March 28, 2024, 05:12:09 PM

Author Topic: Abu Bakr gets Swansea trial.  (Read 20941 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Abu Bakr gets Swansea trial.
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:25:10 AM »
Radanfah Abu Bakr gets Swansea trial.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Former National Under 20 team captain Radanfah Abu Bakr will get the chance to go on trial with English League One club Swansea City later this month. Abu Bakr, a former Queen’s Royal College student, was home recently, training with and appearing for the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic team in their preliminary group phase qualifying games (in Suriname) but a red card against the hosts ruled the defender out of the final round opener against Cuba which T&T went on to lose 3-0.
Now back in England, Bakr will get the chance to go on a one-week trial from October 28 with Swansea, the same team of T&T duo Jason Scotland and Dennis Lawrence. Abu Bakr is also continuing his studies in London.
Agent Mike Berry who has been instrumental in arranging the trial said Swansea bosses were eager to get more hold on T&T talent.
“He will be at the club for seven days which will give Swansea sufficient time to assess him. This is a great opportunity for a star of the future to sample life as a professional footballer in the UK at a very progressive club who are determined to get back to the Premiership and also to get some tips from established stars like Dennis Lawrence and Jason Scotland which will benefit him tremendously in his career development,” Berry told TTFF Media.
“Although he is still a young man he has all the attributes both physically and mentally to succeed in the UK once he has established a place in the International setup. This experience will help him to see at first hand a professional standard he has not experienced so far and will stand him in good stead for the future. Roberto Martinez and Chief Scout Kevin Reeves are very interested in the rapid success of T&T football in recent years and want to develop an ongoing relationship which is great news for T&T,” Berry beamed. Swansea meantime, with Scotland and Lawrence now regulars in its line up, currently lead the League One table on 20 points ahead of Tranmere Rovers on goal difference. Abu Bakr is also attending Kingston University and has been playing in a Semi-Professional League in England.
In related news, T&T Senior Team goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams was not part of the squad which arrived in El Salvador on Monday for Wednesday’s friendly against the hosts because he is expected to leave this week for Belgium.
Williams said English club Sheffield United, which was interested in signing him before work permit problems crept in, have arranged for him to join Royal White Star Woluwe for the remainder of the year before attempts are made to bring him back to England.  Woluwe is the same club that former W Connection players Matthew Bartholomew and Aaron Downing are attached to.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:52:10 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Abu Bakr gets Swansea trial.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:03:01 AM »
This is why Jan Michael should have come for the El Salvador game, caps are important.

Good luck to Radanfah Abu Bakr, a bit slow, but technically gifted. His height is also a plus, but we need fast defenders because them central Americans will fly pass us... if Radanfah Abu Bakr get a contract and he get called to play for our senior team aganist the USA in the USA (in the future) will he get clearance to enter into the country. ? That will be interesting, seeing that he is the son of T&T biggest taliban.

T&T foreign pool is getting bigger, once they actually get sign... but we are getting alot of players aboard now...

No I hope Kyland, Peltier and Guerra get more luck, maybe they need to contact Mike Berry....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 06:05:21 AM by Flex »

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 06:13:52 AM »
does this mean he wont play for my side anymore ?  >:(
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 06:28:18 AM »
does this mean he wont play for my side anymore ?  >:(

from non-conference 9th division bottom feeders to an in-form 1st division team....

would be a massive jump if he gets through...

;D

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:49:40 AM »
I'll have you know we got promoted to Division 2 so now we are only 3 divisions below Conference !

I like to see us a feeder team rather than bottom feeder !

Kevaughn now playing for Cannes !

Oni and Hayden now playing for Broxbourne

Chad have trials at Brentford

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 06:55:20 AM »
nice man fellahs doing well..

pm me an email contact for kevaughn when u can..

allyuh find a keeper to keep up the high standard i set before i left?

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:14:15 AM »
no one can fill your shoes !

We have Gavin saving sometimes so I guess former goal keeper for Trinidad youth is ok  :)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 07:35:48 AM »
Good luck to him
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 08:26:02 AM »
As far as I see it, he only going they to take a 'look' because no way he getting any work permit, even if he light up the place like Maradona.

Also interesting to see JMW going the way of the feeder club in Belgium.

ps : Superoli, do you know what Kevaughn is up to now ? I don't think he's with Cannes anymore.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 08:40:16 AM »
Duff, if yuh ever read dis...best of luck meh lion.  Is yuh biggah broddah Fordie.  I know yuh goh succeed

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »
This is why Jan Michael should have come for the El Salvador game, caps are important.

Good luck to Radanfah Abu Bakr, a bit slow, but technically gifted. His height is also a plus, but we need fast defenders because them central Americans will fly pass us... if Radanfah Abu Bakr get a contract and he get called to play for our senior team aganist the USA in the USA (in the future) will he get clearance to enter into the country. ? That will be interesting, seeing that he is the son of T&T biggest taliban.

T&T foreign pool is getting bigger, once they actually get sign... but we are getting alot of players aboard now...

No I hope Kyland, Peltier and Guerra get more luck, maybe they need to contact Mike Berry....

Are they particularly fast or is it that they rely on technical ability in getting behind defenders?.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 10:43:13 AM »
Does his being in school help bypass the work permit thing? If he is playing semi-pro does that mean he cleared to work in the country already?

Or maybe Bakr have some other kind of citizenship.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »

Good question...but I don't forsee a problem, the USSF has sufficient pull to help overcome any potential obstacles.

I was wondering about the name...

Mike Berry....what yuh go say  ::)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 11:27:29 AM »
I'll have you know we got promoted to Division 2 so now we are only 3 divisions below Conference !

Is he back with them...I thought Midknight say he was without a squad?

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 12:18:44 PM »

Dat is a very optimistic estimate  :rotfl:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 12:34:46 PM »
good luck Bakr...I like this player.....we need him to develop....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 06:07:44 PM »
Does T&T realize that the BIG teams already have 19 and 20 yr olds in their senior squads? We (Fuentes an dem) emphasizing his youth as if its a big deal. We are soooooo behind its not funny. We should be pushing lots of youth players to the professional setup as a normal thing---not as a BIG deal.

Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Swans trial for T&T defender
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 06:10:40 AM »
Swans trial for T&T defender
swanseacity.premiumtv.co.uk

Swansea City have offered a one-week trial to Trinidad & Tobago defender Radanfah Abu Bakr.

The 6ft 4in centre-back will arrive in Swansea this weekend rated as one of the hottest prospects in T&T where he has captained the under-17 and under-20 national sides.

While Abu Bakr would not be able to sign for the Swans due to the fact that he would not qualify for a work permit having yet to play for the senior side, Swansea manager Roberto Martinez is convinced the 19-year-old is one for the future.

"He is a hugely talented centre-half," said Roberto. "He has that leadership characteristic that you don't find very often and we want him to have a look at the way we do things because we know he is going to have a huge future.

"He can't get a work permit at the moment, but we think he will soon become available and he's a good one to keep an eye on. We are presenting ourselves to him and he will probably play in a couple of games behind closed doors. It could develop into something in the next few months."

Abu Bakr has recently been playing in the Trinidad Pro League for Caledonia AIA, but is now in London studying at Kingston University, where his course ends next spring.

He will feel at home at the Liberty Stadium where he'll be met by fellow T&T internationals Kevin Austin, Dennis Lawrence and Jason Scotland.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline gh_scfc

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 06:35:07 AM »
Hi there, 

Swans fan here!    Who is he playing for in the uk @ the moment?

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 08:00:24 AM »
Hi there, 

Swans fan here!    Who is he playing for in the uk @ the moment?

He attends Kingston College in the UK and play semi-pro football in his spare time until school is over with which he has one more year to go. He is a decent player but not the next best thing as the article states. A bit slow, but technically good and is great with free kicks.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 08:01:47 AM »
If the name didn't give it away the picture does...no disputing who his father is, lol.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 08:15:07 AM »
Does his being in school help bypass the work permit thing? If he is playing semi-pro does that mean he cleared to work in the country already?

Or maybe Bakr have some other kind of citizenship.

No it doesn't. residence permits for school specifically prohibit being a professional sportsperson
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 11:15:02 AM »
SWANS GIVE TRIAL TO T AND T PROSPECT
GARETH.VINCENT@SWWMEDIA.CO.UK

09:00 - 24 October 2007

Trinidad & Tobago defensive prospect Radanfah Abu Bakr will arrive on trial at Swansea City this weekend.

The 6ft 4in centre-back is rated as one of the hottest prospects in his homeland, where he has captained the under-17 and under-20 national sides.

Abu Bakr is yet to play for T&T's senior team and so could not sign for Swansea now as he would not qualify for a work permit.

But Roberto Martinez is convinced the 19-year-old will soon be a full international - and believes he could be the latest in a line of T & T success stories in English football.

"He is a hugely talented centre-half," said the Swansea manager.

"He has that leadership characteristic that you don't find very often and we want him to have a look at the way we do things because we know he is going to have a huge future.

"He can't get a work permit at the moment, but we think he will soon become available and he's a good one to keep an eye on.

"We are presenting ourselves to him and he will probably play in a couple of games behind closed doors.

"It could develop into something in the next few months."

Abu Bakr has recently been playing in the Trinidad Pro League for Caledonia AIA, but is now in London studying at Kingston University, where his course ends next spring.

His Liberty Stadium trial is thanks in part to agent Mike Berry, who also works with Dennis Lawrence and Jason Scotland.

"Roberto and Kevin Reeves are interested in Trinidad & Tobago talent because of the success players from that part of the world have had in English football," Berry said.

"Radanfah has a week's break in his studies and it's an ideal opportunity for him to come and have a spell at Swansea, which he is very excited about.

"It's a case of giving him a taste of the club and I'm sure Swansea will be his first choice if - although I prefer to say when - he breaks into the national side and qualifies for a work permit."

Given the eligibility complications, Abu Bakr may not provide a quick fix as Swansea continue their search for central defensive cover.

But they are keen to tap in to a market which has already supplied the likes of Dwight Yorke, Kenwyne Jones, Carlos Edwards and Stern John.

SWANSEA are looking for landlords or landladies to house two of the club's youth players in a family environment during the current season.

There is a generous remuneration package available.

Contact the youth department on 01792 616602 for further details.

It's all about getting the national cap

Abu Bakr is yet to play for T&T's senior team and so could not sign for Swansea now as he would not qualify for a work permit.

But Roberto Martinez is convinced the 19-year-old will soon be a full international - and believes he could be the latest in a line of T & T success stories in English football.
"It's a case of giving him a taste of the club and I'm sure Swansea will be his first choice if - although I prefer to say when - he breaks into the national side and qualifies for a work permit."
Think Wim will give it to him?

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 04:33:15 PM »
Look how times have changed eh.

There was a time when I had to real scrunt to find any li'l info on Clint Marcelle while he was eating up de lower leagues with Barnsley etc, and now since World Cup, a li'l youth Radanfah(mind you with potential) geyyin' big up in the BBC as if he is a superstar being waited on. Big up T&T.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/7059638.stm
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:05 PM »
If the name didn't give it away the picture does...no disputing who his father is, lol.

wud bein abu bakr's son work against him in anyway?..jus curious thaz all...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 12:28:38 AM »

wud bein abu bakr's son work against him in anyway?..jus curious thaz all...
I have no way of knowing, but if I had to guess I'd say no.

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 09:28:57 AM »
Good Luck Abu; keeping fighting and working hard. Make sure and do not go and play in the NCAA in the USA. You will never develop as a footballer.........

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Radanfah Abu Bakr completes first Swansea stint
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:57 AM »
Abu Bakr completes first Swansea stint.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Defender Radanfah Abu Bakr had the opportunity to train each day of his one week stay with the Swansea first team during his recent stint at the English League One club. Abu Bakr, who will complete his BA Hons degree in business management next June, explained that he gained a whole lot during the experience in which he also played for Swansea’s Reserve team.
“It was a great experience for me. I thoroughly enjoyed my week as a "professional" footballer! This has been my first time at a UK Pro Team and I can assure you it won’t be my last,” Abu Bakr told TTFF Media on Tuesday.
“I trained with the first team every time they had sessions and I also played with their reserve squad. The sessions were intense but maintained a fun atmosphere. The feedback from the coach was positive and he was especially impressed with my ability to read the game and aerial strength. Although they were pleased, they are well aware that I am not immediately available. They indicated that they will keep in contact with Mike Berry (agent) with the view of me returning to the club when I do become available,” Abu Bakr added who is a former T&T Under 20 team captain and National Under 23 team member. The ex-Caledonia AIA player trained alongside countrymen Dennis Lawrence, Jason Scotland and Kevin Austin at Swansea.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:14:50 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Radanfah Abu Bakr completes first Swansea stint
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 09:53:25 PM »
 :applause:  :applause:

Whappum? Allyuh eh happy to hear dis! >:(  De boy reallllllll happy dread.
Options fuh de fyutyah. Go T&T.

Represent! :challenge:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 01:41:55 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Re: Radanfah Abu Bakr completes first Swansea stint
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 04:50:50 AM »
There are very few people who are going to be a Pro Footballer especially (within or from the UK )with a University Degree  ;D
So Big Up To Him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 05:03:43 AM by Serial Gum Bumper »

1]; } ?>