April 24, 2024, 10:13:05 PM

Author Topic: England National Team going back in time  (Read 7506 times)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: England National Team going back in time
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 07:52:12 PM »
yuh know i never see Heskey play as a striker for England?
i kinda remember him as one of them players they did keep trying out on the left wing and he was actually useful by pulling the defence out to mark him..correct me if ah wrong.

anyway if they coulda call up Ameobi, Ashton, Nugent or even Zamora if they was that desperate.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »
england cyah win one arse..if england enter the EPL still cyah beat manu, arsenal, chelsea and liverpool

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 03:31:20 PM »
from all accounts Heskey had a real good game today..

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »
ENGLAND ARE SMILES BETTER

By Frank Malley, PA Chief Sports Writer
http://www.sportinglife.com/fanzine/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/09/08/SOCCER_England_Comment.html#

Steve McClaren scribbled away furiously on the touchline.

And for once in his troubled reign we did not need to speculate that it was a note of resignation.

Instead, as England beat Israel 3-0 to aid their chances of qualifying for Euro 2008 the drums were beating and Wembley rocked to the sound of euphoria.

Appreciation for a job well done. And what a relief that is to report.

Give McClaren his due. All week he had promised that England, even this patched-up version swirling with pain-killers and missing key personnel, would "deliver".

And so they did, at times brilliantly. Which is why McClaren's scribblings should have been filled with so many ticks and positives.

For such as Joe Cole who proved what a dangerous twister and turner he can be when his head is screwed on the right way.

For Shaun Wright-Phillips who supplied the all-important first goal with a volleyed finish which put another man-of-the-match garnish on the sublime 20-minutes he produced against Germany.

For Michael Owen, whose swivel and thunderous shot for England's second announced that England once more possess a striker capable of shaking the world. And Micah Richards, who headed the third. And Steven Gerrard and... well, just about anyone in a white shirt.

And that includes Emile Heskey. Yes, Heskey.

Up front Heskey gave England a pleasing balance. And that is a sentence I never thought I would write.

But it was true. He held up the ball, won crucial headers, supplied vital flicks, provided a target, a wall if you like for England's midfielders to hit in the knowledge that the ball would not be handed immediately to a man in an opposition shirt.

And for that McClaren has to be given credit.

After all, Heskey had not played since Euro 2004 against France. He had been cast into the international wilderness to ply his trade at Birmingham and Wigan, destined it seemed to be remembered for a career of serial underachievement.

His recall, with Peter Crouch suspended and Wayne Rooney injured, was not just a rational flash of inspiration by McClaren. It was brave.

Heskey is never going to score lots of goals and a more natural goal-scorer would have buried the chance which came to him, courtesy of a roll-back by Owen, after 10 minutes.

But the fact is that for the first time in some while there was intelligent movement and a physical presence in the opposing penalty box.

No wonder Owen looked close to his best. And no wonder Heskey received arguably the biggest cheer of the evening when he was replaced after 70 minutes by Andrew Johnson.

A word of warning.

This was Israel, a nation with a population the size of London and a football team who languish at 33 in the world rankings.

True, they have forged something of a reputation for being tough to beat back in Tel Aviv.

But at Wembley, the home of football, they looked anything but at home.

Even allowing for Liverpool's Yossi Benayoun and Chelsea's Tal Ben Haim they were a team lacking in ideas and seemingly devoid of desire. Put it this way, on this showing they might struggle in the Coca-Cola Championship.

Undoubtedly, Russia on Wednesday will present a more stubborn test.

But so often sport is about momentum and as the Mexican Wave trundled around Wembley to denote this game had been well and truly won long before the final whistle blew the force was with England.

Belief rippled around the stands, conviction oozed from the players and McClaren wore that toothpaste-commercial smile.

England once more looked a football team. Finish the job on Wednesday and that truly is something to smile about.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 04:12:41 AM »
After all de ole talk, Hesky may be the deciding factor... sometimes we jus look at a player simple simple but we need to look at the opposition's defense and select players whose attributes will be most effective agains said defense...

sometimes is just best to wait and see and be happy for a player instead ah all the ole talk.. but ah guess dais wah de forum for.. Ah still backing England.. long live de Queen!

Looks like College got it right. Heskey was superb.  However, in a different game against a different team, it wouldn't work. This is the true test of a manager. Select a team that exposes the opposition weakness. Many teams are one dimensional. England have many options. We just need the manager to select correctly. Even Sven got it wrong sometimes. Maybe if England was short of players they would play the same team and same formation every match. This would be succesful short term, but every man and his dog would know how to beat us.

I don't think Wright-Phillips and Heskey will do as well against Russia. Think there will be less chances and more negetivity as each team cancels the other out. Russia will want a draw, England must win and draw in Russia. Without doubt, Micah Richards will be there every match he is fit for the next 10 years.

One interesting point. Can anybody name a current international squad that contains players only playing in their home league.....like England?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 06:59:32 AM »
One interesting point. Can anybody name a current international squad that contains players only playing in their home league.....like England?

TNT  >:(

No seriously, the usual culprits are Mexico, Spain, Italy and Saudi Arabia. Right now,Mexico have a few Euro players, including Marquez, and Spain has the whole Liverpool/Arsenal contingent but I think Italy and Saudi Arabia remain good contrasting examples

1 of quality players who choose to remain in their own excellent league and one of less than quality players who (apparently) cannot make it outside of their own mediocre league, which pays well and is close to home

Until recently, Mexico represented the case of an intermediairy example, (relatively) excellent players who chose not to go outside of their (relatively) mediocre league for financial and cultural reasons.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 07:59:54 AM »

No seriously, the usual culprits are Mexico, Spain, Italy and Saudi Arabia. Right now,Mexico have a few Euro players, including Marquez, and Spain has the whole Liverpool/Arsenal contingent but I think Italy and Saudi Arabia remain good contrasting examples

1 of quality players who choose to remain in their own excellent league and one of less than quality players who (apparently) cannot make it outside of their own mediocre league, which pays well and is close to home

Until recently, Mexico represented the case of an intermediairy example, (relatively) excellent players who chose not to go outside of their (relatively) mediocre league for financial and cultural reasons.
Italy has several regulars in Spain now. Can't say for Saudi Arabia.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 08:07:01 AM »
...but I think Italy and Saudi Arabia remain good contrasting examples...
Dey starting tuh leave Italy.

Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid)
Gianluca Zambrotta (Barcelona)
Christian Abbiati (Atletico Madrid)
Luca Toni (Bayern Munich)
Fabio Grosso (Lyon)
Cristiano Lucarelli (Shakhtar Donetsk)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 10:55:26 AM »

Italy has several regulars in Spain now. Can't say for Saudi Arabia.

To answer the first question..England's national team is not made up only of players in England. David Beckham plays in the MLS  ;D

I wouldn't call 2 starters (Cannavaro and Zambrotta)..several regulars. And I think it's safe to say they're only in Spain because of the Juve fiasco. Other then those two there are a few in Spain...like De Sanctis and Enzo Maresca at Sevilla and Rossi at Villareal, but non of thses are national team regulars.. Italians have been moving abroad for some time now. i remember the 'English invasion' when fellas like Vialli, Zola and Di Matteo were are at Chelsea. Both Di Matteo and Zola were in the national team at that time. Then you have fellas like Casiraghi, Lombardo, Ravanelli, Padavano and others who came after. But even before them, you had Marco Simone lighting it up in France. But all in all the Italian squad is predominantly based in Italy with 2 starters in Spain, 1 in Germany (Loca Toni) and a few benchwarmers here and there. Still..it's seems like a lot if you go back as recently as WC 2006.

Spain is more or less the same..only Xavi Alonso, Fernando Torres and Fabregas are regulars who play outside of Spain. I'd also include Pepe Reina who is regulalry on the bench. But in today's global game..you'd have to count teams like Spain and Italy as having predominantly 'local-based' national teams
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:57:23 AM by Filho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 01:26:23 PM »
i just have eat my words and give Steve McLaren his credit where credit is due...

When he call back old man Heskey, the majority of us questioned the decision and heap scorn on him.  Heskey was excellent in both games and proved that the bold call-up was a stroke of genius..

so kudos to mclaren..

i wonder if heskey go keep he place when rooney recover?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 02:55:55 PM »
i just have eat my words and give Steve McLaren his credit where credit is due...

When he call back old man Heskey, the majority of us questioned the decision and heap scorn on him.  Heskey was excellent in both games and proved that the bold call-up was a stroke of genius..

so kudos to mclaren..

i wonder if heskey go keep he place when rooney recover?

I doubt anything keeping Rooney out of the side once he is 'fit'. Even if his form is mediocre.
I'm glad Heskey did well but I ahve to admit I'm surprised he got to play so much. I thought he might be a sub or something.

He looks like he will keep his spot in the side.

1]; } ?>