March 28, 2024, 12:54:36 PM

Author Topic: Kelvin Jack on Dundee and Trini's World Cup chances  (Read 1572 times)

Offline davidy233

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Kelvin Jack on Dundee and Trini's World Cup chances
« on: August 21, 2005, 03:38:34 AM »
It's up to us - says Kelvin
Dundee FC

Keeper Kelvin Jack believes that regaining the Club's Premier league place is entirely in Dundee's own hands "I think winning promotion is going to be as difficult as we make it out to be" he told us "If we come into every game with the right mentality, the right professionalism, then I think we should have positive results every game.

"But obviously you'll have teams wanting to beat us badly because we are the premier team in the league, so we have to be switched on to make sure that we win every single game this season from now on.

"The boys did well against Queen of the South, we started a bit slow but gradually came into the game, I thought we passed it about well in the second half which was good. Hopefully we'll go from strength to strength as the season progresses.

"There have been spells when we've let ourselves get under pressure but it's something we are trying to rectify, the gaffer talks about it all the time, he's been very good with the boys this season and he points out that it's something we really have to work on, when we are on top we need to start passing it better, keep possession and kill the game off. We need to play more with our heads than our hearts."

The giant Trinidadian doesn't intend relinquishing his first team spot when Derek Soutar is fit saying "I definitely intend staying in the team without a doubt. That's my aim, it has to be any footballers aim, to stay in the team and keep playing.

It was Friday before Kelvin got back to Dundee after Trinidad and Tobago's 1-0 World Cup defeat in East Hartford, Connecticut "I have to be honest I was absolutely knackered after the travelling" Kelvin told us "I didn't have a good sleep at all, but that was expected with the time difference, it's hard to handle but you get a lift from your fans once the game starts and you just go out and do your job.

"I think I did OK out in the States, unfortunately we couldn't get a result, that's part of the game sometimes. We still have a very good chance to qualify, we have four games left, two at home and two away, they are all against teams that I think we should be able to beat so I think we have a decent chance of qualifying.

"It was nice to get good reviews of my performance from the media in the States but you have to take it as it comes because obviously at some point of the season you'll have a bad patch. You try to work hard in practise every day, stay on top of your game and hopefully that will be rewarded with consistent performances.

"When you are done with your game you just start thinking about your club again, making sure you come back in good condition and try to focus on the next game. If you ask any international player they'll tell you that you are really tired after playing for your country, especially in a World Cup tie. It's very stressful sometimes and often in a hostile environment, but you are a professional footballer and are paid to play football so you just try to shut that out and start thinking about Saturday straight away after the international match and once you get back just do the best that you can."

I spoke to Kelvin after Dundee had beaten Queen of the South

Incidentally Jason Scotland was at Dens Park to watch Kelvin in action
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 06:25:03 AM by Tallman »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Kelvin Jack on Dundee and Trini's World Cup chances
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 01:00:16 PM »
Thanks for the news. When he got into the game Jack was excellent vs USA.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>