April 28, 2024, 10:19:12 PM

Author Topic: Marion ADMITS drug use  (Read 8444 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Marion ADMITS drug use
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »
Time to pay the piper today.....MARION WILL BE SENTENCED, and I think she will do some time...is 2 cases she has - one check fraud and the steroids as well....

Marion Jones should stop trying to pull a fast one
LA Times - January 11, 2008
By Philip Hersh

The disgraced Olympic track star needs to tell the whole truth about her use of performance-enhancing drugs if she wants a judge to go easy on her.

Marion Jones' attorneys said in a court filing last month there was no reason for her to serve jail time and she should get probation.

Kenneth M. Karas, the federal judge handling the case, has made a request that suggests he may give her more jail time than the six-month maximum prosecutors recommended when she pleaded guilty Oct. 5 to lying about money laundering and doping.

The prosecutors told Karas on Wednesday that Jones should not get more than those six months agreed on by both sides.

Jones, the disgraced Olympic champion, is to find out at a Friday hearing what her sentence will be.

If I were the judge, I would favor leniency on these conditions:

* That Jones tell the entire truth about her use of performance-enhancing drugs.

* That a percentage of any future income is garnished until she can return some of the $700,000 the international track federation contends was ill-gotten gain.

* That she do a substantial amount of community service.

But no more trying the Barry Bonds defense, that she didn't know until 2003 that the substances coach Trevor Graham gave her were banned performance-enhancers.

And no more insisting she used banned substances only in part of 2000 and 2001, which seems highly unlikely because her performances beginning in 1998 were unbelievable, in every sense of the word.

That may not be enough for Karas, given the allegations in a sentencing memorandum filed last month by prosecutors.

According to the memorandum, Jones used more drugs than she admitted to in October and used them knowingly to "further her athletic accomplishments and financial career."

If that is accurate, it means Jones told only part of the truth to Karas in court three months ago, which might make the judge more than a little disinclined to go easy on her.

In asking for leniency, Jones' lawyers said, "She has lost her livelihood. She has been ruined financially. She has lost her reputation."

And why shouldn't she have lost all those things, having been exposed as a duplicitous fraud and something of a pathological liar?

That ugly picture of who Marion Jones really was -- not the track superstar who was the first athlete on the cover of Vogue -- will haunt her future. But it serves no useful purpose to put Jones in jail, provided she finally faces her past.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-hersh11jan11,1,724333.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jones's Soaring Career Has Turned Into Cautionary Tale
NY Times - January 11, 2008
By Lynn Zinser

Once, Marion Jones ran through the streets for a commercial, her girl-next-door smile and spectacular talent sprinting across television screens throughout America. She would become the most glamorous Olympian in 2000, winning five medals, including three golds, and a rare track and field star who was a household name.

From that height, Jones's fall has been spectacular. She will be sentenced Friday at the United States District Court in White Plains after pleading guilty to two counts of perjury in October. For years she had defiantly denied using performance-enhancing drugs, but her plea came with a sobbing admission on the courthouse steps that she had used drugs, had been involved in a bank-fraud scheme and had lied to government investigators.

She also retired from track and field that day. There would be no more running. The tearful, regretful Jones officially replaced the conquering one.

"It's sad because you know so many youngsters looked up to her, and their hopes were crushed," said Kevin Young, the 1992 gold medalist and world-record holder in the 400-meter hurdles, who said he had known Jones since she was 11. "She'll always be a role model, because of who she is. Even now, she can say, 'I made a mistake. I took drugs.' We all need to be out there telling kids, 'You don't need to do this.' "

For years, Jones had been saying that. Insisting she was clean, Jones spouted an antidrug message. Now, she stands as the prime example of what drug use can cost.

Judge Kenneth M. Karas will decide Friday whether to follow the recommendation in Jones's plea deal that she serve zero to six months. He could choose up to a year, giving her six months for each count, or not follow the recommendation at all. Prosecutors recently offered the judge more evidence of Jones's drug use - doping calendars and a doctor's testimony that signaled use of EPO and human growth hormone. Jones's lawyers have argued that the consequences of her plea have already been steep enough.

Jones turned over her five medals from the 2000 Olympics, and the International Olympic Committee and the track federation wiped from their books her results dating from Sept. 1, 2000. A 32-year-old mother of two young sons, she is reportedly broke, having squandered the millions she earned in winnings and endorsements.

"She has shown that the risks of being caught cheating are too high," said Travis Tygart, chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency. "Her case more than any other shows that the first step down the path of deceit is that first decision to cheat. That started everything else. She had to lie to cover up that cheating.

"I hope young athletes see that and decide not to go down that path."

Perhaps the saddest part of Jones's story is that many believe she could have accomplished everything she did without drugs. She had been such a transcendent talent, setting national high school records in the 200 meters and the long jump in California and winning a national championship in basketball at the University of North Carolina before turning professional as a runner. She dominated the world scene in the 100 and 200 meters and vied for titles in the long jump before her admitted drug use.

That talent came in such an appealing package, with a luminescent smile and a charming personality, and marketers helped turn her into a mainstream star. Nike created the advertising campaign that made her an icon by the 2000 Olympics.

But she also surrounded herself with questionable people.

Jones's first husband, the shot-putter C. J. Hunter, tested positive for steroids and was banned from the Sydney Olympics. She later had a relationship with Tim Montgomery, with whom she had her first child. He was banned from track for life for drug use and was convicted in the bank-fraud scheme that also snared Jones. She was coached for many years by Trevor Graham, who will go on trial in March for perjury stemming from the investigation of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative. Later she turned to Coach Steve Riddick, who was also convicted in the bank-fraud case.

"She made bad decisions, and we become the decisions we make," said Pat Connolly, a veteran track coach who once coached Evelyn Ashford and who has known Jones since her high school days. "That's Marion's story.

"It is sad, but people like Marion Jones and Barry Bonds are also victims of an establishment that not only allowed drug use but quietly condoned it. They allowed the idea to spread that everyone else is doing it."

Connolly said that one of track's biggest black eyes was that many of its world records are widely suspected to be drug-aided. Jones wanted to set world records that probably cannot be reached naturally, Connolly said. She suggested wiping out all the records and starting anew.

Connolly is also among the growing chorus of people who are frustrated with the ineffectiveness of drug testing and want sports to adopt profiling, where athletes would provide a full health history of blood tests and other baselines throughout their careers that would better indicate if they use drugs. It is a concept supported by Don Catlin, who used to run the antidoping laboratory at U.C.L.A. and now does drug research.

"The injustice is that the innocent can't prove their innocence," Connolly said. "The whole approach to drugs has to be redone."

Tygart said he hoped the current system had reached a turning point with the Balco investigation and Jones's admission. He said he believed an overwhelming majority of athletes compete without drugs.

"We are all desperate to believe and want to believe in these athletes and these performances," Tygart said. "But who can you believe? I think we're at a significant point. I hope there will be an answer for that."

For now, Jones serves as a cautionary tale that even the brightest smile can be hiding a lie.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »
6 months, 400 hours of community service and 2 years probation....I find that very fair given what she did.

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) -- Marion Jones was sentenced Friday to six months in prison for lying about using steroids and a check-fraud scam, despite her plea that she not be separated from her two young children "even for a short period of time."

"I ask you to be as merciful as a human being can be," said Jones, who cried on her husband's shoulder after she was sentenced.

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas gave her the maximum under her plea deal "because of the need for general deterrence and the need to promote respect for the law."

As she beseeched the judge for a lighter sentence, the disgraced former Olympic champion talked at length about her children, including the infant son she's still nursing.

"My passion in life has always been my family," Jones said. "I know the day is quickly approaching when my boys ask me about these current events. I intend to be honest and forthright ... and guide them into not making the same mistakes."

The sentence completes a stunning fall for the woman who was once the most celebrated female athlete in the world. She won three gold and two bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

After long denying she ever had used performance-enhancing drugs, Jones admitted last October she lied to federal investigators in November 2003, acknowledging she took the designer steroid "the clear" from September 2000 to July 2001. "The clear" has been linked to BALCO, the lab at the center of the steroids scandal in professional sports.

She also admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son Monty, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks. Montgomery and several others have been convicted in that scam. They include Jones' former coach Olympic champion Steve Riddick, who was to be sentenced later Friday.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
Fellahs,   
            I don't care what all yuh say. I real hurting. I am in her corner.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 07:35:20 AM »
She lied to the world and disgraced herself and her country. I really don't see a need for prison time though.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »
Deeks no shame in you saying that, 'cuz it's still a tragedy - I am not sorry for her doing time or having a fall from grace after cheating and forcing people to go back to their 9 to 5 who she beat, but at the same time this is someone I have known since I was 17, and her husband is a pesonal friend.....if she was a normal poerson she would have gotten MORE jail time for the lying to feds so trust me, she got off easy.  Count how many have gone to jail for lying to feds, start with Martha Stweart who is rich, white and a billionairess!

Oh BTW Jones former coach Steve Riddick got 5 years by comparison - in the same case....

THE Australian sporting fraternity yesterday expressed zero sympathy for disgraced American athlete Marion Jones, who will spend six months in jail for lying about her steroid use.

Jones, the queen of the Sydney Olympics sprints, is off to jail on March 11, despite her plea not to be parted from her two sons - the youngest just seven months old and still being breastfed.

Raelene Boyle, who won three Olympic silver medals for Australia on the track, said she had suspected Jones was a drug cheat when she called the Sydney Games sprint events in 2000.

"My assessment of Marion was that with her particular running style, you don't run as fast as she was running," Boyle said yesterday.

Jones won five medals in Sydney, including golds in the 100m and 200m and as part of the 4 x 400m relay.

But she has since been stripped of the medals after admitting she had used performance-enhancing drugs.

Boyle, 56, said Jones got what she deserved.

"She lied. She cheated everyone she competed against," said Boyle, who was denied Olympic gold by the drug-tainted East Germans during her career.

"She put herself in a position where, really, she had to go to jail.

"I've never met Marion, but I have friends who have, and I believe she's a very nice person.

"The sad thing is that very nice people cheat, the same as not very nice people."

Asked whether she felt any sympathy for Jones, Boyle replied: "I have sympathy to the greater number of athletes (who don't cheat)."

Jones admitted in October her former coach Trevor Graham first gave her steroids in 1999, telling her it was flaxseed oil.

She said she had taken the steroid known as "the clear" - or tetrahydrogestrinone - from that time until 2001.

Two-time Olympic swimming champion Kieren Perkins, who won silver in the 1500m freestyle at Sydney, said star athletes such as Jones were not above the law.

"She's going to jail because she committed fraud by lying. That's the law," Perkins said from the US yesterday.

"You don't lie under oath. That rule stands for everybody and anybody. It's not a special scenario for an athlete."

Perkins, who watched Jones run during the Sydney Games, said he saw no reason for people to feel sorry for her.

"I don't feel sorry for anybody who cheats, who takes the risk and tries to cheat others out of their rightful medals," Perkins said.

"It's not like she's gone in blindly without understanding the consequences.

"There's no doubt her jailing is something that makes you feel bad, especially for the children, but I don't have any sympathy for her."

Swimming Australia head coach Alan Thompson, who was a team manager at the Sydney Olympics, said Jones's jailing sent a timely anti-drugs message in the lead-up to this year's Beijing Games.

"We need to make sure that these people are rubbed out of . . . sport," Thompson said.

"It's a shame that someone who was looked upon so greatly is found to be cheating."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:38:03 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 07:13:23 PM »
Marion Jones' has left all of athletics exposed
By Sue Mott

Marion Jones incarcerated. Dwain Chambers reactivated. Oh what a lovely sport. How would you describe your anticipation levels looking forward to the athletics at the Beijing Olympics? Are you thrilled at the prospect or might it take a large injection of artificial stimulant - a cattle prod, perhaps - to be anything but drearily cynical about whichever pumped-up vest happens to cross the line first?

We must apologise to all (the few? some? any?) clean athletes, but the fact that Marion Jones sailed through approximately 160 drug tests in her lying, cheating, medal-festooned career has somewhat taken the edge off our excitement.

If drug tests really are that completely useless, then why has the pretence been maintained that athletes who pass them must be clean?

The inconvenient truth that testing negative means nothing is really the key finding of the Marion Jones episode.

They might have caught a Russian shot-putter of the old school, the sort whose feminine regime including shaving off a beard every morning and singing baritone in the shower. Those were the unsophisticated days. But against the concerted production and consumption of 21st century designer steroids, not to mention the forthcoming attraction of gene doping, they have been exposed as impotent.

The world governing body, the International Association of Athletics Federations, have tried to subvert our natural conclusion by declaring the downfall of Jones as proof that no drugs cheat will ever prosper. It proves nothing of the sort.

Jones was not caught by the system to trap drug cheats. She was brought to belated justice by a criminal investigation into the tax anomalies of a Californian laboratory, Balco, which produced the designer drugs.

Meanwhile we, the sap viewing public who were invited to applaud her five-medal haul in Sydney eight years ago, might be entitled to ask - and not for the first time - how we are supposed to keep faith with the sport of athletics when this woman has run illegally-aided rings round it for so long?

The IAAF stood back and allowed their chief female superstar to systemically stoke up on rented rocket fuel while forming romantic attachments to two proven cheats, CJ Hunter and Tim Montgomery, not to mention hiring Ben Johnson's old trainer as her coach. How many more alarm bells do you want to ring? Short of glowing a radioactive green on the start line, she could scarcely have done more to alert the authorities to her immoral tendencies.

As damage limitation exercises go, this was up there with suicide. But let us not be lulled into thinking this is just a problem for the international community. We have our own little domestic problem to deal with. Dwain Chambers is back in training, apparently in the belief of representing Britain in the World Indoor Championships this spring.

Of course, the disgraced British sprinter caught and banned as part of the same Balco investigation, cannot compete for his country at future Olympics due to the British Olympic Association's lifetime restriction. But it would take only one clever lawyer to point to the precedent of the case of Christine Ohuruogu, the 400 metres sprinter reinstated as an Olympic athlete after missing three drugs tests, and he might be back. All gold-toothed smiles and who-knows-what thighs.

Athletics is riddled, almost rotten, with suspicion. This is a sport that has historically and continually bowdlerised the concept of fair play and do not expect the men's Olympic 100m champion, Justin Gatlin, to restore our hopes and dreams in Beijing. He's out, banned, for testing positive for the banned substance, testosterone.

There are two versions of how this came about. Gatlin's camp claim he is the victim of a vengeful physiotherapist who sought to smother him in shame even as he was slathering his client in testosterone-laced massage cream. The other view is that he took it, like every other cheat, to gain an unfair advantage. In the current climate, it is not difficult to guess which version most right-thinking people will run with.

In the process of going faster, higher, further, some in athletics took the 'higher' a little too seriously. Athletics looks addicted to drugs.

Those desperate to retain their belief in athletics are hanging on to very slender resources. Namely, Paula Radcliffe. If that woman has so much as sniffed an air freshener, we would be amazed given her puritanical zeal in the realm of long-distance running.

It would be gratifying to say the same about all our British athletes but the barbs of suspicion have been too often sharpened by the sport's pusillanimous response to areas of danger (Linford Christie, Chambers). From the moment the Diane Modahl case bankrupted the predecessor of UK Athletics after the Commonwealth 800m champion successfully sued over a positive drug test, the governing bodies have been running from the lawyers. Right into the arms of the sit-still-and-hope-it-goes-away brigade.

The most evil and systematic drug regime of all time, that of the East Germans, was exposed only because the Stasi couldn't resist keeping notes. There has been a consistent failure of will round the world to eradicate the wrong-doing, to the betrayal of those athletes, however few they may be, who happen to believe in playing straight.

Many have talked of the Jones affair as being one woman's personal tragedy. It isn't. It is one woman's monumental deception and a whole sport's cultural exposure.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=conte

Also....

When ego is the enemy
News & Observer – January 16, 2008
By Patrick O’Neill

When a brash 18-year-old Marion Jones held her first press conference in 1993 as a UNC-Chapel Hill freshman, she was already a seasoned veteran when it came to media savvy. Her smile was contagious, and her confidence was exceeded only by her raw athletic ability.

Local track aficionado Jim Spier said that in Jones, UNC was signing its greatest athlete ever -- in any sport. That's why she was holding a press conference, something rare for a new college athlete, and it came before she had played a game or run a race on the collegiate level.

Those of us in the press who knew Jones primarily as a track star were surprised when she spoke mostly of her plans to lead the UNC basketball team to an NCAA title, something she did just a little more than a year later as the Tar Heels' lightning-quick point guard.

Jones, who was also a UNC track All-America, probably would have led the track squad to an NCAA crown had she not left school early to become a professional sprinter. As a pro, Jones quickly established herself as No. 1 in the world. The promise Jones showed as a California prep phenom was no fluke.

Fifteen years later, when Jones should be in the prime of her sprinting career, the now 32-year-old mother of two sons has been sentenced to serve six months in federal prison for lying about her use of performance-enhancing drugs and for her involvement in a check fraud scheme.

There is no single reason that explains why Jones has fallen so far, but one thing is clear: Jones did not have to take drugs to be a champion.

l l l

THAT'S THE SAD IRONY IN HER STORY. Even without the drugs, Jones would have likely been an Olympic sprint champion, and a runner to reckon with anytime she stepped onto the track.

Her ego was always her worst enemy. She bristled when people tried to give her advice, and she had a long memory when it came to people she believed had slighted her. In her book, "Life in the Fast Lane," Jones often complains about other people in her life.

At UNC, she started dating her eventual first husband, C.J. Hunter, who was a married UNC assistant coach. Several people told her that was a bad idea. She did it anyway.

Winning races and becoming a celebrity was not enough. Jones always wanted more, hence her goal of winning an unprecedented five Olympic gold medals at the 2000 Sydney Games.

Jones did win five medals, two of them bronze, but her drug use has now tainted the other women who ran on the two Olympic relays with Jones, and her three other medals were ill-gotten, which means that other great American athletes were deprived of a chance to compete in the 2000 Olympics because a drug-aided Jones took their spots on the team.

Why did such a natural athlete, with endorsement money pouring in, risk it all to run even faster? Here's a hunch. In 1998, Jones was quoted in a New York Times story as saying she wanted to break the world records in the 100 and 200 meter sprints.

As great as Jones was, she never would have attained the title of world's fastest woman ever. The records Jones was targeting in the 100 and 200 were established by the late Florence Griffith Joyner in 1988 when FloJo ran the superhuman times of 10.49 (100) and 21.34 (200). Few believe Griffith Joyner was "clean" when she ran those incredibly fast times.

Jones' bests of 10.65 and 21.62, set in 1998, are great times, but in sprinting, where records usually fall by one- or two-hundredths of a second, Jones' best times are still light years away from Griffith Joyner's records. Sadly, the only way Jones could have made that happen was by using drugs.

l l l

HER CRIME WAS NOT VICTIMLESS, and even before her legal problems she was not a good role model for young girls. She had too much money and too much fame at too young an age. Still, the six-month prison sentence is unfair. A mother needs to be home with her young children. Jones should have received a sentence that would have required her to make restitution and amends to those she has hurt.

Track and field has taken some very bad hits in the last few years, and some of the most prominent athletes who cheated were from the Triangle. Jones, Hunter, Jones' former boyfriend Tim Montgomery and Justin Gatlin all trained under former Sprint Capital coach Trevor Graham.

I don't know whether track and field will ever recover from this scandal. Maybe in Europe, where "athletics" (as track and field is known) is popular, the sport may continue to thrive, but in the crowded U.S. sports market track seems to have fewer and fewer followers who really love it.

With luck, the continuing popularity of cross country and track and field among schoolkids and at the collegiate level will someday carry the sport to a better future.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/columns/story/885955.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:33:37 AM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
marion gorn to jail
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
Ex-Track Star Marion Jones Enters Prison

At least this week the clock move forward so she will serve 6 months less a hour  ...

By JEFF CARLTON – Friday March 7, 2008

DALLAS (AP) — Marion Jones began her six-month sentence in federal prison Friday, punishment for lying to investigators about using performance-enhancing drugs and her role in a check-fraud scam. The former Olympic track star turned herself in before noon Friday at Federal Medical Center Carswell, located on the Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth, Bureau of Prison spokeswoman Traci Billingsley said.

Under the terms of her sentencing, she had until Tuesday to surrender to prison officials.

Although the prison specializes in medical and mental health services, it also has inmates who do not require such care. Billingsley said she could not comment on whether Jones was receiving specialized care.

Jones won three gold and two bronze medals in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, becoming perhaps the most famous and marketable female athlete in the world.

After frequently denying ever having used performance-enhancing drugs, Jones admitted she had lied to federal investigators in November 2003. Jones also admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks.

Jones was sentenced in January to six months of prison time and 400 hours of community service in each of the two years following her release. She was sentenced to six months on the steroids case and two months on the check fraud case, but was permitted to serve those sentences concurrently.

Federal Judge Kenneth Karas imposed the maximum sentence suggested in Jones' plea deal, ignoring her lawyers' request for a probation-only sentence. The check-fraud scheme was a major crime, and the wide use of steroids "affects the integrity of athletic competition," the judge said.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2008, 08:13:01 PM »
Any suggestions for her 400 hours of community service?
BORN TO DO IT

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 09:47:05 AM »
Any suggestions for her 400 hours of community service?

high school coaching?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

1]; } ?>