April 23, 2024, 11:47:53 AM

Author Topic: For all de Hesky Haters  (Read 2324 times)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
For all de Hesky Haters
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:10:07 AM »
Football: England revival leaves Rooney battling for place in team

목요일 9월 13, 2007
by Steve Griffiths

LONDON (AFP) - John Terry believes England's impressive understudies have shown nobody can take their place in Steve McClaren's side for granted, not even Wayne Rooney.

With David Beckham, Rooney, Frank Lampard and Gary Neville sidelined through injury, McClaren turned to a group of players who might lack the star quality of those names, but more than made up for that with their desire to impress.

Gareth Barry, Emile Heskey, Micah Richards and Shaun Wright-Phillips all played key roles as England kick-started their spluttering Euro 2008 qualifying campaign with wins over Israel and Russia.

McClaren will be hard-pressed to find a place for any of his quartet of absent stars in next month's matches against Estonia and the Russians.

England captain Terry was stretching a point when he claimed even he can't afford to let his standards slip as competition for places hots up.

But the message was clear. McClaren has finally got his players battling to stay in the side and the result has been two much improved performances that took England into second in Group E.

"No-one's guaranteed a place now," Terry said. "Everybody feels it. I really feel I've got to go back to Chelsea now and perform at my highest because there's players like Wes Brown, Joleon Lescott and Michael Dawson in the squad.

"They're players wanting my place. We've got to maintain our level of performance week in, week out, when we're away with England, training every day and in the games.

"Everybody coming into the squad really wanted to fight for their place, especially Gareth Barry, Shaun Wright-Phillips. It's great to see and we've got that throughout the squad.

"Players who aren't on the bench are determined to work harder on the next trip and make the starting line-up. That's the determination we've got throughout the squad.

"We've done very well but we've got some key players coming back. That's a decision for the manager to make.

"We've got a lot of Premiership games coming up but hopefully everybody will stay fit and give the manager a difficult decision to make."

Such was the force of Heskey's impact alongside Owen that McClaren now faces an previously unthinkable dilemma. Could he leave out Manchester United star Rooney for Heskey?

If he does opt to keep faith with the muscular Wigan striker, few would complain.

Certainly not Terry, who appreciated how well the front two combined as Heskey's physical presence helped Owen score three times in the two qualifiers.

"Emile's been different class," he said. "You find yourself on the pitch when he holds the ball up saying 'fantastic Emile, fantastic'.
"All through the game and in the last game as well, he was different class, and the partnership he struck up with Michael has been fantastic.

"Michael's always showed he has that cutting edge. Whenever you get chances you can't wish them to fall to anyone else than Michael Owen. He's such a great finisher and works so hard."

While Owen and Heskey dominated at one end of the pitch, England goalkeeper Paul Robinson was enjoying his eighth cleansheet in nine Euro qualifiers at the other.

Robinson's place was in jeopardy after his mistake against Germany last month, but McClaren stuck by him and the Spurs star is repaying that faith.

"A week's a long time in football and to be stood here now with two clean sheets under my belt is pleasing," Robinson said.

"I feel slightly different from the way I did three weeks ago. But as quickly as it turns one way it can turn the other way. I'm not going to take anything for granted.

"The manager's been excellent. He's been very strong. He's got his ideas and he's picked a winning team that's played well as well. You've got to give him credit."

On a side note... If Hesky's ability is to hold up de ball and be a physical presence up front (like Stern John)then who is our Michael Owen.
Yuh cya play a hold up man unless yuh have a finisher alongside him or else you will have limited goals hence de T&T setup.  So maybe Stern still has a place in de form of a (Emile Hesky) but we need a fella like Scotty now to finish dem off or we wasting time. Stern cya play no lone striker and by de way... Kenwayne hot on stern heels for dat Hesky role bringing a little more mobility as well. De forward line look in good shape if de right coach can use de right players de right way. (providing he have dem in de first place).

Imagine Shrek gettin bench alongside lampard... lard have his mercy.  Dat is what we talkin bout. Obviously Shrek have more depth than Owen and all round is a better player but Owen is a scoring machine and when he gets in his element he go kill somebody.

Beenieman coulda well run Latas next to stern in de final quarter of any game and change de ting a little bit.

Warren N. Boucaud

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: For all de Hesky Haters
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 06:18:37 AM »
now yuh see dis is what ah cyah take with England, their players, their press and their fans eh..

They so quick to jump on a wagon and ride it for everything it is (and is not), without giving proper rational thought and judgement...

Anytime dey see a glimmer of sunshine, they quick to pour on de plaudits...

if is not, "press HAILS heskey", is "McLaren LAUDS Owen"...

If is not, "Barry WAS DIFFERENT CLASS", is "McLaren IS THE BEST COACH OF OUR GENERATION".

If is not, "Terry WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD", is "Wright-Phillips SHOWED WHY HE'S THE BEST RIGHT SIDED PLAYER IN EUROPE"

or some other shit to that effect...

Rewind to last year when they try Ledley King in midfield against some unfancied opposition... The whole press was gloating bout how he is the answer to the defensive midfield crisis, drop lampard or gerrard etc etc.. Well it only took 45 mins of Riquelme and the rest of the Argentina midfield to expose that hype for what it was..

Oh gorm man England, take it down and think logically for a minute nuh man... I would say keep Heskey in the side over crouch but keep rooney out of the team?? Give me a break eh..

This kinda wild and unfounded optimism and hype is the main reason for their downfall cause they does make their athletes feel they better than they really are until they come up against some good competition..

Look how long Henman supposed to win a Wimbledon.. With Henman Hill and all that unnecessary hype, all that pressure on de poor fellah, people actually start to believe he was good.. check all their sports, the cricket side, the athletes, the rugby side etc, is the same thing all around...

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:04:51 AM »
now yuh see dis is what ah cyah take with England, their players, their press and their fans eh..

They so quick to jump on a wagon and ride it for everything it is (and is not), without giving proper rational thought and judgement...

If is not, "Barry WAS DIFFERENT CLASS", is "McLaren IS THE BEST COACH OF OUR GENERATION".

If is not, "Terry WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD", is "Wright-Phillips SHOWED WHY HE'S THE BEST RIGHT SIDED PLAYER IN EUROPE"

Rewind to last year when they try Ledley King in midfield against some unfancied opposition... The whole press was gloating bout how he is the answer to the defensive midfield crisis, drop lampard or gerrard etc etc.. Well it only took 45 mins of Riquelme and the rest of the Argentina midfield to expose that hype for what it was..

Oh gorm man England, take it down and think logically for a minute nuh man... I would say keep Heskey in the side over crouch but keep rooney out of the team?? Give me a break eh..

This kinda wild and unfounded optimism and hype is the main reason for their downfall cause they does make their athletes feel they better than they really are until they come up against some good competition..

Look how long Henman supposed to win a Wimbledon.. With Henman Hill and all that unnecessary hype, all that pressure on de poor fellah, people actually start to believe he was good.. check all their sports, the cricket side, the athletes, the rugby side etc, is the same thing all around...

which country doh big up their own players?

wasn't just last year that men was calling for Spann and Whitley to get pick up by a big club like Man Utd? eh?  :wavetowel:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:39 AM »

which country doh big up their own players?

wasn't just last year that men was calling for Spann and Whitley to get pick up by a big club like Man Utd? eh?  :wavetowel:

True but not to the level of that English press nuh..

When Owen score against Argentina, yuh woulda swear Jesus come down a second time based on the reaction from that even though they didnt win anything.. Lets also not forget after the first round of the last Euro Championships, they say Rooney was better than Pele at the same age...

Dey get level licks in de Ashes for donkey years, and scrape through to win one against Australia at home, and all of a sudden, that side was the best generation of cricketers for however long.. We all know what happen after that..

I eh have no problem with bigging up your own, but i think they does carry it so far, that their sportsmen does end up resting on their laurels because they do one good thing and feel they make it... They too quick to "laud" and "hail" before man pay their dues, and i feel that is why they cant go nowhere in no sport...

Support your own yes, but dem does take de bling patriotism to a whole next level...

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »
As a Liverpool fan, I will say that I doh miss Heskey.  He had a good couple of games for the natonal team, but give me Kuyt over Heskey any day.  They are both work horses, but Kuyt has more quality.  It's good to see him having a little revival, but he could hold he corner at Wigan. ;D

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 09:45:44 PM »
As a Liverpool fan, I will say that I doh miss Heskey.  He had a good couple of games for the natonal team, but give me Kuyt over Heskey any day.  They are both work horses, but Kuyt has more quality.  It's good to see him having a little revival, but he could hold he corner at Wigan. ;D

but ah think de point here is dat Hesky is really playing assistant to owen. Obviously he can knock dem in as well but he does what no other (so far) combo can do which is to hold up de ball and provide owen time and space and allow midfield to advance.
Of course I agree dat England toottin dey trumpet at de first sign of good news however I am fancying de Style of play and combo and likening it to de T&T set up since we like to play de hold up striker bit as well. I.E. Stern John. Maybe its a blessing in disguise but maybe we could give Stern some one else to make dem runs and he feed, turn and poach as he likes to do. Playing him as de lone striker or alongside another holdup man might not be de most effective way to use Stern but maybe using him more like de Hesky / Owen combo might be a better deal. De boy has been known to make a good pass or 2 and if yuh sleep on him he will also net dem.  Den we need another combo of Kenwayne and Roberts doing de same ting when Stern and Scotty get tired.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 04:50:16 AM »

but ah think de point here is dat Hesky is really playing assistant to owen. Obviously he can knock dem in as well but he does what no other (so far) combo can do which is to hold up de ball and provide owen time and space and allow midfield to advance.
Of course I agree dat England toottin dey trumpet at de first sign of good news however I am fancying de Style of play and combo and likening it to de T&T set up since we like to play de hold up striker bit as well. I.E. Stern John. Maybe its a blessing in disguise but maybe we could give Stern some one else to make dem runs and he feed, turn and poach as he likes to do. Playing him as de lone striker or alongside another holdup man might not be de most effective way to use Stern but maybe using him more like de Hesky / Owen combo might be a better deal. De boy has been known to make a good pass or 2 and if yuh sleep on him he will also net dem.  Den we need another combo of Kenwayne and Roberts doing de same ting when Stern and Scotty get tired.
yeah but Crouch could do that and more
yuh feel heskey woulda get picked for that squad if Crouch wasn't suspended for the Israel game?
McClaren pull off a big fluke as I see it..plus somehow he get the Barry in centre midfield right.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 07:09:39 AM »

yeah but Crouch could do that and more
yuh feel heskey woulda get picked for that squad if Crouch wasn't suspended for the Israel game?
McClaren pull off a big fluke as I see it..plus somehow he get the Barry in centre midfield right.
ah eh know if crouch coulda do that. Crouch do have de physical presence (a little) but he is a 6 yd poacher ad does his best work in de box. Hesky has never been a box man and seem to need more space to play.. (sign of a less talented player possible) but it workin for him in dis case ah feel.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 06:00:12 PM »
i guess Rooney could stop sweating on he place then..

Heskey set to miss next six weeks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/6997706.stm

Wigan striker Emile Heskey has suffered a broken metatarsal and is a major doubt for England's two crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers in Ocotber.

England play Estonia on 13 October and Russia in Moscow four days later - but Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said: "It is not serious but it is still six weeks."

Heskey sustained the injury after nine minutes of Wigan's game against Fulham and a scan confirmed the injury.

"It is such bad luck - bad for Wigan, bad for England," added Whelan.

"I think he will definitely miss the first England game.

"It is bad luck, we are all aware of that. We were shocked on Saturday. He just jumped up in the air and came down on his ankle."

Heskey was recalled to England coach Steve McClaren's squad for the recent qualifiers against Israel and Russia - ending three years in the international wilderness.

The 29-year-old striker played in both games and was extremely impressive on his return to England duty alongside Michael Owen.

But the injury now casts major doubt on whether he will be fit for the international fixtures in mid-October, games that will have a major impact on whether England qualify for next summer's finals in Austria and Switzerland.

Heskey thought he had done enough to keep his place in the England team for the matches in October, telling the BBC's Football Focus: "It's difficult, but I feel I've done enough to deserve to start."

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 04:48:36 AM »
i guess Rooney could stop sweating on he place then..

Heskey set to miss next six weeks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/6997706.stm

Wigan striker Emile Heskey has suffered a broken metatarsal and is a major doubt for England's two crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers in Ocotber.

England play Estonia on 13 October and Russia in Moscow four days later - but Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said: "It is not serious but it is still six weeks."

Heskey sustained the injury after nine minutes of Wigan's game against Fulham and a scan confirmed the injury.

"It is such bad luck - bad for Wigan, bad for England," added Whelan.

"I think he will definitely miss the first England game.

"It is bad luck, we are all aware of that. We were shocked on Saturday. He just jumped up in the air and came down on his ankle."

Heskey was recalled to England coach Steve McClaren's squad for the recent qualifiers against Israel and Russia - ending three years in the international wilderness.

The 29-year-old striker played in both games and was extremely impressive on his return to England duty alongside Michael Owen.

But the injury now casts major doubt on whether he will be fit for the international fixtures in mid-October, games that will have a major impact on whether England qualify for next summer's finals in Austria and Switzerland.

Heskey thought he had done enough to keep his place in the England team for the matches in October, telling the BBC's Football Focus: "It's difficult, but I feel I've done enough to deserve to start."

And as de world of football turns...Eh.  Ah feel yuh right rooney get better just in time because big or small Crouch cya start in front of Rooney at all.
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>