April 23, 2024, 10:41:11 AM

Author Topic: Best Individual Comeback  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Best Individual Comeback
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:08:11 AM »
What is the greatest individual football career comeback you've ever seen? U know..someone who was at the top, fell rapidly and unexpectedly, was written off..and then came back into the limelight when noone thought they would reach the heights again...

I basically taking my hat off to Raul. He really fell off..bad. The symbol of Real Madrid seemed dead and buried a couple years ago. Right now..I find the man playing some very good ball..and he bussing the net. He looking like a completely different player..imo. Not the same as maybe 5 years ago..but closing in on that kind of form

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Best Individual Comeback
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:13:56 AM »
I would put in a vote for our own Yorkie. While he may not have reached the heights that he was once at, he has remade himself and was an important piece of the puzzle that got Sunderland back to the premiership.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »
Ronaldo - WC 2002....

Near career ending injury to top scorer and WC champion
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:16:13 AM »
Well I wouldn't put Raul out there because for me he was never at the top in the first place..

It would have to be a close tie between:

1: Zidane's comeback in the 2006 world cup - ah mean, he was ah old dog the whole season before that.. we was even questoning his inclusion in the side, yet he come and lead france to the final and was "World Cup player of the tournament", headbutt notwithstanding....

or

2: Ronaldo comeback from knee injury - that is quintessential rise to the top, fall to the bottom and rise to the top again. man career was dead and buried after the 2 consecutive knee injuries.. yet time after time he comeback and show why he's the best....

Naturally Yorke deserves a mention here as well..

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »
I would put in a vote for our own Yorkie. While he may not have reached the heights that he was once at, he has remade himself and was an important piece of the puzzle that got Sunderland back to the premiership.
eh eh you readin ma mind or wha ;D ;)

GREAT Choice and well said.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:24:05 AM »
Yep....I thought of all them fellas. Especially Yorke who is the most obvious choice for any Trini..and Ronaldo..my favorite choice. But I went for something that I wondered if others notice and would generate a lil' discussion. And Omar..Raul was one of the top strikers in Europe at one time..His La Liga record and Champion's League record speak for themselves. he has a good record for Spain too. U probably missed it, but for a while Raul was pure posion. The man was bound to score in La Liga or UEFA CL. He was class man. I not saying he was the best ever..but he reached the heighest heights of the game and qualifies as a world claas player in my books..

Kanu is having a mini resurgence too

« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 10:27:24 AM by Filho »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »
Cantona
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:39:30 AM »
Hold yuh horses fellah, i eh miss nothing with raul..

sure he was "one of the best", during his best period, but he was never "the best"..

champions league top scorer and la liga champion yes, but he never win nutten with Spain.. and it much too early in the season to conclude his recent resurgence as a comeback, because for all yuh know trigger-happy schuster could bench him a few games and he would be old news by december..

your thread title asks for the best comeback so lewwe dine on the lobster and caviar and dash de mutton..

hands down ronaldo and zidane.

and rest assured berris going and come in here and talk bout stern v mexico.. the backlash should take this to about 3 pages   :devil: :devil:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 10:54:19 AM »
....Ronaldo and Kanu.....them knee injuries/surgeries ain't nothing slight to come back from and for Kanu to come back from a heart problem (in light of the death of Marc Vivien Foe) and STILL be playing top-level football takes a whole lot of courage, in my book.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »

sure he was "one of the best", during his best period, but he was never "the best"..

champions league top scorer and la liga champion yes, but he never win nutten with Spain.. and it much too early in the season to conclude his recent resurgence as a comeback, because for all yuh know trigger-happy schuster could bench him a few games and he would be old news by december..

your thread title asks for the best comeback so lewwe dine on the lobster and caviar and dash de mutton..

and rest assured berris going and come in here and talk bout stern v mexico.. the backlash should take this to about 3 pages   :devil: :devil:

u confusing me boy Omar. Who said Raul was the best? And since when did the thread say we only talking about the best footballers. U said this

Well I wouldn't put Raul out there because for me he was never at the top in the first place..

Not too sure what that have to do with the thread bredda? Whan I say a player who reach the top I think you knowwhat I meant, or else u would not mention Yorke. We talking players who made a mark at the highest levels of the game

Then u come with this

Like u confused boy Omar. Yes the thread is about what you consider the best comeback..Nutten to do with who you think is or was the best player.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:42:14 PM by Filho »

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 12:41:25 PM »

Say it eh so boy Omar

anyhow

I eh know if I will actually call it a best comeback but he has seemed to reacquire some of the form that made him CL's all time leading scorer.

Between 00-03 Raul was pure poison. The man had the deftest chip ever. He just use to cut wide of the keeper and as the keeper rush out he jes chipping it over he head. Pure Class!

But I think Ronaldo has more of a best comeback than Raul. Ronaldo had some injuries there that nobody though he could've come back from whereas Raul was just a loss of form.

Més que un club.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 01:13:54 PM »
Beckham?

Twice.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 02:41:37 PM »
What is the greatest individual football career comeback you've ever seen? U know..someone who was at the top, fell rapidly and unexpectedly, was written off..and then came back into the limelight when noone thought they would reach the heights again...

I basically taking my hat off to Raul. He really fell off..bad. The symbol of Real Madrid seemed dead and buried a couple years ago. Right now..I find the man playing some very good ball..and he bussing the net. He looking like a completely different player..imo. Not the same as maybe 5 years ago..but closing in on that kind of form

I agree he playing some good ball right now but one tends to think Raul was a lil spoiled at Madrid. His career was never really threatened because regardless of the poopsing he put down on the field, he somehow always was on the 1st team. Face of Madrid in truth. They had even put him in midfield once (behind Owen and Ronaldo) just so he won't get bench...is like if they do that it will confirm Owen and Ronaldo just plain better than Raul. Raul is Madrid darling and will always be...whatever form he have they will always take care of him, which says a lot cause Madrid does throw away boss players like nuttin

but it good to see him comeback regardless

to answer the original question...I going with Ronaldo, and Diego Forlan who was rated as a shithound (ironically while in a shit side) before ripping up La Liga as top scorer

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 04:56:59 PM »
Gascoigne is my pick. He was ruled out as being too old but his last wc was his best!
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 07:36:16 PM »
Silvio Spann ;D

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 07:38:24 PM »
None better than Dwight Yorke.
TnT Patriot

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 10:18:02 PM »

Yuh go ask dat !!!  Not just Mexico,wham to Panama and Guatemala
Boss I remember we walkng past Woodbrook youth center heading down to de stadium, I have orn meh #14 juzzy and man passing in car bawlin 'not today nah geh we ah chance wid dah Stern John, is bench fuh he'...ah just laugh. :rotfl: Little did dey know de man dey write orf was going and buss up de net in spectacular fashion.
Fihlo, me eh kicksin on yuh thread yuh know ,I serious,as Omar say if yuh talking bout de best SJ is de best international goal scorer ever come out ah TnT so me eh just bumpin here.Stern John was definately writen off by many(ask he son Disgruntled) and he 'come back' n prove all who doubt him, wrong. ;)       
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 03:28:46 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 02:06:34 AM »
Diego Forlan

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 08:23:48 AM »
beckham .... ronaldo.... is to early to say for raul season now now start ...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »
Gascoigne is my pick. He was ruled out as being too old but his last wc was his best!

Gazza only played i world cup in 1990  ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2007, 08:58:25 PM »
paolo rossi,came back from 3 year ban,barely make de team,win golden boot and WC.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »
Jack Warner, back in 1989 he had to mortgage his house, his son, his wife, greneda, his grand ma and was almost broke funding the Strike Squad.

The he more than capacity tix, and get elected vice prez of Fifa, buy a football team, sports shop, timpaul travels, minister with Uain'tC, and who knows what else.

From broke to bank full. Now that is a comeback in football. When and where other men career end his begun and he is still getting paid.  ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2007, 10:57:25 PM »
When Harden ah mean Hardest get he foreign contract
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>