March 28, 2024, 09:31:05 AM

Author Topic: Terry's wages are 'obscene'  (Read 4836 times)

Offline shotters365

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Terry's wages are 'obscene'
« on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:49 PM »
Government lays into England skipper: Terry's wages are 'obscene'

Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe has condemned the amount of money being paid to England captain John Terry and described his Chelsea salary as “obscene”.

The Sports Minister said that by taking a £135,000 weekly wage, the player was typical of the growing alienation between top-flight footballers and fans.

In his first significant policy speech since being appointed, Manchester United fan Sutcliffe said: “The man in the street can't recognise that sort of money. It's obscene. There is an increasing alienation between top players and fans.”

He also criticised the treatment of fans in the top flight compared to lower divisions, criticising United for raising ticket prices and effectively forcing fans to buy Carling Cup and Champions League tickets as part of a contract.

He contrasted the deal offered to fans of Bradford City, in his own constituency, where a season ticket costs around £120 and has drawn crowds of around 14,000 per home game.

But a spokesman for Mr Sutcliffe said there was no plan for Government intervention on Premier League wages and that Mr Sutcliffe was merely seeking to highlight the issues.

He also criticised UEFA and the European leagues for not doing enough to tackle racism, and recommended that they should punish such acts by deducting points from the offending clubs.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Terry's wages are 'obscene'
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 04:31:44 PM »
Interesting article, but really nothing new. One only has to look at what is happening in American professional sports. Many fans, who make between 30-50,000/yr can't really identify with the multi-million dollar salaries of their favourite players.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »
but WHO's fault is it really?

I believe it is the management of the clubs who pay these very high wages.
It is their desicion and their's alone that decides this outlay, so saying that the player has anything to do with it is Ludacris  ;D
if i was a plyer I would ask for the most I could get and too bad for the club's management if they actually pay that amount.
some leagues have salary caps......to be fair to smaller markets....maybe that is what is needed.......but having said that why are some clubs VERY wealthy and some clubs brokes?
that is because NOT everyone is GOOD with finances....... ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 06:32:14 PM »
but WHO's fault is it really?

I believe it is the management of the clubs who pay these very high wages.
It is their desicion and their's alone that decides this outlay, so saying that the player has anything to do with it is Ludacris  ;D
if i was a plyer I would ask for the most I could get and too bad for the club's management if they actually pay that amount.
some leagues have salary caps......to be fair to smaller markets....maybe that is what is needed.......but having said that why are some clubs VERY wealthy and some clubs brokes?
that is because NOT everyone is GOOD with finances....... ;)
Finances is but a very small piece of the puzzle.  Success on the field translates into financial success from gate receipts and from merchandizing...added to which you play more games including international club tournaments.  Over time that adds up to more money in the kitty to spend on talent.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:22:44 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that success on the field is directly reflected in the ability to pay high wages.

Certainly, in the EPL, qualification to the Champions League guarantees millions in revenue. However, look at Leeds in the 3rd tier of English football attracting 30,000 supporters, while clubs like Swansea only get 6 or 7000.

If Man Utd somehow fell into the Championship, they would still get crowds of 40,000.  Wigan in the EPL are struggling because they cannot afford the players they need because their attendances are so low (when they played Gillingham in the League 1 play offs at Wembley they only managed 20,000, whereas Gillingham took over 45,000. Wolves in the Championship on the other hand probably get 25,000 to their matches and have done for years, but they can't get out of the Championship.

Its a puzzle. But you have to say that this new breed of foreign Chairmen are assisting clubs to buy success. My fears are that when they all get bored and walk away from football, how on earth will clubs afford £135,000 per week salaries?

I've always believed players should be paid as much as they can get, but there should be a reaonable cap to that. I'd rather see JT earn £80,000 and see the other £55,000 filter down to the guys at Barnet and Hereford who work just as hard in much less plush surroundings. Yes I know talent should be rewarded, but surely £1 million a year plus any sponsorship deals should be enough for anyone?

Bakes, your right of course. If the clubs are going to pay those wages, why shouldn't the players ask for the money. I would just like to see more parity.

I spoke to a guy in the championship who started with Chelsea the same time as Frank Lampard. His wages were around £120,000 per year. He praised Lampard and applauded his talent. But he pointed out that Lampard was not 40 times better than him. Yes he should be paid more...perhaps even 10 times more, but 40 times more is extreme!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:49:35 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that success on the field is directly reflected in the ability to pay high wages.

Certainly, in the EPL, qualification to the Champions League guarantees millions in revenue. However, look at Leeds in the 3rd tier of English football attracting 30,000 supporters, while clubs like Swansea only get 6 or 7000.

If Man Utd somehow fell into the Championship, they would still get crowds of 40,000.  Wigan in the EPL are struggling because they cannot afford the players they need because their attendances are so low (when they played Gillingham in the League 1 play offs at Wembley they only managed 20,000, whereas Gillingham took over 45,000. Wolves in the Championship on the other hand probably get 25,000 to their matches and have done for years, but they can't get out of the Championship.

Nothing is automatic...but there is a direct correlation (obviously) between success on the field and healthy revenue from gate receipts if nothing else.  I'm not sure what your Leeds example is intended to prove, but I guess it shows that despite 30,000 plus supporters per game they still can't win.  As for your ManU example...yeah they'd still draw support, but again, how does that disprove that success on the field means more money?  If anything the Man U example may prove that despite poor play on the field clubs can still fill their stadia.  Your Wigan example proves my point....Wolverhampton again, not sure where that fits.

Seems like you're arguing that good fan support doesn't always translate into wins...but I never argued that.  What I did say was that winning makes for good fan support.  Good fan support (gate receipts/merchandizing) in turn means more money to spend on talent.

You can have the most talented team and still lose...just look at Tottenham this year...but at least you can afford to buy those players based on positive cash flow.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 03:37:55 AM »

Nothing is automatic...but there is a direct correlation (obviously) between success on the field and healthy revenue from gate receipts if nothing else.  I'm not sure what your Leeds example is intended to prove, but I guess it shows that despite 30,000 plus supporters per game they still can't win.  As for your ManU example...yeah they'd still draw support, but again, how does that disprove that success on the field means more money?  If anything the Man U example may prove that despite poor play on the field clubs can still fill their stadia.  Your Wigan example proves my point....Wolverhampton again, not sure where that fits.

Seems like you're arguing that good fan support doesn't always translate into wins...but I never argued that.  What I did say was that winning makes for good fan support.  Good fan support (gate receipts/merchandizing) in turn means more money to spend on talent.

You can have the most talented team and still lose...just look at Tottenham this year...but at least you can afford to buy those players based on positive cash flow.

I guess what I meant is that good fan support may generate money, but good management creates success (or lack of success). Also, the other factor, of course, is a chairman with bottomless pockets. But theres always an exception to the rule, as in the case of Wolves, where Jack Heywood sank over £60 million into the club and didn't get a justifiable return on his investment.

Think I was just trying to point out that there is no one element to success. A great fan base won't guarantee it, a great team won't guarantee it and a wealthy chairman won't guarantee it. Even putting all three together won't guarantee success!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 04:56:32 AM »

I'm not sure how much the clubs receive from gate receipts as a percentage of their overall income.
The TV deals that the FA has negotiated and the sponsors like emirates, O2 etc must contribute a large amount to the overall.
I guess a player like Terry will be judged on his worth to the team and by extension his sale ability to wider TV audiences, I'm sure there are market surveys that would bear that out e.g What was Barcelona before the owners took the gamble and paid for Rijkaard and the players he brought to the club?
Now Barcelona has a worldwide fan base but even if you don't support them you would probably look at their game live rather than say Bolton or yes even Newcastle. That popularity has more money in it than the gates.
So I don't think when the clubs pay what some might consider exorbitant salaries they are doing so stupidly, I think they pay and hedge on a bigger return by that players overall entertainment worth.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline shotters365

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 05:51:45 AM »
Minister's retreat in pay storm over Terry

Minister of Sport Gerry Sutcliffe was forced into an embarrassing climbdown yesterday after sparking a row with Chelsea and Manchester United.

Sutcliffe described Chelsea skipper John Terry's wages of £150,000 a week as obscene, as well as criticising United for increasing season ticket prices by 13 per cent - figures which were disputed by both clubs.

Speaking to the BBC's John Inverdale at the Sports Industry Summit in London, Sutcliffe said: "Good luck to John Terry, but I think it is obscene to be on £150,000 per week. People in the street cannot understand salaries like that.

"Chelsea are £250million in the red and they may be able to cope with that, but it's not in the real world and £250m is not sustainable.

"This year Manchester United increased season tickets by 13 per cent and said fans have to automatically buy European and Carling Cup games as well, and that costs an extra £200.

"That's taken the game away from the ordinary, grass-roots supporter."

Chelsea, angry that Sutcliffe should make such claims about Terry as well as commercially damaging estimates of their debt, complained directly to Sutcliffe's boss James Purnell, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.

They also say the numbers quoted by Sutcliffe were incorrect, with Chelsea losing £80m in the last financial year. Terry's salary is understood to be around £130,000.

Sutcliffe's department backtracked last night, saying the Minister accepted that the numbers he used may not have been 100 per cent correct but that he stands by the wider points he was making.

After just three months in the job, Sutcliffe is fast becoming as gaffe-prone as one of his predecessors, the late Tony Banks — a Chelsea supporter.

Manchester United chief executive David Gill claimed Sutcliffe was "speaking without knowing all the facts".

He said United's price increase had been 10.78 per cent and that Old Trafford prices of £25-£44 compared very favourably with London clubs and kept United very much in touch with their grass roots supporters.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 07:25:28 AM »
"He said United's price increase had been 10.78 per cent and that Old Trafford prices of £25-£44 compared very favourably with London clubs and kept United very much in touch with their grass roots supporters."

and you can buy a house in Manchester for £60,000 try doing that in London !

It is a rip off as they are a monopoly and behave like that. They will raises prices as much as the market will bear, what choice does have a fan have ? go and support Manchester City ?
Not very likely !

Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 07:35:50 AM »
Imagine he making over 3 million tt a month  :rotfl:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 07:45:10 AM »

520,000.00 GBP / month = 6,758,993.83 TTD / month

Offline shotters365

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 08:15:33 AM »
'obscene'

This year Manchester United increased season tickets by 13 per cent and said fans have to automatically buy European and Carling Cup games as well, and that costs an extra £200.

Chelsea are £250million in the red (debt)

But!

Terry's salary is understood to be around £130,000 a week

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 08:56:37 AM »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »
OF COURSE, THE FANS ARE NOT WITHOUT BLAME.  IF FANS WHO MAKE 30,000 PER YEAR ARE GOING TO SHELL OUT 300 PER SEASON TO BUY SEASON TICKETS FOR RICH PLAYERS, WHOSE FAULT IS IT.  AS LONG AS I CAN SEE THE GAMES ON TV OR FOLLOW THE GAME ON THE CPOMPUTER OR RADIO, I WILL NOT PAY EXHORBITANT PRICES TO GO TO THE GAMES.  IF THE FANS TOOK A FIRM STAND AND REFUSED TO ATTEND GAMES AT SUCH A COST OWNERSHIP, AGENTS, AND PLAYERS WILL COME TO THEIR SENSES.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 09:49:57 AM »

Its a puzzle. But you have to say that this new breed of foreign Chairmen are assisting clubs to buy success. My fears are that when they all get bored and walk away from football, how on earth will clubs afford £135,000 per week salaries?

I've always believed players should be paid as much as they can get, but there should be a reaonable cap to that. I'd rather see JT earn £80,000 and see the other £55,000 filter down to the guys at Barnet and Hereford who work just as hard in much less plush surroundings. Yes I know talent should be rewarded, but surely £1 million a year plus any sponsorship deals should be enough for anyone?

Bakes, your right of course. If the clubs are going to pay those wages, why shouldn't the players ask for the money. I would just like to see more parity.

I spoke to a guy in the championship who started with Chelsea the same time as Frank Lampard. His wages were around £120,000 per year. He praised Lampard and applauded his talent. But he pointed out that Lampard was not 40 times better than him. Yes he should be paid more...perhaps even 10 times more, but 40 times more is extreme!

question will always be ...who are the fans coming to see ? if they even devalued the entrance tickets would that player bring in any fans ?

I have however always argued that big money will kill football....many have disagreed but many others are now asking the same question I asked ...where will it end and more to the point when will it end ..if it continues unabated !
Some forumites said you cant stop progress and that is the way of professional sports etc. but what happens when the player seen as earning too  much cant exceed the level of expectation because of human limitations ? take the case of maradona.....everyone wanted to invite napoli to play exhibition games ...napoli ! Who they wanted to see was the number 10 ! Napoli even started taking advantage of this by quoting a ' with maradona or without maradona " clause. Of course you paid a higher fee for the former.
...that however meant that Maradona was supposed to give everyone their money's worth everytime !
Now that may work in the case of the super athletes like Ali, jordan, pele, maradona, federer etc. but that is the achilles heel which could see the entire club structure crash..when players do not or cannot match up to expectations and the others around start questioning their ' big ' salaries. When the fans start questioning is when the trouble starts. we are already seeing it with Ronaldinho ...many players would never reach his lowest level yet he is seen as not performing if he cant exceed his last performance ....

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 11:47:41 AM »
Players are only worth what management is willing to pay them. As a player I would get as much money as possible because your self life is fairly limited.

With regard to a salary cap that would be a nightmare to the EPL or any league that implemented it because players would simply move to where there is no cap.
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 11:54:37 AM »
OF COURSE, THE FANS ARE NOT WITHOUT BLAME. IF FANS WHO MAKE 30,000 PER YEAR ARE GOING TO SHELL OUT 300 PER SEASON TO BUY SEASON TICKETS FOR RICH PLAYERS, WHOSE FAULT IS IT. AS LONG AS I CAN SEE THE GAMES ON TV OR FOLLOW THE GAME ON THE CPOMPUTER OR RADIO, I WILL NOT PAY EXHORBITANT PRICES TO GO TO THE GAMES. IF THE FANS TOOK A FIRM STAND AND REFUSED TO ATTEND GAMES AT SUCH A COST OWNERSHIP, AGENTS, AND PLAYERS WILL COME TO THEIR SENSES.

You probably right...fans have to take some of the blame, but then....

We doh have to go quite England to talk about player salaries and match prices.  Of course you have to take it in the context of the value of the dollar compared to the pound...

Right here in T&T men was willing to go without food to attend the WC qualifying games.  When Jackula raise the prices, the stadium was still ramcram.  Even for latas swansong the stadium was packed.  For the friendlies and when yuh had to text to get to win a chance to buy a ticket man busy buying phone and texting.  For Bahrain game men nearly kill deyself and trampled by horses just to get tickets and again to get into the stadium.  When money-talk did come with players, men discuss some of the warriors salaries and realise that the lowest paid amongst the lot still taking home 10 times more than the average forumite, not to mention the local PFL player...and was still more than willing to fight any player cause.

When we lose a game we does just say...well next time.  Nobody in T&T does be so fanatical about the game to kill deyself, or morgage they house to get season tickets, so we may not know what it is like for the average English fan to just merely "refuse to attend games", because not even here we doing that.

As mentioned in a thread last week....the PFL sufferin for crowds, the local NT outfit suffering for crowds, everybody cussing Jackula, but just let KJ come back for one game and yuh go see stadium overflowing with people.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »
Is not the players' fault that their wages are that high..

Why is not obscene the kind of money these clubs make from TV rights and gate receipts??

Furthermore I don't even think that the average football player's salary compares as yet to what those fellahs make playing globally inferior sports like baseball and american football..

The fact is the players need to take as much as they get now, because their careers will only last until about age 35 if they lucky enough, and possibly much sooner depending on injuries..

Lets not forget, most of them sacrificed education in pursuit of a professional career, so aside from the odd few who go on to be coaches, pundits or analysts is their ass to ketch when life begins at 40..

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 12:45:09 PM »
Is not the players' fault that their wages are that high..

Why is not obscene the kind of money these clubs make from TV rights and gate receipts??

Furthermore I don't even think that the average football player's salary compares as yet to what those fellahs make playing globally inferior sports like baseball and american football..

The fact is the players need to take as much as they get now, because their careers will only last until about age 35 if they lucky enough, and possibly much sooner depending on injuries..

Lets not forget, most of them sacrificed education in pursuit of a professional career, so aside from the odd few who go on to be coaches, pundits or analysts is their ass to ketch when life begins at 40..

130,000 pounds/week is friggin nice head start to what will be a short shelf life.  I go be happy if I get JT annual salary for just 1 year, because I probably cyah work for that if I retire at 60.

Give me that shelf life anyday instead of the 9 to 5 job with travelling, housing benefits, medical and of course retirement at 60 yrs.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 01:47:19 PM »

Doh stop dey:
     76,250,560.46 Jamaican dollars
   221,126,614.08 Guyanese dollars
2,319,650,488.39 Venezuela Bolivars
32,449,992,232.46 Zimbabwe dollars
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 02:04:19 PM »

I'm not sure how much the clubs receive from gate receipts as a percentage of their overall income.
The TV deals that the FA has negotiated and the sponsors like emirates, O2 etc must contribute a large amount to the overall.
I guess a player like Terry will be judged on his worth to the team and by extension his sale ability to wider TV audiences, I'm sure there are market surveys that would bear that out e.g What was Barcelona before the owners took the gamble and paid for Rijkaard and the players he brought to the club?
Now Barcelona has a worldwide fan base but even if you don't support them you would probably look at their game live rather than say Bolton or yes even Newcastle. That popularity has more money in it than the gates.
So I don't think when the clubs pay what some might consider exorbitant salaries they are doing so stupidly, I think they pay and hedge on a bigger return by that players overall entertainment worth.

Good points...but I wasn't arguing that gate receipts are the largest chunk of revenue, just trying to show what might differentiate one clubs revenue from another.  Clubs receive an equal pay out from TV rights and league sponsorship money, so ManU will be on even footing with Sunderland this year in that particular line item in the ledger book, but it won't explain why ManU (all things being even) would still have more money to spend on player salaries than a smaller club.

Each team sets it's own ticket prices, concessions, internet access fees (fees for fans to access premium content ala Arsenal), merchandizing deals etc.

These quicker explain (along with revenue from international competitions etc.) the discrepancy between big and smaller clubs.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 05:17:21 PM »
Clubs receive an equal pay out from TV rights and league sponsorship money, so ManU will be on even footing with Sunderland this year in that particular line item in the ledger book,

Clubs don't get even money in the TV deal in England even though it is better than in Spain and Italy. There is a base payment to all the teams but you get more money the more times you are on a TV (so United, Arsenal, Chelsea Liverpool profit the most) and you get a payment at the end of the season for each league position (it used to be 750,000 per position in the old deal and I am sure it more now so the difference between top and bottom is over 15 million dollars).
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 05:51:29 PM »
What was Barcelona before the owners took the gamble and paid for Rijkaard and the players he brought to the club?

Massive club wid' pedigree, global appeal and trophy-laden cabinet

carry on  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 06:29:16 PM »
Clubs receive an equal pay out from TV rights and league sponsorship money, so ManU will be on even footing with Sunderland this year in that particular line item in the ledger book,

Clubs don't get even money in the TV deal in England even though it is better than in Spain and Italy. There is a base payment to all the teams but you get more money the more times you are on a TV (so United, Arsenal, Chelsea Liverpool profit the most) and you get a payment at the end of the season for each league position (it used to be 750,000 per position in the old deal and I am sure it more now so the difference between top and bottom is over 15 million dollars).

Are you sure about that?  Not necessarily questioning it, just that it seems weird...and unfair to the other teams as it can easily open the door for collusion (between the team and the network) and conspires to keep the successful clubs in the black, at the detriment of the other teams.

Regardless, in the event that you are correct then that even furthers the argument that success on the field will only serve to fatten the club's coffers, as reasonably...the more successful the club is, the greater the likelihood that it's games would be broadcast.  Probably explains why the 'bigger' EPL games aren't seen on FSC, but rather on Setanta.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 06:31:45 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »
Are you sure about that?  Not necessarily questioning it, just that it seems weird...and unfair to the other teams as it can easily open the door for collusion (between the team and the network) and conspires to keep the successful clubs in the black, at the detriment of the other teams.

Regardless, in the event that you are correct then that even furthers the argument that success on the field will only serve to fatten the club's coffers, as reasonably...the more successful the club is, the greater the likelihood that it's games would be broadcast.  Probably explains why the 'bigger' EPL games aren't seen on FSC, but rather on Setanta.

That is the problem with the premiership. The premier league is a breakaway league endorsed by the FA when the big Football League clubs weren't happy with how much money they were making.

A long time ago there was a lot of "sharing" across all 92 top clubs, now not even the top tier shares. There was a time when clubs used to share gates so when teams had to play United it was a big payday because they were getting half of 55 - 60,000 worth of fans. United on the other hand would get shafted on their road trips. This changed of course but then the clubs wanted to negotiate their TV deals individually like they do (or did?) in Spain and proposed a breakaway.

The premier league was a compromise brought on by the advent of Sky and the backing of the FA.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 07:29:38 PM »

That is the problem with the premiership. The premier league is a breakaway league endorsed by the FA when the big Football League clubs weren't happy with how much money they were making.

A long time ago there was a lot of "sharing" across all 92 top clubs, now not even the top tier shares. There was a time when clubs used to share gates so when teams had to play United it was a big payday because they were getting half of 55 - 60,000 worth of fans. United on the other hand would get shafted on their road trips. This changed of course but then the clubs wanted to negotiate their TV deals individually like they do (or did?) in Spain and proposed a breakaway.

The premier league was a compromise brought on by the advent of Sky and the backing of the FA.

As with every argument, there is two sides. The PFA (Professional Footballe Association) saw this coming and demanded a cut of tv money and transfer fees. When they were offered small change by the EPL, they called a strike ballot and 99% of players voted for industrial action. EPL then came back and offered a much better deal. Now the PFA get a percentage of all transfers in England and around £16 million this year in tv fees.

This money is used to provide £25,000 per player insurance against a career ending injury, help to fund the players pension scheme and fund programes like kick racism out of football and football in the community. Players are required to pay 3.75% of their earnings into the pension scheme, but there is an earnings cap. Thismeans that no matter how much you pay in, there is a maximum any player can receive back. So, in essence, John Terry and the other top earners are paying money in that will provide pensions for League Two players. So, as much as I believe there should be a wages cap, I can also see how these players salaries can help players on much lower wages.

Also, by having these players in the EPL, tv companies are forever outbidding each other to screen the matches and this results in the PFA receiving more funds.

On the other hand, the working class supporter is being priced out of the game. Until he 90's, football was still affordable to the working class man, who would usually bring his son along to the match. Nowadays, aside from the hardcore supporter, football has become the domain of the corporate body. You can see this at Wembley where the corporate seats are on the halfway line and many seats are empty 15 minutes into the second half because the people are there to eat and drink not to watch the football.

Even at League 1 Leyton Orient, it costs a guy around £30 ($360TT) for him and his son to attend, and thats just the ticket price.

1]; } ?>