April 19, 2024, 10:40:06 AM

Author Topic: In TnT football, what ever happened to......  (Read 5622 times)

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In TnT football, what ever happened to......
« on: November 06, 2007, 02:23:49 PM »
The regiment band playing during the game ??

I'm sure people remember that band conductor pelting away his cap and baton when TnT score against Costa Rica; I think it was in the 1990 WC qualification campaign  ;D

Feel free to add your nostalgic memories of things associated with a trini football match that have seemed to disappeared for one reason or another.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 02:28:48 PM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: In TnT football, what ever happened to......
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »
JUMBO ??
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »
JUMBO ??

lol, u know i was about to ask that as well, but i remember someone saying he got into some narcotics trouble overseas  ::)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 02:29:18 PM »
cap, spanner, belt, wrong address....

T n T football teams doh share beat so again (not sure if that is a good for bad thing)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »
JUMBO ??

lol, u know i was about to ask that as well, but i remember someone saying he got into some narcotics

Doh make joke nah...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »
JUMBO ??

I see Jumbo in Toronto last year Caribana time selling corn soup!........I ask him wha happen to the nuts, he say he eh sellin dat no more.....
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 04:01:58 PM »
...the crowds?  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 05:48:21 PM »
It had a man who used to walk around the athletic track at the Hasely Crawford stadium with a big national Flag when ever we had international games,what happen to him?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:49:12 PM »
It had a man who used to walk around the athletic track at the Hasely Crawford stadium with a big national Flag when ever we had international games,what happen to him?

Flagman dead dread. Nobody didn't send yuh the fax ?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 06:01:21 PM »

Flagman dead dread. Nobody didn't send yuh the fax ?
        I really did not know that,is guys like him used to make you feel proud to play for your country because if he could walk around that track so many times to support us,is only normal that you perform well,although it's late but RIP Flagman.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
Kitchener was a must at Football,never missed a game especially Defence Force.
What about the guy with the Shell in Mahaica Oval Point Fortin.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 06:13:39 PM »
Kitchener was a must at Football,never missed a game especially Defence Force.
What about the guy with the Shell in Mahaica Oval Point Fortin.

Who dat!  RakaTak de biggest shit talker in T&T Sports from South. His speciality was football and Cycling. That man make Edgar Vidale get fired as T&T football coach afte a game in skinner park. Sadly he died in a car accident coming back from Cycling in Arima in the late 70's.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »
Keith Sheppard,Noel Saldenah,Geoge Baptiste was also a must where ever Football was played,that's how we got our reports in the News papers.
Rafie Knowles,Dave Lamy,Bernard Pantin,Ashford Jackman TV and Radio comentry,sports news.
Observer that's the man self the one and only Raka Tak,we had our own in the North a guy they call Duke,i feel he used to get in free because he was always in Football.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
the original man w use to walk arond the running track before and durning half time with the Trinidad flag

he pass away now though

Jumbo doing well for himself in Toronto
He have a small food place and thing

Més que un club.

Offline soupman

• Soup Man
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »

Jumbo doing well for himself in Toronto
He have a small food place and thing

Now that you mention Jumbo I have flashbacks. He was in a ad for Nestle peanut punch at one time right?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »
Noel Saldenah

as immortalized by the Commentor in the calypso "Blood Money" detailing the events of the Oval Protest against the British cricketers that played in South Africa before coming to the West Indies...

"They beat we like ah carnival road march
They didn't spare man woman or chile
They say that ? give the signal
To pass baton like they wild
A next officer nickname Lucifer
Say loss them in jail like Mandela
They grab Saldenha camera, he tell them stop
He get kick up like if was World Cup"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 06:23:36 AM »
the original man w use to walk arond the running track before and durning half time with the Trinidad flag

he pass away now though

anybody remember a game we play against USA in the stadium some years back...

some white american youth jump over de barrier onto de cycle track with he american flag and start walking behind the flagman.. and walking behind we flagman waving he stars and stripes and mocking he walk too.. and in all this the police and security stand idly by watching the whole scene unfold with this pitch intruder, but leaving it be cause he white nuh.. and the youth make bout two laps with the flagman, but realize is every few paces or so he hadda take a small jog to keep up with the pace..

until de youth just get roast and bun out, and we flagman still going strong.. and the whole stadium rocking behind the flagman..

anyone else remember that one?

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 09:50:08 AM »
Nah, like nobody remember that one... :devil:
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »
We have a new flagman and d Min of Sport pay 4 he to go Germany to
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »

he pass away now though

anybody remember a game we play against USA in the stadium some years back...

some white american youth jump over de barrier onto de cycle track with he american flag and start walking behind the flagman.. and walking behind we flagman waving he stars and stripes and mocking he walk too.. and in all this the police and security stand idly by watching the whole scene unfold with this pitch intruder, but leaving it be cause he white nuh.. and the youth make bout two laps with the flagman, but realize is every few paces or so he hadda take a small jog to keep up with the pace..

until de youth just get roast and bun out, and we flagman still going strong.. and the whole stadium rocking behind the flagman..

anyone else remember that one?

i remember this very well brother. that was ah classic!!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 11:17:51 AM »
Nah, like nobody remember that one... :devil:

Ouch!!  :D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 07:30:22 PM »
........the National Team (Soca Warriors)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 10:23:53 PM »
It have real ting in TT football that fall orf.

Mr. Ling Pong Wing....Chhhaannaaaaa Khuuuurrrmmaaaa Eeeennnnn. 

Then they had a short man....SSSSSSTTRRRUTTTerrrrrrrsssssss. aka Chicken foot souse.

Even the nuts men..... is only Landing and buy nuts from meh nah...who still there. Jeff, the first nutsman to come with two proper Nuts bag like luggage. The sweaty fat ras, all of them fall orf.

Even some of the pie men fall orf too.

Of the drinks people they used to have a tall beast like woman she stop coming game...but they still have a ole man fatish fella balding and he have a goalpost teeth mouth or he missing he two front teeth...always sell Carib. He going strong.

In TT football in the stadium whatever happened to lights and water in the toilet. dustbins, match programmes, pennants for sale and all kinda other paraphernalia.

ALso crowds....where everybody in the same section come like family....aka strike squad 89 era.

A proper national anthem...pan alone...not the Gospel/Jazz/Pop/RnB/Messed Up version where they changing all the notes of the anthem. They does have times I does even wonder if is the same tune they singing.

Good high caliber friendlies against good national teams or big clubs. We ent see a big side down here in a while.

The setta pebbles that used to be around the stadium pitch...men used to skate into that right tru.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »
It have real ting in TT football that fall orf.

Mr. Ling Pong Wing....Chhhaannaaaaa Khuuuurrrmmaaaa Eeeennnnn. 

Then they had a short man....SSSSSSTTRRRUTTTerrrrrrrsssssss. aka Chicken foot souse.

Even the nuts men..... is only Landing and buy nuts from meh nah...who still there. Jeff, the first nutsman to come with two proper Nuts bag like luggage. The sweaty fat ras, all of them fall orf.

I was going and write about the nuts men.

I bounce up chinee man in POS town hall last time I was there. He didn't believe me when ah tell him he was an integral part of mih childhood growing up when he use to be selling at matches in PSA, Serpentine Road and President's Grounds.

I think Nuts landing was the first man I ever hear tell the joke but the blind man and the salfish vendors - cah remember which West Indies match it was.
That fella use to be engage in some serious slackness - I remember him following and pointing for about 1/4 of the length of the Carib stand behind one overly thick thing who decide to show up in a pum pum shorts for a match. Lord have mercy, I was barely 12

I ent see strutters in a looooooooong time - even before I leave Trini.

Selling nuts use to be a art oui...

ps: What happen to a 2$ bag of nuts. Last time I was back home the only time i get the opportunity to buy some was from the man over by TTEC Park Street. He gimme a price dey I think i buss one steups in de man face dread - he must be say mih mother ent give me no training at all
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:40:39 PM by Midknight »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 11:02:11 PM »
 Ah not sure much men if any will remember this some parts of it still vague for me.

But TT national team (ah cyar remember which 1) in the late 80's playing a friendly in the HC . A Trinidad player get injured by the goal post so the trainer Leslie Hoyte have to run from half line to the end of the field to reach him .

So he start off with a sprint and about half way slow down to a jog then he start to hold on to he hamstring then collapse in pain just as he reach the player who by this time looking at him quizzically (like wha de ass wrong wid dis man ?).
The player stand up now looking at Leslie not knowing what to do , the other team trainer take off now to help Leslie but when he was about to reach him, realise that he was coming in too fast and try to stop but end up sliding into Leslie and hitting him on his head, by this time the stadium going mad and the player rolling on the ground laffing.  ;D ;D

They had to strecther Leslie off.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 02:08:19 AM »
yeah jed, sometime last year sometime posted a photo wid dat fellah in it and ah asked de same question, nuff men did remember dat episode, high comedy!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 02:23:36 AM »

Original Nuts Landing Quote:
I will spin my wheel of fortune on your family feud, because my price is riiiiiiight  ;D

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
Nuts Landing quote again "Buy in bulk, br@#k like hulk."  :rotfl:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 02:31:37 PM »
I remember the flag episode and the trainers debacle. High class comedy in the HC boy! I not surprised about Touches' accuracy in accounting for the diminishing presence of the regular sustenance providers at games - he is the official SW.net food connoisseur. Nuts Landing still real funny though. Whatever happen to Jumbo's helpers? Some of them used to real get bouffed from him boy.  It's a pity that none of them took up his mantle.Sssssssssssstrrrrrrruuutters really fall off the map boy. I remember one time there was a little fella about three years old sitting behind his parents in the uncovered stands (pre-seats stadium) playing with a pepsi bottle, a good five minutes after strutters passed all you hear is "Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspopcorn!" well everybody around the lil youth man gorn off eh man. There was always entertainment off the field even if it was lacking on it.

As somebody mentioned the crowds, what about the safe ambience in the crowded stadium - look at Small Mag's report about the game yesterday and like he pointed out guffing up and fisticuffs is the norm for these school games. What about the crowds that used to follow football in the savannah, PSA grounds and I'm sure the other community grounds. Yu don't see the same level of support these days at all.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
strutters is a fella i go always remember..wen i first moved to south he used to come by and do some work on our yard..up till recently wud still see him liming on de junction in Claxton Bay..eh see him in a while tho
As for de Hoyte episode is a shame da man was we PE teacher in pres for so long...man had de jokiest run i ever see wen players get injured..Look like a damn chicken running on de field
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>