July 27, 2024, 09:08:21 AM

Author Topic: Keane wants Lone striker role for Kenwyne Jones!!!  (Read 1592 times)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Keane wants Lone striker role for Kenwyne Jones!!!
« on: October 06, 2007, 10:10:02 AM »
Dis lookin' more and more like a Beenie set up!  ;D

Lone striker role for Jones
Sunderland Echo
Oct 6 2007

ROY KEANE looks certain to deploy a 4-5-1 formation against Arsenal tomorrow.
But if he does, he insists, it won't be with a siege mentality but to be strong defensively and cause the Gunners problems on the break.

He said: "I think you've got to think about difficult fixtures like these and how you approach them.
"I don't think you can go in there gung-ho and take the attitude of 'Ok you have a go at us, then we'll have a go at you, then you'll have a go at us again'.
"You have to look at ways of making yourself strong against a very attacking side away from home and it's only 4-5-1 when you haven't got the ball.

"When you look back at the game against Manchester United when we used that system, we did reasonably well, although we did make mistakes and ended up losing the game.
"But I think we could possibly have done more going forward and that's what we have to look at from now on when we play that way.

"I certainly wouldn't rule out playing that way again tomorrow – a lot of teams have set up like that and it can be quite positive."
If that's the formation tomorrow, then it seems certain that Kenwyne Jones will be asked to play the key lone-striker role, just as he did against United.

Keane said: "I thought Kenwyne did quite well in that game. It was his first game for us but in some ways a trip to Old Trafford is a good game to have as your debut because perhaps the expectations are not so high.
"He was up front on his own and we probably didn't support him enough, the service probably wasn't up to scratch but, as I say, we hope to improve that tomorrow – if we play with that system at Arsenal!"

The formation would mean more onus being put on Sunderland's five-man midfield to take the game to the Gunners whenever the openings present themselves and really look to support Jones.
Keane reflected: "We have a lot of attack-minded players but you need decent possession before you can use them effectively.

"I would probably be looking at Yorke sitting in front of the defence but then asking Ross Wallace, Michael Chopra and Grant Leadbitter – who can all score goals – to push on."
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keane wants Lone striker role for Kenwyne Jones!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:15:09 AM »
The "Lone striker role" created much offence yesterday. ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:17:18 AM by takenoprisoners »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Keane wants Lone striker role for Kenwyne Jones!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:26:34 AM »
The "Lone striker role" created much offence yesterday. ;D
yes it did
Go Kenwyne :applause: :applause:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>