April 29, 2024, 04:40:15 AM

Author Topic: Women's World Cup 2007  (Read 36497 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Women's World Cup 2007
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:02:34 AM »
Because it deserves it's own thread.

Brave Koreans hold USA
http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/matches/round=248549/match=56319/summary.html

USA 2 - North Korea 2

After Germany's 11-0 drubbing of Argentina in Shanghai 24 hours earlier, USA and Korea DPR produced a sparkling advertisement for women's football with a fiercely contested 2-2 draw in Group B's opening fixture.

The Asians looked lively in the early going, firing in three shots from distance inside15 minutes that had US keeper Hope Solo looking less than pleased with her defenders. The Americans and their battering-ram forward Abby Wambach did their all to hit back and looked dangerous on set-pieces, but the closest the two-time world champions came in the opening half was when their big striker slammed a towering header off the bar four minutes before the break.

Wambach got the goal she was threatening five minutes into the second half. Picking up a lovely diagonal ball from Kristine Lilly, her powerful shot ended up in the back of the net after slipping through Jon Myong-Hui's gloves. The Koreans were stung into attack and responded in the 58th minute when, with Wambach inside the locker room receiving stitches for a head wound, Kil Son-Hui beat Solo with a shot from outside the box, the ball slipping through the keeper's grasp and into the net.

Four minutes on and with USA still a woman short, the Asian outsiders were in front, a scramble in the penalty area allowing substitute Kim Yong-Ae to poke home from close range. By the time Wambach returned to the pitch, her side were down and needing a lift. Heather O' Reilly provided it after 69 minutes when she took advantage of a poor clearance to hammer a half-volley inside the top corner to earn the Americans a point from this back-and-forth contest.

Up next for the Americans is a date with Scandinavian powers Sweden while Korea will hope to keep up their impressive form when they meet African champions Nigeria.

Player of the match: Ri Kum Suk (PRK)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:08:00 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Women's World Cup 2007
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 10:03:44 AM »
Miyama shares Smith's limelight
http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/matches/round=248549/match=56312/summary.html

England 2 - Japan 2

Aya Miyama was the hero for Japan as her injury-time free-kick earned the Asian side a 2-2 draw with England in a dramatic Group A encounter in Shanghai. England looked to have won the game after Kelly Smith's two quick-fire goals on 81 and 83 minutes, but Miyama, who had earlier fired Japan in front from another free-kick, came to their rescue.

After a goalless first period, Miyama's first dead-ball effort after 55 minutes precipitated a period of sustained England pressure, which was capped when Player of the Match Kelly Smith struck twice. That looked enough for England until Miyama drove the ball past Rachel Brown to give Japan their first ever point against European opposition at the FIFA Women's World Cup.

The sides are both next in action in Shanghai on Friday, when Japan take on Argentina and England face the early group leaders Germany.

Player of the Match: Kelly Smith
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:08:29 AM by Bitter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 10:05:21 AM »
Uwak attack stuns Swedes
http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/matches/round=248549/match=56318/summary.html

Nigeria 1 - Sweden 1

Nigeria's Cynthia Uwak, who plays her club football in Sweden, crushed the Scandinavians' hopes of a perfect start to China 2007 when she struck an equaliser eight minutes from time in Chengdu on Tuesday. The 1-1 draw means that all four teams in Group B (USA, Sweden, Nigeria and Korea DPR) are even on one point apiece after one matchday.

The clash of cultures and styles began happily enough for the fancied Scandinavians, who created a few decent chances early on. After only two minutes a snapshot from Hanna Ljungberg forced a fine save from the outstanding Precious Dede, who pushed the ball up and against the crossbar. Victoria Svensson then hammered against the same woodwork on the half-hour mark.

Despite being up against it at times in the opening period, the Nigerians grew in confidence as the match progressed. Ifeanyi Chiejine had a good chance to score on a counter-attack late in the first half, but the teams went in at the break goalless.

The Swedes did not take long in breaking the Nigerians' resistance after the restart. Frida Ostberg's midfield industry led the way in the 50th minute as she played in captain Victoria Svensson, who made no mistake slotting home.

Despite the setback, Nigeria's refusal to give up paid dividends when Falkopings striker Uwak tied the game from 12 yards in the 82nd minute.

The Swedes, runners-up at USA 2003, will now be keen to improve in their next match against USA, who drew with Korea DPR in their first match, while Nigeria take on the impressive East Asians.

Player of the match: Stella Mbachu (NGA)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:09:12 AM by Bitter »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 10:07:10 AM »
Germany make stunning start
http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/matches/round=248549/match=56313/summary.html

Germany 11 - Argentina 0

World champions Germany offered a stunning statement of intent with a record 11-0 win over Group A rivals Argentina in the Opening Match of the FIFA Women's World Cup China 2007 at the Shanghai Hongkou Football Stadium on Monday.

Argentina made the worst possible start when goalkeeper Vanina Correa punched the ball into her own net from Melanie Behringer's corner after 12 minutes. Kerstin Garefrekes doubled Germany's lead with a 17th-minute volley and Behringer then made it three with a fine individual effort. Birgit Prinz headed Germany's fourth on 29 minutes and scrambled a second on the stroke of the interval to make it 5-0.

Germany had beaten Argentina 6-1 at the 2003 finals and they surpassed that margin when Renate Lingor lobbed number six on 51 minutes. Sandra Smisek scored the seventh before Prinz claimed her hat-trick on 59 minutes - and in the process equalled Michelle Akers' record number of 12 FIFA Women's World Cup goals. Smisek then claimed her own treble, striking twice more, before Correa's second own goal, this time from a Lingor corner, completed Germany's tournament-record victory in added time.

Player of the match: Birgit Prinz (GER)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:16:14 AM »
doh close yuh eyes when heading de ball ladies.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »
allyuh know afro.

allyuh know jewfro.

i present...the Japfro!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:56:38 AM »
I was now looking to post the same pic (the jafro), but i went to lunch.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 11:03:10 AM »
doh close yuh eyes when heading de ball ladies.

My observation with women is that they usually have problems heading the ball,my take is that it's a bit mental because women are sensitive towards their faces,if you look at some of these women how they fix their faces to play Football,you know they eh want no ball touch that,i work with little girls and it's difficult teaching them to head the ball,they always closeing their eyes it's the first habit you have to break.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
allyuh know afro.

allyuh know jewfro.

i present...the Japfro!

:rotfl: Good one! I never thought someone from Japan could grow an puff like that!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 12:05:23 PM »
Good to see Nigeria getting a point against the Swedes. They showed some potential in the Womens' World Cup here in the states ('99 I think)....appears that their program is still improving- could only be good for the game.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 12:06:57 PM »
Dat is a one bad PERM people...  :o

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 01:16:48 PM »
My observation with women is that they usually have problems heading the ball,my take is that it's a bit mental because women are sensitive towards their faces,if you look at some of these women how they fix their faces to play Football,you know they eh want no ball touch that,i work with little girls and it's difficult teaching them to head the ball,they always closeing their eyes it's the first habit you have to break.

It likely has nothing to do with their gender.  I see nuff pictures of men heading the ball and their eyes instinctively close at the moment of impact.  Doesn't mean you can't see what you're doing...I don't necessarily see it as a deficiency.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 01:21:25 PM »

It likely has nothing to do with their gender.  I see nuff pictures of men heading the ball and their eyes instinctively close at the moment of impact.  Doesn't mean you can't see what you're doing...I don't necessarily see it as a deficiency.

de man say he coach little girls and notice a pattern, you say you see pictures...

lol, you is real jones yes...

BnS.. i'm curious...  do you play any football whatsoever?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »
that england , japan game was boss
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
for those who want to see d USA vs Korea game, it on tv6 for d trini viewers
Youtube Channel

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »

de man say he coach little girls and notice a pattern, you say you see pictures...

men play the game with more physical intensitiy and in general appear to will launch into headers with what looks like less trepidation than women....But young boys learning the game also have the bad habit of taking their eyse away from the ball to early when heading and either bracing or hitting the ball with the wrong part of their head. It's one of the first habits that needs broken for both sexes. These female pros play pretty brave...and they are generally not afraid to fly in. Men and women close their eyes immediately after making a powerful headers when in close contact with anther persons head. It's instinctive. Bakes is right...if you look a fellas from Cannavaro to Shearer...they will always close their eyes after launching into a powerful header with another player in the immediate vicinity. In the end the secret is not keeping your eyes open...it's keeping them open long enough to get the right contact. When in open space or executing a cushioned header it's easier to keep eyes open

ZIDANE of course, has the perfect technique

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:37:25 PM by Filho »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 04:05:50 PM »
Men do close their eyes when they head the ball. I have seen many pictures with men eyes close. Just upon impact to the forehead most people(MEN and women) close their eyes.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 04:09:06 PM »
lord korea give USA  run for dey money  :o WTF, Korea dpr looking good (Not d women eh)  :devil: , Germany lookin d best so far
Youtube Channel

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 06:17:34 AM »
Brazil too strong for Kiwis
http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/matches/round=248549/match=56331/summary.html

Brazil 5 - New Zealand 0

Brazil made a winning start to their campaign in Group D as goals from Daniela, Cristiane, Marta and Renata Costa secured an emphatic 5-0 victory over New Zealand in Wuhan.

Midfielder Daniela needed just ten minutes to break the deadlock with a strike from outside the box and the lead was doubled when Cristiane netted from a similar range early in the second half. No10 Marta made it three with a low shot across Kiwi goalkeeper Jenny Bindon with 17 minutes remaining before the South Americans underlined their supremacy with two further goals in the closing minutes.

First Renata Costa unleashed a spectacular 25-yarder past Bindon and then Marta got her second of the match with a low drive inside the near post as Brazil recorded their second highest victory in the FIFA Women's World Cup. Brazil are next in action against hosts China on Saturday, when New Zealand will look to register their first points against Denmark.

Player of the Match: Cristiane

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 06:19:03 AM »
Aussies break duck in style
http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/matches/round=248549/match=56325/summary.html

Australia 4 - Ghana 1

Australia's long wait for a FIFA Women's World Cup win came to an end in Hangzhou as Kate Walsh, Lisa De Vanna (2) and Heather Garriock fired Tom Sermanni's side to an emphatic 4-1 win over Ghana.

The Matildas had gone nine matches without tasting victory prior to this engaging encounter but ended that miserable sequence in style, racing into a three-goal lead with Walsh, De Vanna and Garriock striking on 15, 57 and 69 minutes respectively. Substitute De Vanna sealed the win with nine minutes remaining after Anita Amankwa had briefly reduced the deficit.

Ghana's Black Queens had taken points from Australia in 1999 and 2003 but they struggled to subdue the pacy Walsh and it was after two earlier near misses that the 24-year-old broke the deadlock, firing left-footed off the inside of the post.

Walsh then teed up half-time substitute De Vanna to double Australia's lead 11 minutes after the restart when she could have been forgiven had she gone for goal herself. The outcome looked settled when Heather Garriock headed home the pick of Australia's goals but Ghana broke forward straight from the kick-off, Amankwa taking advantage of some defensive hesitancy to fire into the top corner.

However, it was to prove a mere consolation, with Player of the Match Collette McCallum threading through one of several delightful defence-splitting passes for the lively De Vanna to complete the scoring.

Player of the Match: Collette McCallum

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 06:27:07 AM »
I didn't watch much of the Brazil game. New Zealand wasn't really putting up a fight. The Australia-Ghana game was odd. Ghana look small and slow (well they run like girls :p) but they had a decent knock, slow pace though.  The keeper let in a couple soft goals. At 2-0 it looked like Ghana woke up and decided to play, or at least to push forward. The Australia scored. then Ghana scored immediately after the kickoff, and it was pretty entertaining after that, Ghana kept getting broken down on the counter-attack.

I don't know about the Ghana lineup. Their best goal scorer came in as a sub and scored the only goal.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 06:53:11 AM »

men play the game with more physical intensitiy and in general appear to will launch into headers with what looks like less trepidation than women....But young boys learning the game also have the bad habit of taking their eyse away from the ball to early when heading and either bracing or hitting the ball with the wrong part of their head. It's one of the first habits that needs broken for both sexes. These female pros play pretty brave...and they are generally not afraid to fly in. Men and women close their eyes immediately after making a powerful headers when in close contact with anther persons head. It's instinctive. Bakes is right...if you look a fellas from Cannavaro to Shearer...they will always close their eyes after launching into a powerful header with another player in the immediate vicinity. In the end the secret is not keeping your eyes open...it's keeping them open long enough to get the right contact. When in open space or executing a cushioned header it's easier to keep eyes open

ZIDANE of course, has the perfect technique

You think I have time with some ah deez facking imps?  steups.

It baffles me when men want to argue the obvious.  I understand why coaches would want to untrain what they perceive as a bad habit.  Just like yuh mother would tell yuh cool off from playing in de hot sun before yuh run infront de fridge fuh ice water.  Medically it makes no facking sense...you could come straight out ah sauna and go grab something from de fridge...yuh won't catch pneumonia.

Similarly, coaches want the yutes to focus on the ball and on the target...and they believe that you can't do so with your eyes close.  It's a good practice to try and coach kids away from, but at the end of the day it's instinctive.  I say that it's not a deficiency because your eyes are only closed for a millisecond.  They remain open long enough right before and immediately after impact for you to focus on ball and target.

Now man want to know if I ever kick ball.  Socawarriors dot facking net is de greatest yes.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 06:58:07 AM »
lord korea give USA  run for dey money  :o WTF, Korea dpr looking good (Not d women eh)  :devil: , Germany lookin d best so far
Again I only saw the first half...but that was one of the more entertaining halves of women's soccer I've had the pleasure of seeing.  I'm anxious to see England and Japan in action as well...from the highlights, I like England's skill on the ball.  Japan has a certain flair (dat Japfro take win this worl' cup sah, lol) and love the power and technique on display on both those free kicks that scored.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 07:18:59 AM »
This China-Denmark game is entertaining as hell (it does help that the crowd is large and noisy)
The colour commentators on ESPN are worthless though, Not really adding much to the game, as always discussing matters not related to the game at hand. China playing Denmark in an exciting back and forth game and you talking about if Hope Solo loss she confidence. Tell me something I don't know about China or Denmark.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2007, 07:44:36 AM »
This China-Denmark game is entertaining as hell (it does help that the crowd is large and noisy)
The colour commentators on ESPN are worthless though, Not really adding much to the game, as always discussing matters not related to the game at hand. China playing Denmark in an exciting back and forth game and you talking about if Hope Solo loss she confidence. Tell me something I don't know about China or Denmark.
\
 i takin it in on sopcast...i enjoying chung and dem commentry much more  :D

2-2 now....real attacking football..  nice...man..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 07:46:15 AM by Organic »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 07:47:48 AM »
OH MY WORD...
3-2 CHINA WHAT AH BULLET CHEST TRAP AND BOOM..LOL v's
all we pfl teams go get licks any day...lol even we goal cup tea m coudl get ha cut ass..lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2007, 07:52:15 AM »
OH MY WORD...
3-2 CHINA WHAT AH BULLET CHEST TRAP AND BOOM..LOL v's
all we pfl teams go get licks any day...lol even we goal cup tea m coudl get ha cut ass..lol

What a flikin game. 3-2 China. Why the coaches arguing after the game?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 08:13:37 AM »
Again I only saw the first half...but that was one of the more entertaining halves of women's soccer I've had the pleasure of seeing.  I'm anxious to see England and Japan in action as well...from the highlights, I like England's skill on the ball.  Japan has a certain flair (dat Japfro take win this worl' cup sah, lol) and love the power and technique on display on both those free kicks that scored.

I think England might be an underrated entity in Women's ball. I've watched English women's FA finals b4, and though not all the players are English, the standard wasn't that bad- I can only imagine that the bulk of the English teams plays in that league- and if not in a better league.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 09:37:09 AM »
My observation with women is that they usually have problems heading the ball,my take is that it's a bit mental because women are sensitive towards their faces,if you look at some of these women how they fix their faces to play Football,you know they eh want no ball touch that,i work with little girls and it's difficult teaching them to head the ball,they always closing their eyes it's the first habit you have to break.

If you notice i never mention anything about men,being someone that deals with women/girls Soccer players i just tried to share one of my observation with you all,i'm not saying that is the reason but i'm sure it's one off,i don't understand your logic when you say "when heading the ball with your eyes close you can still see what you are doing" a lot of things that happen in the game are not deficiencies.

1]; } ?>