March 18, 2024, 09:55:42 PM

Poll

Will a Premiership side save Kenwyne when Cardiff get relegated?

Yes
6 (18.8%)
No
26 (81.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones Thread  (Read 243715 times)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones Thread
« Reply #1500 on: November 22, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »
Yes. Hart was able to pull the best out of Jones. They both respect each other tremendously.

I think if the right opportunity had come from an MLS franchise, Jones wouldnt have retired. Atlanta turned out to have a great season despite losing in the playoffs. It was hard for him to win a spot over the Venezuelan. Another MLS team would have probably been more of a benefit to him. I'm sure there are MLS clubs that would still give him a try out.

The national team will miss him when they need him the MOST. I hope someone can step up to the plate and be the new KJ.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 22, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »
I think KJ may have some type of foot injury that is hampering effective mobility. So he decided to call it quits. He is not that old. Wasn't DY his agw when he went to the WC in 2006?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »
I think KJ may have some type of foot injury that is hampering effective mobility. So he decided to call it quits. He is not that old. Wasn't DY his agw when he went to the WC in 2006?

I think it's his knee.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 23, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »
WATCH: National Senior Men's Team Coach Dennis Lawrence has called former National Captain, Kenwyne Jones, a great servant of Trinidad and Tobago football.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/z86hxxrz9To" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/z86hxxrz9To</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We Are Wearside Interview: Caribbean King Super Kenwyne Jones!
« Reply #1504 on: November 23, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
We Are Wearside Interview: Caribbean King Super Kenwyne Jones!
By Ethan Thoburn (wearewearside.com)

Recently I spoke to Trinidad and Tobago international Kenwyne Jones who signed for Sunderland in 2007 for Roy Keane’s side. He soon became a fans favourite at the Stadium of Light.

WAW: What was it like to play for SAFC, and was it difficult for you to settle in?

KJ:
“It wasn’t easy to settle in, it was my first club in the Premier League so I was trying to hit the ground running. The fans were amazing and that eased the transition a lot, Sunderland was an experience that I’ll forever cherish.”

WAW: What is your favourite goal for Sunderland?

KJ: “Well firstly every goal was special, but to me the one against Reading at home always stands out to me the most.”

WAW: What was your celebration about, the one with Cisse and your acrobatics?

KJ: “The celebration with Djibril was a bit of Caribbean culture so it came out on the pitch. My acrobatic celebration was a replica of my uncles’ so I just carried on. I’ve been doing it since I was seven years old; just horsing around at first but it then became perfected after a while.”

WAW: What were your partnerships like with Darren Bent and Djibril Cisse?

KJ: “I think all my partnerships were great, I think that they are two different players and we were able to get along well; the time with Bent was obviously more fruitful but all in all it was a joy to play with both guys.”

WAW: What was Roy Keane like as a manager?

KJ: “I thought he was fantastic, he was early into his managerial career so maybe he was still learning but overall he was good”

WAW: When Keano left, how did things change under Steve Bruce?

KJ: “First we had a tough period under Rick (Sbragia), we were trying to be safe in the division, and under Steve it really wasn’t great.”

WAW: What was it like to play in a Tyne and Wear derby?

KJ: “Well coming to a club in the North East you quickly became aware of it’s history, and it was a game that needed no extra motivation. It’s probably one of the most intensive and exciting games of my career.”

WAW: What was your inspiration to go professional?

KJ: “Well it was a family thing, a part of my culture so it was one of the things I gravitated to. I didn’t start taking it seriously until I was about 15 and then it kicked off pretty rapidly from there. I went from being a schoolboy star on the youth national sides and making my first team debut aged 17, so from then on I had no other choice but to go for it!”

WAW: Who were you football heroes growing up?

KJ: “Well firstly, it was my dad, uncle, and my cousin; of course Carlos Edwards and I went to the same school, so he was a school hero for me. Stern John was a national hero as was Dwight (Yorke) so that goes without saying.”

I’d like to thank Kenwyne for taking the time to speak to me about his playing days at Sunderland. He most recently played in the MLS for Atlanta United, after enjoying spells at Stoke City, Cardiff City, Bournemouth, on loan, Al Jazira, on loan, and a loan spell at Central, a Trinidad and Tobago club in California, along with Stern John who is head coach. He has recently announced his retirement from football. 

Kenwyne is a great guy and a really nice bloke who really values his time at the club and knew what it meant to be here. Good luck to him in his future endeavours.

You can follow Kenwyne on Instagram and Twitter @kenwynejonestt 

You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram @ethan_thoburn

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1505 on: November 24, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »
TTFA president surprised over Jones’ retirement.
T&T Newsday Reports.

David John-Williams, president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), expressed surprised over the retirement of ex-national men’s team captain Kenwyne Jones on Monday.

The 33-year-old Jones announced his retirement from the sport after his one-year contract with American MLS (Major League Soccer) team Atlanta United was not renewed.

During his international career, which ran from January 2003 to June 2017, Jones netted 23 goals in 90 appearances.

“It came as a surprise to me that Kenwyne retired from all football,” said John-Williams during a recent interview. “Normally players at that age will tend to retire just from national team football and continue with their club career. In terms of the retirement from all football came as a shock to me.

“If Kenwyne had retired from only national team football I probably would have understood that. Kenwyne, in his own mind, knows what he wants.”

Jones was a former member of John-Williams’ club W Connection before he left in 2004 to take up a contract with Southampton in England. Jones was a defender during his youth days but he became a converted striker while in England.

He also had stints with Sunderland, Stoke and Cardiff, as well as loan spells with fellow British teams Sheffield Wednesday and Bournemouth, Al Jazira in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and defending Pro League champions Central FC before moving to Atlanta.

“On behalf of the TTFA I want to wish him all the best in his endeavours,” said John-Williams. “He played in the two highest tournaments for his age group, the Under-17 World Cup as well as the FIFA World Cup in 2006. So he is a person with a lot of experience.”

John-Williams acknowledged that Jones was a polarising figure in TT football.

“A lot of people have differences of opinion in terms of Kenwyne Jones (and) what would have been his best position. Kenwyne chose to be a striker,” said the TTFA president. “His history as a striker would not suggest that he set the world afire because his record speaks for itself. He may not have been a prolific goalscorer but he brought some other intangibles to the Trinidad and Tobago football team.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: November 24, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »
He sound like he wasn't a KJ fan, his sentiments to me seemed very generic for a player who served the country for so long.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 24, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
He sound like he wasn't a KJ fan, his sentiments to me seemed very generic for a player who served the country for so long.

... He is probably thinking he not going to make any more money on sell-on clauses.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 24, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »
KJ has nothing to apologize for. Even I had frustrations with KJ sometimes. But I know KJ's play was limited by the quality of service by the mid-field and playmakers,  which have been lacking in TT national team football for the past 10 yrs.  But for the last 5 years he had adjusted and  played very for TT, especially in the last couple of GCs. His away goal against Guatemala to get us  in the  recent Hex was one of his most important goal for TT. Tallman says his knees is affecting him. I believe it. The JW issue  with moneys owed is probably what rubbing DJW the wrong way. That is his opinion.  Not a prolific scorer as Steve David or Stern, but he did well with quality of players around him.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #1509 on: November 24, 2017, 05:12:36 PM »
Wasn't Big Mag witness to him openly cussing the selection of KJ under Hart?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 24, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
Jones: Critics never fazed me.
T&T Guardian Reports.

The criticisms were harsh, and they were sometimes many, but for close to two decades former T&T striker Kenwyne Jones didn’t let it faze him. At the start of the week, he called time on his career, midweek he returned home, and yesterday morning he gave his first interview since retiring.

What appeared to be a surprise retirement wasn’t a surprise at all. Speaking on the Morning Shot, Jones said an injury he sustained prior to the Costa Rica match setback his hopes of a fully fit comeback in the sport. He said, “The decision I came to didn’t happen overnight. It’s been in my memory for three to four months.

In looking into the injury, the type of injury it is, I will have to do a three in one surgery if I am to continue playing professionally. The recovery time is 14 months. By that time, I’ll be close to 35, so there’s no point trying to come back to tussle up with the young ones.”

Instead, Jones said he will be willing to help any young T&T footballer who seeks guidance. Head coach Dennis Lawrence opened the door earlier this week to the former T&T captain if he is willing to contribute to the road to Qatar 2022.

However, in his first few days in post professional football, Jones says he’s been enjoying the simpler things in life, like taking his son to school and picking him up.

It is, however, hard to have a conversation with the striker and not talk about the constant criticism he’s faced throughout his career, especially playing for T&T. As he closed the chapter on this part of his life, his words weren’t politically correct anymore.

They don’t need to be. He said, “When you come out of the bubble that is T&T, you get to experience real fanaticism, I would say. I don’t think we’re real fanatics of any sport. Outside of this, any country I go to, based on the career I’ve had, and I’m very thankful for it, I have the respect of everybody else. I don’t look at my career as being a failure.”

For the people who did stand by him though, Jones is grateful, and thanked them once more for being a positive voice in his journey.

WATCH: In his first interview after announcing his retirement, Kenwyne Jones talks about the build-up to his retirement, the difficulty of the decision, his future plans, and the critics.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:37:56 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1511 on: November 26, 2017, 05:50:56 AM »
Kenwyne: TTFA must get act together.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Retired national footballer Kenwyne Jones is calling on the local football administration to get its act together to ensure a bright future for football in this country and encourage more investment in the sport.

Jones, 33 years old, announced his retirement earlier this week from international and club football. The former national captain enjoyed an impressive career, playing for several clubs in England and represented the national senior team between 2003 and 2017. He scored 23 goals for T&T in 82 appearances.

Jones, the senior voice in the T&T squad for the past few years, said he was dissatisfied with local football administration during his career.

“Absolutely not,” he replied, when asked if he was happy with the TTFA’s running of football.

Jones said poor administration is not just an issue in football, but a problem in the country at large.

“Administratively we need to start to have accountability, we need to take responsibility for a lot of stuff, we need to do better where administration is concerned. But that is not just only in the Federation (T&T Football Association), that is around the country.

We need a change where that is concerned. We need a change where the attitude is concerned towards everything that we do. Football is not a special case, it is just one of the cases out there and I do think we need to do better.”

Jones, who represented T&T at the 2001 Under-17 World Cup held in T&T, believes the country is not lacking in young talented footballers. However, he said more must be done to develop football and encourage youngsters to get involved.

“I am happy for the talent that we have, I am happy for the youths that are going to be coming forward...I hope that they are able to work hard in the environment that they are in. Even though as a country we have had resources, I think limited resources were applied all-round in sport.”

Jones said investment has to take place in order to give the next generation of players a professional environment to succeed. Jones believes if football administration is improved in T&T, investors will pump more money into the sport.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1512 on: November 27, 2017, 06:51:34 AM »
Former teammates salute skipper ‘Dada’
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Two of Kenwyne Jones’ 2006 World Cup team-mates have paid glowing tribute to the former National Team captain following the announcement of his retirement from playing on Thursday.

Stern John, T&T’s most prolific striker to date, and a former national team captain Densill Theobald both spent a significant part of their international careers alongside Jones. John started alongside Jones in several matches but among those which stood out would be T&T’s 1-0 win over Bahrain to qualify for the 2006 World Cup and the 2-0 loss to England in Germany. And history would show that Jones went on to become this country’s top man up front after John, an former Birmingham City standout, left the international stage in 2011.

As for Theobald, Jones would go on to take over as team captain from him during the 2013 Concacaf Gold Cup and wore the armband well into the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign.

“I think Kenwyne’s had an amazing career,” John said. “He played in one of the biggest Leagues in the world with top clubs and also played in a World Cup. It’s not easy playing at a top level for so many years and not a lot of players can say that they’ve done that consistently,” John explained.

He added, “Not much players can say they had John Terry in their pocket for 90 minutes and that’s how good Kenwyne was on his day. He was big, powerful and unplayable. It was a pleasure playing with him and also working with him as a coach this year. We always had that respect for each other even when he was one of the younger players in the side”

John did say though that he felt Jones still had something to offer as a player. “I know he’s had a problem with his knee but I just think he’s leaving the game too early. He has a lot to offer the game still,” John pointed out.

Meanwhile, Theobald recalled how Jones was fondly known as “Dada” in the national team circles because of his leadership ability and the fact that he was able to have a close knit relationship with so many of his teammates.

“I’m really sad about Kenwyne quitting the game. In my last conversation with him a few weeks ago he said to me ‘Bleeder, I’m thinking about parking up because I think that’s it for me.”

Theobald, a former Caledonia AIA and current North East Stars player explained, “Of course I was trying to sway him away from that decision because I think he still has a lot to offer this younger generation.

He said to me that he just didn’t have it anymore and that he may have to do surgery at the end of this season and that contributed to his decision. It was sad for me to lose a brother in football.

We started at the national team at a young age and we cared for each other and always wanted the best for each other and for the country. We shared great moments and sad moments in the national team.

It was always important for him that his fellow soldiers. The players and the national team came out on top or with something to show for all their efforts.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1513 on: November 29, 2017, 05:08:42 AM »
Kenwyne: Critics don’t see the hard work.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Former national footballer Kenwyne Jones said criticism from the national public never fazed him as he knew the hard work he put into his game.

Jones, now 33 years old, announced his retirement from all football last week after an international career that lasted almost 15 years. Jones became a polarising figure in local football towards the latter stage of his career despite being handed the captaincy by ex-TT coach Stephen Hart and being the most experienced player. His supporters praised him for his captaincy and ability to lead the TT attack while playing as a lone striker, while others viewed him with derision, unhappy with his goalscoring record – 23 goals in 82 appearances.

“The criticism never really bothered me that much,” Jones said, “at the end of the day, we know that we are in a society that does that type of stuff because we are in an office that is outside.

“The job that we do is in the public eye and of course you are going to probably receive some criticism or have naysayers, but at the end of the day if you don’t have those (critics), that means you not doing something right. (If you receive criticism) that means you are making an impact so I was not too worried about it.”

The former English Premiership player said, “When I wake up in the morning, I would be training by myself and with my teammates. You are not training with fans, you are not training with critics, you not training with others. While they are trying to critique a viewing of a game, they are not there for all the hard work, so at the end of the day I knew I had to continue working hard for myself.”

Jones said his confidence stems from being satisfied with his accomplishments while playing in England, Saudi Arabia and the USA.

“Overall I am really happy with what I have achieved. I have been part of the national senior level for 14 years and I played a few years at youth level. I have achieved making it to tournaments like the Gold Cup and the World Cup, and of course to captain the country was a major feat as well.”

Jones, who was part of the squad that represented TT at the 2006 World Cup in Germany, thanked his well-wishers and those who helped mould him into the player he became.

“I would like to thank everyone who has had any input at all in where I have gotten. To say that I will be calling a few (names) will be a disservice to the rest. I just want to say to the people that know me and actually know that they had some type of input in me getting to certain points, that I am grateful to them and I thank them for their input and time.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: December 04, 2017, 06:17:21 AM »
WATCH: Former Trinidad and Tobago Men’s Head Coach Stephen Hart speaks highly of recently retired striker Kenwyne Jones.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/49fCDmpk760" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/49fCDmpk760</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: December 04, 2017, 07:34:35 AM »
Respect coach Hart.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: December 04, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
Hart need to start back coaching and dont let this stop of from his dreams, he is a dam good coach.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Online Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1517 on: December 04, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »
Hart have more intelligence than that whole ttfa board tbh...

He knew how to use kJ and get the mid to play off of him..

Lawrence green and was towing the line, hence his dropping of kJ on the orders of the dictator

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
I dont see why Jones retiring he still has a lot of top flight football left in him ..if not  overseas why not locally..

what is he going to do now?

He could easily play five more years ..for me he is top class...

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: December 04, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »
I dont see why Jones retiring he still has a lot of top flight football left in him ..if not  overseas why not locally..

:thinking:   Hmm.  I wonder if His last article headline have anything to do with this.

Kenwyne: Critics don’t see the hard work.
T&T Newsday Reports.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: December 04, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »

He said he has a knee injury that would require surgery and approximately 15 months of rehab in order for him to continue playing professionally. At the age of 33, he doesn't think it makes sense to attempt to go that route. The retirement decision was made over a four month period.

Offline Majestic

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
Enjoy d rest big man...

From that 2001 U17 WC team, I know that Jan and Julius still playing competitively.

Allyuh know anybody else who still playing?
He Is Highly

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:43 PM »
From that 2001 U17 WC team, I know that Jan and Julius still playing competitively.

Allyuh know anybody else who still playing?

Jan-Michael Williams (Honduras, Juticalpa FC)
Marvin Phillip (Trinidad and Tobago, Morvant Caledonia United)
Julius James (Trinidad and Tobago, North East Stars)
Makan Hislop (Trinidad and Tobago, Bethel United)

Offline Majestic

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: December 06, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »
weyy, sorry dey Marvin. I thought Makan was done with d big grass field. Thanks Tallman.
He Is Highly

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1524 on: December 10, 2017, 01:57:24 PM »
Sporting KC acquires forward Kenwyne Jones
By Sam Kovzan (SportingKC.com).

Sporting Kansas City announced Sunday that the club has acquired forward Kenwyne Jones, goalkeeper Alexander Tambakis and a natural fourth-round pick in the 2021 MLS SuperDraft in a trade with Atlanta United FC.

In exchange, Atlanta United FC acquires midfielder Kevin Oliveira, defender Tyler Pasher and Sporting KC’s natural second-round pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft (No. 36 overall). The deal was struck Sunday during Major League Soccer’s half-day trade window.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: December 10, 2017, 02:44:28 PM »
So.... one last hurrah?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: December 10, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
This is just MLS trade and draft technicalities ahead of the expansion draft.

Per Kenwyne himself.

Kenwyne J Jones

@kenwynejonestt
Not even a surgeon can get me out of retirement
12:29 PM - Dec 10, 2017
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: December 10, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »
This is just MLS trade and draft technicalities ahead of the expansion draft.

Per Kenwyne himself.

Kenwyne J Jones

@kenwynejonestt
Not even a surgeon can get me out of retirement
12:29 PM - Dec 10, 2017
how about a player-coaching gig after the surgeon do his thing ?  Never say Never
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 03:30:53 PM by maxg »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: February 12, 2018, 09:36:36 AM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: February 12, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »
 :laugh:

1]; } ?>