March 28, 2024, 10:10:06 AM

Author Topic: Joel Rahim TnT left back from late 70's ..early 80's  (Read 10998 times)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Joel Rahim TnT left back from late 70's ..early 80's
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:03:11 PM »
people...not sure how many of you know of Joel Rahim...

He, was for me an outstanding football player and again in my opinion ,the the last top left back for TnT....

no disrepect to Avery John, Faustin and others...

He went to Mod Sec in south and saw the school to the best years they ever had in the old CFL...

I saw many good games he had for TnT and he was  once offered a Pro contract to play with Transavaal ( Suriname)...could have been his window to Europe...but those were different days

To my knowledge he still lives in Marabella ...not sure of his life after football....but i hear he plays the odd fete match....

to be honest he was my Idol...i guess you know how it is at school when as a form 3 student,, i was called to the Senior Intercol team, and rubbed shoulders with the stars of the team like Rahim and Verant Tyson....we also became good friends after....but i lost track when i moved to POS many years ago....

so " Tallman"...give me some stats on Rahim nah...and also to the forum who may know of Joel Rahim...cheers
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Joel Rahim TnT left back from late 70's ..early 80's
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »
Wicked wicked footballer, one of T&T's more talented and versatile left backs. He played for Hurricanes and San Fernando Strikers. Had an offer in Surinam that could have led to Dutch football. I was lucky enough to play with Joel, and i must admit admiration for his game. Probably the last player of Indian heritage to represent T&T.
Another player that suffered from the ban on players in the Premier. Because of this T&T lost out on him gaining more caps.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:37:32 PM »
a bit before mih time but it bring back good memories of how fine dem mod sec girl was.

ah even hit up allyuh sports day once but eh pick up nothing  :-[.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:08:41 PM »
ah even hit up allyuh sports day once but eh pick up nothing  :-[.

ah wonder if men home is still storm sports day to check gyul  :afro:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 03:27:36 PM »
so " Tallman"...give me some stats on Rahim nah...and also to the forum who may know of Joel Rahim...cheers

I eh have no stats fuh he, but he could not have played dat much fuh T&T because at dat time late 70s/early 80s we hardly play any international matches (against other countries). He was on de team dat won de Caribbean Cup in Puerto Rico in 1981. We score 10 goals in dat tournament and concede naught.

How it is he get de nickname "Bunny"?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:30:57 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 04:55:59 PM »
ah could be wrong, but I think we scored 7 in the final vs. Puerto Rico..

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 05:00:54 PM »
ah could be wrong, but I think we scored 7 in the final vs. Puerto Rico..
Close. we hit dem fuh six.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:24:45 PM »
Thanks Tallman....well his caps/stats  not there ???....i saw a lot of TnT games with Rahim....as i was in South and Skinner park was "The national Venue" at the time....

i know he also played Vz the New York Cosmos when they came here..

Observer....i am glad you remebered Joel...i saw you and Rahim play quite a few TnT U-21 matches...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 08:28:24 PM »
Thanks Tallman....well his caps/stats  not there ???....i saw a lot of TnT games with Rahim....as i was in South and Skinner park was "The national Venue" at the time....
He still living Marabella. Ah will get de info and e-mail yuh de particulars in de next couple of days.

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:21:47 PM »
Big Magician, I am surprise of your football knowledge, to hear that you can call out Rahim and Tyson, and nah mention your captain bro, Ronnie Roberts (CARAP), a real talent.

The only year that mod sec ever played intecol and it took pres 2 games to knock us out, i will always regret missing that sitter at the end of the 1st game with the score 0-0, then that dame principal took the team to church before our replay, with your coach Danny hanging on to he Little friend, man after that church session all went down hill.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 09:26:04 PM »
Big Magician, I am surprise of your football knowledge, to hear that you can call out Rahim and Tyson, and nah mention your captain bro, Ronnie Roberts (CARAP), a real talent.

The only year that mod sec ever played intecol and it took pres 2 games to knock us out, i will always regret missing that sitter at the end of the 1st game with the score 0-0, then that dame principal took the team to church before our replay, with your coach Danny hanging on to he Little friend, man after that church session all went down hill.

We also played in 1993, I was on that team and Jan Steadman was the coach.... ;D

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 09:33:02 PM »
Sorry DC, and how did team play?

I know Jan is a serious coach when it come to fitness but lacks in technical.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 10:00:27 PM »
Well look I doh even know who Mod Sec is (some secondary school obviously)...let alone Joel Rahim, but always good to hear men reminiscing about the olden days and players from yesteryear.  Ah started to say "talking about older players"...but seeing dat Observer and Coach was kicking ball wid Jesus I ent want tuh make dem feel too ole,lol 

Carry on :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 05:33:09 AM »
Well look I doh even know who Mod Sec is (some secondary school obviously)...let alone Joel Rahim, but always good to hear men reminiscing about the olden days and players from yesteryear.  Ah started to say "talking about older players"...but seeing dat Observer and Coach was kicking ball wid Jesus I ent want tuh make dem feel too ole,lol 

Observer mek Methuselah look like a infant bro.  But de fugger coulda play.  Dey doh call he Trini Pele fuh nutting yo.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 07:04:56 AM »

Observer mek Methuselah look like a infant bro.  But de fugger coulda play.  Dey doh call he Trini Pele fuh nutting yo.

Nah nah nah I wasn't no big player. I was a substitute for the substitutes. They use to pick 16 in dem days, they had ah fellah wid ah wooden leg was number 16, I come after he  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 07:51:54 AM »

Coach dat church thing sound vaguely familiar (see Strike Squad Nov. '89) anyway ah just cyah put ah face on Rahim (who name ah know and who ah know ah see play). Verant transfer to Mod Sec from Inter so ah he know real good, like another man say it just good to hear men (ahem, south men) bring back lil football memories. Ah waiting for somebody to bring up the de year (1979 ah believe) when little Fyzo Inter play Fatima-ah believe-in the barclays intercol knockout final in the Park. yeah dey beat we but it was still memorable for we lil school, oh and Patrick Geoffrey (Joefer) was on dat team.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 08:16:55 AM »
Sorry DC, and how did team play?

I know Jan is a serious coach when it come to fitness but lacks in technical.

That was way back then and We had 4 draws and no wins. We were knocked out of the first round Intercol by P'Town 2-0. The star of that team was a youth called Raurie Robinson. I think he played for Liberty years later.

I thought Jan was only hype, I agree with you.....back then and Our Caretaker Mr Scott was corrupt, and tech staff only cared  about their dunce children getting into 6th Form....! Was a great experience though. I later left to go to Pres..... ;D

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »
Breds the 1979 Intercol Final was Fatima vs. ST. Augustine.

Fatima won 2-1.

VB

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »

Coach dat church thing sound vaguely familiar (see Strike Squad Nov. '89) anyway ah just cyah put ah face on Rahim (who name ah know and who ah know ah see play). Verant transfer to Mod Sec from Inter so ah he know real good, like another man say it just good to hear men (ahem, south men) bring back lil football memories. Ah waiting for somebody to bring up the de year (1979 ah believe) when little Fyzo Inter play Fatima-ah believe-in the barclays intercol knockout final in the Park. yeah dey beat we but it was still memorable for we lil school, oh and Patrick Geoffrey (Joefer) was on dat team.

Yeah Fyzo what ah name yuh call dey Patrick Geoffrey (Joefer) he was on the National youth team back in 76 or 77. Never really represented T&T enough at the senior level.
 I remember him &  Brian Williams running things in the Palo Seco team midfield, feeding Eddy Jones to throw way over bars  ;D. Lard! I remember going down to play Inter and if yuh beat dem, man trying to break down the door to the dressing room and beat up man. Every man jack trying to climb out the little window and get to the bus stop we hahaha
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 08:54:04 AM »
dais is why ah include "ah believe" in de post, ah probably make a mistake by putting Barclays and Intercol in the name, BUT having said all dat, ah know ah didn't imagine going Skinner Park and seeing we side lose. so excuse yuh boy nah (is nuff cananbis sative-L back in de day), I almost certain was Fatima (archivist, please verify?!?!?) we play, ah believe the skillfull skinny-man was on dat team 9cyah remember he name), ah wanted to say garnet craig-but he tall.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 03:53:33 PM »
I remeber joel rahim he was good but not the best left back,Roderick (mandog) Nicolson who played with Vandykes, Challengers, Malvern and also pro Pioneers along with with Rahim was better, also the red man from Peterboro think his name was Elliot also was a better player. Not to take nothing away from Rahim he was ok but he did not look against New York Comos in the oval yes it nice to look back.........................................football is more than a kick in grass its life

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 04:26:23 PM »
I remeber joel rahim he was good but not the best left back,Roderick (mandog) Nicolson who played with Vandykes, Challengers, Malvern and also pro Pioneers along with with Rahim was better, also the red man from Peterboro think his name was Elliot also was a better player. Not to take nothing away from Rahim he was ok but he did not look against New York Comos in the oval yes it nice to look back.........................................football is more than a kick in grass its life

Nicolson nah I see nuff man use he. Now Suzie (Eliot) who play for ASL arguably a better player indeed. As for the Cosmos game (depends wich one) but all man look ordinary in that game
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 06:15:39 PM »
dais is why ah include "ah believe" in de post, ah probably make a mistake by putting Barclays and Intercol in the name, BUT having said all dat, ah know ah didn't imagine going Skinner Park and seeing we side lose. so excuse yuh boy nah (is nuff cananbis sative-L back in de day), I almost certain was Fatima (archivist, please verify?!?!?) we play, ah believe the skillfull skinny-man was on dat team 9cyah remember he name), ah wanted to say garnet craig-but he tall.

79?  Skillful and skinny?  Not too tall?

Coulda be Lester Joseph or Andre Ramdoo.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 12:19:53 AM »
Mod Sec is used to refer to  schools that were build around 1962 like San Fernando, Couva, Arima and of course my school San Juan Gov't Sec. BM we better caarry u with we on d station to talk bout dem old timers
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2007, 07:44:12 AM »
Nicolson nah I see nuff man use he. Now Suzie (Eliot) who play for ASL arguably a better player indeed. As for the Cosmos game (depends wich one) but all man look ordinary in that game                      If I remember right Clousel had one bright spot in the that game at the oval he pick a ball just outside the box shake right shake left beating the hold back line to include the great Franz beckenbauer then throw away the goal but is was sweet even Beckenbauer had to clap, as for sammy he share beat all day, rahim was a ball watcher all game , then it climax when the brazilian ah forget his name spit on the barbadian foward playing for pro pioneers and of course he the bajan cuff him in his face...........................................................I love to look back at those games

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »
Nicolson nah I see nuff man use he. Now Suzie (Eliot) who play for ASL arguably a better player indeed. As for the Cosmos game (depends wich one) but all man look ordinary in that game                      If I remember right Clousel had one bright spot in the that game at the oval he pick a ball just outside the box shake right shake left beating the hold back line to include the great Franz beckenbauer then throw away the goal but is was sweet even Beckenbauer had to clap, as for sammy he share beat all day, rahim was a ball watcher all game , then it climax when the brazilian ah forget his name spit on the barbadian foward playing for pro pioneers and of course he the bajan cuff him in his face...........................................................I love to look back at those games

From what I remember of the game Clauzel pick up, start to shake and Beckenbauer step forward and take away the ball like he was playing wid he child in the back yard. The Bajan was one of the Goddard brothers, yeah I remember the spit.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 08:46:20 AM »
Big Mag & others who are interested, if yuh want to see a picture of Joel Rahim he on the T&T Greatest Players link on this site. Look at San Fernando Strikers. he is behind the keeper who sitting down
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 08:54:45 AM »
Big Mag & others who are interested, if yuh want to see a picture of Joel Rahim he on the T&T Greatest Players link on this site. Look at San Fernando Strikers. he is behind the keeper who sitting down
dis one Observer?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:06:28 PM by Tallman »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »
cheers Observer...good pic....

Coops....CARAP....yuh know i only remember my skipper by that name "Carap"
( Carapachima)...very good footballer...lil chubby....but good technique....gosh we had a redman also...wais he name boy ??...ah getting old....Hargreaves...yea das it...

so coops you is Pres ??....dat 2 leg final was what i got called up for....Coach Danny Williams....nice fella...ex Nat Goalkeeper as far as i recall...

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 06:41:38 PM »
Me eh old like some men here.

When did NY Cosmos come to TT and who did they play against?

VB

1]; } ?>