April 23, 2024, 12:21:37 AM

Author Topic: Nike Buys Umbro  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
Nike Buys Umbro
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:51:24 AM »
Source - Wall Street Journal.

I think this is significant.
--------
In a move to expand its presence in the world of soccer, Nike Inc. said it has reached an agreement to acquire Umbro PLC, a British apparel, footwear and sports-equipment company for approximately £285 million, or about $582 million.

Beaverton, Ore.-based Nike sees soccer as an important growth category in its competition with European titans Adidas and Puma. Umbro will join Nike's stable of subsidiary brands which include Converse, maker of the Chuck Taylor sneaker, fashion label Cole Haan and Hurley, a popular maker of surf and skate clothing.

In a statement, Nike Chief Executive Mark Parker said the deal will "significantly expand Nike's global leadership in football, a key growth category for Nike." Umbro CEO Steve Makin said the company expects to "be a stronger and better business as part of Nike," touting the benefits for shareholders.

The 193.06 pence-a-share all-cash offer, which together with the declared interim dividend of 1.94 pence values the company at about £285 million, or 195 pence per share, comes just days after Umbro confirmed it had received a takeover approach from an unidentified party, fueling speculation that Nike was the bidder.

The offer was well received by investors and analysts, but a deal may be complicated, with rival U.K. sportswear groups Sports Direct International PLC and JJB Sports PLC owning around 25% of Umbro.

Seymour Pierce analyst Andrew Wade said Nike's offer was a good price for the business, but with Sports Direct and JJB holding major stakes in Umbro and concern about the future of the England soccer kit deal, it's "not necessarily over." "However, at this level, we would accept the offer," said Mr. Wade, who retains a "hold" rating on Umbro.

Eunan McLaughlin, Nike's executive vice president and general manager for Europe, Middle East and Africa, said he placed "courtesy calls" to Umbro's two big shareholders, Sports Direct and JJB, earlier Tuesday, and is awaiting responses from both parties. Sports Direct holds a 15% stake in Umbro, while JJB last week acquired around a 10% holding.

Spokesmen for Sport Direct and JJB weren't immediately available for comment.

Nike's bid represents a premium of approximately 61% to the closing price of 120 pence on Oct. 17, the last business day prior to Umbro's announcement that it had received an approach.

Umbro shares closed at 165 pence in London Monday, valuing the company at £241 million. Shares rose 15% to 190 pence Tuesday on the news. Sports Direct advanced 3.3% to 148 pence and JJB increased 5.2% to 171 pence in a higher London market.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Nike Buys Umbro
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 06:28:44 AM »
Damn son.
Nike is de devil.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:03:41 AM »

Source : BBC News

Nike to buy Umbro in £285m deal
England players
Recent England kit sales have been disappointing
Umbro, the maker of the England football team's kit, has agreed to be bought by US sportswear giant Nike in a deal worth £285m ($580m).

Nike said the deal would allow it to "significantly expand" its presence in "a key growth category" for the firm.

As well as providing kit for the England team, Umbro also supplies the kit for six Premier League clubs.

The Football Association said Nike had assured it that the FA's relationship with Umbro would be protected.

Manchester-based Umbro said last month that sales of England tops had been "disappointing", and analysts are concerned that sales could suffer if England fail to qualify for next year's European Championship.

Defensive moves

Speculation had been rising that Nike was set to launch a bid after Umbro said last week that it had received an approach about a possible offer.

ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS WITH UMBRO KIT
Birmingham
Blackburn
Everton
Sunderland
West Ham
Wigan

See Umbro's share price

On Friday, retailer JJB Sports bought a 10.1% stake in Umbro in a move to protect its stake in the market for England football shirts.

The owner of rival retailer Sports World, Sports Direct International, already owns a 15% stake in Umbro.

In addition to the England team, Umbro also provides kit for the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, and Sweden.

In the Scottish Premier League, Umbro supplies kit to Rangers and Hearts.

'Excellent deal'

Under the terms of the offer, Umbro shareholders will receive 193.06p for each share. In Tuesday morning trade Umbro's shares stood up 23p, or 14%, at 188p.

There is an ongoing battle between Nike and Adidas to sign up the very top teams
Nigel Currie, Brand Rapport

The chief executive of Umbro, Steve Makin, said the offer was an "excellent deal" for shareholders.

"We will be a stronger and better business as part of Nike and this deal will allow us to accelerate our existing growth strategy by leveraging Nike's global resources and expertise," he added.

Brian Barwick, the chief executive of the FA, said: "We are delighted that the proposed acquisition will allow us to continue our strong historical relationship with Umbro while benefiting from the marketing expertise and financial strength of Nike."

"Nike has provided firm assurances that the FA relationship with Umbro will be protected and enhanced, and we look forward to working closely with both companies moving forward," Mr Barwick added.

'World class brand'

Nike began moving into football in the early 1990s and has been steadily expanding its share of the market, catching up with German rival Adidas.

"There is an ongoing battle between Nike and Adidas to sign up the very top teams," said Nigel Currie, director at sports brand experts Brand Rapport.

"From a marketability point of view, the Nike brand is very appealing to top clubs and international federations," he added.

In its offer document, Nike said Umbro was "a world-class, authentic football brand, with well established positions in key growth markets and a deep football heritage".

"As such, Umbro is highly complementary to Nike's existing football business and it is intended that it will operate as an independent, UK headquartered Nike affiliate," the US firm said.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:16:48 AM »
old news but hey nike can't take all d spot light  :devil:

Adidas-Salomon AG completed its acquisition of Reebok International Ltd.

The new company will have revenue in the range of $11.8 billion, narrowing the gap with competitor Nike Inc., which reported $13.7 billion in revenue in 2005.

Several leadership changes are under way. Paul Fireman is stepping down as CEO of Reebok International Ltd., but will serve as an advisor to Herbert Hainer, adidas-Salomon AG (ADDYY.PK) chairman and CEO.

Adidas and Reebok also each recently named new brand presidents: Erich Stamminger was named president and CEO of the Adidas brand, and Paul Harrington was appointed to serve as president and CEO of the Reebok brand. Mark King, however, will remain president and CEO of TaylorMade-adidas Golf.

The strategic direction for the new company will be unveiled in April.

"By combining two of the most respected and well-known brands in the worldwide sporting goods industry, the new Group will benefit from a more competitive worldwide platform, well-defined and complementary brand identities, a wider range of products, and a stronger presence across teams, athletes, events and leagues," said Hainer.

Reebok will also retain its headquarters in Canton, Mass., and Herzogenaurach, Germany will remain the global corporate headquarters for the Adidas Group.

Under the terms of the agreement announced on Aug. 3, 2005, Reebok shareholders will receive $59 per share in cash, totaling approximately $3.8 billion. Trading in Reebok's common stock was halted Wednesday.

Subsidiaries of the merged company include TaylorMade, Rockport, Greg Norman Collection, MAXFLI, CCM, Jofa and Koho.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:20:55 AM »
nobody doh want reebok...Adidas could take dem and shove it up. Reebok tugs does look like ah square-tip.  Dey does make nice NFL cleats doh. Dey should stick to dat. Buying reebok was ah waste ah money if dey looking at becoming dominant in de football sport.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:52:43 AM »
nobody doh want reebok...Adidas could take dem and shove it up. Reebok tugs does look like ah square-tip.  Dey does make nice NFL cleats doh. Dey should stick to dat. Buying reebok was ah waste ah money if dey looking at becoming dominant in de football sport.
I'm sure Adidas didn't buy Reebok to become dominant in football...not given what Adidas' market share in that area already is.

Now the Nike deal....wow!  That I'm impressed with.  Good to see Nike being really serious about expanding it's football presence...they already outfitted the US, Brazil...I believe Italy and the Netherlands as well...but locking up Umbro is huge too.  Now I can get my Nike England shirt  :D

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:08:44 AM »
I'm sure Adidas didn't buy Reebok to become dominant in football...not given what Adidas' market share in that area already is.

Now the Nike deal....wow!  That I'm impressed with.  Good to see Nike being really serious about expanding it's football presence...they already outfitted the US, Brazil...I believe Italy and the Netherlands as well...but locking up Umbro is huge too.  Now I can get my Nike England shirt  :D

Italy have puma

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:33:51 AM »

Italy have puma
Okay...

I know Nike sponsored them in 2002 though, so that must be a relatively new deal.  Incidentally, just to show how small a circle we talking about here...PUMA was founded (not sure if he still owns it) by Rudolph Dassler, brother of Adidas founder, Adi Dassler (now you know where 'AdiDas' got it's name).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 11:35:51 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:39:58 AM »
Nike has done quite a bit in the relatively short time they have been around.

In the old board, truthseeker had a post about the nike vs adidas war.

We then went on to the adidas vs puma war.

Working in the US and dealing with some of these retailers in a football environment the nike rep in 2001 told me that their short term aim was to lock down every top player in the world and that the 2006 WC was supposed to shock Germany and mash up adidas in their hometown. It was also critical that they outfitted most of the finalists.

I like how puma gettin into the mix now with a revamped marketing and product campaign.

As for me I am a adidas/puma man...in terms of football stocks.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 01:44:01 PM »
as sesame street aptly put it BIG FISH eats little fish
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 05:53:50 PM »
the rich getting richer!!!!

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile