April 25, 2024, 05:46:53 AM

Author Topic: What is the BESS Midfield Combination Right now for T&T?  (Read 4035 times)

TrinInfinite

What is the BESS Midfield Combination Right now for T&T?
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »
I've been thinking about our best combo right now for the national team and it seems we have a lack on the left wing but an abundance of right wingers,  attacking mids and holding mids...

So I put the question out there, whats our best combination right now to get the results if we were to play a friendly within the next week?

IMHO it would be:

Yorke

Edwards                       Spann                    Samuel

Hardest

Then the players that remain are: Bleeder, Oliver, Johnson, Leon, Whitley, David, Pacheco, N.Daniel and Birchall....

It leaves you to wonder, what would be the best combo bc these other players are also capable... If you were to break it down further you would have to define specific roles in the midfield.

Holding Mid: Yorke by far is the leader in the pack, age or no age, he is playing in the EPL and is playing his part well. Then you are left with Clyde Leon, a local who is solid in the back and has held his own from all eye witness accounts. Next in line would be Bleeder, captain and mentor of Latas and Yorke, also playing abroad and has played an effective role in the holding mid for a good while now. Then theres Birchall, tireless worker, ball winner and has an excellent strike from the box and beyond. The much debated Marvin Oliver, not as creative as a Latas or Hardest but an excellent midfielder with great vision and passing ability. Stephan David was listed as a player to leave Trinidad which is claimed to hold the key to our defensive mid and provide us with this missing link which was left by Yorke, his skills however need to be tested further with int'l competition. Lastly is Whitley, a new club and a new attitude, what I have seen of him in the past has impressed me, will he regain this form and make the world cup team once more, everyone knows he has the skills but will he show up to play...

Attacking Mid(right winger/left winger/central mid): The first name that comes to mind is Edwards, hands down, it can be said he is a sure starter for the right wing role in the national set-up. Looking towards to centre mid position, Hardest fits this position very well in that he is most creative of the names mentioned, keeping in mind he can also serve as a attacking mid which sits above the mid itself, right below the strikers. The other candidate that would definatlely need to be spoken about is Spann, Spann can either play attacking mid,right wing or holding mid, our utility man of sorts. Not to mention Josh Johnson who is also a right winger and a very good central mid, with speed and dribbling skills. Then there is the youth Pacheco who has been spoken of on many occasions but is less likely to take this position over the other players. The theres N.Daniel, a left back that can fill the role of left winger, whether he is ready and able to take the reins on the left and put Samuel on the bench, is left to seen.
Last but not least theres Samuel, played well in the lead up to the world cup, played an excellent left winger, can cross and can dribble, not to mention hold possession, will he retain this role or lose it to N.Daniel..

The choice is tough, if I was the coach I would take all of them to the qualifiers and WC, God willing when we qualify. I think each has something to offer but what combo is the best for us and which one produces the results we need.. You tell me?

One thing I will say for sure is we need one holding mid, one creative, a utility, a left and a right winger IMHO...

God is de BOSS...

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What is the BESS Midfield Combination Right now for T&T?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »
I would probably replace Spann with Birchall.  Bleeder is my player, but I cant put him in the middle with Yorke.  If Yorke is absent then definitely bleedah.  However, as it stands right now, TI middle is very solid but would be more so with the presence of Birchall instead of Spann.  They both have some rough touches but Birchall's work rate is exceptional and his presence is always felt.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 02:31:25 PM »
edwards                                   samuel
                birchall   
                            theobald

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »
Edwards (Right)
Birchall and Trent Noel (Ball Winners)
Hardes (Playmaker)
Daryll Roberts (Left)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
All that matters is that the opposing team does not run thru our middle without impunity.We need a cohesive middle to play both ends of the field.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 05:16:14 PM »
So far Carlos Edwards and Chris Birchall right midfield and center mid respectively....Spann is a player I like but he seems to get lost in games sometimes and makes numerous poor passes and loses his sense of positioning as  well in the middle.....however when he is good he's very good I guess with maturity will come more consistency....what came to mind recently was that lil thing with wrexham where he finally got on the field scored then conceded the freekick where the opposing team scored the winning goal.....concentration he lacks it sometimes but I like him but maybe not to start on my team....as yet....Collin Samuel big , strong , skilful , speed  but lazy as hell bench for that till he show something more..............Bleeder this and bleeder that...whitley in front he anyday....the only reason I not calling yorke and latas is because i know them boy finish with international ball so I'd say carlos on the right Brichall and Whitley in the center and maybe kerry baptiste on the left based on what I've seen so far but none of them youths impressing me yet .
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 05:38:05 PM by Ngozi »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »
Edwards (Right)
Hardes (Playmaker)
Daryll Roberts (Left)

I like dis combo, but I feel Samuel for Roberts for sheer power on the ball. The key to our midfield is retaining possession. Roberts is has been good so far, but Samuel has that added experience and is still relatively young. Trent Noel ahead of Birchall right now for me as he has a shot and a direct free kick that is as good as anyone else on the team (unless we shooting from half line and hadda call in Sylvio).
If only Hardess was stable this year. :frustrated:
Success will never take you by surprise.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:35:55 AM »
Edwards (Right)
Hardes (Playmaker)
Daryll Roberts (Left)

I like dis combo, but I feel Samuel for Roberts for sheer power on the ball. The key to our midfield is retaining possession. Roberts is has been good so far, but Samuel has that added experience and is still relatively young. Trent Noel ahead of Birchall right now for me as he has a shot and a direct free kick that is as good as anyone else on the team (unless we shooting from half line and hadda call in Sylvio).

dont be surprised clyde leon take up the holding mid, not to mention a fellah like nigel daniel play left winger, hes a natural left footer, colin isnt, but can play with both feet, unless they disregard avery john at left back and ease nigel into the roll... right now we are struggling to find a natural left winger, colin seems to fit the bill but can get lazy, that is what he needs to correct... hardest is gettin in the best shape of his life right now..

God is de BOSS....

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 07:54:08 AM »
Edwards (Right)
Hardes (Playmaker)
Daryll Roberts (Left)

dont be surprised clyde leon take up the holding mid, not to mention a fellah like nigel daniel play left winger, hes a natural left footer, colin isnt, but can play with both feet, unless they disregard avery john at left back and ease nigel into the roll... right now we are struggling to find a natural left winger, colin seems to fit the bill but can get lazy, that is what he needs to correct... hardest is gettin in the best shape of his life right now..

God is de BOSS....
Last time I checked, he was a natural right footer ??? ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
WHAT GAMES DO WE HAVE LINED UP, ALL THESE COMBINATIONS AGAINST WHO?

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 11:50:21 AM »
T&T BEST MIDFIELD.......

SAMUEL          THEOBALD             SPANN        CARLOS

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »
u ALL are crazy

Samuel ??
he out of form, no speed, cant take on defenders

Toussaint  Tinto
   Baptiste                  Edwards
                 Yorke

Future reference, make sure and follow up on the players form and how well they are performing before u look to put there name..
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:27:43 PM by Warrior till death »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 12:29:26 PM »
WTD why you have 3 right sided players in your midfield?

Fitzpatrick/Pacheco     Jemmott (only if he really as fit as TI say)    Edwards

Theobald         Birchall

I put fitzpatrick name in there for the left because he is the best left sided crosser of the ball we have and would give some good service to kenwyne and stern up front.. although not too sure what kinda form he in lately...

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 01:33:20 PM »

Holding Mid: Yorke by far is the leader in the pack, age or no age, he is playing in the EPL and is playing his part well. Then you are left with Clyde Leon, a local who is solid in the back and has held his own from all eye witness accounts. Next in line would be Bleeder, captain and mentor of Latas and Yorke, also playing abroad and has played an effective role in the holding mid for a good while now. Then theres Birchall, tireless worker, ball winner and has an excellent strike from the box and beyond. The much debated Marvin Oliver, not as creative as a Latas or Hardest but an excellent midfielder with great vision and passing ability. Stephan David was listed as a player to leave Trinidad which is claimed to hold the key to our defensive mid and provide us with this missing link which was left by Yorke, his skills however need to be tested further with int'l competition. Lastly is Whitley, a new club and a new attitude, what I have seen of him in the past has impressed me, will he regain this form and make the world cup team once more, everyone knows he has the skills but will he show up to play...

i thought Yorke retire?
ah know yuh make a mistake bout the mentor comment right?  :-\

anyway I would go with a narrow left midfielder with Birchall, with Theobald the sitting midfielder and Carlos as the wide right midfielder. Roberts and a choice between Samuel, Tinto, Baptiste or Noel or whoever is de flavor of the day could play in the hole behind the main striker which should be either Stern, Scotland or Glenn.

This will work once we have a good attacking left back also since the opposing defence won't always know whether to close off the right footed shot from Birchall or the left back storming up the wing.

i honestly have not really been impressed with Silvio Spann..hopefully the time he spend in England will sort out his injuries and confidence.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 01:37:05 PM »

i thought Yorke retire?

anyway I would go with a narrow left midfielder with Birchall, with Theobald the sitting midfielder and Carlos as the wide right midfielder. Roberts and a choice between Samuel, Tinto, Baptiste or Noel or whoever is de flavor of the day could play in the hole behind the main striker which should be either Stern, Scotland or Glenn.

This will work once we have a good attacking left back also since the opposing defence won't always know whether to close off the right footed shot from Birchall or the left back storming up the wing.

i honestly have not really been impressed with Silvio Spann..hopefully the time he spend in England will sort out his injuries and confidence.
No room on yuh team for KJ?

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 01:45:15 PM »

i thought Yorke retire?

No room on yuh team for KJ?
yeah ah forget to add him to meh striker list  :-[
Feliz

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 01:48:14 PM »

Oliver (I can't pick Hardest- what club does he even play for ?)                  

Samuel                              Edwards
           Birchall         Spann

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 02:24:22 PM »
Right Now...

Yorke

Edwards                                       Roberts/Samuel     

Birchall/Spann
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 03:00:05 PM »
how man pickin men who hurt, or hardly playing if at all, and calling it right now ? eg. Carlos, d man ent play ah game in mths, might be risking injury, an he still better than anybody, or we just doh know nobody else.
Hardest ? oooohho we hear he playin big ball? Well if TI say is so ! Fifa 07 or Andre League ?
Roberts playin of the bench, buh we like him, ent ? Yorke ? last reports, injured. Samuel ? probably gettin ah jump on Christmas dinner...jus teasin, Colin ! Birchall ? still hopin to break in, 1st team ball, Championship div...an makin bench SPL...oh yes Spann...sub in score ah goal, sub out, or was it card..not sure...Theobald, he get ah full game yet ? ah wasn't following..

who ah forget that we not seeing NOW

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 03:14:54 PM »
how man pickin men who hurt, or hardly playing if at all, and calling it right now ? eg. Carlos, d man ent play ah game in mths, might be risking injury, an he still better than anybody, or we just doh know nobody else.
Hardest ? oooohho we hear he playin big ball? Well if TI say is so ! Fifa 07 or Andre League ?
Roberts playin of the bench, buh we like him, ent ? Yorke ? last reports, injured. Samuel ? probably gettin ah jump on Christmas dinner...jus teasin, Colin ! Birchall ? still hopin to break in, 1st team ball, Championship div...an makin bench SPL...oh yes Spann...sub in score ah goal, sub out, or was it card..not sure...Theobald, he get ah full game yet ? ah wasn't following..

Men picking team based on pleasant memories.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 03:27:28 PM »

Men picking team based on pleasant memories.
plus we go have another thread like this next month again?..steups

but is true the man ask for a midfield on current form..and we pickign man who retire and thing too  ;D
Feliz

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 05:51:04 PM »
Sad to say but Only Edwards look descent. We have to do more in developing midfielders

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 05:57:02 PM »
u ALL are crazy

Samuel ??

Toussaint  Tinto
   Baptiste                  Edwards
                 Yorke

Future reference, make sure and follow up on the players form and how well they are performing before u look to put there name..

Samuel's last few games in the MLS he look quite deadly and he score a very nice goal and hit some dread bullet as well, one from a direct free kick. All this might mean beans in the grand scheme of things, but it's more than a lot of other foreign based midfielders are doing right now.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »

relax yuhself nah bredds. men picking their fantasy midfield assuming everyone fit and get their house in order . seeing as we don't have any games in the immediate future, people taking a few liberties. we being idealistic. sure we could all take the title literally, but that is obviously not the point based on the follow up dialogue of the person who actually started the thread. there is a lil leeway to dream. like somebody vex yuh hoss. yuh acting like we actually responsible for picking de side and shittin up T&T chances of qualifying for the WC. By the way..is T&T..yuh well know that man riding the pine in the SPL and Dutch Eridivsie (although Birchie getting a regular run these days) could very well get the nod ahead of a man play the full 90 in hte PFL. Samuel in form of late..good form and Carlos getting select on the right as long as he have one good leg  :devil: Anyway..never thought I'd be the one telling people not to take a thread so literally. in any case..after all dat education yuh hit us, yuh should a wrap it up with yuh selection

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 07:05:06 PM »
oh gorm man...ah tryin to quit an ting..yuh exposin meh guy. :-[..now dat yuh break it dong for meh...
ah goin with ah Dilly, Chinnas  Franco an  Latas   8)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 07:55:04 PM »
Sad to say but Only Edwards look descent. We have to do more in developing midfielders
ah not vex or up-tight...ah juss disagree with ppl picks.. :beermug:
How could Edwards look descent, when we have not seen him at his best (not for his lack of trying) since last year ?
u ALL are crazy

Samuel ??
......before u look to put there name..

Samuel's last few games in the MLS he look quite deadly and he score a very nice goal and hit some dread bullet as well, one from a direct free kick. All this might mean beans in the grand scheme of things, but it's more than a lot of other foreign based midfielders are doing right now.
I agree..with WTD...Samuel work rate was much to be desired..only in my opinion...for a T&T National it must be higher..I could see the talent, but Potential Talent alone is not enough, not even to make TO FC....sure he scored a nice goal...sure he played good for 5 mins...yet how much ball he lost, how many did he win, how many setups he gave ?

I not against the fantasy picks involved in the thread, ( ah thought that was obvious, cause ah bothered to add something), ah juss disagreed that it was going ah practical route...ah have no idea how long Carlos will take to ketch he self again...
further, we have some more recently shown at Gold Cup, and an exhb. against El Salavador, and I just disagree on picking some of our best National players - no argument there - who are presently injured, or outta form..than at least 1 or 2 of those locals, who are making an effort, and actually gave a good showing, more recently than any of our Stars - again through no fault of theirs- that guys can't even consider them..
I recently saw (for me that was now)the El salvador game, thanks to Tallman, and I was impressed..damn ting is, ah only see numbers, and didn't know the fellas names...so ah cyah call dem...buh on the same note...ah haven't seen Birchall, Roberts, Theobald, Carlos and "him"...so in meh ignorance, ah had to disagree..even if some guys think they could just run out and be we starting mids now..
if the thread is really about the best we can fantasize bout, or the best we may have down the road, as opposed to the best we can put forward right now, or even in ah months time...then sorry Filho, I obviously misread the point of the post... :-[ :-X

buh oh gorm, Hardest ? ah know is TI an all, buh lemme put forward meh comment too nah

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 11:29:38 PM »
oh gorm man...ah tryin to quit an ting..yuh exposin meh guy. :-[..now dat yuh break it dong for meh...
ah goin with ah Dilly, Chinnas  Franco an  Latas   8)

heheh..good one  :beermug:

doh get me wrong. yuh didn't misread the post at all. yuh point was valid and I thought the same thing, but sometimes a thread takes on a lil different meaning. so whereas I agree with yuh that it outlandish to be picking men who retired,  i could understand why injured men like carlos getting pick, or even why men who getting a corbeaux sweat in a foreign league might still be ahead of some locals. daiz all. i didn't mean for it to sound like men should be picking a T&T fantasy league side

:beermug:

1]; } ?>