April 27, 2024, 03:49:16 AM

Author Topic: The Best Player Ever  (Read 10096 times)

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
Re: The Best Player Ever
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2007, 09:47:09 PM »

''I find everything Diego do..it have two maybe 3 men who come after him and do it...just as well.''

Like Who ? Who you see dominate a game on ah regular basis like Maradona ..remember yuh say 'who come after him' eh .

Ronaldo, Zidane, Rivaldo, RonaldinhoAnd remember..i not like plenty who feel Maradona dominate most of the games he play in. I also doh buy into the myth that the Argentina teams or Napoli teams he played with were one-man shows. Finally..I doh buy into the idea that you have to have a brilliant WC to join the echelon of the greats. If Diego had get hurt before WC 86 and didn't play, he would have still be the same brilliant player.

I was a serious Napoli fan and I remember plenty games where he was jes ordinary or just plain shite. Even 86 WC. I find he had a few games where he was ordinary or trying too hard and things didn't come off. Somehow, everyone seems to 'remember' he run every game. At least people remember he was anonymous in the final. Any other player would have been called a choker if they reach the final with all that expectation and eh make a note. Instead, everyone try real hard to make it look like the pass for the final goal was brilliant..when it wasn't anything special. Doh geh me wrong, I making a point so I might be sunding overly negative..but I know most men name cyah pass in the same sentence as Diego. I real admire the baller but them 4 fellas at one point or another in their career..well the opposition had no answer for them. They were consistently 'unplayable' for club and country and did things that made me shake my head. But they too real to people today...they cyah compete with the myth people feel they remember when they was 12 years old  ;) :beermug:

Great ballers yuh call dey !!

I'll give yuh 82 WC as de one wey he din play so well...but.. he was only 21 and still now coming into his own, plus 82 WC Argentina was in ah poison group wiid Brazil (Socrates,Zico and co,) Shoes for life Rossi,with Gentile only restin it hard on him everytime he go close to de ball. Argentina simply had no answer for Brazil or Italy.
But I still have to disagree.IMO they dem fellas yuh call  never dominate a game,on ah regular basis or shud I say more consistantly, than Maradona.I also disagree when yuh say ' Even 86 WC. I find he had a few games where he was ordinary or trying too hard and things didn't come off' ...To me de 86 WC was Maradona's, ask England and Belgium.De goal dat he start beating from half line was one ah de best if not de best individual goals ever,not just in WC and what make it even better is, he live up to the hype,he gave football fans exactly what dey wanted to want to see, de best player in de world beating 5man on he way to a spectacular goal,and that kinda ah dominance,I find was more consistant than any other player.

Maybe yuh right becuz I see him in his prime,before the ones yuh call,who knows,it cud be ....'they cyah compete with the myth people feel they remember when they was 12 years old  ;) :beermug:

I was waiting fuh somebody to make a reference to Diego's goal vs England...it nice but is probably one of the most overrated solo goals in the history of football. Watch it properly...that is terrible defending from England that make Diego look extra good.

When Filho talked about Rivaldo and Ronaldinho dominating games, I doh think he meant in terms of running through defenses from the halfway line and scoring...but rather in terms of invention, creativity, bringing the TEAM into the game and yes, individual brilliance. And in that case I could think of few few men better than Rivaldo and Ronaldinho.

Even if yuh want to argue that the measure of a man is how he hold himself in his twilight years...we all know what happen to Maradona at 34 while old dog Rivaldo in he late 30's and still playing in Champions League teams and still the best in that team.

Waste ah time wid dah ...'measure of a man is how he hold himself in his twilight years...' dat have nuttin to do wid what we talkin bout here.

Denial is ah hell of ah thing ...You is de first person I know have that opinion of that solo effort.It easy for you to sit dey and say de defenders make him look good  :rotfl: But the truth is he is de one that make dem look bad.Go back to the link and you would see it is called 'The greatest goal of all time' ...is not just me dais wha de experts say.
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »
yeah boy grande, i eh know wha yuh really trying to get at there nuh..

zidane was a mere mortal in he twilight years if you dont consider his unexpected inspired performances in the 2006 world cup.. yuh cyah really judge a player on what he do in his later years, cause who knows how injuries/age affect players.. some players just have more longevity and shelf life than others, so lewwe deal with dem in dey prime nuh..

berris.. give jack he jacket, maradona showed up to de dance in dem world cups.. to score a goal like that in such a crucial game definitely merits a vote for best goal of all time.. Men who trying to discredit it underestimating de sheer acceleration with which he leave out dat english defence...

but in de same breath, if yuh want to talk about de players call, and now dey do it in de big dance.. We hadda talk about the amazing volley bullet from Zidane in the champions league final against dortmund.. now that ball deflect and sky up in the air.. you know how hard it is to swivel and time a ball coming down at that trajectory to unleash a demon like that? and in a CL final hoss?? Also, his world cup final performance to dismantle the favorites brazil in 1998. and then lewwe talk about leading that geriatric french team to the world cup final in 2006, only to be tainted by de headbutt incident..

that is what yuh call legend..

and we could also discuss rivaldo's performance to save barcelona a spot in the champions league in that famous game against valencia.. the difference with that game was that it wasn't a single goal or a moment of brilliance to look back on.. It was a whole game performance! man score a hattrick and totally dominate the whole game against a tough valencia side... Plus in that game, he score a goal of the century bicycle kick in the last minute to carry he side to de CL.. they say that goal was worth 25 million pounds at least..

so yeah man even if yuh ent agree that they was as good as diego, yuh hadda at least admit that dem fellahs warrant a place in a debate about some of the best players of all time..

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2007, 11:48:19 PM »

''I find everything Diego do..it have two maybe 3 men who come after him and do it...just as well.''

Like Who ? Who you see dominate a game on ah regular basis like Maradona ..remember yuh say 'who come after him' eh .

Ronaldo, Zidane, Rivaldo, RonaldinhoAnd remember..i not like plenty who feel Maradona dominate most of the games he play in. I also doh buy into the myth that the Argentina teams or Napoli teams he played with were one-man shows. Finally..I doh buy into the idea that you have to have a brilliant WC to join the echelon of the greats. If Diego had get hurt before WC 86 and didn't play, he would have still be the same brilliant player.

I was a serious Napoli fan and I remember plenty games where he was jes ordinary or just plain shite. Even 86 WC. I find he had a few games where he was ordinary or trying too hard and things didn't come off. Somehow, everyone seems to 'remember' he run every game. At least people remember he was anonymous in the final. Any other player would have been called a choker if they reach the final with all that expectation and eh make a note. Instead, everyone try real hard to make it look like the pass for the final goal was brilliant..when it wasn't anything special. Doh geh me wrong, I making a point so I might be sunding overly negative..but I know most men name cyah pass in the same sentence as Diego. I real admire the baller but them 4 fellas at one point or another in their career..well the opposition had no answer for them. They were consistently 'unplayable' for club and country and did things that made me shake my head. But they too real to people today...they cyah compete with the myth people feel they remember when they was 12 years old  ;) :beermug:

Great ballers yuh call dey !!

I'll give yuh 82 WC as de one wey he din play so well...but.. he was only 21 and still now coming into his own, plus 82 WC Argentina was in ah poison group wiid Brazil (Socrates,Zico and co,) Shoes for life Rossi,with Gentile only restin it hard on him everytime he go close to de ball. Argentina simply had no answer for Brazil or Italy.
But I still have to disagree.IMO they dem fellas yuh call  never dominate a game,on ah regular basis or shud I say more consistantly, than Maradona.I also disagree when yuh say ' Even 86 WC. I find he had a few games where he was ordinary or trying too hard and things didn't come off' ...To me de 86 WC was Maradona's, ask England and Belgium.De goal dat he start beating from half line was one ah de best if not de best individual goals ever,not just in WC and what make it even better is, he live up to the hype,he gave football fans exactly what dey wanted to want to see, de best player in de world beating 5man on he way to a spectacular goal,and that kinda ah dominance,I find was more consistant than any other player.

Maybe yuh right becuz I see him in his prime,before the ones yuh call,who knows,it cud be ....'they cyah compete with the myth people feel they remember when they was 12 years old  ;) :beermug:

I was waiting fuh somebody to make a reference to Diego's goal vs England...it nice but is probably one of the most overrated solo goals in the history of football. Watch it properly...that is terrible defending from England that make Diego look extra good.

When Filho talked about Rivaldo and Ronaldinho dominating games, I doh think he meant in terms of running through defenses from the halfway line and scoring...but rather in terms of invention, creativity, bringing the TEAM into the game and yes, individual brilliance. And in that case I could think of few few men better than Rivaldo and Ronaldinho.

Even if yuh want to argue that the measure of a man is how he hold himself in his twilight years...we all know what happen to Maradona at 34 while old dog Rivaldo in he late 30's and still playing in Champions League teams and still the best in that team.

Waste ah time wid dah ...'measure of a man is how he hold himself in his twilight years...' dat have nuttin to do wid what we talkin bout here.

Denial is ah hell of ah thing ...You is de first person I know have that opinion of that solo effort.It easy for you to sit dey and say de defenders make him look good  :rotfl: But the truth is he is de one that make dem look bad.Go back to the link and you would see it is called 'The greatest goal of all time' ...is not just me dais wha de experts say.

Nah boy I know a few other people who disagree with that. Take a look at the goal again...them English defenders were real woeful and none eh even try to stop him or like they fraid to pelt a blade before it was too late.

Doh get me wrong...the goal nice. Just that it don't deserve the accolade of "greatest goal of all time" and you must take the defense into consideration. If you won't then Saeed Al Owairan's goal should be named the greatest by dat logic.

yeah boy grande, i eh know wha yuh really trying to get at there nuh..

zidane was a mere mortal in he twilight years if you dont consider his unexpected inspired performances in the 2006 world cup.. yuh cyah really judge a player on what he do in his later years, cause who knows how injuries/age affect players.. some players just have more longevity and shelf life than others, so lewwe deal with dem in dey prime nuh..

yeah Omar I hear what yuh saying, I just throw that aspect of the discussion in for further consideration. I agree it not too pertinent to the original post in de thread, so take it or leave it  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 05:52:30 AM »
I think one of the things about Diego was that he was light years ahead of his peers, so I think that made him seem even more dominant. By then, Zico and Platini were well on the decline. I feel if dem fellas had break out at the same time, Diego would not have the same aura.Diego would still be considered the most talented, but there would not seem such a huge gap between his abilities and the rest.  Zidane, Rivaldo, Ronaldo and even Ronaldinho all overlap each other, so none of them had the same air of dominance as Diego. It was a case of anything you do on a Saturday, I will make it look ordinary on Sunday.

I actually think in terms of WC perfrmances, even Diego cyah touch Rivaldo. Rivaldo was arguably the best player in 2 back to back WCs. He played 14 games, scored 9 goals, had a lot of assists. In WC 1998, up until the final, I think he was the best player in the WC. I think he was almost immaculate in Wc2002. He didn't stand out like Diego cuz you had fellas like Ronaldo and Zidane also hogging the spotlight..but his performances were class and when yuh consider it..noone has shown such a high level of consistency at the WC in the modern era.

Omar, Berris..much respek fellas. I like where alluh coming from. All your points solid and is not like I could really disagree with allyuh. We just have a different opinions but I understand where yuh coming from and could see why so many people have same view. Anyhow, anything else I say will be annoying repitition of what I said before. So respek...I go check back dis thread later and see what else transpire..dis is a topic dat literally has no end  :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2007, 09:04:03 AM »
Nice discussion. It always hard to compare players of different generations. So it is always best to leave it as best of his generation. Filho right, Diego did not really have anyone to challenge him in his era. The players of the late 60's & 70's was like a "who's who" of football. A real golden age so to speak. It was a time where modern football grew, simply put teachers to ones we discuss now.
Football from 1978 and much of the 80's was dower IMHO. WC 86 save that era mainly due to Maradona's performance, the Brazil vs France game and arguably Denmark.
An old Hungarian footballer once told me that the main difference is that of television. We really could not see that best of DeStefano, Puskas, Pele, Esuebio, Cruyff etc. I have done my best to get footage of these players and surely they deserve the mantle of "Great"
So I agree Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zizou, Gullit, Van Basten also deserve the same Mantle. On their day each better than the other. Now consistency that is another discussion  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 11:23:46 AM »
Nice discussion. It always hard to compare players of different generations. So it is always best to leave it as best of his generation. Filho right, Diego did not really have anyone to challenge him in his era. The players of the late 60's & 70's was like a "who's who" of football. A real golden age so to speak. It was a time where modern football grew, simply put teachers to ones we discuss now.
Football from 1978 and much of the 80's was dower IMHO. WC 86 save that era mainly due to Maradona's performance, the Brazil vs France game and arguably Denmark.
An old Hungarian footballer once told me that the main difference is that of television. We really could not see that best of DeStefano, Puskas, Pele, Esuebio, Cruyff etc. I have done my best to get footage of these players and surely they deserve the mantle of "Great"
So I agree Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zizou, Gullit, Van Basten also deserve the same Mantle. On their day each better than the other. Now consistency that is another discussion  ;D

Maradona was a cheat and I never like him for that. He was skillful though and unstoppable in World Cup 86

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »

Maradona was a cheat and I never like him for that. He was skillful though and unstoppable in World Cup 86

True talk dat,yuh eh lie he was ah damn cheat, he was so good dey use to count he as 3 man,so really any truly any team wey he playing for come like dey was playing wid 13 against 11 ....robbery  :devil:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:11:23 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007, 11:37:11 AM »

Really another  discussion for another thread. Right now we admiring the man skills  :angel:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

TrinInfinite

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »
always and will be the bess for me...

God is de BOSS....

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Geatest
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »
Ok then!

DIEGO HAVE COMPETITION

Half ah allyuh is real propoganda man like Karl Rove oui

...de creator of the clip touches posted put big and Bold "orginal flip flap and orginal reverse kick/pass etc...."

Check da clip sentinel post
...yuh go see the Tru master doin dem reverse kick, spanner, dribblin backward..alllll dem ting  before Kodak even learn to make coloured Flim
and check it...notice plenty ah de Tru Master clips have smoke or dust commin off de back of mih boy foot....which mean the ground hard like de pitch in ah primary school  and the master still excellin...no fancy boots and agrarian science to make the ball stick and turn better eh?

Yet all yuh puttin ah crackhead dwarf ahead of The original master??    BLASPHEMY!!!...yes,yes de douen was exceptionally talented, but he doh want nuttn wit de original

.....ah hope de spirit of George Best pull allyuh toe tonight
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 06:31:08 PM »

Ronaldo, Zidane, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho

And remember..i not like plenty who feel Maradona dominate most of the games he play in. I also doh buy into the myth that the Argentina teams or Napoli teams he played with were one-man shows. Finally..I doh buy into the idea that you have to have a brilliant WC to join the echelon of the greats. If Diego had get hurt before WC 86 and didn't play, he would have still be the same brilliant player.

Filho I could be wrong but I am getting the feeling that you are trying to take Diego down a peg or two... Didn't FIFA run a poll of international football experts to decide who was the best footballer ever ? Didn't that poll give the title to Pele and Maradona ? ..so according to your argument all dem fellas wrong !
You take some liberties with some statements like ...you was ah Napoli fan and Maradona play many games and didn't shine ... well I was a Napoli fan too and I say here and now ...You crazy ! I used to make sure I was home to see de sports highlights as every napoli game had Diego in de highlights .....you tink dem Italians wouda give he, an Argentinian, hero pips just so ? In Italy they eat, breathe and sleep football ..you know more than dem ?
The World cup in Italy saw Argentina getting Naples as home base against Italy ..that remains the only time in history that Italy was an away team at home ! You tink Diego was not responsible for dat !
Filho , dem italians drop a man off a club team in Italy because he scored against the national team for his country in ah world Cup ...the explanation given was he cant do that and be welcomed in Italy...I could go on all night about some other statements you made but meh wife telling me we have to leave.... Say what you want but dont take so many liberties as to question your knowledge of football or your mouives for such statements.
....I kyah go yet ...Diego eh shine in the final ??? who pass de ball for the winner... Me ??

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 07:46:03 PM »

Filho I could be wrong but I am getting the feeling that you are trying to take Diego down a peg or two... Didn't FIFA run a poll of international football experts to decide who was the best footballer ever ? Didn't that poll give the title to Pele and Maradona ? ..so according to your argument all dem fellas wrong !
You take some liberties with some statements like ...you was ah Napoli fan and Maradona play many games and didn't shine ... well I was a Napoli fan too and I say here and now ...You crazy ! I used to make sure I was home to see de sports highlights as every napoli game had Diego in de highlights .....you tink dem Italians wouda give he, an Argentinian, hero pips just so ? In Italy they eat, breathe and sleep football ..you know more than dem ?
The World cup in Italy saw Argentina getting Naples as home base against Italy ..that remains the only time in history that Italy was an away team at home ! You tink Diego was not responsible for dat !
Filho , dem italians drop a man off a club team in Italy because he scored against the national team for his country in ah world Cup ...the explanation given was he cant do that and be welcomed in Italy...I could go on all night about some other statements you made but meh wife telling me we have to leave.... Say what you want but dont take so many liberties as to question your knowledge of football or your mouives for such statements.
....I kyah go yet ...Diego eh shine in the final ??? who pass de ball for the winner... Me ??

Jai..you are wrong. You don't get it. I real like Diego. He was the best of his era by far, and was amazing, but he is a mere mortal and I find there are others who were just as impressive. Suspect what yuh want but just make your points and doh insult me by questioning my motives or what I know about football. Gald you watch real highlights, hope you actually watched a game now and then. Some days Maradona was nutten special..if you have a problem with that, you have a problem with reality.

Regarding the poll stating Maradona and Pele were the best players ever. Who cares. I form my own opinions. Sometimes I agree with the masses, sometimes I don't. I understand where people come from with Diego. I doh insult their intelligence..I just disagree that none have come after Diego and shone as brightly.

Sure Neapolitans supported Diego in WC 1990 but Neapolitans never feel like part of Italy and in case you missed it, the Argentine national anthem was booed in the final and Diego could be seen mouthing Figli di Puttana when he realized his request for Neapolitans to support Argentina was backfiring. Diego himself initially claimed that his failed drug test in 1990 was a conspiracy to kick him out of Italy because Argentina won that SF. Not all Italians loved Diego..far from it.

And plaese..don't assume that Italians, or Brazilians, or Argentines or anyone necessarily know more about anything than you or I. About anything. With all due respect, ride to fu*k out with that attitude. If that is how you base your opinions go your way with your sheep self. But I guess if someone not kissing an Argentine bamsee you have to question their intelligence. You know nothing bout me and my knowledge or passion for the game..and you clearly know f**k all about Italians

And finally..Diego was lame by his standards in the Wc 1986 final. only a blind fool can't see that. Decent pass..but Burruchaga still had all the work to do. Diego was just not impressive on the night. Next time just give your opinion and doh study me. You move like a zombie with no independent thought with every point you make. And note how I respect where everyone else come from and it was mutual even though people disagree. Try and adopt that attitude, you might realize you actually have something of worth to say
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 07:48:21 PM by Filho »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 07:46:19 PM »

Ronaldo, Zidane, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho

And remember..i not like plenty who feel Maradona dominate most of the games he play in. I also doh buy into the myth that the Argentina teams or Napoli teams he played with were one-man shows. Finally..I doh buy into the idea that you have to have a brilliant WC to join the echelon of the greats. If Diego had get hurt before WC 86 and didn't play, he would have still be the same brilliant player.

Well said jai  :applause: :applause:

IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 07:53:43 PM »

Jai..you are wrong. You don't get it. I real like Diego. He was the best of his era by far, and was amazing, but he is a mere mortal and I find there are others who were just as impressive. Suspect what yuh want but just make your points and doh insult me by questioning my motives or what I know about football. Gald you watch real highlights, hope you actually watched a game now and then. Some days Maradona was nutten special..if you have a problem with that, you have a problem with reality.

Regarding the poll stating Maradona and Pele were the best players ever. Who cares. I form my own opinions. Sometimes I agree with the masses, sometimes I don't. I understand where people come from with Diego. I doh insult their intelligence..I just disagree that none have come after Diego and shone as brightly.

Sure Neapolitans supported Diego in WC 1990 but Neapolitans never feel like part of Italy and in case you missed it, the Argentine national anthem was booed in the final and Diego could be seen mouthing Figli di Puttana when he realized his request for Neapolitans to support Argentina was backfiring. Diego himself initially claimed that his failed drug test in 1990 was a conspiracy to kick him out of Italy because Argentina won that SF. Not all Italians loved Diego..far from it.

And plaese..don't assume that Italians, or Brazilians, or Argentines or anyone necessarily know more about anything than you or I. About anything. With all due respect, ride to fu*k out with that attitude. If that is how you base your opinions go your way with your sheep self. But I guess if someone not kissing an Argentine bamsee you have to question their intelligence. You know nothing bout me and my knowledge or passion for the game..and you clearly know f**k all about Italians

And finally..Diego was lame by his standards in the Wc 1986 final. only a blind fool can't see that. Decent pass..but Burruchaga still had all the work to do. Diego was just not impressive on the night. Next time just give your opinion and doh study me. You move like a zombie with no independent thought with every point you make. And note how I respect where everyone else come from and it was mutual even though people disagree. Try and adopt that attitude, you might realize you actually have something of worth to say

Nah, Fiho dais not like you, how yuh go cuss de man for dat  :rotfl: So my cuss line up too, for applauding his post. ;D  Breds is just opinions nobody eh right or wrong and i don't think jai was insulting but den again is not me he was addressing. ;D :beermug:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »
Nah, Fiho dais not like you, how yuh go cuss de man for dat  :rotfl: So my cuss line up too, for applauding his post. ;D  Breds is just opinions nobody eh right or wrong and i don't think jai was insulting but den again is not me he was addressing. ;D :beermug:

Nah Berris. I doh really drop it so. And I eh really proud ah dat, but I doh mind if the man disagree with me at all. In fact, I was real cool with the scene..you feel I doh know that most people here would disagree with me. Anytime yuh say Diego was great but not untouchable, it seems like 90% of people will disagree. I cool wit dat. Always have been. But when ah man calling a shot like my opinion baseless cuz I cannot know as much or better than teh average Italian football fan..steeups..well dat mindless nonsense hadda ride. Jai telling me I taking liberties with my statements that have him questioning my knowledge and my motives..dat uncalled for. The man implying that I either being disingenuous or ignorant. Now as you say..we just expressing opinions about the topic. This fella decide he will express a couple opinions about me, none of them I find particularly complimentary. And dat eh cool by me...not tonight anyway  ;D ;D

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »
I hear yuh bro.....Respek  :beermug: :beermug:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 08:14:10 AM »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:12 AM »

I guess this is where we part company...... I wont go where you seem very comfortable ...
There is only one way from here ...and I not going there ...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 09:28:48 AM »

I guess this is where we part company...... I wont go where you seem very comfortable ...
There is only one way from here ...and I not going there ...

Good.

In any case, hard luck Jai. The language got a lil' harsh, but yuh cyah come on here with intentionally belittling comments that had nutten to do with the topic and then play you are a saint. Yuh disagree with me..no sweat. I respect your opinion on most football matters. I was even wondering why yuh take so long to hit us a vibes...cuz dis is your kind ah thread

But like I said..I find yuh come at me with some disrespect. So study where u took it with some unnecessary remarks
Also, the gist of my reply deals primarily with the points you made. If yuh doh have a reply to those points just come out and say so..doh hide behind the fact that I took issue with certain non-footballing things yuh said
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:34:11 AM by Filho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 09:39:09 AM »
Jai doh study it, is de daily back and forth with certain posters  :bs: rubbing off on Filho...

is just ah increased level of jumpiness; like when men come back from war and suffering from PTSD...    :devil: :devil:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 09:39:52 AM »
Hoss yuh criticize Argentina, Maradonna, Riquelme or Villarreal and Jai will object even if what yuh saying makes sense.

Fact is Diego was human like any other- and he did have bad games and slumps in form.  He had a spectacular WC 1986, a mediorcre WC 1990, a little spark in WC 1994 b4 he bowed out disgracefully. And yes, Lothar Mattheus kept him at bay (somewhat) in the '86 final.

I made the point about Nostalgia in another thread where people swear that SSFL football was soooo much better back in the day than today, whereas the quality is most likely the same- Just compare our local youth ballers to their global counterparts- we're in the same position- off the map.

The same concept applies to when we speak of Maradonna & Pele. People who watched football religiously in Pele's time would not want to concede that Maradonna is better than Pele because they prefer to hold on to their memories of football as the best that ever were.....Nostalgia.

People who's first impression of great football was in the time of Maradonna- same thing applies. Players like Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and maybe others have done what Maradonna did, won what Maradonna won, and have arguably brought the same degree of style, flair, passion and enjoyment to the game that Diego did...Nostaliga will prevent them from receiving the same acclaim.

I challenge anyone on this board to clearly recall 20 (or even 10) full 90 minute games that they sat and watched Maradonna play. And I doh mean recall that you saw the game, actually remember how he performed -bet it can't be done. In fact, make it easier, give me a run down of his performances in each of the 6 games in W.C. '86 -beyond the goal scoring highlights.....bet it still can't be done (by the majority at least, even the originator of this thread- yes Touches ah callin' yuh out  ;D)... But we can probably do it for Ronaldinho, Zidane, Ronaldo etc...and hence we can relate more to their "human-ness", and we can speak of their off-games and slumps in form etc....with Maradonna all we can recall is the highlights on youtube, and the solo run against England in '86, and the tricks captured in his club days... Nostalgia.

Maradonna had 1 out of 4 great World Cups...Nostalgia. Pele, just about the same....Nostalgia.

Pele, Maradonna, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Mattheus, Maldini, Beckenbauer...the list goes on- all great....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:46:34 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2007, 09:47:07 AM »
Jai doh study it, is de daily back and forth with certain posters  :bs: rubbing off on Filho...

is just ah increased level of jumpiness; like when men come back from war and suffering from PTSD...    :devil: :devil:
:beermug:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2007, 10:21:24 AM »

heheheh...if u say so  ;D

Omar....almost everyone disagreed with my opinion. Look at all my responses. How yuh go come now and say I being jumpy. Jai takes criticism of Argentine football / footballers (except Ayala  ;D) way too personally and feels he has to take a lil' dig at yuh to make his points. I doh even see the big deal in my response to Jai. And I dealt mostly with the points Jai himself made so that if Jai wanted to, he had more than enough to respond to without addressing what I took issue with. I eh know what is all this drama with 'there is only one way from here'  ::) steeups

All Jai had to say was, yuh taking offense where none was meant and I would apologize and dat would be dat  :beermug:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:11:28 AM by Filho »

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »
The only thing I have issue with is his performances at Napoli, I sorry but I was big Napoli supporter back then and Maradonna take that team to the championship without him they would win nadda.

I was in Napoli last year and you believe they still have tributes and posters and banners ! thats like 18 years later !

He is revered there.

you imagine they spray paint the cemetrey wall with "you dont know what you have missed....maradonna "
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »
The only thing I have issue with is his performances at Napoli, I sorry but I was big Napoli supporter back then and Maradonna take that team to the championship without him they would win nadda.

I was in Napoli last year and you believe they still have tributes and posters and banners ! thats like 18 years later !

He is revered there.

you imagine they spray paint the cemetrey wall with "you dont know what you have missed....maradonna "

No diasgreement there at all (it was two Championships..not sure which one you talking about). Maradona is worshipped at Napoli and is the single greatest footballer to play there and maybe all of Serie A history. They would have won nothing without him. All I said was that he had his bad days and there were periods where his form was off. In fact..there were games where he just didn't seem interested. Diego was also not the only 'game-winner' at napoli. I saw games where fellas like Careca, Crippa, Giordano, Carnevale..even Alemao and DeNapoli carried Napoli when El Pibe de Oro was off. Even litle Zola in the latter years. They used to call the MAradona GIordano CAreca trident MAGICA (or magic in Italian). Diego was the greatest hero...but not the only one. I doh see why some people take offense (not you Oli) to a normal occurrence like Diego losing form or playing badly. I'm just saying it happened more than many like to admit or can remember. He was, after all, only human. The thing is..now he is legend..and with all legends..his exploits are being exaggerated
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:30:34 AM by Filho »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2007, 04:39:54 PM »

He is revered there.

No diasgreement there at all (it was two Championships..not sure which one you talking about). Maradona is worshipped at Napoli and is the single greatest footballer to play there and maybe all of Serie A history. They would have won nothing without him. All I said was that he had his bad days and there were periods where his form was off. In fact..there were games where he just didn't seem interested. Diego was also not the only 'game-winner' at napoli. I saw games where fellas like Careca, Crippa, Giordano, Carnevale..even Alemao and DeNapoli carried Napoli when El Pibe de Oro was off. Even litle Zola in the latter years. They used to call the MAradona GIordano CAreca trident MAGICA (or magic in Italian). Diego was the greatest hero...but not the only one. I doh see why some people take offense (not you Oli) to a normal occurrence like Diego losing form or playing badly. I'm just saying it happened more than many like to admit or can remember. He was, after all, only human. The thing is..now he is legend..and with all legends..his exploits are being exaggerated

What never came up here is de fact that Diego use to be partying night and day,tight like wax which resulted in some bad games.I'm not saying every time he had a bad game (as few as there was  ;D) that he was high but he is human, an like any top player,will have a rare bad game.Ronaldo and company never party half as as much
.Fihlo, Ronaldo and dem  were good, very very good, de best, but yuh see Pele and Diego, they were special,forget what de football pundits say(ah realize yuh eh like dem fellas ;D)  dem 2 leave ah lasting impression on de majority ah football loving people, to be called the all time greatest. :beermug: :beermug:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »
What never came up here is de fact that Diego use to be partying night and day,tight like wax which resulted in some bad games.I'm not saying every time he had a bad game (as few as there was  ;D) that he was high but he is human, an like any top player,will have a rare bad game.Ronaldo and company never party half as as much
.Fihlo, Ronaldo and dem  were good, very very good, de best, but yuh see Pele and Diego, they were special,forget what de football pundits say(ah realize yuh eh like dem fellas ;D)  dem 2 leave ah lasting impression on de majority ah football loving people, to be called the all time greatest. :beermug: :beermug:

yeah bredda
i hear yuh. i doh really comment too much on Pele. Dat was before my time, but I see plenty footage, realize what he accomplished and realize what he means to people who saw him play. I respect that he is considered one of, if not the, all-time greatest. Same with Diego.I appreciate how he is viewed, but I feel I can talk more on that subject as I actually saw him play quite a bit, so I throw in my 2 cents. Everybody's brain wired differently. We will watch the same 90 minutes and come away with 2 different stories. I guess something about Diego didn't resonate with me as much as it did with most others. Say wha'. But I see it more as I bigging up Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Dinho and Zidane, more than putting down Diego. All them fellas were just equally unbelievable to me in their prime...and I starting to see it in Messi too :beermug: :beermug:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:56:26 PM by Filho »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2007, 07:04:49 PM »

yeah bredda
i hear yuh. i doh really comment too much on Pele. Dat was before my time, but I see plenty footage, realize what he accomplished and realize what he means to people who saw him play. I respect that he is considered one of, if not the, all-time greatest. Same with Diego.I appreciate how he is viewed, but I feel I can talk more on that subject as I actually saw him play quite a bit, so I throw in my 2 cents. Everybody's brain wired differently. We will watch the same 90 minutes and come away with 2 different stories. I guess something about Diego didn't resonate with me as much as it did with most others. Say wha'. But I see it more as I bigging up Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Dinho and Zidane, more than putting down Diego. All them fellas were just equally unbelievable to me in their prime...and I starting to see it in Messi too :beermug: :beermug:

We seeing de same thing  :beermug: :beermug:

IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

1]; } ?>