April 30, 2024, 11:57:18 PM

Author Topic: Cats legend: Jones is our Rooney.  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Cats legend: Jones is our Rooney.
« on: September 19, 2007, 10:27:57 AM »
Cats legend: Jones is our Rooney.
By: Sunderland Echo.
[/size]

Kenwyne Jones' home debut had Gary Rowell drooling...

Sunderland hero Gary Rowell believes Kenwyne Jones is a class act, comparing him with Manchester United ace Wayne Rooney. Writing in his column for the Echo rowell said: "Kenwyne Jones had as good a home debut as I've seen in a long time and the signs are that he's going to offer us something a bit special.
"Saturday was the first time that the vast majority of our fans will have seen him play and they'll have gone away enthusing about him. He scored one, set up the other and was a handful throughout.
"There's no doubt that he brings a physical presence up front that we've been lacking but what struck me about him was not so much his size as his skill.
"The goal he scored had nothing to do with his size, it was all about technique and if a Rooney had spun on the area to wrongfoot his defender before shooting past the keeper with his 'wrong foot' everyone would be drooling about it.
"Jones was outstanding and it's right that he gets the plaudits. But the other home debutant, Danny Higginbotham, also had an excellent game.
"And due recognition should be given to Danny Collins who never seems to get the credit he deserves for his good games but who really helped hold things together defensively in the closing stages with some crucial challenges, ended Rowell."
Meanwhile, Jones's former manager at Southampton, George Burley, once described him as "another Didier Drogba in the making" and the imposing Trinidadian revelled in showing precisely why Roy Keane paid £6m for him last month. He duly used his impressive physique to conjure the space in which to turn Ivar Ingimarsson and shoot low, hard and left footed beyond Marcus Hahnemann from 22 yards after initially controlling Grant Leadbitter's pass with the outside of his right boot.
"As good a home debut as I've seen," said the Sunderland manager, who also saw Jones's cross create Sunderland's second goal for Ross Wallace. "Kenwyne's big and strong, his footwork is underestimated and Reading couldn't handle him." Five years ago Sunderland's manager, a believer in destiny, barely registered Jones when the forward arrived at Manchester United from the Caribbean on a short trial, during which he asked to have his photograph taken standing alongside United's then captain.
"He was typical Roy Keane, composed, no conversation, didn't smile and moved straight off afterwards," recalled Jones who framed the photograph. "I'm just so happy my cycle has come full circle and I'm here today playing for him."

Man of the match: Kenwyne Jones: - Bullied Reading into submission. He often appeared unplayable on a day when he was not only aerially dominant but showed some nifty footwork.

Best moment: - The amalgam of strength, technique, precision and power which saw him swivel clear of his marker and find the bottom corner with a 22-yard shot.
Gordon: Kenwyne is frightening.
By: Nick Alexander (Safc.com).
[/size]

Craig Gordon believes that Kenwyne Jones' pace and power will prove invaluable for the club this season. Jones - like Gordon - has started his Sunderland career well and scored on his home debut against Reading on Saturday. It was a performance to remember and Sunderland's keeper is
looking forward to seeing his team-mate, a 6m pound buy from Southampton, in derby action against Middlesbrough on Saturday. Gordon said: "Kenwyne put on a great show. He gives us something different, he's a big lad and when you have that you've always got more options. He adds a lot to the team and he scored a great goal. I think he will scare teams."
Sunderland go into Saturday's Tees-Wear derby in good heart after their 2-1 win over Reading.
"We take a lot of encouragement from the performance and result," added Gordon. "It is going to be a happy place this week. Hopefully we can build on the Reading result."
"We have had some positive performances this season even though the results have not always gone right - like against Liverpool and Manchester United."
"We have showed that we can win games at home and we need to do it away from home now. We're all looking forward to the Middlesbrough game."
Kenwyne: I'm a flipping genius.
By: TEAMtalk.
[/size]

Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones has revealed his spectacular goal celebration has "become natural" to him. Black Cats fans witnessed his traditional back-flip celebration after he opened the scoring in Saturday's 2-1 Premier League win over Reading and the £6million signing from Southampton hopes it will be the first of many. He told the club's official website: "I've been doing that for 15 years, so it's become natural. "I've never hurt myself, even when I used to do it in the front yard at home. "Hopefully I will be doing a few more this season."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:40:05 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Cats legend: Jones is our Rooney.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
Lawd.  Like is a genetic disorder or sumting dese English people have.  Talk bout over hype!  After 2 fleckin games!!  No wonder dem does be so heartbroken whey dey national team does colleck licks tournament after tournament.  Dey REALLY feel dem is de bess.  :o ::)

Dat said....have to gi dem dey props.  Dey REAL passionate bout dey football.  Probably like no other nation on de planet.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:10:58 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »
 :-\

and here it is i thought we was going overboard...

here come the english with their premature LAUD, HAIL and HEAP PRAISE...

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »
The man has only played two games for Sunderland and he somehow is Rooney. If Jones doesnot pan out they will start saying the man is rubbish.
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:46:08 AM »
lol  comparing jones to Rooney    das like comparing pot roast to fillet mignon

give me a break

Good luck jones boy but you not even near...yet

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 10:55:15 AM »
Okay...so I guess I don't have to say it.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 11:01:42 AM »
Nice to see Jones doing well and recieving praise.

But acclaim is a two edged sword, where you find that you also find criticism. I'm sure he understands that the intensity of the criticism will be just as strong, if not stronger, in those times he suffers a lack of form. Remember when Beenie commented that even Jones does not know how good he is? He should have many good years in the EPL and hopefully a few in CL.  :beermug:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »

give me a break

I think jones is the whole cow,now that he's grazing on greener grass..... ;D

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »
I think he has the potential to be better than rooney. i think he will suprise a lot of us.         positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 11:56:24 AM »
I now see why we does get so hype is from the Mother Country. My lord what an over exaggeration and next game they go cuss him just like we does cuss we peeps. Blame d queen why we so
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »
I agree with over-hypinh him after just two games, but what theyre saying is true! and hopefully it turns out that way  :beermug:
Hart for president

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 02:03:39 PM »
Now I not saying that Rooney aint good but why is it so far fetched for us to think that Jones can become better than Rooney....in terms of pure athleticism Jones have that ......Dwight destroy europe in 1999 latas destroying them from birth ...carlos was arguably one of the best wingers in the world cup....so why is it inconceivable for this trini to be a "killah"?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »
All who talking bout hype must be doh live in the US. Dis lil ting? Allyuh never really see hype.

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 02:53:13 PM »
lol comparing jones to Rooney das like comparing pot roast to fillet mignon

give me a break

Small Mag...  Ah know yuh like yuh Man U, but de only ting Rooney have over Jones is he nationality.  De tall boy stronger, just as quick and still is developing.  Rooney done peak.  It aint have no level of football dat could carry him higher.  He start in de premiership and now doh expect nutting more from him.  HOWEVER, de Jones boy go show up jes like Yorkie in he splint.  And careful, Alex wha spend out he money on him next season and start him infront ah Rooney.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 02:55:07 PM »
And careful, Alex wha spend out he money on him next season and start him infront ah Rooney.
oh gawd, ya bad eh
ya go make people froth wid dat one :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 11:19:04 PM »

give me a break

I cah agree with u there. Especially cause I doubt u eat either pot roast or fillet mignon in Trinidad !

Every coach who ever see Jones play said has drooled at his potential and Beenhaaker said it best ''he can be as good as he wants to be''. Kenwyne have strength, speed, skill, both feet, a bullet and he goes one better on Rooney cause he has height to go with his size. Plue he can play up front on his own, unlike Rooney.

With that said...they can be compared in my opinion. Even if Rooney might still be better, Kenwyne only disadvantage is cause he from Trinidad.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 06:43:20 AM »

give me a break

I cah agree with u there. Especially cause I doubt u eat either pot roast or fillet mignon in Trinidad !

Every coach who ever see Jones play said has drooled at his potential and Beenhaaker said it best ''he can be as good as he wants to be''. Kenwyne have strength, speed, skill, both feet, a bullet and he goes one better on Rooney cause he has height to go with his size. Plue he can play up front on his own, unlike Rooney.

With that said...they can be compared in my opinion. Even if Rooney might still be better, Kenwyne only disadvantage is cause he from Trinidad.
Spidee,
Like yuh mirror my same sentiments.  Dey almost make me feel I was a mad man.  But you have plenty stars next to yuh name...so dey go believe you.  I jes waiting for a man with green stars to come out ah de closet and let dem know what we saying is true

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 07:20:15 AM »
Saying Jones is our Rooney doesn't mean that Kenwyne is as good as Rooney or that he'll be as good as Rooney. It just means that they expect Jones to play as important a role for Sunderland as Rooney plays for Man U or England etc.....something like "Kenwyne is to Sunderland what Rooney is to Man U."

Based on the qualities that Kenwyne showed in his debut, the writer feels that he can be a Rooney-esque striker. The man is a Sunderland legend & fan and he's excited, he's writing a column primarily aimed at the Sunderland faithful so there will be an element of hype, but from what I've read, he's not saying anything too outrageous- allyuh just fraid goat mouth.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 07:22:45 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 09:21:13 AM »
Spidee,
Like yuh mirror my same sentiments.  Dey almost make me feel I was a mad man.  But you have plenty stars next to yuh name...so dey go believe you.  I jes waiting for a man with green stars to come out ah de closet and let dem know what we saying is true

Oh Lord....when somebody who rating Denzil Theobald to be the missing link in Sunderland midfield agrees with me, then I know I in trouble !  :devil: :'( :rotfl:
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 10:15:04 AM »
Personally I find comparing to Rooney is insulting. That mean he could be the next over hype bruiser in the EPL. I expect better than that from him.   ;D Ah waiting on responses.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »
Saying Jones is our Rooney doesn't mean that Kenwyne is as good as Rooney or that he'll be as good as Rooney. It just means that they expect Jones to play as important a role for Sunderland as Rooney plays for Man U or England etc.....something like "Kenwyne is to Sunderland what Rooney is to Man U."

Based on the qualities that Kenwyne showed in his debut, the writer feels that he can be a Rooney-esque striker. The man is a Sunderland legend & fan and he's excited, he's writing a column primarily aimed at the Sunderland faithful so there will be an element of hype, but from what I've read, he's not saying anything too outrageous- allyuh just fraid goat mouth.
It would be a great thing for him to steadly increase his contribution to Sunderland to the point where he also become a Legend.
But I think the part in bold is de reason, eh Kicker. ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 11:42:39 AM »
Jones is our Jones..outside with Rooney  ;D

1]; } ?>