April 16, 2024, 02:12:21 PM

Author Topic: T&T Election Date - Monday November 5th 2007  (Read 3338 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
T&T Election Date - Monday November 5th 2007
« on: September 28, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »

T&T Election Date - Monday November 5th 2007

Announced in Parliament today. 

Nomination Day is October 21st.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: T&T Election Date - Monday November 5th 2007
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 04:01:15 PM »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 08:33:13 PM »
Finally from d back pocket to d shirt pocket and now d date let d reallllllllllllllll madness begin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:14:31 PM »
‘Poll date a disrespect to Hindus’
BY URVASHI TIWARI-ROOPNARINE
Trinidad Guardian
Saturday 29th September, 2007

Out of his back pocket the big announcement came as Prime Minister Patrick Manning yesterday announced the general election date—November 5.

The date may be insignificant to some but it is the source of controversy as it is three weeks after the Muslim community celebrates Eid-ul-Fitr on October 12 or 13, and just four days before Hindus celebrate Divali on November 9.

Kamla Tewarie, president of the Hindu Women’s Organisation, said the Prime Minister’s choice of the election date was disrespectful to the Hindu community who would be celebrating the largest religious event of the year some four days later.

“It will definitely affect the community. People have Divali celebrations weeks before the actual date,” Tewarie said.

She said the Prime Minister should have had some respect, not just for the Hindus, but for any religious group celebrating auspicious events at that time.

“In calling the date, the PM has displayed little respect for the Hindu community.

“The fact that we are celebrating the biggest festival of the year should have been taken into consideration.”

Tewarie said whereas it may have been an oversight on behalf of the Prime Minister, it could be perceived as discrimination.

“If he said he had the date in his back pocket, the date of Divali and Eid should have also been in that pocket,” she said.

She suspects the mood of Divali to be somewhat affected.

“I imagine it will be difficult for Hindus to do what they should be doing at election time...I mean, there are community celebrations and individual observances.

“Election should never be held at this time,” Tewarie stressed.

She suggested that the Prime Minister call another date.

“If he said he didn’t realise that Divali was around the corner, nothing is wrong with that.”

She speculated the sentiments of Hindu members of Manning’s Cabinet and if anyone did or would raise objection.

Tewarie assured that she would consult with members of her group. She said: “Action should be taken to get him to change the day. It should be a date accepted by all sectors of society.”

ASJA PLEASED WITH DATE

Haydal Hosein, public relations officer of the Anjuman Sunnat-Ul-Jamaat Association (ASJA), said his members would be pleased with the Prime Minister’s announcement.

“The nation has been waiting for a date for a long time. We are happy it has been announced.”

He also said they were happy it was not in the fasting month of Ramadan as had happened with the last general election.

“We were not too happy but we still went along,” he said.

Even though political campaigning would occur simultaneously with Ramadan, Hosein thought everything would run smoothly.

“Fasting and prayer would finish at 8.30 pm for the latest, so Muslims—you know they are very active in politics—would be able to get the pulse of the action at the meeting thereafter.”

Hosein said while his community sympathised with the Hindus who would also be fasting, he advised them to take it in stride.

“We are all concerned. We are a nation where everyone lives in harmony so if Hindus feel it is a problem, we share the sentiment.”

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 06:05:19 PM »
Cyar please everybody nah.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:40:58 AM »

I eh hear no politicians taking this "bait" so if it stay so then this election might have the least amount of race talk.  This "issue" shouldn't make it past today paper....hopefully.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 12:22:34 PM »
noone taking that specific bait really..but they done charging other parties with playing d race card..or "warning" supporters that other parties will play race card. From de time yuh "warning" pple that in itself is playing de race card...all ah dem kno dat they cant abandon race politics cuz that is de only politics they know it seems
Back in Trini...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 12:25:07 PM »

I eh hear no politicians taking this "bait" so if it stay so then this election might have the least amount of race talk.  This "issue" shouldn't make it past today paper....hopefully.

Actually Ganga Singh mention it...Kamla too....read that in papers today. If i cant find the article online i go type it over.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 01:43:37 PM »

Actually Ganga Singh mention it...Kamla too....read that in papers today. If i cant find the article online i go type it over.

Yea put it up...I want to see how they handle.  Manning heself was doing the whole "warning" chupidness at they last rally.
I guess we will see how mature the populace is....I figure they will express their fedupness.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 08:56:30 PM »
Ganga Singh

Singh also criticised Prime Minister Patrick Manning's decision to call elections just four days before the Hindu festival of Divali.

"I find it was insensitive for Manning to call election on (that) day," said Singh.

I dunno if i imagine it...buh i almost positive i see an article with kamla. I go keep checking and see.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 10:57:14 PM »
What is d big issue the vast majority of hindu's eh voting PNM so why have d election after divali
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 07:48:34 AM »
What is d big issue the vast majority of hindu's eh voting PNM so why have d election after divali

???   

good one   :devil:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 07:49:14 AM »
Ganga Singh

Singh also criticised Prime Minister Patrick Manning's decision to call elections just four days before the Hindu festival of Divali.

"I find it was insensitive for Manning to call election on (that) day," said Singh.

I dunno if i imagine it...buh i almost positive i see an article with kamla. I go keep checking and see.

that not so bad.  last year was Ramadan, this year divali.  Who knows maybe next time it would be Easter   ::)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 08:34:37 AM »
PNM no more ready than anybody
Andy Johnson
Trinidad Express
Sunday, September 30th 2007

DAMNED if he didn't and dammed, now that he has. That's the dilemma, on the horns of which the Prime Minister rode into the last sitting of the Parliament on Friday, and later walked out from.

After 21 months of threats, titillation and mamaguy, Mr Manning announced in the House of Representatives on Friday that the date for general election would be Monday, November 5.

Right away, it angered a section of the country, this being four days before the Hindu holy day of Divali. So that after all this planning and teasing, strategising, testing and preparing, he walked right into another self-created ethno-religious storm. From the man who said months ago that race relations could be the number one problem in the country and that he was committed to finding ways of addressing them.

In explaining the reasoning behind choosing the date, the Prime Minister told reporters on Friday it was a subject that had been discussed extensively. He said this date, "had been determined a long time ago."

Well exactly how long is a long time ago. And why then unsettle the country with talk two years ago that it was going to come like a thief in the night. Perhaps the country is owed an explanation of what may have been the value for national development of politicking such as that.

Further, he said the matter was the subject of some measure of discussions. "There were some who felt that it should not be held on Divali day, but that it would be alright to be held during the period of fasting." There were, significantly, "different views on the matter," he said.

What these disclosures have also dispersed, is the other myth that the choosing of an election date is the sole preserve of the person in Whitehall. They run contrary to those notions which the country has been encouraged to cultivate. They say also that the Prime Minister was not, in fact, as terrified about discussing this national secret as the country was led to believe after the polls in 1995. Then we were told that the PNM lost government principally because someone leaked the date to the opposition.

Generally also, the state of national anxiety over the election date issue has generated a new consensus. What it has done more than anything else is to galvanise public opinion as never before, behind a point of view that the business of holding elections ought to be much more of a fixed arrangement than it is now.

It has significantly upped the ante on the question, raised after the general election of 2001, that the country is in desperate need of constitutional reform.

Six years have passed and the country is plunged into another election campaign, in fact it has been there for at least the last nine months effectively, with the constitution in the same battered and bruised shape. And with major developments taking place over this period, things have got worse on the question.

A judgment in the impeachment matter against the Chief Justice expected within the next five weeks, just heightens this sense of awareness.

Say what they will, the supporters of the PNM remain scandalised by the turmoil in the party over the feuding at the screening. No decisions were made, the Prime Minister told reporters following the ugly scenes outside Balisier House Thursday night. Valley, Hinds and Eddie Hart are still in the rain. For what no one really knows, or accepts.

The Prime Minister discounts the protests and the protesters. Those who came and caused a ruction don't add up to critical mass. He flung their discontent back into their faces. Processes in the party don't allow for action of that sort, he said disapprovingly.

Among that number, however, are to be counted the party's ground troops, the canvassers, the volunteer brigade.

Particularly in Diego Martin Central and in parts of east Port of Spain, the COP surge is palpable, but not palatable to those in command. Mutiny is being fomented in many of those shouting, aggravated minds who sneered at Martin Joseph's appeals for calm. They rejected his attempt to clothe himself in the authority of the party's General Secretary.

On the Tobago side, the boat is being rocked heavily as well. The outgoing Eudine Job-Davis complains publicly about "manipulation" of the nominations process and a coalition of forces has risen up to fight the PNM as a single objective. A huge question mark exists, however, as to whether the principals can pull together in time to move the mass with them.

But after six years, Tobago's return to the balisier is up for re-evaluation.

Into the next five weeks we go charging then. But here even with the power of incumbency and all the advantages flowing from that, including its own self-serving agenda setting for the elections, the governing party appears no more ready for the polls than any of its challengers.

Online asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »

I eh hear no politicians taking this "bait" so if it stay so then this election might have the least amount of race talk. This "issue" shouldn't make it past today paper....hopefully.

Yea put it up...I want to see how they handle. Manning heself was doing the whole "warning" chupidness at they last rally.
I guess we will see how mature the populace is....I figure they will express their fedupness.

Generally, I am struck by the degree of political maturity that has emerged in the country with respect to perceived electoral, political and quasi-political issues.

Over the past 45 years it is clear that there has been a rearrangement of the country's public political voice (I'm using voice as a term of art). Unless my memory of the past is chequered, my view is that there would not have been an articulation mirroring Kamla Tewarie's without having exhausted private advice.

Some posters seem to characterise her comments as disingenuous and geared to the real purpose of asserting racial rather the per se religious insensitivity - to the extent that both are severable. Other posters seem to suggest that the issue is capable of disappearing provided that it is ignored or minimized.

Without reservation, I disagree with the latter camp. With respect to the former I recognise the volatility involved; however, I am less dismissive of appreciating what is considered 'auspicious' or part of the celebrations.

While I'm not on here tapping @ the keyboard or doing whatever else, I've been reading A Suitable Boy ... it has War and Peace dimensions in terms of its length ... so perhaps Seth must have been a fan of Tolstoy's ... anyhow, a major part of the book treats the sort of political sensitivity that must be displayed/considered by politicians in India with respect to 'auspicious' dates, minor and major; perceived slights and oversights and implications/consequences. Prior to Kamla Tewarie's 'plea' I thought the lessons from that experience useful for some of the 'activity' I have been noticing on our front. Maybe, maybe not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Suitable_Boy

I believe that a line has to be drawn between the secular and the religious. I also believe that there has to be more education across the lines.

In reading Seth I have learned much about Trinidad & Tobago although it is written and contextualised in India. Go figure! There's a lot of stuff we believe to be indigenous or hybrid that is actually not.

So reading this thread and reading Seth I think about Naipaul - again. Now I'm resolved to go find a copy of Meighoo's Politics in a Half-made Society and see whether the circle is complete.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 09:45:53 AM by asylumseeker »

Online asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 09:46:17 AM »
I'm sure Manning has a calendar. But I see the political expediency as well.

Recent dates of elections in T&T:
October 7, 2002
December 10, 2001
December 11, 2000
November 21, 1995

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 02:55:22 PM »
Where did I say no hindus votin PNM. The vast majority is what I said and I live Couva North T'dad not Canada

1]; } ?>