March 28, 2024, 07:50:27 AM

Poll

Will a Premiership side save Kenwyne when Cardiff get relegated?

Yes
6 (18.8%)
No
26 (81.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones Thread  (Read 244302 times)

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones Thread
« Reply #1350 on: August 16, 2016, 11:14:11 PM »
Trinidadians & toboggans just don't like to support unless the team is winning and playing beautiful football to their likes.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 17, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »
Score?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 17, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
Score?

2-2. KJ scored CFC's second in the 56'. Marcus Joseph scored a couple minutes before. KJ's goal made it 2-1.

These three goals occurred in a 5 minute span. SKC equalized at 70'.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:18:46 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why Kenwyne Jones will thrive in MLS
« Reply #1353 on: August 17, 2016, 11:18:33 AM »
Why Kenwyne Jones will thrive in MLS
By Rob Usry (dirtysouthsoccer.com)

I've been a Kenwyne Jones fan for a long time. I've seen him terrorize CONCACAF at the international level for years. I remember when his Sunderland teams were challenging for Europe. He's been a quality striker at every level and every stop of his career. After watching his debut for Central FC, I'm ready to confidently say that his tenure with Atlanta United will be no different.

That’s not much of a bold prediction considering his track record, but I’ll take it a step further. He's not only going to be a quality striker, he's going to dominate MLS.

You’re probably thinking to yourself, “Well Rob, you're an Atlanta United supporter, of course you'd think that.” — While that's certainly true, I don't make that claim lightly.

Jones’ performance in his debut against Sporting KC alleviated any concern that he's somehow lost a step or regressed as a player. In his first match in months and probably at only 75 percent fit, he was the best player on the field by a long shot. As a target man, Jones held the ball up for his teammates superbly. It only took him five minutes to find his first great chance at finding net. After receiving a pass, he squeezed by a defender to go in clean on goal. Unfortunately his weak footed shot was mishit.

In the second half he made his presence known. His perfect chest down of a long ball and eventual through ball to a teammate led to Central’s equalizing goal. He wasn’t credited with an assist, but that goal never happens without his piece of skill.

Soon after, he scored his goal. The play started with him collecting a pass at midfield on the counterattack, finding his teammate, then making an overlapping run into space. He took the return pass in stride at a tough angle, lined up a right footed shot and slammed it past the SKC keeper at the near post. It was a confident finish of a proven goal scorer, despite it being his first match in a while.

CONCACAF is a tough region to master and MLS is no different. Kenwyne Jones has succeeded at the international level here and this match proves he’ll have no problem replicating that at the club level.

When looking specifically at MLS, strikers like Jones often succeed. Big target men with a prolific goal scoring history usually have no problem producing in this league. Players like Didier Drogba, Kei Kamara, and Jozy Altidore come to mind when thinking of comparisons for him. All three, when healthy, are dominant forces in MLS. Defenses in this league just aren't capable of combating a competent target striker who can hold the ball up and get on the end of chances.

Atlanta United have already begun surrounding Jones with quality players. More will follow once the offseason begins. When we get a clearer picture of what the team’s roster will look like, we can make more specific predictions about production. As we stand now, I'm fairly confident that Jones will be a dominant striker in MLS as long as he stays healthy and hungry to succeed.

I was thrilled when Jones signed with Atlanta, but there's always doubt about players coming into MLS and producing. After seeing him shine against MLS competition in his first match on loan, I believe he'll be exactly the type of striker to set the league on fire in 2017 and beyond.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 17, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »
wow.Lot's of praise there. But 1st, I wish him luck and confidence against Guatemala and USA.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 17, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
I saw the same thing last night. If KJ's performance last night against Sporting Kansas City is any indication of things to come in his MLS tenure, he will certainly cause problems for defenders. And when he attracts an inordinate amount of attention from defenders, his striking teammates will have opportunity to punish them.

Thank God Hart understands KJ's influence and significance to the NT

Good Stuff
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 18, 2016, 09:40:08 AM »
I saw the same thing last night. If KJ's performance last night against Sporting Kansas City is any indication of things to come in his MLS tenure, he will certainly cause problems for defenders. And when he attracts an inordinate amount of attention from defenders, his striking teammates will have opportunity to punish them.

Good Stuff
:cheers:

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 18, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »

Good Stuff

Not sure about that part. I believe most MLS teams tend to play a lone striker. Though who knows what Atlanta will do. Let's hope he's surrounded with guys who can provide him with service and a coach who knows how to make the most of KJs abilities.  :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 18, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »

Good Stuff

Not sure about that part. I believe most MLS teams tend to play a lone striker. Though who knows what Atlanta will do. Let's hope he's surrounded with guys who can provide him with service and a coach who knows how to make the most of KJs abilities.  :beermug:

Agreed
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 18, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »

Good Stuff

when club teams make move like this(contract), especially US teams, better believe they do their homework and would provide what is necessary, before. Otherwise they wouldn't bring a KJ. Nobody has a Crystal Ball if all planned things work or not. They will not select supporting guys who cannot provide service or select KJ based on his World class name alone, in the whole scheme of World class players he not a Kaka, Drogba, Henri, Pirlo or Beckham..as far as US is concerned, he not even a Donovan..so bet they have done their due diligence, if it don't work out, it don't..but 1st year, they have to take whatever little contribution they get, based on cost. Just sayin

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 19, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »
WATCH: Central FC striker Kenwyne Jones scores on his debut for Central FC in their 2-2 draw with Sporting Kansas City

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3cBimwD9xkw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3cBimwD9xkw</a>

WATCH: Interview with Kenwyne Jones following Central FC’s 2-2 draw with Sporting Kansas City.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/L9qO-ht7FuQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/L9qO-ht7FuQ</a>

WATCH: Full post-game interview with Kenwyne Jones after Central FC’s 2-2 draw with Sporting Kansas City

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s817iwcg7Dw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s817iwcg7Dw</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 19, 2016, 12:50:08 PM »
That was a killer pass/ setup for KJ. I think was Joseph, put the goal on ah boombay for him.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 19, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »
KJ named to the Team of Week 2 in the Champions League. Congrats to him and Central FC.  :beermug:

The assist and goal also made the Play of the Week reel.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 19, 2016, 07:04:43 PM »
KJ named to the Team of Week 2 in the Champions League. Congrats to him and Central FC.  :beermug:

The assist and goal also made the Play of the Week reel.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 02, 2016, 01:57:51 AM »

Kenwyne Jones Q&A - Reveals his love for playing FIFA and more!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/J5GvEXT0NQM&amp;spfreload=10" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/J5GvEXT0NQM&amp;spfreload=10</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: September 06, 2016, 04:09:46 PM »
Just listened to an exchange on 95 regarding KJ. There was no shortage of opinion. Anyone was tuned in?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: September 07, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
Just listened to an exchange on 95 regarding KJ. There was no shortage of opinion. Anyone was tuned in?

No, but KJ is de modern day Stern John in terms of being de target of abuse by our "fans". At de game last night he was receiving level cuss, and there was nothing ah could do tuh sway de minds of de cussers.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 07, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
We don't value or accept KJ for the type of player he is, I know his casual nature at times can be frustrating to watch but his presence keeps the defenses on their heels which is a luxury for us. We just have to play to his strengths.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 07, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
At the risk of stretching a comparison ... anyone observe Zlatan's activity off the ball.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: September 07, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »
We don't value or accept KJ for the type of player he is, I know his casual nature at times can be frustrating to watch but his presence keeps the defenses on their heels which is a luxury for us. We just have to play to his strengths.
all night long he waited for a ball at his head in the box, yet all he got were balls at his feet. the best header of the ball in concacaf and receives little to no crosses from the flank on his noggin. what a bloody shame and waste of a good target man.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 07, 2016, 10:40:57 AM »

No, but KJ is de modern day Stern John in terms of being de target of abuse by our "fans". At de game last night he was receiving level cuss, and there was nothing ah could do tuh sway de minds of de cussers.
in all fairness to them he did have a poor game last night, in fact two poor games back to back TBH.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #1371 on: September 07, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »

in all fairness to them he did have a poor game last night, in fact two poor games back to back TBH.
When last he really run ball. He eh seem to feature much in Timbuktu or wherever he was. I doubt he very match sharp at the moment.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: September 07, 2016, 01:28:50 PM »
Judging by how Hart usually sets up I'm not sure KJ is supposed to move alot. However the three behind him were not fluid enough to  help the situation.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 08, 2016, 10:48:16 AM »
Judging by how Hart usually sets up I'm not sure KJ is supposed to move alot. However the three behind him were not fluid enough to  help the situation.

Finally somebody see it.  Despite the team playing ball more on the ground, KJ represents an outlet that can hold up the ball to support a break away from our wing players.  Why are we expecting KJ to do grunt work? So that he can end up being tired and out-muscled by defenders as the game wears on?  It's as if we somehow need to play a 10-0-0 on defense.  I never understood the constant moaning about his movement.  Though it's a stretch in many regards asylum ask a very pertinent question in comparing Zlatan's movement.  KJ already always have 2 defenders occupied already, not sure if he had to do all this running that folks seem to want he would be as effective at making flick-ons with his head or simply holding up the ball, which he does a very good job of and is a very necessary component to our build up.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 08, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »
As I see it over and over K J is most dangerous when he coming with the play....
I agree if he is already in the box,we have not provided decent crosses for him to go at
Watch some tape..watch the St Vincent and Guatemala games
When he is coming from mid field  with the play options magnify themselves,because he is not stagnant
We must evolve while on the pitch otherwise we become one dimensional and there by predictable

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1375 on: September 15, 2016, 04:40:26 AM »
Kenwyne Jones fends off criticism.
ttproleague.com.

“I don’t live under pressure. I’ve been in this game a long time [and] I know what educated and uneducated [spectators] say and i don't live under that pressure,” said Central FC loan-signing and Trinidad and Tobago National Team captain Kenwyne Jones, following what many described a mixed performance by the former England Premier League forward during the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League 2016/17 season curtain-raising Digicel Charity Shield last Friday at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

The 31-year-old Jones, a former Sunderland, Stoke City and Cardiff City forward, scored in the fifth minute against Defence Force with a simple finish to put eventual winners Central FC into a two-goal cushion after Darren Mitchell had cleaned up on a headed attempt by Jones to give the Couva Sharks the lead by the third minute.

However the Charity Shield holders and reigning Digicel Pro League and Caribbean champions needed kicks from the spot to overcome Defence Force, thanks to some heroics from substitute goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams – in his first game back since March due to a shoulder injury – who made three consecutive saves in the shootout to give the Dale Saunders-coached Central FC a 3-1 win following a 2-2 draw. Williams had also made crucial stops against the Army in the second half including a stoppage-time save to deny Hashim Arcia.

Defence Force had reduced the deficit through veteran striker Devorn Jorsling in the 18th-minute, and although creating a superior amount of scoring chances, the Army/Coast Guard combination only levelled the game in the 89th-minute through substitute Sean Narcis.

But Jones had an excellent opportunity to put the game out of Defence Force’s reach four minutes from the end of regulation time, however the Central forward headed overbar from just outside the six-yard area.

While fielding questions from the media afterwards, Jones explained, “The only pressure I have is to make sure my performance is good to help the team around me to get the results.”

Jones, who will join new Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise Atlanta United in January 2017, said his current focus is on keeping Central – the reigning Pro League champions – on top during his first stint back in Trinidad since 2004.

“I’ve done it before how many years ago. It’s nothing different for me [playing in the Pro League]. It’s just important for me to get some games under my belt. It's about getting to know the team (Central) better and try to help them win games and keep them on top,” added Jones, who scored on his Central debut in August in a 2-2 draw in the CONCACAF Champions League against MLS outfit Sporting Kansas City and made it two in two games by scoring in the Charity Shield.

Jones went on to add that his influence in the team is not alone, as he is only adding to the mix of former Europe players in the fold at Central such as managing director Brent Sancho and assistant coach Stern John, who, like head coach Dale Saunders, are all ex-T&T internationals.

“The experience and the standard is already there and given from the bench [by the coaching staff], and I come in to help them (the players) from the pitch as well. So it’s for the players [to try and become better],” said Jones.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 18, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »
From Barcelona to Argentina to Atlanta United. KJ and Tata Martino could be uniting.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 21, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 27, 2016, 04:51:08 PM »
Kenwyne Jones excited to work with newly named Atlanta United Coach, Gerardo "Tata" Martino
Chambers Media Solutions

After a prestigious career as the coach of the Argentine National Team, Paraguay National Team and world-class La Liga's FC Barcelona, 53-year old Gerardo "Tata" Martino will now lead Atlanta United FC into the Major League Soccer 2017 Season as their Head Coach.

Recently signed striker to the MLS expansion club, Kenwyne Jones, looks forward to working with Mr. Martino. "I'm really happy that Martino has made the decision to join us at Atlanta United - he's played at all levels of football, he's led Argentina to the top spot in the FIFA World Ranking, and he's been at the coaching helm for one of the biggest clubs in the world, FC Barcelona. He is a leader in every sense of the word, and I respect him a lot." Jones is currently in Vancouver preparing for an away game against the Whitecaps with his loan club, Central FC.

The 31 year-old Trinidad and Tobago captain sees this naming of the inaugural head coach as a continued commitment from Atlanta United Management to bring together a quality team and a quality experience in the MLS. "Definitely, it's a good look because it shows that the club is out to make a big impact. I'm excited to join camp next year, management is making historic moves, and the Atlanta United fans should be looking forward to great times for the 2017 Season."

Along with skipper Jones, Atlanta United has already signed Argentine forward Hector "Tito" Villaba as well as Homegrown Player, Andrew Carleton.

Coach Martino will be introduced by Atlanta United to the media on Wednesday, September 28, 10 AM ET, at a news conference in downtown Atlanta. T&T Striker and Captain of the Senior Men's National Team, Kenwyne Jones, will fly to Georgia to join his new club, Atlanta United, at a camp from January 1st 2017.

1]; } ?>