April 27, 2024, 01:52:03 PM

Author Topic: Stern willing to sacrifice place  (Read 1772 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern willing to sacrifice place
« on: August 21, 2005, 08:38:06 PM »
Source: Trinidad Guardian

No one was more disappointed than Stern John with last Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier loss to the United States.
The Coventry City striker is the leading goalscorer for T&T in international matches.
The Warriors are now faced with a must win situation when they host Guatemala at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on September 3.
John is willing to play whatever role he is assigned to see the team progress, even if it means coming off the bench.
“Everyone was disappointed with the way we started and the way we lost,” John said.
“We gave ourselves a mountain to climb with the first goal and we panicked after that. You could see that by the way we just kept giving the ball away.
“We conceded a stupid goal and we paid the price and hopefully we can learn from this and pick ourselves again. We have done it before, but now is when it matters the most.
“The next few weeks will be the most critical of our careers,” John concluded.
Commenting on his substitution in the second half, replaced by Kenwyne Jones, John didn’t take it in bad stride.
“I ran about the pitch but it wasn’t enough. The service wasn’t coming our way and it showed that when Dwight dropped back into the middle our game changed a bit.
“But now it’s not about Stern John anymore. It’s about what’s best for the team and the country getting to the World Cup.
“I was disappointed about the performance when I went off. I think any manager will be disappointed with any player who comes off the pitch because he knows he can do better.
“All we needed was just one chance. We have strikers who can score goals in myself, Kenwyne and Dwight, but the service wasn’t there.
“We just need to work on that... get more balls into the box.
“We missed Carlos with the crosses. At least I think Dwight needs to play in the middle because he’s more into the game playing behind the strikers.
“All in all, I think we have what it takes to come back stronger than before. The game itself showed Kelvin (Jack) was brilliant and Silvio Spann had a good game in the right back position.
“Brent (Sancho) was also really good for us when he came on. But we need more than four or five players to do better, including myself, if we are to get results.”
John was not in the Coventry team which defeated Queen’s Park Rangers 3-0 on Saturday.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stern willing to sacrifice place
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 08:46:27 PM »
Stern you forgot Hott Scott Sealy. he seems to be scoring goals too and the MLS cant be that that far from the second division. Good thing Beenie going with the basics. You have to be currently doing whatever it is you do, for your club. No production, no starting 11 and if that dont work remember cornell Glennscore fuh we in Gold cup but get bench for WCQ.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 11:19:36 PM »
i still admire stern his heart is in the right place or else he wouldnt of said this the changes can only be for the better

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:13:38 AM »
He may be out of form but Stern has always been a stand up guy off the pitch.

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 07:29:24 AM »
I, Uprising will like to go on record as saying that, once sincere, I respect Stern for at least hinting that he is out of form and that it may be time to go in another direction (at least to start games) up top...

That is big man ting...so much respect Stern for putting the team first .. keep working hard in practice and help to inspire / develop the men coming up .. Jones , Sealey , Scotland , Glen, Whitley, Spann.. allyuh men have to step up and carry de torch all the way to Germany ...

Ah feel Guatemala in trouble ..we must contain / frustrate Ruiz up top..
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 07:48:39 AM »
Stern is showing a bit of selfawareness of his lack form and the teams lack of service to the forwards, both of which are true.  He also seems to be willing to do what is best for the team, always a good sign from any player, though it may be a bit of yelling "I quit" just as your boss is about to say "You're fired!"
Either way nobody has ever doubted his commitment to the team or his ability and potential none of which will get us to Germany.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 08:57:42 AM »
Stern is a true warrior.  It not easy for a pro to come out and say "bench meh".  But he sees that the next game is really and truly do or die, and he may not be as helpful to the team as a couple other men.

Keep yuh head up Stern.  And thanks for your honesty and love for yuh country over self.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 10:23:33 AM »
alyuh doh understand what going on..he went on socawarriors.net and realize that 100 people not wrong..he really playing shit..and so with that knowledge in hand he make them statements

1]; } ?>