April 19, 2024, 05:25:25 AM

Author Topic: So Vex - ah Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So Vex - ah Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 24, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »
So I wake up this morning, de usual, look to my left to see who it is sleeping in the bed, this time it was a young ting from de islands.  Red, nice legs, everything nice and fat...

After ah hit she 2-3 cuff, ah put on the TV to catch the 6:00 am news with that cat - Tom Sawyer mother (Dianne).

I've never been so angry in years (other than the time this Indian gal tell meh she making baby for De Rat).  Anyways, the report out of San Diego and parts of CA they declared disaster areas were painful to look at and listen to.

They reported many of these displaced people having access to counseling, body massages, kosher meals, having their pets with them in shelters, etc. 

Total luxury……...

Wha going on here?  Wha make these white devils so special?  What is the difference between these humans and those from the Katrina disaster?
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
Re: So Vex - ah Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »
One point of view is .... ah doh tink dat dey special nah rat...is jes dat the authorities learn from Katrina and dey definitely can't afford tuh make the same mistakes.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 04:58:46 PM »
Na, I cah believe they using State and FEMA $$ for body massages.

I'm sold on this being a race/class issue.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:18:10 PM »

i totallya rgree wiht u espcially class issue.
race not so much cause red white poeple get screwed over katrina also.
learn my ass. i with u rat. dais real assness one set gettign massages while the other set coulnda get water...

by the way...dat woman have frens???
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 05:21:36 PM »

learn my ass. i with u rat. dais real assness one set gettign massages while the other set coulnda get water...

yeah, but she sister and them teeth rotten
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »

yeah, but she sister and them teeth rotten

i dais de jagdeo sisters from debe?? one ah dem have ha k-foot?
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 05:31:27 PM »
I was kinda reading the same tongue say.

The lessons learned from Katrina will benefit every other disaster that hit the states from this point on.....unfortunately in this case the people who was needed the least assistance got the most help

Peter pay big for Paul

On the other hand,, some men say osama mighta be involved so dey mus be was waitin
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-07-11-alqaeda-fire_x.htm

ah tort Rat and Cat doh get along?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 07:11:27 PM »
ah wash meh hands ass off ah allyuh americanas yes.
Acres bunnin down but yet dem showing inside how she name Jane Seymour mansion of dey things dat go be destoryed if fire catch up wid she house. How Clint Eastwood say he not moving cause he movie hadda finish with Angelina Jodie acting in it. How some expensive restaurant serving all dem fireman dey expensive fish for free...  Dat is headline news ???
Oh shit man... >:(

Tongue and Dutty, ah going with Rat on dis one...
He right, this has nothing to do with learning from Katrina's mistakes. This has everything to do with where dis fire taking place. 

Ah watching BBC news dese days  >:(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:15:16 PM by Innoncencia Rash »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 07:44:13 PM »
Eh alyuh dem people live in the hills up ,up ,up in the sky.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »
There's a BIG difference between California and Louisiana my bretheren.  The homes that are being threatened are not in the city and are not what you would call low income housing.

The Bush administration has given billions to Big Oil but he recently vetoed a bill that would give free health care to 1.5 million low income children because it would cost too much.

In the US those who have the most need often get the least. 

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 08:39:34 PM »
There's a BIG difference between California and Louisiana my bretheren.  The homes that are being threatened are not in the city and are not what you would call low income housing.
The Bush administration has given billions to Big Oil but he recently vetoed a bill that would give free health care to 1.5 million low income children because it would cost too much.
I concur
having said that California is the wealthiest State in the Union where as Louisiana is one of the poorest.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 09:35:46 PM »
I concur
having said that California is the wealthiest State in the Union where as Louisiana is one of the poorest.

If I recall correctly one of the driving forces for the election of the Governator was inability of the the governor to deal with overwhelming deficit. A deficit that if divided by the population is very similar to most states. 

With regards to news coverage. Ultimately stations are in the business of making money. So in a society obsessed with celebs, there revenue is obtained from reporting on those in popular culture (think Princess Di). We after all do live in a capitalistic society. and in a capitalistic society like  Ms  Innoncencia  pointed out you can always watch something else.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 06:28:44 AM »
I concur

i feel this is a CLASS issue and since most of the wealthy people in California are white .... by extension race comes into the issue.

Rich people have more and will likely receive better treatment than poor people ..
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 08:15:39 AM »
Look this morning....BUSH say he taking money from the federal fund to help the victims and he way right now to see the fire....what dey mudda neck  >:(

When this fire started, not this weekend gone ??? How much people dead, not 3 ? Now they bawling that arson may play ah part on how some of the fires started.

Did he EVER reach to New Orleans - ah cyah remember ? If he did, how long did it take him to reach there ??? How much dead, how much people STILL displaced?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:19:36 AM by Innoncencia »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 11:14:44 AM »

I eh know about massages...I'm sure the real story is that they paid for it themselves.

I don't see how people could be vex that they responding AS THEY SHOULD to the fire.

You could be vex they didn't respond properly to Katrina but Katrina was way worse than this and they have been dealing with fires every year....is not a new thing for California.

If they didn't respond properly we would hear complaints here same way.  How much of the response in each place is based on the competence of the State involved rather than reliance on Federal help?

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 11:55:01 AM »
Some of the smoke is reaching up here in San Francisco - gave us a nice evening glow during sunset.

The winds have died down since yesterday so the fires should get under control more quickly from now.

Wild fires in California are generally up in the dry woody hills - not urban areas like what was affected in New Orleans. If you look a google maps they have a link to the San Diego fires - it shows they are in the hills around downtown - so the point is it's a whole different type of disaster.

It is the largest evacuation for CA ever - and yes they evacuated unlike Nagin and his buses

1600 homes were burned so far.

Death toll is around 8 for now.

"A risk modeling firm said insured fire losses from the fires would likely cost between $900 million and $1.6 billion."

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 12:08:18 PM »
We got a boss governor - lol - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y838vto6los

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
Rat, I ent get chance to read the other repsonses yet so forgive me if I'm repeating.

I see no reason for you to get vex over CA. Get vex over Katrina, sure, I nearly bust a gut (that's GUT with a "G" eh?) over that. But watching your home go up in flames is a devastating thing and all the massages in the world won't make up for it. I've been there, my inlaws are there. You can almost hear the dryness in the air over there. Don't like it at all. So when a fire starts it's no surprise. One of this magnitude was fanned by mother nature. Feel empathy not anger, anger makes no sense.
All due respect, but keep your eye on the ball.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 12:29:48 PM »
Rat, I ent get chance to read the other repsonses yet so forgive me if I'm repeating.

I see no reason for you to get vex over CA. Get vex over Katrina, sure, I nearly bust a gut (that's GUT with a "G" eh?) over that. But watching your home go up in flames is a devastating thing and all the massages in the world won't make up for it. I've been there, my inlaws are there. You can almost hear the dryness in the air over there. Don't like it at all. So when a fire starts it's no surprise. One of this magnitude was fanned by mother nature. Feel empathy not anger, anger makes no sense.

which is why i dont understand, the other night i was watching news on nbc.. (or was it fox?).

The studio anchor cut across to a field reporter whose house actually was burning down while he was reporting right in front of it..

as soon as the field reporter finished his piece, the anchor in his flattest tone was like, "good work. sorry to hear about your house but i know you guys have fire insurance and cover so everything will get taken care of. in another news...."   ???

i couldnt help but laugh yes..

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 12:59:56 PM »

Not too sure where you going with this, but in terms of "keeping my eye on the ball," you don't know me like that.

Keep your respect, live a few weeks in my shoes, do the work I do, then you will know.  Ask somebody.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 01:01:58 PM »
And yes, I will remain vex, not because of the response times and all that bull.....but the message this has sent to black america, especially those from the south who suffered a few years ago.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:04:02 PM by Dr. Rat »
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »
When the Hills Are Burning

By Amy Wilentz
Thursday, October 25, 2007; A25
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/24/AR2007102402346_pf.html

I live in a fire bowl. As I write, the gigantopolis of Los Angeles is circled by fire: out in Malibu, up in Simi Valley, and down at Irvine and Arrowhead. For Angelenos in fire season, even if you are not personally affected, there is a feeling that there's no way out.

First there is fear, as you chart the fire's path in your mind, its next possible, unpredictable step. Then comes the realization that your own habitual geography is impermanent. A forest you knew, a canyon, a friend's house, some L.A. landmark -- any of these could be gone tomorrow. As with earthquakes, the place where you live could turn within minutes into something other, something unrecognizable, something dead.

Two days ago I drove down to Irvine, where I teach two days a week. Before leaving, I'd checked Sigalert to see how the roads were doing. On the Web site, a fire update in red type said: "PCH is closed from Topanga Canyon to Kanan Road. Malibu Canyon Road, Kanan Road and Topanga Canyon, Carbon Canyon, Tuna Canyon are all closed. Hwy 126 East closed . . ."

But my freeway wasn't listed.

So I headed south in the dark toward some of the biggest fires. I passed an Army convoy going to help out. That got my sleepy attention. To the east, the sun was coming up behind the mountains, but it seemed too soon for sunrise. Then I realized that what I'd thought was the sun was the fire, making a silhouette of the hills. Smoke was pouring into the sky like a cloud bank in a dazzling sunrise. Around me the pre-rush-hour traffic was moving nicely, past signs for new Hondas, past the dark developments to the west, still asleep. Yet a few miles away from normal life, just over the hills, was a holocaust.

That's fire season. It reminds you that everything in the L.A. area is discrete, a pocket of a town here, a development there, a canyon here, a strip of houses along the beach there. Something bad can be happening in one place while someone else is having dinner at Mozza or Lou, and firefighters can be evacuating your best friend while you're out buying milk at Ralph's. But it also reminds you that in a disaster, all those discrete pockets can sometimes be swept together. Fire can burn from Burbank over the canyons and threaten the Hollywood sign. The fire near my freeway could break over the crest and pour down, engulfing the road, the auto outlets, the dark developments.

Usually, fire doesn't reach all classes, the way an earthquake will. It tends to gravitate toward the better-off, because they are the ones closest to what is green, to what burns naturally. Fires start where there is ready brush; they burn down to the walls behind upscale developments, and then they move over those walls. They start in the canyons and burn lush, wooded real estate. They start above Malibu and move down to the homes of movie stars. In aerial photos, you can see -- next to the clumps of ash that once were houses -- the swimming pools, the hot tubs. This is not Katrina.

Still, the whole metropolitan environment is affected. Dust and ash cling to cars tens of miles from the fires. Soot snows down onto the highways. Everywhere, upper respiratory tracts are shot.

Worst, thousands can fall victim to one person's stupidity or malice. We sit around in L.A. estimating how many teenagers there are and, among them, how many love a good fire and, among them, how many would be tempted by the hot, windy Santa Ana season. It's not hard to understand why more than 25 percent of these fires can be attributed to what is kindly called "human involvement." Imagine lighting a match and then, for a week or two, seeing your creation featured 24 hours a day on television, growing more and more insanely beautiful and destructive.

Once you've lived through a half-dozen fire seasons, you begin to notice a certain normalization. Each morning, fire coverage may take six to eight pages in the Los Angeles Times (there are no photographs more dramatic than a black house at night with orange flames dancing in every window), but meanwhile in L.A. and San Diego and Irvine, there's a kind of battle weariness. Oh, yeah, take the 405 -- it's untouched. Get your car washed, keep your windows closed. Outside, wear a bandanna to cover your mouth and nose. No hiking in the Hollywood canyons, which have been closed because officials fear a sudden blaze.

And so forth. We check the skies over our homes for the gray smudges that signal the fires' continuation. We walk two blocks for a better view of the flames. We take pictures. We feel bad for the houses that couldn't be saved, the coyotes and deer and lizards swept from their habitats, all the choking firefighters, the people wandering around their burned neighborhoods, collecting precious remaining possessions. We suffer from a mild form of survivor guilt.

Then we wait: for the winds to die down, for the temperature to drop, for the fires to be contained. And for what passes for normal to begin again.

Amy Wilentz is the author, most recently, of "I Feel Earthquakes More Often Than They Happen: Coming to California in the Age of Schwarzenegger."
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 01:12:40 PM »
Not too sure where you going with this, but in terms of "keeping my eye on the ball," you don't know me like that.

Keep your respect, live a few weeks in my shoes, do the work I do, then you will know.  Ask somebody.

Look where you gorn.
I don't know you at all, hence the preface "with all due respect". And you still telling me to keep respect.
I don't know your lot in life, nor you, mine. I am responding to a post and stance you made, nothing more.

To clarify. I am saying getting angry over this is pointless, in my opinion. Getting mad at Katrina, yes, I'm right there with you.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »
Guest Perspective: California Wildfires Prove that Disaster Equality in America Still a Long, Long Way Off
Date: Thursday, October 25, 2007
By: Erin Aubry Kaplan

Americans of all political stripes are prone to thinking of their country as the land of achievement equality, a place where people of color can earn PhD’s and buy summer homes as readily as whites, at least in theory. But the real measure of America lies not in the equality of achievement, but in the equality of disaster -- according people of all color the same degree of respect and humanity not when they’re at their best, but when they’re in crisis or at their most vulnerable. The catastrophic wildfires in Southern California this week have certainly provoked that concern and humanity, and then some; it has also proved beyond any doubt that disaster equality in America is still a long, long way off. Watching the sympathetic coverage of the fires from my front-row seat in L.A., of course I think of Hurricane Katrina. The deluge in New Orleans and the gulf coast happened two years ago and quickly established itself as the mother of all modern disasters: Thousands dead or missing, half a city turned into a ghost town overnight, property damage almost too high to calculate. But though the event was covered diligently enough — TV news loves nothing better than a disaster unfolding in real time — the great majority of people victimized by the event were not. The masses of black poor and working-class trying to find shelter and aid were regarded by the media not with sympathy, but with puzzlement, indifference, and in some cases, hostility. In the midst of one of the worst crises in American history, blacks were immediately cast in familiar roles as criminals and slackers until they proved themselves otherwise. Little attention was paid to the fact that most of the displaced were New Orleans natives who were being suddenly and violently torn from the only home they had ever known. Katrina quickly shaped up not as a story of human tragedy, but a narrow one of public safety — how people were faring was less important than how Wal Mart was protecting its stock from looters.

Contrast this with the story of the wildfires that is still being told. Of course Southern California is a different landscape and demographic than New Orleans: The fire victims are notably white and affluent, the homes being destroyed sit on exclusive beachfront and mountain locales. California is the light-filled projection of an enduring American dream of the good life—the last, best place for "achievement equality" -- while Louisiana (and the entire old South) is the ancient repository of the American nightmare of race and inequality of all kinds. Still, the differences in disaster narratives are startling. Fire victims in Malibu, San Diego, Santa Clarita Valley and Orange County are clearly victims (a word we are loathe to apply to blacks in any place or circumstances). Through no fault of their own, they have lost houses that they have worked hard to acquire -- the more expensive the house, the more sympathy they deserve. People are shown over and over leaving these ill-fated homes clutching valuables or clinging to beloved pets; the emphasis is on personal loss and separation. In contrast, the black New Orleanians were portrayed as having almost nothing to lose besides the clothes on their backs. True, many were renters, not homeowners, but that’s a technicality; being New Orleans natives with families going back generations more than qualified them for the kind of sympathy we’re pouring on California like flame retardant.

Then there’s the issue of whether people should be living in these perilous locations in the first place. In New Orleans, the subtext of many post-Katrina discussions was that the below sea-level parts of the city was a major flood waiting to happen, and the chiefly black residents were somehow at fault for being in the way. That’s actually a viable idea in Southern California, where houses are routinely swept away by seasonal fire and mudslides on land clearly not meant for building houses or anything at all. But the land is desirable, the owners willing to pay for their custom piece of the American dream, so all culpability is forgiven. Or forgotten.

The last, but hardly least, difference of note between then and now is the government response. Unlike former Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco, California governor-cum-celebrity Arnold Schwarzenegger took charge from day one, assuring the state that any and all resources would be brought to bear on emergency management. Washington couldn’t respond quickly enough; Bush made a disaster declaration, and FEMA was on the scene in (relatively) record time. Of course this was an ideal moment for the feds to prove they weren’t really as clueless and uncaring as they appeared in ’05 -- a perfect political opportunity for Republicans to do some much-needed image rebuilding. I was encouraged to see the media express healthy skepticism -- one news anchor asked FEMA chief David Paulison if he really expected people to trust his agency to do the right thing this time.

We have learned a little from experience. But not enough. The depth and efficiency of California’s disaster cleanup only underscores the pain of Hurricane Katrina business that is tragically unfinished -- or that was never addressed at all.                                                   

---

Erin Aubry Kaplan is a contributing editor to Opinion at the Los Angeles Times.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 01:44:04 PM by E-man »
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 01:18:26 PM »
California fire victims find refuge

In contrast to the chaos of Katrina, Californians find relief in shelters well stocked with food, water and special comforts

Sheldon Alberts
CanWest News Service

Thursday, October 25, 2007
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=d829a8e0-6dc2-48df-af93-53b5bfdafc38&p=2

Mark Heinz still has no idea whether his house has been lost to the flames.

He's spent three nights sleeping on a cot in a giant football stadium, surrounded by 10,000 other displaced San Diego residents. To make matters worse, Heinz woke up Wednesday morning with a stiff back.

So what's a southern California fire evacuee do to ease the stress? Heinz opted for a massage and acupuncture.

"What a treat -- this is fantastic," Heinz said as he sat, shirtless, under a tent at Qualcomm Stadium, with an acupuncturist gently rubbing his shoulders.

Call it mass evacuation, southern California style.

Two years after Americans watched tens of thousands of hurricane Katrina evacuees suffer in squalid, violent conditions at the Superdome in New Orleans, they are witnessing a far more successful response to the fire emergency along the California coast.

Facing the worst wildfires in the state's history, up to a million residents from Los Angeles to San Diego have been moved to dozens of shelters that are mostly well-stocked with food, water and bedding.

Nowhere is the contrast between California's response and the deprivation in New Orleans more evident than in the concourses of Qualcomm Stadium, the 50,000-seat home of the National Football League's San Diego Chargers.

Instead of chaos, there was relative calm as evacuees arrived to discover a carnival-like atmosphere that included live music performances, a makeshift pre-school and "Kids Zone," ample stacks of diapers and baby wipes, and food stations offering everything from bagged lunches to chocolate chip cookies and potato chips.

In keeping with southern California's reputation for new-age living, volunteers had also set up a massage and acupuncture centre, a tent for yoga and meditation and even a station where evacuees could receive reflexology treatments.

"It definitely gives a lot of relief from stress. People might have pains and aches from sleeping on the cots," said Mohammed Javaherian, an acupuncture instructor from the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, which was offering its services free of charge. "It's just something we can do to help the people here."

As evacuees milled about, they were entertained by 'Bandit the Biker Dog,' a bulldog who rode a remote-controlled motorcycle around the stadium concourse. A long line of children awaited the opportunity to have their faces painted by a cheerful clown.

"It's great here, with the exception of wanting to be home, wanting to be in our comfort zone, said 32-year-old Kenya Neely, who travelled to Qualcomm Stadium with her three children from fires in east San Diego County.

"It does get cold at night, but we have plenty of blankets and heat lamps. They have showers set up in the parking lot. We have everything you need here."

Several evacuees said they decided to seek shelter at the stadium with some trepidation, remembering the inhumane conditions at the Superdome and the New Orleans Convention Centres following hurricane Katrina.

More than 45,000 New Orleans residents crowded into the two emergency shelters expecting basic relief.

Instead they were trapped without power, food and water for a week after the storm, living amid the stench of human waste and bodies until federal assistance arrived.

California officials say they learned from the New Orleans' lack of preparation, even as they acknowledged the situations are different in many ways.

Despite the scope of the evacuation in southern California, residents had easy access to evacuation centres because most major roadways have remained open.

More importantly, they have not had to tackle the enormous logistical challenge that emergency personnel in New Orleans faced because of inescapable floodwaters.

"There was so much poverty in New Orleans. They didn't have the transportation means anywhere. They were cut off by water. We have been able to get around the freeways," said Heinz, 44, as acupuncturist Michele Ross carefully inserted a therapeutic needle into his neck.

"But I also think the population here is more educated and affluent and reacts in a different way. It's far better organized."

Indeed. Government authorities, private corporations and volunteer agencies responded immediately as it became clear hundreds of thousands of southern Californians would be displaced.

At Qualcomm, the much-maligned Federal Emergency Management Agency had set up a tent to handle applications for financial assistance. Two major U.S. wireless companies were providing free cellphone and Internet access for evacuees. A dozen Wal-Mart tractor trailers sat in the parking lot, full of supplies.

With all area schools closed, more than 200 teachers established a makeshift daycare centre where parents could drop off their children while they tended to insurance claims or checked on their homes.

"We are all credentialed, fingerprinted, background checked. The parents know this is a safe place," said Emily Longerbone, a high school teacher and volunteer.

"San Diego has really reacted well, really come together as a community. Not that New Orleans didn't. I think it was just more chaotic. I think the country learned a lesson. Unfortunately, Katrina had to be the lesson."

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 01:19:33 PM »

Ah man done call me duncee on this forum already, so I eh afraid to ask. But doh take my questions to be hostile. I just want to know. How exactly will living a few weeks in your shoes make me understand why you vexed?

And yes, I will remain vex, not because of the response times and all that bull.....but the message this has sent to black america, especially those from the south who suffered a few years ago.

What message? We already know they f*** up on Katrina. But we won't know how or if things have changed until the next natural disaster that affects a poor urban population.

When that disaster comes, will we see volunteers from the black community offer services to ease the stress? or is that only a white people thing? 

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 04:03:04 PM »
Bitter,,,,Das Efx go charge yuh copyright money for dat sig, watch yuhself
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »
So I wake up this morning, de usual, look to my left to see who it is sleeping in the bed, this time it was a young ting from de islands.  Red, nice legs, everything nice and fat...

After ah hit she 2-3 cuff, ah put on the TV to catch the 6:00 am news with that cat - Tom Sawyer mother (Dianne).

I've never been so angry in years (other than the time this Indian gal tell meh she making baby for De Rat).  Anyways, the report out of San Diego and parts of CA they declared disaster areas were painful to look at and listen to.

They reported many of these displaced people having access to counseling, body massages, kosher meals, having their pets with them in shelters, etc. 

Total luxury……...

Wha going on here?  Wha make these white devils so special?  What is the difference between these humans and those from the Katrina disaster?

Is it a skin colour issue or simply a matter of $$$$$$$. The rich have always enjoyed the fat of the land, regardless of the country or skin colour. Rich people of all colour are spoilt and continue to get all the benefits of life. They invented the rules and the laws that protect them. Just look at Mannings house and think if disaster happens in T&T, who you think will get treated first for all the benefits. Come now Dr Rat, race is far less an issue world wide versus wealth. The wealthy created the race issue to take peoples minds of their control of the wealth.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
Bitter,,,,Das Efx go charge yuh copyright money for dat sig, watch yuhself

Dat eh nutten, if they come by me I go I smiggedy-smack them because my knee bone`s connected to my hardy-har-har-har!

1]; } ?>