April 19, 2024, 12:33:35 PM

Poll

Will a Premiership side save Kenwyne when Cardiff get relegated?

Yes
6 (18.8%)
No
26 (81.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones Thread  (Read 246526 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cardiff City manager Russell Slade hits back at critics over treatment of KJ
« Reply #1110 on: August 26, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »
Cardiff City manager Russell Slade hits back at critics over treatment of Kenwyne Jones
By Terry Phillips (Wales Online)

Russell Slade has hit back at critics who say he must show Cardiff City striker Kenwyne Jones more respect.

Slade has been accused of showing a ‘complete lack of respect’ to Jones by failing to play him enough and sending him out on loan last season, with WalesOnline columnist and former Bluebirds player Nathan Blake saying: “You should not treat your number one player like that.”

But a furious Slade says he has treated Jones with great respect – and revealed he has a ‘fighting man’s chance’ of starting at Nottingham Forest on Saturday.

“Kenwyne and I sat down and set out what was best for him,” said Slade.

“He suggested it would be best to be among the substitutes and maybe play 30 minutes at Queens Park Rangers."

Slade continued: “The plan we agreed was half an hour, then 60 or 70 minutes.

“People have got it wrong. Kenwyne wasn’t fit enough to start and it was important we agreed, together, the best way to ensure he regained 100 per cent fitness as quickly as possible.

“Kenwyne was involved in every decision.”

Blake had said in his column this week: “The guy is head and shoulders above any other frontman currently at the club and, as a former striker myself, I know you should treat your No.1 just like that, as your No.1 player.

“The way Jones has been treated by the Bluebirds, I believe, has been in danger of affecting him psychologically.”

The 6ft 4in Jones, who spent the end of last season on loan at Bournemouth, returned from summer international duty with Trinidad and Tobago carrying a calf strain and he has now made three Championship appearances in the 2015/16 campaign.

The big centre-forward scored and then went off with an ankle injury during City’s 2-0 win against Wolves.

He was not involved in the 2-1 defeat at MK Dons, and Slade says: “He has a fighting man’s chance of playing at Forest. He is having treatment and we are hopeful.”

Jones has been linked with a move to Sheffield Wednesday, but sources at Cardiff City have said there has not been any official contact or any offer from the Yorkshire club.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cardiff City's Kenwyne Jones DOES deserve more respect
« Reply #1111 on: August 27, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »
Cardiff City's Kenwyne Jones DOES deserve more respect... Why Nathan Blake is right and Russell Slade is wrong
By Nathan Tucker (Wales Online)

For Russell Slade to step in and defend his treatment of Kenwyne Jones is his prerogative of course, but his recent comments are as ill-informed and wide of the mark as he claims those of his critics are.

Slade’s ire was roused by a piece penned by WalesOnline columnist and Bluebirds’ legend Nathan Blake over the weekend.

The former Cardiff City, Bolton, Blackburn and Wolves striker questioned the way the club had treated Jones since his arrival, arguing the 30-year-old should have been afforded the respect his status as Cardiff’s No.1 striker deserved.

Because that’s what Jones is, isn’t he? Nobody could argue with that.

Since his arrival from Stoke in January 2014, Jones has in many ways been a big fish in a small pond, especially after Fraizer Campbell left for Crystal Palace after Premier League relegation.

It is no coincidence last season that in the second-flight Jones was the Bluebirds’ top-scorer and easily their biggest threat in a largely forgettable campaign.

That is despite him being in and out of the side and then shunted off to Bournemouth for the final month on loan.

THAT is what Blake was referring to in his column, a fact that seems to have gone completely over Slade’s head.

Focus
The Bluebirds boss, who has questioned the impartiality of a Media Wales journalist previously and who, somewhat presumptuously, rounded on his doubters after the first Championship win against Wolves last weekend chose to focus on the suggestions he’d under-utilised Jones at the start of this season in the wake of the win.

Slade fumed that the Trinidad & Tobago international had rejoined the squad late this summer and was struggling with a calf strain and had been consulted about his pitch-time.

Fine, we all knew that and so did Blake. He said as much in Monday's Blakey's Bootroom show when he was asked to explain his comments.

Ameobi
Although, while we are at it, Slade’s insistence on starting the opening games this term with the largely ineffectual Alex Revell partnering Joe Mason up-front while on-loan Sammy Ameobi sat on the bench is arguably a strange decision anyway.

Surely Ameobi, brought in from Newcastle for the season, should have been schooled for that role in the summer? Put it this way, he played like a house on fire when he came on and against Wolves in that position when, ironically enough, Jones had limped off.

But what nobody is disagreeing with Slade about is that Jones was not ready at the beginning of this campaign to start matches. But, as we say, what Blake, and other people too by the way, find a problem with is the way Jones has been treated during his entire time at the club.

Blake merely pointed out strikers are confidence players, they often need an arm around them, need to be made to feel special, as they focus on what is basically the most important job in the team, scoring goals.

This has not happened with Jones. Indeed you only need to look at his time at Cardiff to see a history of almost enforced insecurity and alienation.

Kenwyne's time at Cardiff
Since joining Cardiff, Jones has started 33 times for the Bluebirds, but more than half that number, 18 games, he has started on the bench and come on.

Even if you take into account injury or fitness issues, that is hardly a ringing endorsement of the player, hardly making him your No.1 and giving him the respect that comes with that. A fact Blake simply and quite correctly pointed out.

Anyway Slade’s reappraisal of Jones’ charms looks even more shaky when you observe that when he took over at Cardiff last October, inheriting a squad with Jones in it, the new boss at first went with a strike-force of Federico Macheda and Adam Le Fondre, a decision, albeit with the benefit of hindsight, which looks so wide of the mark, it's almost laughable.

Jones, of course, was on the bench. He had actually started the previous game before Slade took over against Blackpool and then found himself immediately dropped by his new manager who opted for Macheda instead. Indeed, Slade did not start Jones until the end of November at Watford where the Bluebirds notched up their first away win in an age with Jones providing the assist for Le Fondre’s winner. That was Slade’s eighth game in charge at Cardiff.

OK, in the interests of accuracy it should be pointed out that during that period Jones had returned to Trinidad to deal with a family tragedy, but that does not explain away Slade’s initial reading of the strikers at his disposal and even the fact Cardiff initially got off to a good start results-wise under their new boss is not a factor here. We are talking about Slade’s treatment of Jones after all, nothing more.

Not Personal
And let’s not forget the loan of Jones to Bournemouth last season either. OK, it was for financial reasons we are told, ‘non-footballing’ reasons as Slade put it at the time, and it was not the manager’s decision apparently, but, again, Blake in his column did not actually criticise Slade personally for that either. Anyway, loaning out your best striker and top-scorer for the last month of a campaign is just plain weird, I don’t care what you say, and I don’t care how much money the club saved.

Jones has been linked with a move from Cardiff this summer with Sheffield Wednesday reportedly keen and, let’s be honest, you could hardly blame him for wanting away to move away somewhere where he might be more appreciated, to a club where his status is acknowledged and the side built around him to cater to his needs.

In the end Slade’s comments on the recent criticism end up being misleading and focused in totally the wrong area. He also does Blake a disservice by suggesting our columnist did not know the facts. He did, he was talking about a different aspect of the situation and Slade failed to understand that.

Look, maybe at the likes of Scarborough, Grimsby and Yeovil, a few of the clubs Slade previously cut his managerial teeth at, the local press and pundits are not given to a certain degree of criticism. The spotlight and interest in those clubs might not be as intense as it is in the Welsh capital and that would be no surprise given the size of those clubs and the expectations surrounding them.

But this is Cardiff City, this is the Championship, this is a big club and Slade would be better served learning to roll with the punches and keeping his focus on continuing his side’s promising start to the season before rising to every slight he imagines levelled at him.

Naturally, if he does want to respond then that is his right, but the Cardiff manager should at least get his facts right before he chips in.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones Thread
« Reply #1112 on: August 27, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »
Presshah!
An insight into the apparent typical mind games and manipulative and marginalizing measures that these coaches use to control players
Almost like an abusive spouse telling the partner that the partner stupid or ugly everyday so that the said partner never achieves or believes enough to leave.
Slade and de others were VERY MUCH aware that Kenwyne & the socawarriors did well at the Gold Cup and the WHOLE of Europe saw the epic 4-4 draw and other games where KJ got big up
That silenced all the you-are-nobody-playing-for-a-nobody-shittong-3rd-world-side propaganda that they wanted to pound his ears with on his return
Things back-firing now and KJ has more leverage to tell Slade to HYMC.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:03:19 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 27, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
Yeah, I eh seeing how that Ameobi thing making any kinda sense ... thus far. Been wondering the same.

Very telling that Wales Online decided to take another poke at Slade.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: August 27, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
KJ is only 30 years old...and he has proven that he is a top class striker...I wonder why no PL teams not trying to scoop him up...is it because they feel 5 mil is too much and waiting for the summer where he'll be free...or because of his 'rep,' of being rebellious...more so at stoke...idk...but KJ seems to be running on all cylinders! And he's mum on Facebook...no hints, nothing!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #1115 on: August 28, 2015, 05:03:12 AM »
No PL teams buying 30 year old strikers from the Championship unless they desperate. And that would mean KJ struggling in yet another shit team.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 28, 2015, 06:48:50 AM »
KJ is only 30 years old...and he has proven that he is a top class striker...I wonder why no PL teams not trying to scoop him up...is it because they feel 5 mil is too much and waiting for the summer where he'll be free...or because of his 'rep,' of being rebellious...more so at stoke...idk...but KJ seems to be running on all cylinders! And he's mum on Facebook...no hints, nothing!
KJ problem has been his seeming inability to remain consistent throughout the season.......start of hot hot den....slows into a tepid cruise.....if he could start hot and stay hot, clubs goh rush him, but tink of how many clubs use d word lazy in reference to kenwin throughout his career and yuh start to understand why prem teams tentative about him.......a bit instructive that Bournemouth didn't seem to consider buying him even if his contribution was small in the the grand scheme
I pity the fool....

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 28, 2015, 08:09:23 AM »
KJ problem has been his seeming inability to remain consistent throughout the season.......start of hot hot den....slows into a tepid cruise.....if he could start hot and stay hot, clubs goh rush him, but tink of how many clubs use d word lazy in reference to kenwin throughout his career and yuh start to understand why prem teams tentative about him.......a bit instructive that Bournemouth didn't seem to consider buying him even if his contribution was small in the the grand scheme

Premiership clubs not looking at him because he not exactly lighting up the Championship. If he starts to score goals in bunches somebody will take a look.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 28, 2015, 09:40:08 PM »
Guy y'all heard it from me first...our skipper is going to Bournemouth! Negotiations being finalized...hence being left out the squad!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 29, 2015, 05:57:14 AM »
Guy y'all heard it from me first...our skipper is going to Bournemouth! Negotiations being finalized...hence being left out the squad!
dais news or u predicting cyah quite pick up which
I pity the fool....

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 31, 2015, 09:11:34 AM »

Look like horse shit to me :rotfl:

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 31, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Jones should stay where he is. He's scoring regularly and playing regularly. Of course we would like all of our players playing at the highest level but if Jones isn't going to play much on an EPL team that maybe regulated at the end of the season maybe it's best he stay there

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 31, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »

Less than 25 hours left for "redemption".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11600297/When-does-the-transfer-window-2015-open-and-close.html

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 31, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »
Jones should stay where he is. He's scoring regularly and playing regularly. Of course we would like all of our players playing at the highest level but if Jones isn't going to play much on an EPL team that maybe regulated at the end of the season maybe it's best he stay there

It would be a difficult decision.  How many more chances will he get to play in the PL? He's not a youngster any more.
And Premier League pay is much more than Championship pay.
If he can get a multi-year contract, even on the bench while in the PL, I wouldn't begrudge him.
And if they do get relegated, he back where he is now, plus he just added another PL season notch to his belt.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 31, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
Kenwyne still getting Premiership money. That's why they want him off the books.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: August 31, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11600297/When-does-the-transfer-window-2015-open-and-close.html

De man put up a pic of him in a Bournemouth shirt yesterday....yesterday....while he playing at Cardiff. I hope I eh ha to eat crow!

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 31, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »

De man put up a pic of him in a Bournemouth shirt yesterday....yesterday....while he playing at Cardiff. I hope I eh ha to eat crow!
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-striker-kenwyne-jones-9964273

He not moving...

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 31, 2015, 10:31:49 PM »
 :-\ Disappointed...I feel he has a lot to offer in the PL still

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 01, 2015, 01:44:26 AM »
As recently as 50 minutes ago, BBC Sport posted "talks are in progress".
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:03:04 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 01, 2015, 03:38:53 AM »
Even Charlie Austin cyah find a PL team yet. Keep your hopes for KJ realistic.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 01, 2015, 06:52:11 AM »
Bournemouth has signed Glen Murray. So.......
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 01, 2015, 07:41:58 AM »
KJ's fate could be seen as a win win however you look at it:
1. Had he gone to Bournemouth, would be a win for promotion and the usual spin off benefits of that
2. Staying at Cardiff, all the manipulating hype just served to establish KJ as a player in demand and priced too high for others because of his true worth, hence destroying the abusive narrative that he deserves less than decent respectful treatment.
So if yuh doh like him and doh want him, then sell him, dammit. If you value him, shut the &$%# up and let him play.
Mr Cardiff manager take note.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why Cardiff City fans have a right to expect more from Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #1132 on: September 17, 2015, 02:53:18 PM »
Why Cardiff City fans have a right to expect more from Kenwyne Jones - he's capable of terrorising defences
By Scott Johnson (Wales Online)

Cardiff City columnist Scott Johnson shares his frustration at star striker Kenwyne Jones, claiming he's capable of dominating at Championship level.

Plenty have felt the need to jump to the defence of Kenwyne Jones in recent weeks, but my thoughts on him can be neatly summarised by an extract from Harry Redknapp’s autobiography: ‘Always Managing.’

Reflecting on his time in charge of Southampton, Redknapp states: “In pre-season training, we did a bleep test and Kenwyne was beaten by my assistant Kevin Bond. Kevin would have turned 50 that year. He outran Kenwyne.

Relating another anecdote to emphasise his point, Redknapp claimed that Jones asked to come off in a pre-season friendly at Bournemouth, claiming it was too hot.

By way of a summary, Redknapp added: “He had all the tools — a great spring, good pace and power in the air.”

Frustration
His frustration, which I share, was that with a little bit more application, he could be so much more.

I recall Dave Jones bemoaning his budget at one stage during his time in charge at Cardiff City, stating that he wished he could sign a striker of the calibre of Jones, but didn’t have £5m to spend.

Kenwyne went on to be a prolific Premier League striker, albeit for a brief period, but it’s a long time since he was getting linked with the likes of Liverpool, moving to Sunderland for £6m and Stoke for £8m.

When Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took charge, he seemed to immediately target Jones. Maybe he was picturing the player that was still in his prime when Solskjaer left Manchester to take charge at Molde. The player he signed was a very different proposition.

Jones was not exactly the most popular member of the Stoke squad and few were sorry to see him go.

Since joining Cardiff, Jones has been on his best behaviour, but his performances have not always been much to write home about.

Despite this, he has always been a popular member of the squad amongst fans and is a potent threat on his day.

But should Cardiff supporters be expecting more from Jones?
After underwhelming during the second half of Cardiff’s disappointing season in the top flight, expectations for Jones were lower than a snakes belly ahead of last season.

But he scored on the opening day and went on to become a fixture in the side. He was mystifyingly loaned out towards the end of the season, but many were happy to see him return in the summer.

If I’m honest, I’ve never really warmed to him and there are a number of reasons for this.

Firstly, I still remember how formidable he was at Sunderland and when he first joined Stoke.

I know age catches up with you, but Jones is only 30, not 35. He is about the same age as Peter Whittingham who is often considered past it by some supporters, but remains a hard-working, model professional.

These days I think he is probably better suited as an impact sub.

Eddie Howe is considered one of the brightest minds in English football and he never started Jones when on loan at Bournemouth last season.

Jones has become something of a deluxe Adebayo Akinfenwa, the man mountain striker at AFC Wimbledon, which makes me a bit sad because Jones should be far more than that.

Dominating and terrorising
Rather than earning unintentionally patronising praise for executing basic tasks, he should be dominating games and terrorising opposition centre backs.

Redknapp’s comments were from a decade ago, when Jones was barely out of his teens, so clearly a lack of work ethic is nothing new and he is not going to turn into Alex Revell any time soon.

But it is impossible not to relate his performances back to his undoubtedly hefty salary.

Some will argue that as long as he’s scoring, he is justifying his selection and that is a perfectly valid point. But to get the best out of Jones, you have to play a certain way.

He’s not going to work the channels, so you have to hit it long and directly at him. He’s certainly a handful at this level and a lethal weapon when scoring, but when he’s not scoring, he’s an expensive luxury.

His current contract expires in the summer and Cardiff appear keen to agree a new deal on reduced wages but with greater incentives. That sounds like a very good idea to me, but they may find it difficult to get his salary down to an affordable level.

The signing of Idriss Saadi should keep Jones and Joe Mason on their toes, which can only be a good thing. Saadi will certainly get the opportunity to impress in the coming weeks.

If he thrives and proves to be as good as Russell Slade will hope he is, Jones may find his place under serious threat.

Maybe these factors were the inspiration behind arguably his best game for Cardiff in the 2-0 loss against Hull on Tuesday. Jones looked up for it and it was great to see, but he now has to maintain those high standards.

The ball is his court. Jones will certainly have a big role to play in the narrative of Cardiff’s season. Just how big is up to him.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 17, 2015, 03:25:40 PM »

I got this...he might be 30, but after October he lower body might have hit 45.. I still praying for Molino..but he not gonna come back like Robocop, but he will still probably be good enough to contribute..this is not pegs & holes... many don't come back at all..but some do and can still offer something, even if for fans and losing sides, t's never enough

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/1974/kenwyne_jones_injury.html?currency_view=USD

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: October 14, 2015, 04:10:35 AM »
KJ got hit on his shin, will be out for 2 maybe 3 weeks.

Do we always have to play our best players especially in a friendly game?

If Hart going to experiment, we good give the younger ones a chance.

Come on Hart, its a big gamble to take, he already played vs Panama, without Jones we will be in trouble.

Andrews look very good.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 14, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »
KJ got hit on his shin, will be out for 2 maybe 3 weeks.

Do we always have to play our best players especially in a friendly game?

If Hart going to experiment, we good give the younger ones a chance.

Come on Hart, its a big gamble to take, he already played vs Panama, without Jones we will be in trouble.

Andrews look very good.

Qualifiers right 'rong de corner, so the team has to gel in as many friendly games as possible. We had issues in the past with not playing any friendlies during the FIFA window. Now we getting some valuable warm ups against some 'decent' competition, resting yuh best players just for sake of it should not be an option.
Granted KJ picked up a knock, but our forwards have not been scoring consistently in past games. If we playing with 2 forwards ; Glenn and KJ have to play as many warms up games together so that when qualifiers start; we eh go have no cohesion issues.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 14, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »
Damn if he do, damn if he don't. It is unfortunate that this happened. But is this not our last warm up before Guatemala. We don't have the luxury as US, Mex, and even JA who get into big tournaments. These two guys have to gel when they go to Guat. No excuses that did not play much together. That first game is crucial. It could determine wether or not we move on to the Hex. I myself has questioned some of the coaches move. Like not starting Glenn in the GC vs Mex. And that turned out to be a game for all ages. The coach going on his intuition. He is the coach.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 14, 2015, 10:16:19 AM »
Gel !!!

He is already gel.

I hope he get well soon.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1138 on: October 14, 2015, 12:48:35 PM »
FROM SHAUN

We are pleased to advise that X-rays have indicated that T&T Senior Men's team captain Kenwyne Jones suffered no broken bones or damaged ligaments. He sustained a blow to the shin in the second half of play and was taken for observation at the St Clair Medical on Tuesday night following the 0-0 draw with Nicaragua. He is expected to be back on the pitch within a week's time.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 14, 2015, 02:04:41 PM »
Good to hear no serious injury setback.... Speedy recovery skipper Kj... godbless

1]; } ?>