April 27, 2024, 07:10:58 AM

Author Topic: Trinis in Action (Sept 22, 2007)  (Read 9945 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinis in Action (Sept 22, 2007)
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 11:51:21 AM »
Apparently Birchall put een quite ah performance yesterday.

From saintmirren.premiumtv.co.uk:
Star Saint: Without doubt Chris Birchall was the outstanding player on the field, as time and time again, he broke free on the right and sent quality deliveries over. He tired near the end, but did more than enough to suggest he will be a big asset to St Mirren this season.

Good tuh see Norville get dat goal, especially since he only have ah month tuh impress de manager.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 12:20:14 PM »
nice dat me mum get a Big Up
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
Where allyuh see Kenwyne get an assist? I see a ball bounce off KJ head and a defender butt it away straight to the goalscorer.
How you so controversial dread. the blind could see the ball came of kenwin's head and fall on miller chest, and had it not been for kenwin's effort the goal would not have scored since kenwin sheild the defender from miller while he was on the ground, ah split second again and that said defender would've intercepted that play and the goal. go back and watch it again on instant replay but on slow mode.
Nope. In fact, now that I watch it again, the ball ain't touch KJ head at all. Both of them went up, but the defender won it and headed it away straight to Liam Miller. Kenwyne assist that goal by shielding off the defender afterwards.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 04:18:29 PM »
The way I saw it KJ headed the ball, it deflected off the defender and into the path of Miller.

Is a bit presumptuous to call it an assist seeing that Miller was behind KJ, outside of the box. However, from the moment you conider (like the premier league fantasy ppl did) that the defender never controlled the ball i.e. it wasn't a give away, KJ is the last Sunderland person to get the ball to  Miller for the goal. Thats technically an assist.

Silly, but completely logical when you consider that a man who only touch the ball before his teamate blast it in on a direct free kick is considered as having made the decisive 'pass'
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2007, 05:56:29 PM »
So let me ask allyuh ah question, what if KJ was no where near the play and the defender headed the ball dicisively out towards the other direction, BC if KJ was not there to rough him up and back him off the ball that's exectly what would've happened, so let's say that's what happened, how the hell would murphy have scored.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:38:15 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinis in Action (Sept 22, 2007).
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 07:42:10 PM »
Where allyuh see Kenwyne get an assist? I see a ball bounce off KJ head and a defender butt it away straight to the goalscorer.
How you so controversial dread. the blind could see the ball came of kenwin's head and fall on miller chest, and had it not been for kenwin's effort the goal would not have scored since kenwin sheild the defender from miller while he was on the ground, ah split second again and that said defender would've intercepted that play and the goal. go back and watch it again on instant replay but on slow mode.
Good call...KJ got a head on the ball over to Miller...while on the ground he shielded his man helping open a tiny window for Miller's shot.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2007, 07:47:13 PM »
Silly, but completely logical when you consider that a man who only touch the ball before his teamate blast it in on a direct free kick is considered as having made the decisive 'pass'
It was also KJ's considerable effort that won the ball for Miller...not that silly if you ask me.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 02:52:04 AM »
It was also KJ's considerable effort that won the ball for Miller...not that silly if you ask me.

In case I wasn't explicit enough, its silly because can be considered an 'assist' for player any one of the following siuations:

1) Player A chests down the ball for player B who hits a one time half volley
2) Player A dribbles through 5 men, beat the keeper and player B slides in and put in a ball that was going in any way.
3) Player A is tackled in the box, Ref blows a penalty and Player B scores
4) Player A swings in a cross for player B who promptly heads it in
5) Player A hits a cracker off the post, or that the keeper can only parry into the path of player B for a tap in
6) Player A shot deflects of a defender and ball returns right to player in the middle of the field outside the box and he hits a blaster
7) Player A nudgess an indirect free kick before player B takes it like a direct free kick
8) Player B plays a 1-2 with player A before scoring
9)player A hits a cross into the box that is deflected into his own netby player C for an own goal
10) player A hits the goal kick long to player B who collects it, dribbles his defender and scores

In all of these different situations, the player A would record an 'assist'

However if player A sets a legal body screen on the last defender rushing in to pick up player B he gets no assist.
if player A dribbles 10 men, then gets the ball picked off his feet by the keeper, and the subsequent throw out by the keeper is intercepted by player B for a goal, no assist.
I'm not even sure you get an assist for "dummying" a defender on a goalscoring pass or not.

Its completely arbitrary, one 'controlled interception by the opposition and all the effort you put into getting the ball into the opponent's box is completely ignored when the ball is scored. What silly about KJ's assist is that I have seen people get assists for doing a lot less work and getting none for doing a lot more.
I'm not complaining though, I got my 3 extra points from him.

On the bright side, I guess that avoids having those "fuentestic" situatins where people like spann et al are 'responsible for a goal despite having been the 2nd of 5 or 6 people to control the ball on an action
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 03:11:09 AM »
Wait nah? Scott gone from double goal scorer to not being on the team  ???

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 03:20:57 AM »
Wait nah? Scott gone from double goal scorer to not being on the team  ???
QUESTIONABLE: FW Scott Sealy (quadricep strain);
http://web.mlsnet.com/stats/injuries.jsp
 ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 04:30:06 AM »
what i trying to understand is if sheffield utd back down in the english  championship, why downing and bartholonew still in the belgian 3rd division, mind you downing wasnt selected for the last game. ah just hope whatever happens it works out good 4 those boys
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 08:34:33 AM »

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 11:33:45 AM »

In case I wasn't explicit enough, its silly because can be considered an 'assist' for player any one of the following siuations:

2) Player A dribbles through 5 men, beat the keeper and player B slides in and put in a ball that was going in any way.
5) Player A hits a cracker off the post, or that the keeper can only parry into the path of player B for a tap in
6) Player A shot deflects of a defender and ball returns right to player in the middle of the field outside the box and he hits a blaster
7) Player A nudgess an indirect free kick before player B takes it like a direct free kick
9)player A hits a cross into the box that is deflected into his own netby player C for an own goal
10) player A hits the goal kick long to player B who collects it, dribbles his defender and scores

However if player A sets a legal body screen on the last defender rushing in to pick up player B he gets no assist.
if player A dribbles 10 men, then gets the ball picked off his feet by the keeper, and the subsequent throw out by the keeper is intercepted by player B for a goal, no assist.
I'm not even sure you get an assist for "dummying" a defender on a goalscoring pass or not.

Its completely arbitrary, one 'controlled interception by the opposition and all the effort you put into getting the ball into the opponent's box is completely ignored when the ball is scored. What silly about KJ's assist is that I have seen people get assists for doing a lot less work and getting none for doing a lot more.

On the bright side, I guess that avoids having those "fuentestic" situatins where people like spann et al are 'responsible for a goal despite having been the 2nd of 5 or 6 people to control the ball on an action

thanks for explaining...but I understood you fine the first time, all I'm saying is that it was no mere incidental touch, but 'considerable effort' on Kenwyne's part to win the ball...pure happenstance that it fell to Miller, but given the effort I don't have a problem with them giving him an assist. 

Other lucky bounce which cause man to get assist...then sure.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »
what i trying to understand is if sheffield utd back down in the english  championship, why downing and bartholonew still in the belgian 3rd division, mind you downing wasnt selected for the last game. ah just hope whatever happens it works out good 4 those boys
Because they still need English work permits.  I think after playing in Europe for a couple years it becomes easier for them to get said permit and ply their trade in England.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 11:53:35 AM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 11:55:25 AM »
Because they still need English work permits.  I think after playing in Europe for a couple years it becomes easier for them to get said permit and ply their trade in England.

ok cool
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2007, 12:08:42 PM »
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/work_permits0/applying_for_a_work/sports_and_entertainers/football_players.html

ah not seeing how the european stint making it easier 4 them 2 go england unless they get citizenship.
looking at they requirements i doh understand how some players get through ???

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »
ya want me to get Mike Berry to explain it to you ;)
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »

thanks for explaining...but I understood you fine the first time, all I'm saying is that it was no mere incidental touch, but 'considerable effort' on Kenwyne's part to win the ball...pure happenstance that it fell to Miller, but given the effort I don't have a problem with them giving him an assist. 

Other lucky bounce which cause man to get assist...then sure.

fair enough

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »

Dat is a Magical photo ;)
 :applause: :applause:

Ah would love tuh see meh idol (Latapy) play fuh T&T again, some body wid some strong prays , please say some fuh we tuh get dis man back  :praying:. There is big players in de world like Dinho, Messi, Henry, E'to, Drogba, just tuh name ah few. But hear meh nah, tuh Supa, there is just something about Latapy, he does make yuh love de game even more. Imagine up tuh now we doh have ah skill fuul creative midfielder, dat is at least half as good as him, tuh replace de general.  Ah know men might throw out some names, but ah hear dem before, guess what, so far I'm not impressed. The best player we have in dat department, will be "Hardest" and poor fellah we cah count on him, cuz he does be going through all kind ah pressure. So yuh know what, F*** dat, ah going wid de old man yes, any day any time, if we have tuh beg, let we beg him. May be fuh 2014, ah yute will show up and represent dat position fuh we. Thanks fuh dat pic WC  :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:35:22 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »
supa...dat not happening...lets go to Falkirk and watch the Kings last games...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2007, 03:16:57 PM »
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/work_permits0/applying_for_a_work/sports_and_entertainers/football_players.html
ah not seeing how the european stint making it easier 4 them 2 go england unless they get citizenship.
Well I'd be the last one to claim that I understand how the requirement thing works...but I remember during the whole Peltier thing some of the experts on here, people who know somebody who know somebody kinda thing, said that by farming out the players elsewhere in Europe it simplifies the process later on.  At the time the rationale they presented made sense to me...but doh aks mih tuh repeat it here fuh yuh nah, lol.

as for why they still can't just join the team now that it's in the Championship, well that I fully understand...the same issue of having the permit applies.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
supa...dat not happening...lets go to Falkirk and watch the Kings last games...

Fuh real meh boss. Seriously Big Mag, up tuh last week, ah was talking tuh de wife about going some where fuh we vacation time. Ah suggested Scotland, she ask mey why Scotland, ah said well we never been there before and ah want tuh see Latapy play ah game while ah dey. Well of course, she from Puerto Rico, so she eh 2 excited about de Latapy game, but she thinking about it. Mey point here is dat, ah love de general so much as ah player, dat even on vacation wid de wife, ah still want tuh see him play  :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »
breds...supa...i planning a music tour around that....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2007, 06:38:50 PM »
breds...supa...i planning a music tour around that....

Nice, nice dat is what ah talking about breds, show yuh love and appreciation  :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2007, 12:43:28 AM »

fair enough
I stilll find that whole assist stat to be kinda iffy though...I always thought that was an American thing, I swear there isn't another stat-obsessed country like this one.  As much as it might be part of the international game I still find it to be a TV gimmick, or maybe for the fans, because as I see it individual stats are all about contract negotiation, at least this is where they matter most since they're the most tangible form of performance evaluation.  It may in fact be legit...but I cyah see ah GM/Team President really taking into consideration how many assists ah man have.

Den again, there must be some sort of stats for defenders and midfielders (this stat likely of most relevance to them)...otherwise the only thing they could measure is goals scored and goals saved.  I dunno...still torn on it.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »

fair enough
I stilll find that whole assist stat to be kinda iffy though...I always thought that was an American thing, I swear there isn't another stat-obsessed country like this one.  As much as it might be part of the international game I still find it to be a TV gimmick, or maybe for the fans, because as I see it individual stats are all about contract negotiation, at least this is where they matter most since they're the most tangible form of performance evaluation.  It may in fact be legit...but I cyah see ah GM/Team President really taking into consideration how many assists ah man have.

Den again, there must be some sort of stats for defenders and midfielders (this stat likely of most relevance to them)...otherwise the only thing they could measure is goals scored and goals saved.  I dunno...still torn on it.

I thought the whole assist stats thing was american as well, but real hardcore fans in other countries does take them on as well. The top sports daily in France "L'Equipe" has a thing where it gives an individual score to each player in a match.
When they really want to put the spotlight on a match they do a player by player breakdown, showing the number of passes made, balls lost, tackles tried, balls won, saves made, dribbles tried and succeeded, total minutes with possession, shots, shots on target, down to body part used to hit it!

I not saying this always use to be like this just that its relevance is appreciated elsewhere. I think on the other hand that the states is the onluy place where these self same stats have been used to decide an individual award (combination of goals and assists for MVP)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2007, 03:18:56 PM »

fair enough

I thought the whole assist stats thing was american as well, but real hardcore fans in other countries does take them on as well. The top sports daily in France "L'Equipe" has a thing where it gives an individual score to each player in a match.
When they really want to put the spotlight on a match they do a player by player breakdown, showing the number of passes made, balls lost, tackles tried, balls won, saves made, dribbles tried and succeeded, total minutes with possession, shots, shots on target, down to body part used to hit it!

I not saying this always use to be like this just that its relevance is appreciated elsewhere. I think on the other hand that the states is the onluy place where these self same stats have been used to decide an individual award (combination of goals and assists for MVP)

I stand corrected...France take de cake, lol

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2007, 08:10:06 PM »
Look de Latas goal that was much spoken of:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ka4suf

and Scotty's latest for Swansea, nice chest trap and run in:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zvl817

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Peong