April 23, 2024, 04:30:50 AM

Author Topic: Sunderland want Jones to give Eriksson short shrift  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sunderland want Jones to give Eriksson short shrift
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article3129727.ece

Written before the City game... the part about the girls is funny...

By Michael Walker
Published: 05 November 2007

Sven Goran Eriksson has revealed that when he was manager of Lazio he tried to sign Roy Keane from Manchester United. "I was on the phone to his agent," Eriksson said, "but then he signed a new contract with United." Now Manchester City's manager, Eriksson will shake hands with Keane, the manager of Sunderland, at Eastlands tonight.

Keane knows the flattering side of what it is like to be a wanted man and he is coming to understand the potential hazards of having one in his team. In this case it is Kenwyne Jones, with whom Keane raised eyebrows with his £6m purchase from Southampton in August.

But Jones has scored four times in seven Premier League games for the Wearsiders – three in his last three – and Keane said: "If he continues in the form he's in, I would expect some calls. That shows the progress he has made in a short period. There are not that many big target-men out there. So the fact that he is quick and has a good touch makes it obvious that people will identify him. As for his opponents, it's one thing identifying certain players, stopping them is another thing."

A link has already been made with Liverpool and it would have been interesting to note Jones's language last week when he described life on Wearside as "a bit slow" and "quite hard, different." Jones added: "Sometimes you might need more excitement." Southampton must have been something else.

What is undeniable is that the 23-year-old from Trinidad has established himself as a key Sunderland player in just two months and, with Keane still feeling the hardship of injuries to last season's important duo of Dean Whitehead and Carlos Edwards, Jones's maturity has been welcome.

"He's a physical presence for us," Keane said. "We have to be careful not to put too much pressure on him. He's new to the Premier League but he has taken the responsibility on like a true man and that's what pleases me the most.

"He's laid-back. He's that character. I saw him on his second day here and it felt like he had been at the club a long, long time. He was talking to the girls in the office. A lot of the lads do that, the ones from Trinidad in particular."

Perhaps of more relevance tonight are the 20 goals Sunderland have conceded so far. City lost 6-0 at Chelsea in their last league match but a win would take them third.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland want Jones to give Eriksson short shrift
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:45:07 PM »
Keane trying to get the man in trouble or what. ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:50:12 AM »
http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article3129727.ece

Written before the City game... the part about the girls is funny...

By Michael Walker
Published: 05 November 2007

Sven Goran Eriksson has revealed that when he was manager of Lazio he tried to sign Roy Keane from Manchester United. "I was on the phone to his agent," Eriksson said, "but then he signed a new contract with United." Now Manchester City's manager, Eriksson will shake hands with Keane, the manager of Sunderland, at Eastlands tonight.

Keane knows the flattering side of what it is like to be a wanted man and he is coming to understand the potential hazards of having one in his team. In this case it is Kenwyne Jones, with whom Keane raised eyebrows with his £6m purchase from Southampton in August.

But Jones has scored four times in seven Premier League games for the Wearsiders – three in his last three – and Keane said: "If he continues in the form he's in, I would expect some calls. That shows the progress he has made in a short period. There are not that many big target-men out there. So the fact that he is quick and has a good touch makes it obvious that people will identify him. As for his opponents, it's one thing identifying certain players, stopping them is another thing."

A link has already been made with Liverpool and it would have been interesting to note Jones's language last week when he described life on Wearside as "a bit slow" and "quite hard, different." Jones added: "Sometimes you might need more excitement." Southampton must have been something else.

What is undeniable is that the 23-year-old from Trinidad has established himself as a key Sunderland player in just two months and, with Keane still feeling the hardship of injuries to last season's important duo of Dean Whitehead and Carlos Edwards, Jones's maturity has been welcome.

"He's a physical presence for us," Keane said. "We have to be careful not to put too much pressure on him. He's new to the Premier League but he has taken the responsibility on like a true man and that's what pleases me the most.

"He's laid-back. He's that character. I saw him on his second day here and it felt like he had been at the club a long, long time. He was talking to the girls in the office. A lot of the lads do that, the ones from Trinidad in particular."

Perhaps of more relevance tonight are the 20 goals Sunderland have conceded so far. City lost 6-0 at Chelsea in their last league match but a win would take them third.

Keane aint know that the man want to whine on a bumsie or what.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:19:04 AM »
they just keepin de Ladies on the "front lines" happy, so they treat the fans good.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:07:39 AM »
Ah nearly did with laugh when ah read that. The man is a real Trini for true. I guess Keane reminiscing about Yorke days at Man-U.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 08:56:51 AM »
I could see we Trinis now calling dem white gyal in the fton office.

PSSSSSSSSST..Family, yuh was ever with ah Trini man

doh leh meh send meh boy Dwight behind yuh, yuh know cuz like yuh never hear bout dem Bago man and dem

Més que un club.

1]; } ?>