March 28, 2024, 11:06:40 PM

Author Topic: Jennings back in town...whats the 411?  (Read 5565 times)

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jennings back in town...whats the 411?
« on: October 12, 2007, 05:26:30 PM »
Local-based, I got a message from home that Andrew Jennings (Author of FOUL and nemesis of JW) was/is in T&T this week.. any news on the purpose of his visit?  ???

Incidentally, EVERY one on this forum should read FOUL by Andrew Jennings...then you'll BEGIN to understand just what a creature FIFA is and just how UNTOUCHABLE JW is in the whole scheme of things under the current regime I say BEGIN, because since it's publication last year,there have been some interesting developments, particularly the mastercard debacle and the change of General Secretary. You should also check out "Zero to hero"... or did I get that backwards? :devil:

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jennings back in town...whats the 411?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 06:53:56 PM »
There will be a new Panaroma programme on the 22nd October, I think in UK. I believe its looking at the FIFA ethics committee and will include a piece about the blacklist with coments from Shaka or Kenwynne.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:23:12 PM »
good advice...FOUL is a must read
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 01:44:30 AM »
There will be a new Panaroma programme on the 22nd October, I think in UK. I believe its looking at the FIFA ethics committee and will include a piece about the blacklist with coments from Shaka or Kenwynne.

Thanks bro! UK-Based please take note and be sure to tape/post a video.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 05:39:25 PM »
I eh here nutten I eh see nutten in d papers. He in town election season intresting
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »

Thanks bro! UK-Based please take note and be sure to tape/post a video.

Panorama investigate FIFA
The Press Association

Oct 16

England's proposed bid for the 2018 World Cup faces stormy waters ahead with the BBC planning to broadcast a Panorama programme investigating senior FIFA figures.
Panorama have sent letters to FIFA president Sepp Blatter, general secretary Jerome Valcke and executive committee members Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer asking them to respond to a number of claims.
In the letters, copies of which have been seen by PA Sport, say Panorama "are examining whether England can expect 'fair play' from FIFA" in bidding for the 2018 finals.
Panorama also say they will be investigating the conduct of FIFA officials following the US court case between FIFA and MasterCard that ended with football's world governing body agreeing a £45million settlement with the credit card giant.
The programme is due to be screened on October 29, right in the middle of the FIFA executive committee meeting in Zurich that is expected to agree to the end of rotation of the World Cup between continents.
Panorama also carried out an investigation into the International Olympic Committee while London were bidding for the 2012 Games.
The then British Olympic Association chairman Craig Reedie accused the BBC of undermining London's bid by causing "irritation" at the IOC.
However, in this latest case, it is understood that Blatter has already made it clear that he will not hold an England bid in any way responsible for the programme.
A senior FIFA source told PA Sport: "FIFA will not hold this against an England bid for the World Cup. We are aware enough to realise that Panorama have nothing to do with an England bid."

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 09:59:05 AM »
Thanks Eman!!! Looks like things heatin up AGAIN .. let the games CONTINUE!!! ;D

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 07:42:47 AM »
However, in this latest case, it is understood that Blatter has already made it clear that he will not hold an England bid in any way responsible for the programme.
Dont believe a word of it Seep Bladder
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »
No WC for England   :devil:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 11:01:40 PM »

CONCACAF Statement

19.10.07 - RE: Letters from BBC Panorama

Panorama's letters to Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer asking whether England can expect Fair Play in a potential bid to host World Cup 2018 are truly curious given that Warner and Blazer are the only two remaining members of the FIFA Executive Committee of the original five that voted for England's previous World Cup bid (for 2006).

The other three, Charlie Dempsey (New Zealand with Scottish birth), David Will (FIFA Vice President from the British Associations) and Isaac Sasso Sasso (Costa Rica, also from CONCACAF) no longer sit on the decision making body. Dempsey left shortly after his refusal to vote in the round following England's elimination for 2006, while Will and Sasso retired from the FIFA body this year.

Certainly, if anyone personifies fair play towards England, Warner and Blazer, who supported England's 2006 bid and in doing so stood against the 19 other members opposed, are the ones.

Panorama might have asked instead, will it be Fair Play if CONCACAF, the Confederation next in sequence for rotation of World Cup hosts, is denied the right for one of its members to host 2018 in favor of another system instigated by the desire of others to overturn a policy intended to establish fairness?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 09:07:29 PM »
Former SFA chief reopens row over corruption in world football
ALAN MACDERMID (The Herald)

October 22 2007

The former president of the Scottish Football Association, John McBeth, is set to reignite the controversy over corruption in international soccer tonight.

Interviewed for BBC TV's Panorama, he revisits the allegations he made earlier this year which led to his vice-presidency of Fifa, football's world ruling body, being blocked.

This time he singles out Jack Warner, president of CONCACAF - the regional ruling body covering North and Central America and the Caribbean - whose accusations of racism and bigotry cost Mr McBeth his Fifa post.

He said that when Trinidad and Tobago played Scotland in a friendly in 2004 Mr Warner had asked for the proceeds due to the Trinidad and Tobago FA to be paid directly into his personal account. Mr McBeth refused but claimed he learned later that Mr Warner had gone round several other members of the SFA staff with the same request.

The programme looks at allegations of bribes and kickbacks to Fifa officials, allegations of vote-rigging, business deals and favours for support.

Mr McBeth was due to represent the four home nations on Fifa when he made his bombshell remarks in May.

He was due to step down from his role as SFA president to take over in Zurich from compatriot David Will, with the intention of tackling corruption in the world game.

Asked about ethical standards in international football, he said the four British countries knew what fair play was but some poorer nations were in it for themselves.

"As soon as you hit Africa it's a slightly different kettle of fish. They're poor nations and want to grab what they can. I know two or three whom I'd want to count my fingers after shaking hands with them. I presume the Caribbean is much the same - they just come at it in a different way."

He also said he had won the Fifa vote because other nations hate England. "When you deal with the English it tends to be their game'.

"To put it mildly, they made a mess of it and I wandered through the middle. It's a very funny story." He added: "I'll have to be kinder to the English. I try to keep telling them their notion of themselves is unbelievable. The rest of the world hates their guts."

His remarks provoked an angry response from Mr Warner, who is from Trinidad and Tobago and is one of seven Fifa vice-presidents.

"Why did he only mention African and Caribbean countries? To me, that smacks of racism of the worst kind," he said. "We all feel deeply insulted and we will support any moves to send him back to Scotland where he belongs."

The result was Mr McBeth's place in Fifa was taken - ironically - by Englishman Geoff Thomson, chairman of the FA.

Mr McBeth tells Panorama: "I was talking about the football people that I've met and dealt with in Africa and in the Caribbean, it was football people I was talking about. I wasn't talking about the nation."

Mr Warner could not be contacted for comment yesterday. He faces a disciplinary investigation over allegations he resold 180 World Cup tickets. His family travel agency was given the rights to sell Trinidad and Tobago's entire allocation.

The main thrust of the Panorama report is whether England has a chance of hosting the World Cup in 2018 - possibly their only chance of winning it, as they did in 1966, says the programme.

When England tried seven years ago, the bid failed amid claims of dodgy deals and bribes among Fifa's leaders.

It asks whether Fifa's own ethics committee, chaired by Lord Coe, might be given a role this time in overseeing the bidding process. But the report says its real influence is under question.

It has so far failed to investigate some of the most serious allegations against Fifa.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 09:28:44 PM »
whats this im hearing??

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 10:18:18 PM »
FIFA and Coe 
What chance does England have of hosting the World Cup in 2018?
BBC News

Panorama: FIFA and Coe, Monday 22 October, BBC One at 8.30pm

Bringing the tournament back, may be the only chance of winning it.

But when England tried seven years ago, the bid failed amid allegations of dodgy deals and bribes among FIFA's leaders.

On Monday's Panorama, Andrew Jennings asks what chance England has of securing the 2018 competition.

Ethics Committee

The programme looks at allegations of bribes and kickbacks to FIFA officials, allegations of vote-rigging, business deals and favours for support.

FIFA's own Ethics Committee, chaired by Lord Coe, might be given a role this time in overseeing the bidding process.

But some have already questioned its real influence.

It has so far failed to investigate some of the most serious allegations against FIFA.

Football taboo

The programme also talks to John McBeth who earlier this year broke football taboo and spoke frankly to journalists before taking up his appointment to represent the four home nations at FIFA.

Asked about ethical standards in international football, he said the four British countries knew what fair play was but some poorer nations were in it for themselves.

McBeth said at the time: "As soon as you hit Africa it's a slightly different kettle of fish. They're poor nations and want to grab what they can.

Coe's Ethics Committee has not investigated serious allegations
"I know two or three whom I'd want to count my fingers after shaking hands with them.

"I presume the Caribbean is much the same - they just come at it in a different way.

"If I come across corruption I have to expose it. I must try to stay true to my beliefs and hope I don't get seduced."

McBeth has known FIFA president Sepp Blatter for 10 years.

The former Clyde chairman said: "He's a tricky customer but I suppose anyone in that position has to be because you're dealing with people who have a totally different code of ethics.

His comments were branded racist a FIFI official but McBeth tells Panorama: "I was talking about the football people that I've met and dealt with in Africa and in the Caribbean, it was football people I was talking about. I wasn't talking about the nation."

Panorama: FIFA and Coe, Monday 22 October on BBC One at 20:30 BST

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 01:02:13 PM »
If anyone outside the UK wants to see the BBC One broadcast of Panorama live you can get a 7 day free trial for BBC internet streams here:
It's coming up in half an hour.

https://www.liveuktv.com/

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 01:31:12 PM »

progamme starts now....shaka is on it as well
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 01:32:25 PM »
first three shots: blatter, warner, shaka: "less than 500 pounds a man"

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »

they've subtitled warner's controversial  comment about England being an 'irritant'

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 01:45:28 PM »
McBeth said that after TnT played Scotland in Friendly, Warner asked him to make a personal cheque to him as opposed to the TTFF.  Mcbeth refused and Warner apparently even asked other Scottish FA officials to do the same.

McBeth eventually sent the cheque to the TTFF . McBeth said that it appeared that JW had been operating as an agent for the TTFF, which had been unheard of for any other FA

McBeth reveals for the first time how Mr Warner, who represents Fifa in North and Central America and the Caribbean, had asked him to pay a match fee directly into his personal account.
He said: "Trinidad and Tobago came to play Scotland at Hibernian's ground in Easter Road in Edinburgh. And after the game he asked me to make a cheque out to his personal account for the game.
"And I said 'We don't do that, it should go to the association'.
"I then found out later that he'd approached several other staff in my organisation - to do exactly the same thing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/7056420.stm

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:48:25 PM by FLi ! »

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »
Shaka interviewed in Trinidad on the beach talking about the court action etc

apparently the piece would be rebroadcast online on the bbc website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/default.stm
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:12:56 PM by FLi ! »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »
Warner denies fee allegations
A vice-president of FIFA allegedly asked for the fee for an international friendly to be paid into his personal bank account.
teamtalk.com

John McBeth, who retired as Scottish FA president in May, told the BBC TV programme Panorama that Jack Warner asked for the fee for Trinidad and Tobago's friendly match in Edinburgh in May 2004 to be paid directly to him.

Warner insists the claims are "a patent lie".

McBeth said on the programme: "There are one or two people on that [FIFA] executive committee that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them.

"Trinidad and Tobago came to play Scotland at Hibernian's ground in Easter Road in Edinburgh. And after the game he asked me to make a cheque out to his personal account for the game.

"And I said 'We don't do that, it should go to the association'.

"I then found out later that he'd approached several other staff in my organisation... to do exactly the same thing."

McBeth and Warner have clashed in the past - McBeth was to be the four home nations' British FIFA vice-president but was dropped in May after he made comments implying African and Caribbean nations were tainted by corruption and greed.

Warner, the president of the CONCACAF federation of countries from north and central America and the Caribbean, made an official complaint to FIFA saying the comments "smacked of racism".

McBeth told Panorama: "I was talking about the football people that I've met and dealt with in Africa and the Caribbean. It was football people I was talking about. I wasn't talking about the nation.

"I'm not a racist bigot and I think it probably says more about Jack and him trying to deflect away the criticism that I was making of corruption."

Warner rejected the allegations. He told PA Sport: "The statement is a patent lie issued by someone whom I got removed from the FIFA executive committee and whose memory has suddenly come to life."

Meanwhile, Sebastian Coe has defended his role as head of FIFA's watchdog body and insisted he is not merely a figurehead.

Lord Coe is chairman of FIFA's ethics committee and Panorama claim there are a number of cases he should be investigating.

Panorama say they are "examining whether England can expect 'fair play' from FIFA" in bidding for the 2018 World Cup and the conduct of FIFA officials following the US court case between the organisation and MasterCard that ended with FIFA paying a £45million settlement.

Coe, a Chelsea season ticket holder and chairman of the London 2012 Olympic organising committee, said: "The committee takes its role very seriously. And I will never be just a figurehead. I want to make a difference.

"The FIFA role was something I was asked to do and anybody who knows me, knows I've been watching football regularly for 40 years and I think there's a job to be done there. But it won't happen overnight.

"It's taken a good chunk of the last year to make sure we're in a position to operate in an independent and sensible way."

Warner cash claim cuts no ice at FIFA
By: Charles Sale (Daily Mail)

22:02pm 22nd October 2007

FIFA will once again ignore controversy involving their tarnished vice-president Jack Warner, who was named in Monday night's BBC Panorama programme as wanting a personal cheque following a Trinidad and Tobago friendly against Scotland.

The accusation was made by former Scottish FA president John McBeth. He claimed that CONCACAF chief Warner made the demand after the match at Easter Road in May 2004, asking for the appearance money to be paid to his personal account.

McBeth said: 'I later found out he had approached other Scottish FA staff to do the same thing.' Instead, McBeth sent the payment to the T&T Football Federation, adding: 'If they owed Warner money then they could pay it to him.'

Despite this adding to a catalogue of misdemeanours involving Warner, FIFA will take no action, such as referring the matter to their ethics committee, chaired by Sebastian Coe.

This time it is felt McBeth is a discredited witness, having lost his place as the British home nations representative on the FIFA executive after making racist remarks about African and Caribbean corruption in football to a group of Scottish journalists.

A FIFA insider said: 'We are absolutely unconcerned about this programme.'

Warner said: 'It's lies issued by someone whom I got removed from the FIFA executive committee and whose memory has suddenly come to life.'

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 06:51:46 PM »
The FIFA ethics committee appears to be a Catch 22 situation. When FPATT approached them to intervene on behalf of the players blacklisted for absoloutely no legitimate reason, we were told that a complaint to the ethics committee must come from a national federation. In essence, that meant that TTFF had to bring a complaint about themselves.

FPATT also wrote to both the English and Scottish F.A.s, as players in their associations were being treated unfairly, but they told us they were unable to become involved.

So you have a situation where FIFA put in place an "impartial" forum that can only be accessed by FIFA members associations.  This is probably the reason why Coe would not agree to an interview. You have a system that will only investigate an association, if an association brings a complaint. How is that ethical? What rights of appeal do a player or a club have? 

A national association will never bring a complaint against another association on behalf of a club or player because it would be too politically damaging. So FIFA have created a police force that will never  investigate anyone. Another fine use of FIFA funds.

As the programme proved, there is no level playing field in World football.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 08:59:01 PM »
No level playing field understaement of d year. So why d man will lie on Jack again everybody know all d money does go tojack a/c either as a direct deposit or a standard order from the TTFF a/c to Jack a/c either way he have d money and it funding the UNC campaign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 01:59:27 AM »
Andrew Jennings "Mr Warner why did you spit on me ? "

Jackula " because you are garbage "

Warner is class through and through ...................facking idiot
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:46:12 AM by superoli »
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 04:07:14 AM »
Andrew Jennings "Mr Warner why did you spit on me ? "
Jackula " because you are garbage "
Warner is class throgh and through ...................facking idiot
If in fact he did spit on Jennings, I would think that the Judiciary system would consider that an "Assault"
maybe he should ask Jackula to meet him in San Fransisco ;)

"Yes, spitting in the face is crime, court rules
Fri Mar 9, 2007 7:45am EST
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A man who intentionally spat at another can be charged with criminal assault, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

Jeffrey Lewellyn was sentenced to two years probation and 50 hours of community service after he spat in 2004 at a patient who swore at him on the grounds of a Veterans Administration Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington.

He appealed the conviction, arguing that spitting did not constitute an assault, but the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed.

"Intentionally spitting on another person is an offensive touching that rises to the level of simple assault," the three-judge panel wrote.

© Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Reuters journalists are subject to the Reuters Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests."

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN0727718920070308
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:10:35 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 05:45:43 AM »
Interesting show last night, as usual Jack was an embarrassment but at least this time some other officals get some heat. That now EX-Scottish FA rep said that he has had no follow up from either FIFA or any of the British associations to clarify his posistion over Warner's comments, they seem to have just excepted Jack's comments as gospel! Seemed more bitter about the UK associations ganging up and getting rid of him without giving him the chance to defend himself than about Warners comments.

Says a lot about what people expect from our beloved Mr Warner.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 06:23:31 PM »
More background on Andrew's interview with McBeth:

'Warner asked me to make a cheque out to his personal account. I said we don't do that'
Sunday Herald

Panorama investigative journalist Andrew Jennings tracked down John McBeth to talk about corruption in world football. And once again, Jack Warner's name cropped up, he writes

THE MONTHS passed. Silence from the nearly-man, the almost Fifa vice-president. And then John McBeth agreed to meet. For a while we talked, off camera. We went away, checked, made more inquiries, developed thoughts we'd been maturing and revisited information already in hand.

Then we filmed with him, high up at Hampden. What McBeth told us that day triggered filming trips to the banks of the Rhine in Basel in Switzerland, a white beach in the Caribbean, a scruffy inner-city tarmac football pitch in London - and Aviemore. Aviemore? For a film about the turmoils of Fifa? Yep. Aviemore and Grantown-on-Spey. No, I didn't expect we'd go there either. But we had to.

John McBeth lost his nomination as a Fifa vice-president because another Fifa vice- president, Jack Warner, let rip in May, labelling him a racist and a bigot.' This came after McBeth was - perhaps a little ill-advisedly - quoted at length on corruption and problem regions, including Warner's CONCACAF.

advertisementAnybody who knows McBeth knows Warner's charge is a nonsense. The Scot is a man of ingrained faith and integrity, without a racist bone in his body. He talked frankly about what any well-travelled official or reporter knows. That there are serious corruption problems in world football and especially in Warner's empire in the Caribbean. With characteristic fairness, McBeth added that he wanted time to understand, to know more about the ethics of the developing world, before going any further.

Those observations would have triggered minor irregularities in the heartbeat of football's ruling caucus. But surely, with an annual sweetner of $100,000 a year, a $500 honorarium for every day away from home and cosseted in the world's finest restaurants and hotels, he'd soon see things the Fifa way. Everybody else does. McBeth admitted he feared being seduced by the regal lifestyle of the game's bosses.

But what McBeth said next moved the tectonic plates beneath the Fifa fortress on the hill above Zurich. McBeth breached the rule all of Fifa and most national associations impose on themselves. They see, hear, speak no truths about the rottenness at the heart of Fifa. They obey the Omerta of Zurich. There is no corruption at Fifa. Official.

Hands up everybody out there, beyond the ranks of the blazers, who truly believe this. A great stillness. All hands still in pockets. Not a movement.

Asked by reporters how he would cope with allegations of corruption at Fifa, McBeth, you may recall, said that if he found it, he'd feel duty-bound to expose it. And, bang, Warner was out of the traps, baying with simulated rage. Simulated because Warner loves racist comments so much he frequently makes them himself. He's been filmed at it, reporters have faithfully written down his taunts about other people's skin colour. He doesn't care. Fifa's ethics code outlaws racism. Unless the vile words are spoken by Jack Warner. He's a protected species.

Why Warner's objection at this time? In his interview at Hampden, McBeth told us his theory. Warner was "trying to deflect away the criticism that I was making of corruption".

What was there to deflect? What criticism could McBeth possibly make? What did he know that might come tumbling out if the big Scot got his feet under FIFA's boardroom table - but not his nose in the trough? Why did Warner want McBeth silenced?

Cast your minds back to that brilliant sunny afternoon at Easter Road in late May 2004 when a team from Trinidad & Tobago met Scotland's finest. Despite the pall hanging over Berti Vogts, the Scots were soon singing, "It's like watching Brazil".

Darren Fletcher was the star, getting his goal after six minutes. Gary Holt doubled the score on 14, nine minutes later Gary Caldwell made it three. Not a happy day for Clayton Ince in the T&T goal. And then Nigel Quashie made it four, 11 minutes before half-time. Stern John pulled one back in the second 45. And that seemed to be that.

But not, says John McBeth, for Jack Warner. The SFA were due to pay money to the T&T association for the game. "After the game he asked me to make a cheque out to his personal account for the game," said McBeth. "And I said, We don't do that, it should go to the association.' Then I found out later he'd approached several members of the other staff in my organisation."

McBeth did authorise a payment. "I sent to the Trinidad & Tobago Football Association and if they owed him money then they could pay it to him."

The slick action by the English, Irish, Welsh and Scottish associations to knee-jerk to Warner and oust McBeth from Fifa wasn't the only cruel blow. Those nice people at Nyon, overlooking Lake Geneva, ousted McBeth from Uefa committees. Perhaps it's time David Taylor had a word in Michel Platini's ear. Michel,' he could say, we've wronged a good man. And he has expertise and experience that Uefa can use. Let's give the finger to Fifa and reinstate him. It would be an honourable thing to do.' John McBeth's story isn't the only one we tell in Panorama. There's a couple more Jack Warner scandals to chew over. And Panorama has been busy investigating the prospects for an English bid to host the World Cup of 2018. Can they expect a level playing field? We've gone back and looked at England's last bid, to host the 2006 championship. We've obtained evidence of some curious payments arranged by the German bidding team on the eve of the vote in 2000. They won.

So it seemed right to go digging into Fifa's claims to be a moral, ethically regulated organisation. It didn't take long to unearth further scandals that cast a dull light over the bidding process kicking off next year.

We've unearthed new documents from a trial in New York late last year. The MasterCard company had gone to court claiming that Fifa breached their sponsorship contract. We'll show on screen the evidence that Fifa officials may have forged dates and signatures on a contract, in an attempt to fool the judge. They lost - and ended up shelling out $90 million - yes, $90 million - to settle the case. Our expert on Swiss law says that if false evidence was presented to the court, top Fifa officials could end up in jail.

At the heart of that case is Jerome Valcke, then Fifa's top salesman. After the judge accused him of multiple mendacity, president Sepp Blatter sacked Valcke, saying "Fifa could not possibly accept such conduct among its own employees".

But the spirit of forgiveness flourishes in Zurich. Mr Valcke is now second only to Blatter. He's Fifa's general secretary.

The English took McBeth's precious seat at Fifa and at his first meeting FA president Geoff Thompson, McBeth's replacement, was part of the unanimous decision to anoint Jerome Valcke.

You might think that the Warner scandals - and let's not forget his industrial-scale World Cup tickets rackets - would be meat and drink for Fifa's new Ethics Committee, presided over by the well-rewarded Lord Coe, who brought the Olympic budgetary blow-out to London. And you might think that the MasterCard debacle should be on his agenda. Is it? Are they? He doesn't say.

It looks like some rich nations with a track record of business corruption - think of Russia and China for a start - are going to bid to stage the 2018 World Cup. Formidable opponents when it comes to putting smiles on the faces and bulges in the wallets of some of the 24 men who rule Fifa and vote who gets the tournament.

Gordon Brown says he wants it too and former Sports Minister Dick Caborn, the Prime Minister's official ambassador to Fifa, is equipped with the first tranche of taxpayer's money. England spent £3 million last time.

Perhaps the FA should engage John McBeth as a consultant. He'd help them keep on the straight and narrow. But if Lord Coe does what he says he is going to do and casts a beady, ethical eye over the process, everything will be alright. Won't it?

Panorama's FIFA & Coe will be broadcast on BBC1 at 8.30pm tomorrow.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:43:53 PM by E-man »

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 06:39:02 PM »
Go Jack go!!!
Is local news even carrying these stories?

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 11:08:26 AM »
I just realised that the full transcript of this Panorama programme at the link below. It is a long, but good read:  :beermug:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/7061626.stm

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2007, 01:07:37 PM »
I just realised that the full transcript of this Panorama programme at the link below. It is a long, but good read:  :beermug:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/7061626.stm

JEREMY VINE: Hello I'm Jeremy Vine and this is Panorama. Tonight, the real winners in world football, and the losers.

ANDREW JENNINGS: How much?!

SHAKA HISLOP: Less than £500 a man....

JENNINGS: We played the heritage card last time we bid, but videos don't win world cups.

ALAN TOMLINSON, Professor of Sport
At the heart of FIFA's big decisions are lots of interests of individuals and groups from different parts of the world, and it's not always the "good of the game " ....

JENNINGS: These are the stars of the game. But these are the men with the power. That decision rests with them. Some have been accused of pocketing bribes, their boss of bosses won power in a dodgy election, and tonight we'll hear how another was branded a liar by a judge, and this is their fortress. ............... Two years ago the police raided its offices as part of a corruption investigation.

JENNINGS: Good morning President Blatter. Why did FIFA repay the ISL bribes? Did you ever take bribes from ISL?

JENNINGS: Football's rulers have a credibility problem. But who cares? After all, FIFA have been putting on the greatest sports show on earth for years without fail ? the World Cup. So does it really matter what some of them get up to? To some people it does. ......................John McBeth. He broke a football taboo and spoke frankly about FIFA to journalists, just before taking up his appointment.

JOHN McBETH, President, Scottish FA 2003-07; ........ they asked ethically could I possibly be taking up a job with FIFA with when there was so much corruption in the place.... 

JENNINGS: You also said if you shook hands with some members of the FIFA Executive Committee you count your fingers afterwards. What did you mean by that?

McBETH: There were one or two people on that Executive Committee that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them...

JENNINGS: Not all the men who run football are tainted by allegations ? but many are. Last year Panorama was told that former FIFA President Joao Havelange had taken at least one big bribe ................... Vote rigging helped Sep Blatter become FIFA President in 1998. The man casting the vote for Haiti was someone else, an aide to Vice President Jack Warner. He could lose his chance to host the cup if FIFA decides to open the bidding to all.

JENNINGS: It means trying to do deals with the voting blocks and individual voters. And sometimes getting out the check book and delivering what the voters ask for. Jack Warner, Soccer boss of the Caribbean and Central and North America controls three votes, just as he did for the 2006 vote.

Did Jack Warner do well out of the English bid?

TOMLINSON: Jack Warner did very well, he's a very, very experienced operator in this world and what he got out of the English bid was forms of football development support and money and expertise and so on, and some business were the centre of excellence that he's located in Trinidad. But this is something that was paid for essentially by FIFA, moneys that Jack Warner himself controls with his own family and runs it like a personal business.

JENNINGS: .......... you get demands to play unwanted friendlies against the national teams of some voters. Saudi Arabia's vote demanded a game at Wembley. We had to say yes. We had to pull Manchester United out of the FA Cup and send them off to play in a FIFA competition in Brazil. .....

JENNINGS: ......Corruption at FIFA is a taboo topic. ........

JENNINGS: Did you have any personal experience in your time as Chairman of the Scottish Football Association of funny goings on involving senior FIFA people?

McBETH: Yes, well it depends how you interpret it. I mean Jack Warner came across to Scotland to play Trinidad and Tobago came to play Scotland at Hibernian's ground, in Easter Road in Edinburgh, and after the game he asked me to make a cheque out to his personal account for the game. I said we don't do that, it should go to the Association. I then found out later that he had approached several of the other staff in my organisation...

JENNINGS: Your Scottish officials.

McBETH: Yeah, to do exactly the same thing. But of course when I got back to Hamden I instructed our accountant to send it to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association and if they owed him money then they could pay it to him. The best I could put on there was that he was acting as an agent for Trinidad and Tobago and...

JENNINGS: And did you ever act as an agent for Scottish football when you were its Chairman?

McBETH: Never, never, that would never happen.

JENNINGS: No response to us from Mr Warner. His votes have been vital in keeping the boss, Sepp Blatter in power. With John McBeth on FIFA's Executive Committee some of its members might have had a problem.

McBETH: I hoped that I would, if I'd come across corruption, I would have tried to stop it, and if I couldn't stop it, I would have to expose it.

JENNINGS: How do you think that went down in Zurich?

McBETH: Well I don't think they liked it too much.

JENNINGS: Mr Warner, good morning. Welcome to Zurich.

No wonder, Jack Warner has got a track record for breaching FIFA's ethics rules.

JENNINGS: Can we ask you yet again, how much profit did you make selling World Cup tickets this year?

Last year FIFA's ethics committee found him guilty of touting thousands of World Cup tickets to his family travel company in Trinidad. McBeth managed to get hold of a copy of the meeting's deliberations.

McBETH: I came to the conclusion at the end of it that he was as guilty as sin. I then realised that that ethics committee reported to the Executive Committee, and as far as I could see, the Executive Committee turned round and said Mr Warner has been working under a delusion... a misunderstanding for the last 15 years and they gave a slap on the wrist.

JENNINGS: Why would you spit on me?

WARNER: Because you're garbage.

JENNINGS: Last year FIFA abolished the Ethics Committee but found Jack Warner guilty. They set up a new one to enforce a code of ethics. It bans FIFA officials from taking bribes. They must be honest at all times. It says they mustn't abuse their position for personal gain, and avoid any conflict of interest between their work for FIFA and their own personal business. The man in charge? Our own Seb Coe. I went to Trinidad to meet a man who had high hopes of his fellow athlete. Shaka Hislop has played in goal for Reading, New Castle and West Ham. Last year he played for Trinidad and Tobago in the World Cup. They were national heroes, but what happened to the money?

SHAKA HISLOP, Trinidad & Tobago World Cup Squad,Well before the World Cup we negotiated with Jack Warner for a percentage of the commercial revenues generated as a result of our taking part in the World Cup. When we got back we were told that that amassed less than £500 a man.

JENNINGS: How much?!!!

HISLOP: Less than £500 a man.

JENNINGS: Warner said there was only 22 million Trinidad dollars to share out. The players claim the figure is more than 200 million.

HISLOP: We wanted to have somebody independent have a look at the books and tell us whether those figures were right or wrong, which of course Mr Warner and the TTFF flatly refused. So we had to hire a lawyer and initiate court proceedings.

JENNINGS: What did Jack Warner say about you when he heard that you'd hired lawyers to fight your case?

HISLOP: Well we were immediately labelled as a ?mercenary few', he accused us of being greedy, of holding the TTFF to ransom and effectively we were ruled out of any future participation in international football.

JENNINGS: The blacklisted players were prevented from playing in the regions equivalent of the European Championship, CONCACAF's Gold Cup.

What is the effect on your colleagues, your fellow players?

HISLOP: Well certainly footballers have a very short career and of course the Gold Cup is the marked event of the region, and second only to the World Cup for players of this region to showcase their talents to other clubs, to scouts, to managers in an effort to advance their own careers, and the also were robbed, robbed of that right.

To read the statements in response to this investigation visit bbc.co.uk/panorama

JENNINGS: Warner now says he'll lift the ban on them. Could this be a case for the man fronting FIFA's new improved ethics committee? .....

JUDGE: Mr Blazer's testimony was generally without credibility based on his attitude and demeanour and on his evasive answers on cross-examination.

JENNINGS: So did MasterCard get fair play from FIFA? The judge agreed Jerome Valcke and others had lied and lied again. FIFA had breached its contract with MasterCard. With the court's judgment in my hand I went to Switzerland, home of FIFA, to talk to legal expert Dr Marco Balmelli. He specializes in commercial and criminal law and is a member of the Basel Institute of Governance which campaigns for ethical standards in business.

FIFA launched an appeal, got the case referred back to the courts in New York, but then thought better of it. Rather than face another beating from the judge, Blatter settled the case with MasterCard and paid them 90 million dollars to go away. But that isn't the end of the affair. During the trial an even more serious allegation surfaced.

BALMELLI: They alleged FIFA having falsified documents and deceived the court.

JENNINGS: If these documents are falsified, what is the implication?

BALMELLI: Then it's a crime in Switzerland, it's a serious crime with a sentence up to five years.

JENNINGS: Five years in jail?

BALMELLI: Mmm hm.

JENNINGS: If England do bid to host the World Cup, do you think they'll get fair play from FIFA?

JENNINGS: Could be a waste of time without FIFA being cleaned up first.

JENNINGS: What hope then for FIFA policing itself and ensuring fair play ..... Shaka Hislop had similar questions.

SHAKA HISLOP:  We wrote to FIFA asking them to refer to the Ethics Committee because we felt we'd done nothing wrong.

JENNINGS: Why the Ethics Committee?

HISLOP: Because we felt we certainly had broken no rules and were being heavily punished for it.

JENNINGS: And is your complaint going to the Ethics Committee?

HISLOP: No, they wrote back to us and said that it was an in-house problem and that Mr Warner would have to decide on whether he broke any rules.

JENNINGS: And what about the MasterCard allegations?

Dr MARCO BALMELLI, Basel Institute on Governance It's certainly very serious and it's a prime example for an Ethic Committee to look into.

JENNINGS: They should be taking it up?

BALMELLI: Of course, I hope they already did.

JENNINGS: And if they don't

BALMELLI: Then it's a question... is it only a farce, or is it a real Ethics Committee?

HISLOP: We are the footballers, we are the ones who step over the white line, and FIFA were saying that all of a sudden the administrators had become far more important than the players.

JENNINGS: Do you have any rights?

HISLOP: I certainly believe so, and I certainly feel that Seb Coe, as an ex-athlete would understand that. He would understand the pressures that athletes face. He would understand how helpless we feel when faced with the almighty administrator......

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:37:50 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »
Ah made one important underlining.... to remind people how our national team gets a friendly, how it was done and how it WILL be done. So when yuh see Jackula just come up wit' a vaps an' say T&T playing club team so and so next week and it was never on de planning calendar den yuh know how money pass........ from Country X  of the club team (for getting a big voting favour) ...to Jackula (who say just ress it dong in de Simpaul account nah..). So check it out and rewind back to the sloppy last minute arrangements for El Salvador, Mexico under sumting team and so on....  >:(

That is football development in lovely T&T. Ent? Huhhhhyayai !!  :'(  :(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:40:01 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>