March 28, 2024, 02:33:44 AM

Poll

Will a Premiership side save Kenwyne when Cardiff get relegated?

Yes
6 (18.8%)
No
26 (81.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones Thread  (Read 244264 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones Thread
« Reply #1410 on: March 02, 2017, 05:37:08 AM »
Seems like anywhere he go fans gon quarrel bout him: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/kenwyne-jones-thread.2038480/

To be fair he hasn't been lighting it up for the last 2-3 years.

KJ needs to hit the reset button for club and country. I wish him every success as I think he still has all the attributes to deliver so its just on him to do his thing.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 02, 2017, 06:17:42 AM »
We get what we get from Kenwyne Jones. This guy has been playing and performing on one solid leg (knee) at one of the highest level in football for over 6 years, came back from what for many is a career ending injury. Recently re-injurying or aggravated said knees, he is not gonna improve considerably, he cannot train or run hard enuff too. If the coach has someone better, then they can use them, until then, if the coach needs a striker who can hold up, do a particular but not overly demanding role, someone with smarts and experience. Someone to lead by example, KJ is your man. If someone more dynamic is required, use someone else. Face that reality.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:19:57 AM by maxg »

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
  • he who rise against poor ppl shal perish in d end
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 05, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »
ATL vs NYRB on now....KJ started on the bench.....hopefully he sees action in the 2nd half
Soca Warriors, Holland And Barcelona,
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 18, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
Wikipedia say
Managerial style[edit]
Gerardo Martino prefers to play a very high pressing and an attacking style of football. At Barcelona, Martino continued the club's preferred style of play tiki-taka along with his own tactics. All of Martino's teams have the same distinguishable traits: they play attack-minded football, they are creative and the style is based on quick passing. In addition, Martino's teams also pressure high up the pitch, play out from the back and depend on their youth systems.[18]

The youth guys currently performing, doh think we seeing much of KJ running out for Atlanta much. Hope it doesn'r affect his Ntl team preparations and performances. Don't think I would start him vs Panama.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1414 on: March 19, 2017, 05:04:14 AM »
So they buy him to bench him which would in turn affect his performance for us in wc qualifiers..

Subterfuge and sabotage if I've even seen it when it comes to Trinidad and Tobago players and our national team

In addition, get rid of Hart who the players were actually performing for ...

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 19, 2017, 05:43:48 AM »
So they buy him to bench him which would in turn affect his performance for us in wc qualifiers..

Subterfuge and sabotage if I've even seen it when it comes to Trinidad and Tobago players and our national team

The problem here is that the Atlanta administration just selected Kenwyne Jones, who they thought was a good player with international experience,to create the foundation of the team before the coach was on board. The coach's philosophy was different; and so his selections doesn't include Kenwyne's style as a lead member of his attack. There is no conspiracy. Kenwyne may have to move on if he want's to play - maybe join Molino in Minnesota. Before moving to Orlando, there were rumors here that the coach wanted to sign him.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:30 AM »

The problem here is that the Atlanta administration just selected Kenwyne Jones, who they thought was a good player with international experience,to create the foundation of the team before the coach was on board. The coach's philosophy was different; and so his selections doesn't include Kenwyne's style as a lead member of his attack. There is no conspiracy. Kenwyne may have to move on if he want's to play - maybe join Molino in Minnesota. Before moving to Orlando, there were rumors here that the coach wanted to sign him.
  :applause:

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #1417 on: March 19, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »
I watch the last couple Atlanta games and that attack looking real good already. All lil skillful South Americans. Main striker on loan from Serie A. They playing a totally different game from the kind that KJ excels at. Only 3 games play so far, though, and there will come some times when they need a Plan B.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1418 on: March 19, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »

So the hierarchy of the team management didn't talk to the coach prior to hiring him and discuss his style and their current roster and acquisitions? KJ didn't factor into these conversations beforehand?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: March 19, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »

So the hierarchy of the team management didn't talk to the coach prior to hiring him and discuss his style and their current roster and acquisitions? KJ didn't factor into these conversations beforehand?
Coaches aren't hired to suite a particular player boss, although once established the reverse might be true..this particular coach is bigger than KJ or any individual player by far, as respect to experience, ability and marketing. Whatever he says goes or he gone... something like a Beenie

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »

Yes and no. Of course they spoke to Martino. However, not prior to KJ's signature. His acquisitions include players who otherwise would not touch MLS.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 11:20:26 AM by asylumseeker »

Online sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: March 20, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »
K J time will come
He has to make the most it when it materializes
He should be fresh and play with attitude
Man he has a lot to prove on the down side of his career
Otherwise this could be a very short stay

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1422 on: March 26, 2017, 06:01:29 AM »
Skipper Kenwyne unfazed by criticism or praises.
T&T Newsday Reports.

MEMBERS of the Trinidad and Tobago football team on Friday thanked fans for their support during Friday’s 1-0 win over Panama at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo. the result jump-start T&T’s World Cup campaign with three points from three matches.

Midfielder Kevin Molino scored in the 37th minute as T&T earned a battling victory.

Molino declined to be interviewed by the media after the game but a number of his teammates were pleased with the fan support as well as their performances under pressure.

One such person is striker Kenwyne Jones, who was back on the team - and as captain - after he was excluded from the squad altogether by previous coach Tom Saintfiet.

“I feel okay,” was his response when asked about his return to the squad. “That stuff don’t matter to me. At the end of the day, my mindset is about doing the best for Trinidad and Tobago and helping them to the place that we need to be.

“The goal is try and make it to Russia (hosts of the 2018 World Cup). We want to take it one game at a time and try to get there.” During the latter stages of former coach Stephen Hart’s tenure (Hart was fired in November), Jones bore the brunt of abuse from fans at the matches and on social media, for sub-par displays.

But his wholehearted effort on Friday saw him receive a standing ovation when he was replaced by Jamille Boatswain in the 84th minute.

However, Jones insisted, “No disrespect but I don’t work for the fans. I have 26 guys and staff members to work for, my family to work for, I have a role within the team to play and that’s what I go out there to do.

“However the fans feel after that, I’m not going to be held responsible but when it comes to the game, what I’ve done (vs Panama) I’ve been doing all the time. I’m taking flak for whatever reason but it doesn’t faze me. “I know what I have to do out there and that’s about it. At the end of the day, you always have the people who think they can do better so it’s not a big issue for me.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »
We need a goal scorer  .................
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 29, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
We need a goal scorer  .................
"Midfielders:

Andre Boucaud (Dagenham & Redbridge—ENG), Joevin Jones (Seattle Sounders FC—USA), Nathan Lewis (San Juan Jabloteh), Khaleem Hyland (KVC Westerlo—BEL), Kevan George (Jacksonville Armada—USA), Hughtun Hector (W Connection), Hashim Arcia (Defence Force), Kevin Molino (Minnesota United FC—USA), Leston Paul (Central FC), Levi Garcia (AZ Alkmaar—NED).

Forwards:

Cordell Cato (San Jose Earthquakes—USA), Kenwyne Jones (Atlanta United—USA), Willis Plaza (East Bengal FC—IND), Jamille Boatswain (Defence Force)."

Suggestions ? Doh say, "Bring back Stern John or Cornell". Unfortunately, KJ has proven to be the most competent striker at present, especially given our ability (or lack of) to get the ball to that goalscorer/striker. Maybe you know someone or think someone else deserve to be there. We have tried all the ones we know of.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: March 29, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »
However, Jones insisted, “No disrespect but I don’t work for the fans. I have 26 guys and staff members to work for, my family to work for, I have a role within the team to play and that’s what I go out there to do.

“However the fans feel after that, I’m not going to be held responsible but when it comes to the game, what I’ve done (vs Panama) I’ve been doing all the time. I’m taking flak for whatever reason but it doesn’t faze me. “I know what I have to do out there and that’s about it. At the end of the day, you always have the people who think they can do better so it’s not a big issue for me.”

He eh go say it....but I go say it fuh he.....HAMC!  And justifiably so IMO
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: March 30, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
K J time will come

Maybe now is his chance. Hearing that Atlanta's main striker has been ruled out for 4-6 weeks due to injury.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 30, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »
K J time will come

Maybe now is his chance. Hearing that Atlanta's main striker has been ruled out for 4-6 weeks due to injury.
I personally don't think he have anything to prove doh. I'm quite satisfied with his service and accomplishments, given the major injury(and operations) he experienced. Well done KJ. The rest is dessert, enjoy as much as you can, but don't try to overdo it.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1428 on: April 14, 2017, 01:52:34 AM »
Jones says sub role suiting him at Atlanta.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Kenwyne Jones has been hailed as a key contributor to Atlanta United in its recent MLS outings with Seattle Sounders and Toronto FC with his ability to come off the bench and be a target for the midfielders and defenders to hit with direct balls.

Jones, at 32, told reporters he is in fact comfortable to playing his part, even if it means coming on with the final ten to play.

“It’s something that you need to do if the game requires it. Sometimes the way the game is set up you might need to start getting in behind teams or probably holding the ball up so you can keep possession more and at least give your team a little bit of a hold on the game,” Jones said.

“You just have to prepare to do the job required. Whether you play 90 minutes or play five minutes you have to just focus and carry out your functions. I’ve been with quite a few different football coaches. I don’t think I have any adjusting to do.

“At the end of the day, I’m 32, I’ve had a long career so far. I’ve already motivated myself as a player. I’m not a player that’s fresh and trying to learn the game so I think it’s pretty easy for me to carry out the instructions that are necessary,”added Jones who also put in two solid shifts for T&T in recent World Cup qualifiers with Panama and Mexico and is again expected to be in the squad for the August qualifiers against the US and Costa Rica.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: April 14, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »
Maxg
I personally don't think he have anything to prove doh. I'm quite satisfied with his service and accomplishments, given the major injury(and operations) he experienced. Well done KJ. The rest is dessert, enjoy as much as you can, but don't try to overdo it.

In my humble opinion..Once you lace up and step unto the pitch...You are there to prove something...If you are not then you have lost your edge and it's time to step aside...If you have nothing to prove why are you participating...Just my take

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: April 14, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »
Maxg

In my humble opinion..Once you lace up and step unto the pitch...You are there to prove something...If you are not then you have lost your edge and it's time to step aside...If you have nothing to prove why are you participating...Just my take
as long as they paying him and don't have another replacement, or someone deemed better..
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=turn+down+for+what&view=detail&mid=2FD812E7AE4A44D63E482FD812E7AE4A44D63E48&FORM=VIRE

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1431 on: April 15, 2017, 04:59:38 AM »
The Kenwyne Jones Conundrum.
By Joe Patrick (dirtysouthsoccer).

The highly experienced striker hasn’t seen the field as much as we expected. The question is, “why?”

Kenwyne Jones exudes a coolness about him that makes him incredibly likeable. The long dreadlocks, his impressive size, his Caribbean twang, the willingness to put himself out there on social media — it all adds up to, in this case, a player that fans desperately want to see in action.

Except, he’s not. Why? His career is impressive for any professional soccer player, let alone a non-Designated Player in MLS, having plied his trade in the Premier League for a number of years and scored his fair share of goals. He’s 32, which makes him an older player by modern standards, but certainly not past his expiration date. And in the few minutes he’s played this year, he’s been good! For the most part, he’s come in and done as much as possible to help the team finish the game. But with Josef Martinez out the last two weeks, why haven’t we seen him in the starting lineup?

Kenwyne Jones’ strengths

As we’ve all witnessed this season (and preseason), Jones is not a very mobile player, at least not at this stage of his career. That’s not to say he doesn’t have quality, because he clearly does. He’s a player with a big body that can hold the ball well and bring other players into the game. He’s composed and doesn’t give the ball away cheaply for a striker. There’s tactical value to these qualities also. In the games in which he’s appeared (except against NYRB) Jones has done exactly what was needed of him to help the team. He talked to the media about this at the training facility Wednesday:

“You need to do what the game requires sometimes. The way the game is set up, you may need to try and get behind teams or you may need to hold the ball up to keep possession more so you can give your team a little more of a hold on the game. As a player you have to be adaptable to what's needed.”

And he’s done exactly that. Here’s some examples of his hold up play against Toronto.

Toronto v Atlanta Clip 1

Toronto v Atlanta Clip 2

Toronto v Atlanta Clip 3

This is great play from Kenwyne, no doubt. But this is the only way we’ve seen him impact the game. We have not seen him run past defenders. So, with that in mind, how would Kenwyne’s ability affect the way Atlanta plays?

Tata Martino’s preference for fast strikers

Matthew Doyle, mlssoccer.com’s lead columnist, wrote an article specifically about Atlanta’s match last weekend against Toronto, calling it the game of the season. In that piece he specifically talks about how “pressing teams don’t like to be pressed” and he’s spot on. It’s a high-risk approach at times, but it can be effective if done properly. It even works outside of MLS, in leagues that don’t have the same kind of parity. For example, Mauricio Pochettino had relatively great success during his time at Espanyol against Barcelona employing his trademark pressing tactic. In 9 games, Espanyol won once and drew three times. (It’s important to remember that this was during Pep Guardiola’s peak at Barca, an era in which Messi & Co. were running riot through La Liga and UEFA Champions League). Sure, his team lost against the Catalan giants more often than not, but by putting pressure on Barcelona — Sergio Busquets in particular — the team had a fighting chance to win. Pressing teams don’t want to be pressed

In the match Saturday night, Toronto’s press proved effective in theory, but it didn’t provide cover for its center backs, facing one of the fastest players in MLS in Tito Villalba. Atlanta struggled to build from the back, but the team still nabbed two goals on long, direct play through the middle to Villalba running in behind.

Perhaps this is the reason why Martino wants a fast striker up top. It’s natural to expect Atlanta to take time in adapting to Martino’s preferred style, and this probably isn’t the last time we’ll see them struggle to pass the ball out of defense. The antidote to this, however, is to have a player like Villalba or Martinez who’s ready to strike quickly on the other end. This forces the opposition center backs to drop deeper (in effect creating wider spaces in midfield for Atlanta to play through), or leave themselves extremely vulnerable to long, direct passes to the striker.

And speaking of Martino’s preferred tactics, it’s important to remember that Jones signed with Atlanta before Tata Martino joined the club. Would Jones have been signed if Martino was already there? Does it even matter? Only time will tell.

The cost of keeping Jones on the bench

I’m not talking metaphorically here, I’m talking literal dollars and cents. Kenwyne Jones is rumored to be one of Atlanta United’s top earners in the $400k-$450k per year range. To have a player earn that much money and see the field as little as Jones has so far is a huge waste. On the other hand, if Jones were to have played every minute for Atlanta and the team had struggled to score goals, that would be an even bigger waste. If Darren Eales and Paul McDonough are to continue to build a squad that squeezes the maximum value out of every dollar they spend, something has to give. Either Jones needs to be used more in the squad (especially during times like these when injuries and suspensions are mounting), or they need to find a way to get him off the books. I think all of us Atlanta supporters would prefer the former, but it can’t be at the expense of the team’s performance.

What do you think? Will Kenwyne finally get a start this weekend while Yamil Asad serves his suspension? You’d think it would be the ideal time, but we’ve said that before...

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: April 15, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
Skipper Jones first start and first goal of the season....min 40th with ah expert & very tidy finish...excellent stuff!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:06:49 PM by breezers »
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: April 17, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »
ATL vs Montreal highlights
<a href="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_LCnz-jpm04" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_LCnz-jpm04</a>
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: April 18, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »
WATCH: The Sports Inquirer went to the press conference of Atlanta United forward Kenwyne Jones after practice on April 18. He discussed the team's road loss to Montreal last week, MLS officiating with red cards, playing on the road for four straight weeks and finding playing time with the team.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AAnyugIAXao" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AAnyugIAXao</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: April 18, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
KJ is finding out that the US is a different kettle of fish as far as media questions etc.

But he is intelligent and accounts for himself well.

Wish him loads of success. Would like him to have a 2nd world cup  ;D

Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: April 18, 2017, 11:33:44 PM »
playing on the road for four straight weeks

Lot's of Euros, especially the English deride the MLS as bush league. But these the players come face to face with this kind of reality in US football. long distance travelling. Not a cozy 45 mins. coach drive  from city to city.

But I read where their home field is not yet ready.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:25:40 AM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones enjoying life in Atlanta
« Reply #1437 on: April 27, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »
Kenwyne Jones enjoying life in Atlanta
By Brittany Arnold (atlutd.com)

Atlanta United have been on the road for five of the seven matches played so far this season. A great scenario for building team chemistry but not ideal for acclimating to a new home. Kenwyne Jones, having traveled to Atlanta throughout his career for competitions like the Gold Cup, said it’s simple. We need more time here.

“To be quite honest I haven't had a lot of time to adjust, seeing that from preseason to international games to our recent travels, it’s been a little bit difficult. But from the little time I’ve had it’s been very nice. Atlanta is a very interesting place,” said Jones.

During his short time in Atlanta, Jones has been able to discover a few unique places in the city including the popular, Top Golf.

“A few times I’ve been to places like Top Golf, a few restaurants around the city,” said Jones. “I have quite a few friends out here, people I went to school with, so I have some people to go places with.”

While this may be a great starting point for Jones, he still has plenty to explore, but the site-seeing wasn't the only reason Jones was excited for the move.

“I’ve been a traveler for almost half of my life, I’ve been to Atlanta a couple of times in the Gold Cup tournaments but moving here was exciting: a new team, the history that goes along with that, and a plus is I am closer to home,” said Jones.

Atlanta United have been dealing with a lot of adjustment as a new expansion team, but you wouldn’t be able to tell judging from their performance together on the pitch. Getting to know the city will happen in due time, but for now, having an avid fan base like Atlanta has proven a major factor in making them feel right at home.

“I think the people of Atlanta, Georgia by extension, have been very welcoming. I’ve seen in the past on other MLS teams how fans receive their players and support the club, I didn’t expect what we’ve received here,” said Jones.

Accompanied by the fan’s raving support, the team will continue to feel the welcoming spirits, especially when they play in the fortress of their home.

“For the fans to be so supportive and so in-tune with the team is quite amazing,” Jones remarked. “To see the home crowd is amazing for me personally, and I hope it doesn’t die down. I hope that we always have full support throughout this season and seasons to come.”

Jones and his teammates will have plenty of time to get to know Atlanta, but what he knows in this very moment is that the people of Atlanta are setting the bar very high in regards to league support.

“I know the people of Atlanta are very excited about our team and I hope this franchise can set the bar for fan support for years and years to come,” said Jones.

Atlanta United are currently enjoying a week at home in the ATL following a four-match road stretch in the last month. So this Sunday’s sold out match in Bobby Dodd Stadium against D.C. United will act as a “homecoming” for a team that is just seven games into its inaugural season.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: April 30, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »
WATCH: Kenwyne Jones amores his second goal of the season in Atlanta United’s 3-1 loss to DC United

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8sesgQxTPtc?start=60" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8sesgQxTPtc?start=60</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1]; } ?>