-09-1984   Defender
3   HAYNES Lee   09-04-1984   Defender
4   BRISTOL Devon   01-10-1984   Defender
5   MC ALLISTER Terrence   05-11-1984   Midfielder
6   JONES Kenwyne   10-05-1984   Defender
7   FORBES Jerol   12-22-1984   Forward
8   ANTHONY Roderick   04-30-1984   Midfielder
9   EDWARDS Cyrone   06-18-1984   Midfielder
10   LEACOCK Devon   11-24-1984   Midfielder
11   PHILLIPS Kerron   05-29-1984   Midfielder
12   HAMID Jamal   08-24-1984   Midfielder
13   MATHURA Kahlil   01-18-1984   Defender
14   ALEXIS Andre   07-31-1984   Forward
15   BLACKMAN Nkosi   04-08-1984   Forward
16   ABOSI Ochieng   06-01-1984   Midfielder
17   HISLOP Makan   09-03-1984   Defender
18   WILLIAMS Jan-Michael   10-26-1984   Goalkeeper

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Class of U17 World Cup 2001 - Where are they now?
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 02:17:18 PM »
Somebody ask this question already... anyhow...

PHILLIP Marvin   08-01-1984   (W Connection)
JAMES Julius   07-09-1984   (UCONN)
HAYNES Lee   09-04-1984  (United Petrotrin)
BRISTOL Devon   01-10-1984  (United Petrotrin)
MC ALLISTER Terrence   05-11-1984  (Joe Public)
JONES Kenwyne   10-05-1984   (Sunderland)
FORBES Jerol   12-22-1984  (United Petrotrin)
ANTHONY Roderick   04-30-1984   (seeling pudden by Charlie)?
EDWARDS Cyrone   06-18-1984   (Selling snow cone by St Anthonys)?
LEACOCK Devon   11-24-1984   Midfielder (Tobago United)
PHILLIPS Kerron   05-29-1984   Midfielder (touring tourist in Tobago)?
HAMID Jamal   08-24-1984   Midfielder (Join Abu Bakar squad) ?
MATHURA Kahlil   01-18-1984   (selling doubles in NY) ?
ALEXIS Andre   07-31-1984   (United Petrotrin)
BLACKMAN Nkosi   04-08-1984 (still feeling sorry for heself) ?
ABOSI Ochieng   06-01-1984  (In china selling nuts)  ?
HISLOP Makan   09-03-1984    (University of South Carolina)
WILLIAMS Jan-Michael   10-26-1984  (W Connection)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 02:22:32 PM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »
 I ain't know bout the rest of them fellas but I know Andre Alexis personally matter of fact he lives in the next street. Anyways Chinky is his nick name and he plays for La Brea. I can't remember the name of the team. Is the La brea team in the La Brea league that sponsored by Alutrint. I heading home for the Christmas I go get a update on the youths and them in the area. I have to get some information for Flex regarding Andrei Pacheco so I go do a clean sweep.

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
I ain't know bout the rest of them fellas but I know Andre Alexis personally matter of fact he lives in the next street. Anyways Chinky is his nick name and he plays for La Brea. I can't remember the name of the team. Is the La brea team in the La Brea league that sponsored by Alutrint. I heading home for the Christmas I go get a update on the youths and them in the area. I have to get some information for Flex regarding Andrei Pacheco so I go do a clean sweep.

I think its st. madelain strikers. not sure
All American

1]; } ?>