March 28, 2024, 05:00:50 PM

Poll

Will a Premiership side save Kenwyne when Cardiff get relegated?

Yes
6 (18.8%)
No
26 (81.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones Thread  (Read 244403 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
With Josef Martinez still out, Atlanta leaning on Kenwyne Jones at striker
« Reply #1440 on: May 12, 2017, 07:49:57 PM »
With Josef Martinez still out, Atlanta leaning on Kenwyne Jones at striker
By Eric Quintana (MLSsoccer.com)

In Josef Martinez’s absence, Atlanta United have consistently called upon Kenwyne Jones to play in the lone striker position favored by head coach Tata Martino.

Despite Jones and Martinez being two completely different players with unique skillsets, Martino has been adamant that Atlanta will continue to look to build out of the back and quickly break teams down on the run regardless of which striker is starting.

“When we have Kenwyne playing, he’s very good in the air and we try and take advantage of his physicality and ability to win balls in the air,” Martino said on Thursday. “Josef, when he plays, not only is he a great finisher but he’s also able to participate in the team’s movements and can circulate the ball.”

The Trinidadian has started the last four matches, scoring two goals and adding an aerial presence to a pacey attack. But in those four games, Atlanta have looked less dangerous than they did with Martinez in the lineup, scoring only a goal per game and losing three of four.

“I don’t think it’s any different. If it looks any different that’s because players themselves choose to do something different,” Jones said.

Martinez has already passed the six-week timeline initially established by the club for his return after he suffered a leg injury during international duty in March. Martino says he’ll stick with one center forward once Martinez does return.

“When both players were healthy and able to train and play, Martinez was the starter and Jones was on the bench,” Martino said. “Outside of special circumstances in which we use both players, what we’ll keep doing is play with one lone center forward.”

Tito Villalba has been the third option as a lone striker, with speed matching or exceeding Martinez's that could present a similar danger to opposing backlines. Villalba scored two goals against Toronto in his best game as a lone striker, and created dangerous opportunities against Seattle.

“I think the team adapts to whoever is playing in that position and, right now, Kenwyne is occupying that position,” Villalba said.

Martino seems in no particular hurry to rush Martinez back despite the recent attacking struggles.

“He’s been out for a number of weeks now. So, we’re going to be have careful and it’ll probably be a progression to get him back into the lineup,” Martino said.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
KJ
« Reply #1441 on: June 08, 2017, 07:46:18 PM »
Thanks for you service Carlos
You too Kenwyne

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: KJ
« Reply #1442 on: June 13, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »
You too Kenwyne

Need to reiterate this again. Team looks much better without them.

Thank you fellas you've done yeoman service
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:41:16 PM by MEP »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 13, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »
You too Kenwyne

nah man boatswain first touch, hold up play and positional sense was atrocious at best diabolical at worst
I pity the fool....

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 14, 2017, 11:40:20 AM »
You too Kenwyne

Stop smoking crack.  No way this team looks anything near better without KJ.  Allyuh must learn to put bias aside and be objective sometimes.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 14, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »
You too Kenwyne

Stop smoking crack.  No way this team looks anything near better without KJ.  Allyuh must learn to put bias aside and be objective sometimes.
Are you sure I'm the one smoking crack?  Look at your statement, it is more inferential of bias than mine. Anyway up until recently I was an advocate of KJ but the reality of late is that he doesn't bring anything of value on the field.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: June 15, 2017, 08:10:53 AM »
You too Kenwyne

Are you sure I'm the one smoking crack?  Look at your statement, it is more inferential of bias than mine. Anyway up until recently I was an advocate of KJ but the reality of late is that he doesn't bring anything of value on the field.

More nonsense.  On defensive set pieces he organizes the team and 80% of the time is the first head on the ball clearing it.  That is very valuable.  In fact I am of the opinion that the opening goal in CR doesn't score from a corner with KJ in the lineup.  His hold up play is second to none on that team.  Neither Botswain or any other forward option can deliver that. Value!  His areal ability is the best in CONCACAF. It's not his fault that the team doesn't deploy this particular weapon often.  Which other forward option can threaten opponents and potentially outjump keepers?  My response is not about bias it's about recognized value.  Even Carlos still has some value left in terms of overall football IQ and defensive positioning.  I guess lucky for us you not the coach  ::)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones Thread
« Reply #1447 on: June 15, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »
You too Kenwyne

More nonsense.  On defensive set pieces he organizes the team and 80% of the time is the first head on the ball clearing it.  That is very valuable.  In fact I am of the opinion that the opening goal in CR doesn't score from a corner with KJ in the lineup.  His hold up play is second to none on that team.  Neither Botswain or any other forward option can deliver that. Value!  His areal ability is the best in CONCACAF. It's not his fault that the team doesn't deploy this particular weapon often.  Which other forward option can threaten opponents and potentially outjump keepers?  My response is not about bias it's about recognized value.  Even Carlos still has some value left in terms of overall football IQ and defensive positioning.  I guess lucky for us you not the coach  ::)

agree with this. d only thing I does take issue with, is he does shutdown too quick when an attack breakdown....US second goal started  with him taking a poor shot that got deflected, then not pressing d defense to get it back or buy time for our defense to reorganize....u don't just stop playin when/where he stop playin.......and YES he simply stopped!!!!! even continuing to track ball, even if not aggressively, would have helped
I pity the fool....

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 15, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
So our #9 ......our target player player...... serves the team best on set pieces and defensive organization..... lol

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 15, 2017, 03:01:28 PM »
So our #9 ......our target player player...... serves the team best on set pieces and defensive organization..... lol

You must have something personal with him because unless football terminology change "hold up play ability" and aerial prowess are 2 of the main characteristics required of a target man.

Who do you have to reccomend that can do those things even half as well as him?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: June 15, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »
really dude? I would go out on a limb to say that if Kenny was not injured in that game with martinuque we would have been in the gold cup and had he not been injured on tuesday we would have left Costa Rica with some points probably all of it because Costa Rica was ripe for a beating, sadly boatswain couldn't jump high enough to connect with some of those perfect crosses neither could he stay onside long enough  to save his skin.

not knocking the lad kudos to him he was very impressive particularly playing on this level for the first time but Kenny would have at least buried one of those chances that that boatswain and arcia missed.   

most of us tend not to see the input of hyland kenwin and molino but in reality those guys put in a lot of work a lot of running particularly movement off the ball. a friend of mine who works for the pro league informed me tat Carlos Edwards is the best and fittest defender in the pro league, and at 38. Now you do the math. Rafa Marquez still has a role in the mexican national team so does Bryan ruiz in costa Rica  and the other Ruiz in guatemala, so why throw away a perfectly good player because of age?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:30:52 PM by pull stones »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: June 15, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »
I just hope that when the next wcq campaign comes along, that KJ is still available.. Right now I dont see anyone capable of replacing him.

CBs in Concacaf hate having him as an assignment. . Trust meh

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: June 15, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
I just hope that when the next wcq campaign comes along, that KJ is still available.. Right now I dont see anyone capable of replacing him.

KJ is by far the most under appreciated footballer in T&T history

That by itself is a serious indictment of the footballing IQ of many T&T football "fans"
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #1453 on: June 15, 2017, 09:20:32 PM »
He eh have no beats, tho.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #1454 on: June 15, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »
He eh have no beats, tho.

this made me chuckle. Also, i'm going to have to agree with Palos. He's definitely made into a scape goat for a lot of other issues with the team.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1455 on: June 16, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »

KJ is by far the most under appreciated footballer in T&T history

That by itself is a serious indictment of the footballing IQ of many T&T football "fans"

You can't blame KJ for a green coach

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 16, 2017, 02:48:35 AM »
Some here need to review tape ...before committing thier fingers to publish nonsense
To many agendas..which are not in the NT best interest
Go review some tape and come again and review the nonsensical statements being made
You only miss the water when the well run dry
Talk done

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 16, 2017, 06:38:26 AM »
Unlike some of our past striker, KJ was never a great dribbler. In tight spaces he is suspect. But his other attributes far outweigh that other limitation. He is a great header of the ball, both offensively and defensively. He always pose a threat to defenders. He can be clinical at times. The goal he scored in Guatemala. A quarter chance I called it. I think that goal have us in this hexagonal right now. The problem with KJ is the lack of a strong midfield. He does not get consistent service. Plus most time we playing one man up front. It is quite obvious he struggles on most occasions.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 16, 2017, 06:47:09 AM »
How many target players have dribbling as their first action of resort? You need your target to be economical and effective in movement, bring others into the attack and occupy the GK and defenders. Dribbling is only helpful for penetration, but by the time your target gets the ball, that is/should mostly be resolved. Again, look at Zlatan.

In any event, KJ may not "beats" but he can shake. Shouldn't have to be said. In that inspired game he had at the HCS v Panama, he dropped his shoulder, sold the opponent and kept the ball circulating ... it was an occasion on which he came to meet the ball at the top of the middle third. That aspect caught my attention.

Go back and read the first few posts on this thread from a decade ago. Eye-opening stuff.

I understand what MEP is conveying, but I doh necessarily agree the team played better without KJ. I would say they played differently.

There's much that could be fixed.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:54:43 AM by asylumseeker »

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 16, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
How many target players have dribbling as their first action of resort? You need your target to be economical and effective in movement, bring others into the attack and occupy the GK and defenders. Dribbling is only helpful for penetration, but by the time your target gets the ball, that is/should mostly be resolved. Again, look at Zlatan.

In any event, KJ may not "beats" but he can shake. Shouldn't have to be said. In that inspired game he had at the HCS v Panama, he dropped his shoulder, sold the opponent and kept the ball circulating ... it was an occasion on which he came to meet the ball at the top of the middle third. That aspect caught my attention.

Go back and read the first few posts on this thread from a decade ago. Eye-opening stuff.

I understand what MEP is conveying, but I doh necessarily agree the team played better without KJ. I would say they played differently.

There's much that could be fixed.

And that right there is the key.  There was a difference in approach which I think was a result of Botswain not having the same tools in his arsenal.  I feel if KJ get 3 good balls in the air per game he will score at least 1.  The man is a monster header and for whatever reason we can't seem to consistently use that threat.  Look at that ball Hyland floated in there in Colorado.  KJ climb the ladder to get it and had Howard been indecisive or hesitate just slightly on his challenge for it KJ was more than likely putting that in the net.  I guess his limitations as it pertains to tricks make him a very unattractive footballer in our culture.  Meanwhile none of the best teams in CONCACAF would reject a player of his abilities if they had him.  We on the other hand seem like we can't wait to be rid of him, only to be replaced by who? Glenn, Cesar, Botswain, etc.  Yeah that makes loads of sense ::)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: June 16, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »
Scorpion,like I pointed out, our lacked of consistent midfield play is the main cause of KJ inabilities when playing for TT. We get a stronger midfield, story done.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: June 16, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »
People forget that  KJ started as a great youth defender in our youth teams (U17 and U19) and was converted to a forward while in the England First division. I think that if we could find a potent striker, he will be invaluable on this, not very deep, team as a holding midfielder. Till then he is still one of the best options we have up front with his strength and ability to use his head (no pun intended).
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: June 16, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
At his age, I don't think he has the legs to be a holding midfielder. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago. But we never really know until we try it.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1463 on: June 19, 2017, 02:02:14 AM »
T&T looked different without skipper Jones says Look Loy.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

KENWYNE JONES’ injury and subsequent replacement by Jamille Boatswain, moments before the start of last Tuesday’s 2018 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Zone Final Round qualifier between Trinidad and Tobago and Costa Rica, may have seen TT attacking qualities more frequently throughout the game, according to ex-national youth team coach Keith Look Loy.

T&T were beaten 2-1 at the Costa Rica National Stadium in San Jose, but Look Loy pointed out that the absence of Jones, the national captain and striker, saw the speedy Boatswain, as well as midfielders Kevin Molino, Joevin Jones and Nathan Lewis, in use more often than the Costa Ricans would have anticipated.

“We saw a hint of the potential of this team when we play with an approach that I think is more natural and more rationale, given the abilities and the strengths of our players, which is quick counter-attacks into the spaces, along the sides of the pitch and behind the opposing defence,” said Look Loy, during a recent interview.

“The injury to Kenwyne Jones, and I hope he’s alright, gave the opportunity for us to play without him,” he continued. “I have been saying that successive coaches should have been doing so for years now. We looked dangerous when we allowed our players to run.

“When we’re playing with Kenwyne Jones, and his hold-up play, the attack is static, even stagnant.

When we were able to release men on the sides of the pitch and release Boatswain up front, we created panic in the Costa Rican team.” Commenting on the match itself, Look Loy, who is also the president of the Trinidad and Tobago Super League, as well as coach of FC Santa Rosa, noted, “We should not have lost.

“We should have at least drawn (but) didn’t, if only because the assistant referee, who was probably no more than 15 yards away, with a clear sight-line, didn’t give what was an obvious penalty (against Boatswain in the 51st minute).

“These things happen in football, as hard as they are to stomach.” But Look Loy pointed out, “The reason why we lost the game was because (of) a very poor defensive performance that allowed two goals, too much space allowed to opponents, in and around the penalty area, and they penalised us for it.” On the flip side, he said, “We got a favour from Honduras with that (2-2) draw in Panama City.

Panama haven’t been going very well and they have been dropping points at home, where we have to go. I never give up and I believe we must fight till the end.

“I think with changes in formation and changes in selection, and if we get all points in Panama (and at home to) Honduras, and all points against the United States, that would give us 12. Call me a dreamer, I have not given up hope as yet.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 19, 2017, 03:09:43 AM »
and these are the people who control football in this country? how convenient an observation from a man who should know better. seems to me that mr lok Loy has a case of amnesia especially when we could not even get passed Grenada with this speedy squad he speaks of.

we also fell to the haitians without jones so did the martiniqans getting booted out both the copa centinario and the gold cup, and fell to the haitians again when we failed to clinch the fifth spot right at home in our own back yard.

another thing lok Loy conveniently forgot to reiterate was the fact that we loss that game in Costa Rica 2 goals to 1, one goal coming from a set piece which im sure had jones been on the pitch would not have scored and the crosses that boatswain could not get on to jones would have buried. since when playing well and losing was an option especially when we desperately needs points to stay in the hunt? only in trinidad  people are contented with mediocrity.

mr lok Loy also failed to realize that jones is the fastest player on our team, where do people get the idea that jones is slow? in the EPL he was recorded as the 3rd fastest player in the league. he also occupies two defensive players sometimes three depending on the team which free up other attackers to have clear looks on goal, but these attackers often miss their chances and fail to covert, that's not jone's fault. goes to show how much these petty small minded football gurus in TT really know about the sport

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:18:56 AM by pull stones »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #1465 on: June 19, 2017, 09:12:57 AM »
mr lok Loy also failed to realize that jones is the fastest player on our team, where do people get the idea that jones is slow? in the EPL he was recorded as the 3rd fastest player in the league.
I agree with your general sentiments, but this part was when he was younger and before the knee injury. KJ ain't too fast no more.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 19, 2017, 02:13:35 PM »
mr lok Loy also failed to realize that jones is the fastest player on our team, where do people get the idea that jones is slow? in the EPL he was recorded as the 3rd fastest player in the league.
I agree with your general sentiments, but this part was when he was younger and before the knee injury. KJ ain't too fast no more.
beg to differ mate. Kenny came into the league with sunderland in 2007 and got injured a year later in a friendly where calamity james wrecked his knee. a year or two later i saw him in action at villa park where big John carew had his hands full with the runs down the line and the middle blowing passed everyone, he may have lost a step or two but he is still very fast.

his opening game at stoke which I believe was vs hull city where he blew passed everyone which saw his shot  sliding off the cross bar the commentators and fans alike were in awe of how easily he blew passed his markers and was very unlucky not to score.

as for all the KJ detractors, until Jovin, molino and boatswain go to europe and average 12 goals a season and the same number of assist, then they should zip it and I am no kenwin jones supporter. IMO he could have worked on some of the most important aspects of his game which would have made him a super star, but instead became complaisant like every other TT player who opted for chasing skirt and the night life.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
beg to differ mate. Kenny came into the league with sunderland in 2007 and got injured a year later in a friendly where calamity james wrecked his knee. a year or two later i saw him in action at villa park where big John carew had his hands full with the runs down the line and the middle blowing passed everyone, he may have lost a step or two but he is still very fast.

his opening game at stoke which I believe was vs hull city where he blew passed everyone which saw his shot  sliding off the cross bar the commentators and fans alike were in awe of how easily he blew passed his markers and was very unlucky not to score.

as for all the KJ detractors, until Jovin, molino and boatswain go to europe and average 12 goals a season and the same number of assist, then they should zip it and I am no kenwin jones supporter. IMO he could have worked on some of the most important aspects of his game which would have made him a super star, but instead became complaisant like every other TT player who opted for chasing skirt and the night life.

You eh easy nah.  Yuh givin with one hand and takin away with the other easy easy :rotfl:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1468 on: June 22, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »

Life is short, people have to enjoy life too brother lol

I agree fully with you on your above statements, a rarity but it was spot on..

People underestimate jones and what he brings, Hart saw this and utilized it, Tallest following orders, so we won't see his best efforts for Trinidad and Tobago currently... plus he's green and doesn't have the guts to try what Hart tried nor can he under the sabotage of the dictator

Jones was collateral damage of Hart and his departure

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 22, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
Let me refresh some memories- What we are saying about KJ , we said the same thing about Stern John.
 I would hate to be a striker playing for T&T. He gets blamed for everything. Now if the midfield is not providing for the lone striker, what is the poor man to do when he is isolated most of the time. KJ strength is his head and he needs to get some decent crosses in the box to be effective.

1]; } ?>