April 28, 2024, 08:18:51 PM

Author Topic: Marion ADMITS drug use  (Read 8443 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Marion ADMITS drug use
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »
Marion Jones Admits to Steroid Use

By Amy Shipley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 4, 2007; 5:32 PM

Track star Marion Jones has acknowledged using steroids as she prepared for the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney and plans to plead guilty tomorrow in New York to two counts of lying to federal agents about her drug use and an unrelated financial matter, according to a letter Jones sent to close family and friends.

Jones, who won five medals at the Sydney Olympics, said she took the steroid known as "the clear" for two years beginning in 1999, according to the letter, which was read to The Washington Post by a person who had been given a copy. A person familiar with Jones's legal situation who requested anonymity confirmed the relevant facts that were described in the letter.

Marion Jones, who won five medals at the Sydney Olympics, says she took the steroid known as "the clear" for two years beginning in 1999, according to a letter Jones sent to close family and friends.

Jones said her former coach, Trevor Graham, gave her the substance, telling her it was the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and saying she should take it by putting two drops under her tongue. Graham, contacted by telephone today, said he had no comment.

Jones's admissions could cost her the three gold and two bronze medals she won in Sydney. In December 2004, the International Olympic Committee opened an investigation into allegations surrounding performance-enhancing drug use by Jones, once considered the greatest female athlete in the world.

In the past, Jones has vehemently denied using steroids or any performance-enhancing drugs.

Jones said she "trusted [Graham] and never thought for one second" she was using a performance-enhancing drug until after she left Graham's Raleigh, N.C.-based training camp at the end of 2002. "Red flags should have been raised when he told me not to tell anyone about" the supplement program, she said in the letter. She also said she noticed changes in how her body felt and how she was able to recover from workouts.

The clear, also known as THG, is a powerful steroid that was found to be at the center of the performance-enhancing drugs scandal known as Balco. More than a dozen track and field athletes have faced punishments for their use of the clear, which drug-testing authorities could not detect until Graham sent a sample of it to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in 2003.

Baseball players Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi admitted during grand jury testimony to using the clear, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Barry Bonds also admitted using a substance that he had been told by his personal trainer was flaxseed oil, the Chronicle reported.

The federal probe surrounding Balco, a nutritional supplements company based in Burlingame, Calif., has resulted in five criminal convictions. Jones's coach, Graham, was indicted last November on three counts of lying to federal agents connected to the investigation. He has pleaded not guilty, and his trial is scheduled for next month.

The head of Balco, Victor Conte, has repeatedly and publicly accused Jones of using drugs.

Jones, who recently married former sprinter Obadele Thompson, said in her letter that she planned to fly from her home in Austin and meet her mother in New York to enter the plea. She said she faced up to six months in jail and would be sentenced in three months. Federal sentencing guidelines call for a maximum of five years in prison for one count of lying to federal agents.

"I want to apologize for all of this," she said, according to the person reading the letter, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "I am sorry for disappointing you all in so many ways."

Reached at their Austin home, Thompson declined to comment on the letter, portions of which were read to him, saying "the process has to go through before you can make any comments. . . . I'm sure at the appropriate time, all necessary comments will be made." He did not dispute the contents of the letter.

The letter says that when Jones was questioned in 2003 by federal agents investigating Balco, she lied about using the clear even though agents presented her with a sample and she immediately recognized it as what she had taken at Graham's behest. The letter says she lied because she panicked and wanted to protect herself and her coach.

Jones also said in the letter that she lied about a $25,000 check given to her by track athlete Tim Montgomery, the father of her young son. Montgomery pleaded guilty in New York this year for his part in a multimillion-dollar bank fraud and money-laundering scheme.

Jones said she told investigators she knew nothing about the deposit, even though Montgomery told her it was from the 2005 sale of a refurbished vehicle and was partial payment for $50,000 she had lent him.

"Once again, I panicked," she wrote. "I did not want my name associated with this mess. I wanted to stay as far away as possible."

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:56:32 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
Re: Marion ADMITS drug use
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:10:02 PM »
Sad but I eh have no remorse nah US athletes have this by any means necessary attitude which is a double edge sword indeed. Saint one day sinner the nex

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 07:13:47 PM »
When Marion Jones take flaxseed oil, she could run!

When I take flaxseed oil, I does get the runs...

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marion Jones Admits to using Steroids!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:07:34 PM »
Marion Jones Admits to Steroid Use

By Amy Shipley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 5, 2007; Page A01

Track star Marion Jones has acknowledged using steroids as she prepared for the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney and is scheduled to plead guilty today in New York to two counts of lying to federal agents about her drug use and an unrelated financial matter, according to a letter Jones sent to close family and friends.

Jones, who won five medals at the Sydney Olympics, said she took the steroid known as "the clear" for two years beginning in 1999, according to the letter. A source familiar with Jones's legal situation who requested anonymity confirmed the relevant facts that were described in the letter.

Marion Jones, who won five medals at
the Sydney Olympics, says she took the
steroid known as "the clear" for two years
beginning in 1999, according to a letter
Jones sent to close family and friends.
(Arne Dedert - AFP)

"I want to apologize to you all for all of this," Jones said. "I am sorry for disappointing you all in so many ways."

Jones's admissions could cost her the three gold and two bronze medals she won in Sydney while enlarging the cloud of doubt hovering over Olympic and professional sports, which have been tarred in recent years with accusations of performance-enhancing drug use, steroids busts and positive drug tests by prominent athletes.

In December 2004, the International Olympic Committee opened an investigation into allegations surrounding steroid use by Jones, once considered the greatest female athlete in the world. In the past, Jones has vehemently denied using steroids or any performance-enhancing drugs.

"This is a shame," World Anti-Doping Agency Chairman Di[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]kPound said in a telephone interview yesterday. "This was America's darling at the 2000 Summer Olympics. . . . I hope this will have a deterrent effect. It's not merely cheating in sports, but now she has lied her way to exposure to penal sanctions."

In the letter, Jones, who will turn 32 next Friday, said her former coach, Trevor Graham, gave her the substance, telling her it was the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and that she should take it by putting two drops under her tongue. Graham, contacted by telephone yesterday, declined to comment.

Jones said she "trusted [Graham] and never thought for one second" she was using a performance-enhancing drug until after she left Graham's Raleigh, N.C.-based training camp at the end of 2002. "Red flags should have been raised in my head when he told me not to tell anyone about" the supplement program, she said. She also said she noticed changes in how her body felt and how she was able to recover from workouts after she stopped taking the substance in 2001.

The clear, also known as THG, or tetrahydrogestrinone, is a powerful anabolic steroid that was at the center of the federal investigation into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative, or Balco. More than a dozen track and field athletes have faced punishments for their use of the clear, which drug-testing authorities were unable to detect until Graham sent a sample of it to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in 2003.

Baseball players Gary Sheffield and Jason Giambi admitted during grand jury testimony to using the clear, according to reports in the San Francisco Chronicle. Outfielder Barry Bonds also admitted using a substance that he said he had been told was flaxseed oil by his personal trainer, the Chronicle reported.

The federal probe surrounding Balco, a nutritional supplements company based in Burlingame, Calif., has resulted in five criminal convictions. Jones, however, would be the first athlete, joining Balco founder Victor Conte Jr. and vice president James Valente; Bonds's personal trainer, Greg Anderson; track coach Remi Korchemny; and chemist Patrick Arnold, who designed the clear.

Jones's coach, Graham, was indicted last November on three counts of lying to federal agents connected to the investigation. He has pleaded not guilty and his trial is scheduled for November.

Jones, who recently married former sprinter Obadele Thompson, said in her letter that she planned to fly from her home in Austin and meet her mother in New York, where she was scheduled to enter the plea today in U.S. District Court. She said she faced up to six months in jail and would be sentenced in three months. Federal sentencing guidelines call for a maximum of five years in prison for one count of lying to federal agents.

Reached at their Austin home, Thompson declined comment on the letter, portions of which were read to him, saying: "The process has to go through before you can make any comments. . . . I'm sure at the appropriate time, all necessary comments will be made." He did not dispute the contents of the letter. He said Jones was unavailable to comment.

When questioned in 2003 by federal agents investigating Balco, Jones lied about using the clear even though agents presented her with a sample of the substance and she immediately recognized it as what she had taken at Graham's behest, Jones said in the letter. She said she lied because she panicked and wanted to protect herself and her coach.

Jones also said in the letter that she lied about a $25,000 check given to her by track athlete Tim Montgomery, the father of her young son who pleaded guilty in New York this year for his part in a multimillion-dollar bank fraud and money-laundering scheme.

Jones said she told investigators she knew nothing about the deposit, even though Montgomery told her it was from the 2005 sale of a refurbished vehicle and was partial payment for $50,000 she had loaned him.

"Once again, I panicked," she wrote. "I did not want my name associated with this mess. I wanted to stay as far away from it as possible."

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Jones Admits to using Steroids!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:46:57 PM »
I now coming to post this...

where Ato? he saying it long time
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marion Jones Admits to using Steroids!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:02:02 AM »
I realize it early, so allyuh eh make out the thread that was already started by one A.B.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=31262.0
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:50:44 AM »
A cheater and a liar.
Time to pay for all dat shit.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:44:43 PM »
Disappointing.  >:(
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »
Man that one hurts. That really hurts.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
thats bout all ah dem

ato boy you was the fastest in yuh prime

them fellers was cheating.
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 01:27:28 AM »
ok this is my personality "Didymus" typing now.
you mean to tell me that MORE atheletes were NOT taking performance enhancing drugs.......right....and i have some great water front property in florida for sale.
people like carl lewis and lance armstrong................right :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: hole on eh............... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 07:46:41 AM »
ok this is my personality "Didymus" typing now.
you mean to tell me that MORE atheletes were NOT taking performance enhancing drugs.......right....and i have some great water front property in florida for sale.
people like carl lewis and lance armstrong................right :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: hole on eh............... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I've long since had my suspicions about Mr. 19.32. Not only for the time itself, but for the fact that he jumped from 19.66 tp 19.32 in the space of a couple of months. He and Flojo were particularly suspect.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 08:36:18 AM »
I've long since had my suspicions about Mr. 19.32. Not only for the time itself, but for the fact that he jumped from 19.66 tp 19.32 in the space of a couple of months. He and Flojo were particularly suspect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeK0Kw2kMAQ&search=200
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 10:25:34 PM »
We all know dat every man she was with was on drugs I eh know what Obadele do marrying she it eh have nobody in B'dos he could a hook up wit
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 01:05:22 AM »
Well all of the BALCO people are busted now, and I think the fact that 2 olympic champions have been taken down, shows that finally the whole Protecting Athletes from Big Sports Powers era is over.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »
I have no proof except in my own mind.  But I am highyl suspicious about Michael Johnson's Atlanta 200 meter (19:32).  In my mind, in Atlanta 1996, Ato won a bronze 100 and a silver 200.  I will always be convinced of that.  Also, I have no confidence in the authenticity of Flo Jo's 100 meter record or any of her medals for that matter.   I believe that she was a cheat.  Athletes can have good days, but to so far outtdistance their own performances and every other person who trained just like they did is to myterious to be acceptable.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 10:24:13 PM »
Well all of the BALCO people are busted now, and I think the fact that 2 olympic champions have been taken down, shows that finally the whole Protecting Athletes from Big Sports Powers era is over.

Michael Johnson and Flo Jo get away.  Outside Athletics, Bonds and Mark McGwire get away.  Steups.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 02:12:57 PM »

Michael Johnson and Flo Jo get away.  Outside Athletics, Bonds and Mark McGwire get away.  Steups.
What Bonds get away with?  and McGwire?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 08:08:23 AM »
Just hear that the IOC have stripped Marion Jones of her 5 Olympic medals

And she is persona non grata at the Beijing Olympics

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 02:00:34 AM »
1. That actually happen a while back it was official today - I guess to have more bad track headlines  :-[

2. I sure if Marion buy a big expensive ticket and sit she arse in d stands the IOC ent go say nuttin....they mean she cyah come as the coach for Zimbabwe or in any official capacity...
BORN TO DO IT

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 07:31:19 PM »
Can she afford a big expensive tix? Jes a sad fricking scene jed.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 01:28:38 AM »
Marion Jones Wants Probation in NY Case
By JIM FITZGERALD – 7 hours ago

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) — Former Olympic champion Marion Jones says she has been punished enough and should not have to go to prison for lying about steroids and check fraud.

In court papers filed on New Year's Eve, Jones' lawyers asked a federal judge to let her off with probation when he sentences her next week.

"She has been cast from American hero to national disgrace," the memo said. "The public scorn, from a nation that once adored her, and her fall from grace have been severe punishments. ... She has been stripped of her gold medals, her accomplishments, her wealth and her public standing."

Jones admitted in court in October that she lied to federal investigators. Outside court, the former track and field star announced her retirement and said through tears, "It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust."

She has since relinquished her five Olympic medals.

As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors suggested she be sentenced to six months in prison at most. In pre-sentencing papers filed Dec. 21 prosecutors said anything between no time and six months would be appropriate.

That filing included a doping calendar from the files of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative indicating Jones used several performance-enhancing drugs. Prosecutors said the evidence shows "a concentrated, organized, long-term effort to use these substances for her personal gain."

They said her false statements "derailed the government's investigative efforts."

In the check fraud scheme, Jones admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of track star Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks.

Montgomery, who once held the world record in the 100 meters, pleaded guilty in the conspiracy.

Jones' papers include letters from friends about her good works improving sports facilities in Belize and working to immunize infants in Ghana.

Letters were included from Jones' husband, Obadale Thompson; Melissa Johnson, a friend and former teammate on the North Carolina women's basketball team who is now a Comedy Central producer; Henry McKay Jr., a former member of the UNC track team who is now CEO of Bancorp; and Sue Humphrey, head coach of the 2004 women's Olympic track and field team.

They said Jones is devoted to her two children and is essential to their care "in every way that a mother can be."

Poor Oba they ent even spell d man name right....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 01:40:24 AM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 07:33:04 PM »
i feel sorry for marion but i hope she get ah lil jail term...need to punish these athletes for drug use.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »
Cyah wait to read the book

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »
Shamed as a Pro, Marion Jones '97 Still Enshrined at Carolina

Speculate about why she changed, but don't question her successes at Carolina.

The name Marion Jones '97 is engraved in glass in the windows of the Track and Field Hall of Honor. One of the "Tar Heel Track & Field Olympians." 2000 Sydney. 2004 Athens. Her name is on a wooden plaque on the wall, black lettering against gold. Her face — victorious, arms outstretched — is on a Carolina blue banner that rings the Eddie Smith Field House indoor track, alongside a boldly lettered maxim: "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." She's in a picture with her 2000 relay teammates. Her image is on a banner that hangs from the rafters of Carmichael Auditorium.

It's staying up — at least, some of it is. Her former coaches are sticking by the fallen athlete, saying that her achievements made at Carolina will stand despite poor choices made in professional athletics. After Jones was disqualified by the IOC on Dec. 12 from her 2000 and 2004 Olympic events and stripped her of her five Olympic medals and 2004 fifth place in the long jump for using performance enhancing drugs, Carolina officials decided to take down pictures of Jones from the Olympics but will leave those that commemorate her successes at Carolina. They will consider how difficult it will be to take down her name etched on the windows of Olympic athletes, said Steve Kirschner, spokesman for the UNC athletics department.

"There is no reason that our banner should come down out of Carmichael," said Carolina basketball Coach Sylvia Hatchell. "And she — Marion — was one of the most coachable athletes I have ever coached in 33 years. She led our team to a national championship in 1994. We would not have won a national championship without Marion Jones. But all this happened after she left Carolina. So there is no reason that anything having to do with Marion at North Carolina should be changed."

Hatchell, track and field Coach Dennis Craddock and Athletics Director Dick Baddour '66 agreed months ago to take down only the images if Jones returned the medals. "We'd decided some time ago to do whatever the IOC wanted to do," Baddour said. "We wanted to respond in kind with what they did with her medals."

Jones' claim to fame came after college, and so did her problems, Craddock said, who coached Jones in track and field at Carolina.

"I bragged on Marion through all time. Because she said she was clean; she had gotten to where she was through hard work. Being her former coach, I never said, ‘I don't agree with this.' I believed her, and I think she was great role model at college here because she was a great student as well as a great athlete. We can always speculate on why she changed."

During Jones' professional career — becoming the first woman to win five medals in track and field at the 2000 Olympic after she was a poster girl for Kellogg's, Gatorade, Nike, AT&T and others — she denied using performance enhancing drugs. But earlier this year, Jones pleaded guilty to falsely denying she had taken drugs and for other false statements she made to federal agencies during the investigation of BALCO Laboratories Inc.

She admitted she'd been taken the drug known as "the clear," given to her by previous coach Trevor Graham prior to the 2000 Olympic Games, and had taken the drug for about a year. Jones also pleaded guilty to making false statements in an investigation of a check fraud and million-dollar money laundering scheme that resulted in the conviction of her former sports agent and her former boyfriend, Timothy Montgomery.

Her admission came after a 2002 federal criminal investigation uncovered information related to Graham. Evidence from the investigation uncovered Jones' relationship with BALCO and Graham and her receipt and use of the drugs.

Jones is set to be sentenced Jan. 11. She faces a maximum of 10 years in prison for the false statements.

On Dec. 12, the executive board of the IOC disqualified Jones from the Olympic events in which she'd participated. She'd won the gold in the 100-meter, the 200-meter and the 400-meter relay, and she won the bronze in the 100-meter relay and the long jump at the Sydney Olympic Games. In 2004, she won fifth place in the long jump at Athens. Jones had to give all the medals back. According to an IOC news release, the board has stricken her from participation in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and possibly from all future Olympic Games, depending on the outcome of further investigations.

The board has not yet decided whether it will adjust the rankings of the athletes who finished behind Jones in the individual events.

Before her Olympic career, Jones was a starting point guard for Hatchell as a freshman, helping to carry the women's basketball team to win the national championship in 1994. On her second day of basketball practice, Hatchell asked Jones to play point guard, although she had played under the net and on the wing in high school, according to her 2000 biography See How She Runs: Marion Jones & the Making of a Champion by Ron Rapoport.

"She was just off the charts as far as her leadership abilities, her work ethic, how coachable she was, how she got along with her teammates," Hatchell said. "She was without a doubt the best."

Jones came to Chapel Hill on a scholarship as a double-edged sword: playing basketball as well as competing in track and field. In track and field, she ranked fourth in the country in the long jump her sophomore year and broke the Atlantic Coastal Conference record in the event.

Jones received her first recruitment letter as a freshman in high school, and according to her biography, it took one visit for her to choose Carolina. In becoming a Tar Heel, she had left a trail of high school victories in basketball and track and field in her home state of California, qualifying for the U.S. Olympic team in 1992 but choosing not to go as a relay alternate.

Jones red-shirted for the 1995-96 basketball season to train for the 1996 Olympics, but she couldn't go because of a broken foot.

She graduated in 1997 with a major in communications. She married former Carolina assistant track and field coach C.J. Hunter.

After college, she trained in Raleigh under Graham. In 1997, she won the U.S. championship in the 100-meter dash, and in 1998, she competed in 37 events and won 36 of them, according to Rapoport's book. She started her Olympic career in 2000 in Sydney.

Hatchell said Jones' downfall was a combination of poor choices and surrounding herself with the wrong people.

"I think that in my eyes that's her only downfall," Hatchell said. "And I think some of that was because Marion was such a good person. She trusted people. ... I think that was the biggest mistake she made, was that she trusted people and some of the people that she trusted brought her down."

Hatchell believes Jones will learn from her mistakes and move on.

"You could strip her of a lot of things, but you can't take away her heart. But as far as her heart for sports and competing, you know, I've never had anybody better than Marion Jones as far as the heart. And the athlete she was — she was without a doubt the best."

Craddock said he is hopeful she will be able to redeem her reputation.

"All we can do is say that Marion did a good job as a student athlete for us and we're sorry this happened to her when she got in her professional ranks and she's young and she's got time to rehabilitate herself and do something positive for young athletes forever," he said.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »
Jones' Judge Wants More Sentencing Info

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — The federal judge who will sentence former Olympic champion Marion Jones is considering punishing her twice - once for lying about her steroid use and once for lying about her role in a check-fraud scheme.

Judge Kenneth Karas served notice Thursday that he might go beyond the six-month maximum prison term suggested in Jones' plea deal, saying he "is not bound by that agreement"

He ordered both sides to advise him by Wednesday on whether he can do that, as well as on whether he can order Jones to serve the two sentences consecutively - one after the other. The sentencing is scheduled for Friday.

Jones pleaded guilty in October. Prosecutors said guidelines called for sentencing her to six months at most, and in papers filed last month they told Karas that anything between no time and six months would be appropriate.

Jones has asked the judge to let her off with probation, saying she has suffered enough with her fall from grace and her loss of five Olympic medals.

In the check-fraud scheme, Jones admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of track star Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks.

Karas noted the charges came after separate investigations.

"The court recognizes that there is a plea agreement between the parties," he wrote. "The court, however, is not bound by that agreement."

Jones' attorney, Henry DePippo, would not comment beyond saying he would comply with the judge's order.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 04:05:37 AM »
Jones' Judge Wants More Sentencing Info

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — The federal judge who will sentence former Olympic champion Marion Jones is considering punishing her twice - once for lying about her steroid use and once for lying about her role in a check-fraud scheme.

Judge Kenneth Karas served notice Thursday that he might go beyond the six-month maximum prison term suggested in Jones' plea deal, saying he "is not bound by that agreement"

He ordered both sides to advise him by Wednesday on whether he can do that, as well as on whether he can order Jones to serve the two sentences consecutively - one after the other. The sentencing is scheduled for Friday.

Jones pleaded guilty in October. Prosecutors said guidelines called for sentencing her to six months at most, and in papers filed last month they told Karas that anything between no time and six months would be appropriate.

Jones has asked the judge to let her off with probation, saying she has suffered enough with her fall from grace and her loss of five Olympic medals.

In the check-fraud scheme, Jones admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of track star Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks.

Karas noted the charges came after separate investigations.

"The court recognizes that there is a plea agreement between the parties," he wrote. "The court, however, is not bound by that agreement."

Jones' attorney, Henry DePippo, would not comment beyond saying he would comply with the judge's order.

That judge nah play tuh rass. Man looking to send she away for ah long time.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 02:17:55 AM »
Drugs and the American dream

EVEN by the standards of moral equivocation that have become the norm in so many drug-addled sports, the 12-page memo sent by Marion Jones' legal team to a New York judge in an attempt to keep her out of prison is a classic.
It portrays the most celebrated female athlete of her generation as a misfortunate figure more sinned against than sinning, the victim of a heartless media conspiracy to paint her as a villainess, and a devoted mother of two battling bravely against tragic circumstance. Moving between the layers of lawyer-speak and attempted pathos, it's almost possible to forget for a moment this is the person who made the conscious decision to perpetrate the greatest fraud in modern Olympic history.

When Judge Kenneth Karas sentences Jones at the US Federal Court in White Plains, New York next Friday, not for fooling fans for over a decade, but for lying to federal agents about her steroid use and her role in an elaborate cheque scam, it's likely he won't be swayed by the grandiloquence of the brief. Or be impressed by the fact newspapers have been full of the lawyers' argument that Jones has already suffered enough for her crimes.

"The guilty plea in this matter and the circumstances surrounding it have been a very painful and life-changing experience for Marion Jones-Thompson," wrote F. Allen Hill and Henry J. DePippo in their plea for leniency. "She has been cast from American hero to national disgrace. This part of her story will forever be one of personal tragedy. To be clear, the public scorn, from a nation that once adored her, and her fall from grace have been severe punishments. She has suffered enormous personal shame, anguish and embarrassment. She has been stripped of her gold medals, her accomplishments, her wealth and her public standing."

She may have expanded her name since marrying the Barbadian Olympic bronze medallist Obadele Thompson last February but can they really be talking about the sprinter whose use of performance-enhancing substances was so calculated she used to have her blood analysed by a private laboratory just to be sure she remained one step ahead of the testers? The same woman who took to wearing make-up for the first time in her life once the steroids caused her to break out in terrible acne. The athlete who at various times was regularly destroying rivals while using a cocktail of Human Growth Horome, insulin, erythropoietin (EP0) and THG, the so-called designer steroid from the BALCO laboratory in California.

Never mind the trifling matter of Jones getting America to adore her by falsifying the record books, Hill and DePippo contend her exemplary behaviour since being implicated in the money-laundering scheme involving fellow disgraced sprinter, ex-boyfriend and father of her four year old son, Tim Montgomery, is somehow worthy of clemency. As evidence of her penitence, they cite the speed with which she handed back her five besmirched medals from the Sydney Games and the dramatic, tearful admission made to the public live from the courthouse steps back in October. So rarely does any modern athlete confess to steroid use it's nearly possible to buy into this argument. Nearly.

The whole episode still reeks of one of those death-bed conversions where the soon-to-expire atheist suddenly demands to see a priest. She had nothing to lose and everything to gain by changing her story so completely once put on the rack by the feds. Coming clean was really the last card she had left to play. All but finished as a competitive runner, her mea culpa satisfied the government's desperation to properly snare at least another high-profile athlete from the BALCO affair and seriously reduced the length of her prison sentence. It also kick-started the second act of her own life because once Karas delivers his verdict, the real fun will start.

First, there will be a book deal. In America, there's always a book deal. No matter how enormous the lie told or the fraud committed, publishers queue up for the rights to tell the tale. Cognisant of how well Jones will perform in front of the camera (an ability that makes her theatrics on the courthouse steps look like so much crocodile tears) when flogging the story on television, they will be talking about advances well into the six-figure range. Nothing plays better in these parts than a good morality tale laced with a nice dose of self-flagellation.

Anybody who believes Jones didn't figure all this into her decision to end the long-running charade that was her career is just being naive and doesn't know how the American media industry works. Sometime in the next year, there will most probably be a space reserved for her on Oprah Winfrey's couch. That will be where the book is launched from. To the sympathetic nods of the host, she will no doubt explain her bad choices as the consequence of overwhelming pressure to please greedy sponsors and the malign influence of the myriad bad men with whom she had romantic and professional relationships. And a lot of viewers will take this at face value and empathise.

Then there'll be a movie. It may not be a Hollywood blockbuster with Spike Lee at the helm. It might just be a small-scale television job on CBS some Sunday night. But there will be a movie and the rights to that will refurbish her bank balance quickly enough too. The athlete commercially savvy enough to earn $80,000 just to turn up for a race and $3m a year in endorsements from Nike must have realised once the federal agents were on her trail there was far more money to be had by quickly embracing contrition rather than persisting with increasingly ridiculous and financially embarrassing denials.

The role of cash in Jones confession to all the sins she spent years convincingly denying in press conferences shouldn't be underestimated. Not when the highest-paid female runner ever is so broke that one lawyer was actually pursuing the five Olympic medals (now the property of the International Olympic Committee) in lieu of $250,000 owed to a former coach. She lost two houses to foreclosure in the past year, admitted to a judge in a bankruptcy case to having no clue where her fortune went, and surely realised the job market for a disgraced athlete and proven liar doesn't extend far beyond cashing in on the story.

Her lawyers may be desperately trying to keep her out of jail but ultimately a few months behind bars will make for one more interesting chapter in the inevitable book.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 11:52:07 AM »
Joes eh a rapper so going to jail would not give her any credibility.So really what is next whats does she have a degree in btw.  Don't know if any options would be available  any way she marry a bajan so she can go to Barbados...get away from the spot light

But If Tyson made a come back so to could Jones not on the  track ....may be as coach in Barbados..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »
Barbados hates the fact that their Oba is even associated with her and you think that Barbados, the most conservative island, is going to let her coach their children. Wait for that one....never happen.

Belize coach maybe, or maybe she can be a basketball assitant coach at North Carolina that is a real option. not Barbados.
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>