July 26, 2024, 11:54:34 PM

Author Topic: St Mirren 1-3 Hearts  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
St Mirren 1-3 Hearts
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:23:42 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/7017200.stm

Goals from Andrew Driver, Michael Stewart and Andrius Velicka gave Hearts victory against a luckless St Mirren.

Driver gave the Edinburgh side the lead against the run of play in 40 minutes with a low drive from inside the box.

Stewart doubled Hearts' lead from the spot and Mark Corcoran reduced the deficit, before Velicka grabbed a third to seal the win.

The hosts were denied a penalty in the first-half when Eggert Jonsson appeared to foul Stephen O'Donnell.

French goalkeeper Anthony Basso made his Hearts debut at Love Street after Steve Banks was struck down by food poisoning.

There was no room for Calum Elliot despite his double in Tuesday's CIS Cup victory over Dunfermline.

Hearts made four changes with Driver returning from injury and Ibrahim Tall and Audrius Ksanavicius also coming in.

Tomas Kancelskis and Kestutis Ivaskevicius dropped to the bench alongside Elliot.

St Mirren recalled Franco Miranda after suspension with Alan Reid making way at left-back.

The hosts looked the more likely to score in a first half with plenty of endeavour but little in the way of skilful play.

St Mirren appealed for a penalty when Jonsson appeared to bring down O'Donnell but referee John Underhill waved away the appeals.

Driver gave Hearts the lead five minutes before the break when Michael Stewart's corner broke to him on the right-hand side of the penalty area and his flashing drive found the net.

The Edinburgh side pressed for a second goal before half-time and Ksanavicius forced Smith into a smart save after the Lithuanian volleyed Robbie Neilson's lay-off.

St Mirren's fans were further enraged 10 minutes into the second half when Stewart tumbled under David Van Zanten's challenge and the referee pointed to the spot.

Stewart took the penalty himself and doubled Hearts' lead.

St Mirren pushed to reduce the deficit but lacked a cutting edge in and around the box.

Van Zanten missed a glorious chance to score after 75 minutes when he blazed over from a couple of yards.

But the hosts set up a tense finish when Corcoran's bullet header from Chris Birchall's cross flashed past Hearts keeper Basso.

St Mirren's hopes of salvaging a point faded with seven minutes to go when Velicka beat keeper Chris Smith with a low shot from inside the box to seal the points for Hearts.

St Mirren: Smith, van Zanten, McCay, Haining (Kean 48), Potter, Mason, Murray, O'Donnell (Corcoran 59), Miranda, Birchall, Mehmet (McGinn 69). Subs Not Used: Howard, Brittain, Brady, Docherty.

Booked: Potter, McCay.

Goals: Corcoran 78.

Hearts: Basso, Neilson, Goncalves, Berra, Tall, Kingston, Jonsson, Driver, Stewart (Zaliukas 90), Ksanavicius (Elliot 46), Nade (Velicka 82). Subs Not Used: Kurskis, Palazuelos, Kancelskis, Ivaskevicius.

Booked: Ksanavicius, Stewart.

Goals: Driver 40, Stewart 56 pen, Velicka 83.

Att: 4,233

Ref: J Underhil

Birchall seems to have found his place in the squad. He takes most of the corners and swings in his fair share off crooses (playing winger I guess)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: St Mirren 1-3 Hearts
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:05:24 PM »
i was watching that game between horse races and the Setanta commentator said that Birchall was St Mirren's most effective player

i also noticed that he was taking all the corners and free kicks
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:04:09 PM »
I's the only person think we should try Birchall at right wing and push Carlos to right back.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:28:31 PM »
I would never waste Carlos' scoring ability and goal creating ability by stickin him in de back.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 04:35:48 PM »
I's the only person think we should try Birchall at right wing and push Carlos to right back.

I think so.  8) Birchall is apparently not very fast for that position. But it depends on the game situation. I would say 90% of the time Carlos good at RW, until we have a Sweden type situation.  Birchall would be a good sub for Carlos as he would probably be the next most experienced RW we have. In fact I wonder why Beenhacker or Port Vale never tried Birchall at RB.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »

I think so.  8) Birchall is apparently not very fast for that position. But it depends on the game situation. I would say 90% of the time Carlos good at RW, until we have a Sweden type situation.  Birchall would be a good sub for Carlos as he would probably be the next most experienced RW we have. In fact I wonder why Beenhacker or Port Vale never tried Birchall at RB.

The wing back position demands speed (especially recovery speed), supreme stamina, positioning, tackling fundamentals and athleticism.  2 of the 5 cannot be taught or trained.   Birchall doesn't have those 2 qualities.  Beenie used him in a position that utilised his abilities to the benefit of the team and Birchall himself.

The only thing I disagreed with is I felt Birchall (and Spann) could have taken more dead balls.  Yorke was taking every free kick and corner.  There was no need for that.  Not when you have 2 guys with that kind of ability on the team.  With all due respect to Dwight, they are both better strikers of the ball than he is.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 05:43:38 PM »

I think so.  8) Birchall is apparently not very fast for that position. But it depends on the game situation. I would say 90% of the time Carlos good at RW, until we have a Sweden type situation.  Birchall would be a good sub for Carlos as he would probably be the next most experienced RW we have. In fact I wonder why Beenhacker or Port Vale never tried Birchall at RB.

The wing back position demands speed (especially recovery speed), supreme stamina, positioning, tackling fundamentals and athleticism.  2 of the 5 cannot be taught or trained.   Birchall doesn't have those 2 qualities.  Beenie used him in a position that utilised his abilities to the benefit of the team and Birchall himself.

The only thing I disagreed with is I felt Birchall (and Spann) could have taken more dead balls.  Yorke was taking every free kick and corner.  There was no need for that.  Not when you have 2 guys with that kind of ability on the team.  With all due respect to Dwight, they are both better strikers of the ball than he is.

very good analysis.

I remember seeing in the St. Pauli game Birchall hit the corner that set up one of the goals and thinking the same thing. I guess when your captain say, let me hit it, you doh really have the chance to ben...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 05:45:36 PM »
Well, I mostly looking at the fact that we eh really have no quality right backs (Cyd old). And Carlos more than prove himself competent there (and still a threat). So if Birchall could hold down the wing (his natural position), to me, I rather have a solid, competent right side (RB & RW) than a high quaility winger in front a RB who shitting the bed.

Is nothing. Ah go pay some friends to agree with mih.

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 07:05:26 PM »
Why change something that worked effectively?  Beenie put Birchie they because he played defensive mid well and helped Yorkie with alot of clean up work in front the back four, so why change anything?  I say just hope that Hardest or somebody step up creatively in the midfield and we good to go, but that is jes my thinking.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 02:43:17 AM »
Well, I mostly looking at the fact that we eh really have no quality right backs (Cyd old). And Carlos more than prove himself competent there (and still a threat). So if Birchall could hold down the wing (his natural position), to me, I rather have a solid, competent right side (RB & RW) than a high quaility winger in front a RB who shitting the bed.

yeah is best yuh do that cuz if yuh stick Cristiano Ronaldo as ah wing back people go cuss yuh, it eh any different with Carlos.

Yuh doh waste that.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 06:02:58 AM »

yeah is best yuh do that cuz if yuh stick Cristiano Ronaldo as ah wing back people go cuss yuh, it eh any different with Carlos.

Yuh doh waste that.

;D

1]; } ?>