April 26, 2024, 10:26:07 PM

Author Topic: Avery John gets down and (not) dirty: Boston Globe  (Read 3912 times)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
Avery John gets down and (not) dirty: Boston Globe
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:28:27 AM »
http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2007/11/15/john_gets_down_and_not_dirty/

John gets down and (not) dirty

FOXBOROUGH - Avery John performed in the MLS Cup for the Revolution and the World Cup for Trinidad and Tobago last year. Both experiences could be considered the epitome of a soccer player's career, but neither was completely fulfilling for John.

The Revolution lost in the MLS Cup and Trinidad and Tobago players, despite delivering an inspiring performance, became involved in a pay dispute that has not yet been resolved.

So, though John's international career could be over and the Soca Warriors' aspirations have likely been stifled, John is maintaining high standards with the Revolution.

John will return to the MLS Cup for the third successive time when the Revolution meet the Houston Dynamo in Washington, D.C., Sunday, his hard-tackling style complementing central defender Michael Parkhurst's finesse.

"He's solid as a rock," coach Steve Nicol said of John. "He gives nothing away, he gets it done with no frills, none of the fancy stuff. He is an old-fashioned tackler; when he goes in he takes the ball, and everything else. He is aggressive, but he is going for the ball. Coaches who complain about his challenges, if they had somebody on their team like that they would be quite happy with him."

John said his style has not changed since he was a youngster growing up in Vance River, Trinidad. MLS referees, though, could be getting used to John.

In his first year with the Revolution, John was issued nine cautions in 24 playoff and regular-season games. John has been yellow-carded 11 times in 54 games since.

"I don't think I'm dirty or nasty, I don't come from behind you and I don't hit people off the ball," John said. "But if the ball is there to be won, I'll take it. If they don't want to go into a tackle they should jump, but I'm going to go for a good, fair tackle."

John kicked up his intensity several notches for the World Cup and was ejected after a second caution early in the second half of Trinidad and Tobago's 0-0 tie with Sweden, one of the surprise results of the tournament. It was the Soca Warriors' first appearance in the World Cup, and they set up effective defend-and-counterattack tactics, holding opponents scoreless for 173 minutes before falling to England.

That was good preparation for the MLS playoffs. The Revolution started the postseason in a defensive mode, earning a 0-0 tie in New York in Game 1 and extending a three-game shutout streak with a 1-0 win over Chicago last Thursday.

"By the end of the regular season, we had been through a lot," John said. "In the US Open Cup, we played our best game [a 3-2 win over FC Dallas]. We've worked all year to get to this point and now we are in a position to complete it. Everyone is fit and buzzing around in practice, and now we have to make sure we are 110 percent for the game.

"We know we have to win it. Both teams have some pressure to win it, but I believe we want it more."

This will be something of a homecoming for John, who played for two years and earned a business administration degree from American University in Washington. John played alongside Nicol, who was a player-coach, with the Boston Bulldogs in 1999, then went to Ireland and performed in the 2002 Champions League preliminaries with Bohemians. By 2004, John was ready to move on and Nicol brought him back.

Last year, John played in only 10 regular-season games, partly because of international duty, but the Revolution had a 7-0-3 record with him in the starting lineup. This year, the Revolution had a 14-4-6 record in all games (cup, playoff, regular season) with John starting.

John did not perform against Houston this season, the Revolution winning (1-0) in Houston and tying (3-3) at home. The last time John played against the Dynamo, he deflected a cross that Brian Ching finished for the tying goal in last year's MLS Cup.

"Houston is a strong team and they have the best goals-against record in the league," John said. "But we are playing on the East Coast and we should have people supporting us, and that's to our advantage."

The Revolution will provide free bus transportation to the final, departing Saturday from Gillette Stadium. Check-in is 9 a.m., and the bus leaves at 10 a.m. For more information call 1-877-GET-REVS or go online to www.revolutionsoccer.net. The match will be shown at the Fidelity Investments Clubhouse at Gillette Sunday.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:51:18 AM by SOBRIQUET »
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
Re: Avery John gets down and (not) dirty: Boston Globe
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »
Avery John, de distributor of de meanest blade!  ;D
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:13:58 AM »
MLS final game is this Sunday, Nov 18th @ 12 est on ABC!

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:44:19 AM »
Large up Mr Blade, ah will be looking tuh see which player or players dat will be holding dey ankle on Sunday  :devil:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 03:46:37 PM »
Avery is a real footballer and we need more like him.  Give it your all every second of every game.  The Soca Warriorss need more like him.  Swing you blade brother, and never back down.  IT would have interesting if he had played against England in the WC!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 04:08:54 PM »
Any one going this game?
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 05:46:31 PM »

Nice one, nice one......Nice article too
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »
up to the top...........

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 08:33:53 AM »
Fuh a natural left footer, de breddah have a shocking lack of control and consistent passing ability. 

That said, yuh cyah knock his honest effort.  He makes the most of his limited abilities and it has enabled him to make a decent living in the game.

Respeck to Avery John everytime.  :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:35:20 AM »

That distinction goes to none other than Ansil Elcock. You obviously missed the game where he broke Chuatemoc Blanco's legs in 2000 ;D
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:04:37 AM »

That distinction goes to none other than Ansil Elcock. You obviously missed the game where he broke Chuatemoc Blanco's legs in 2000 ;D

He didn't break his legs, he tore his cruciate ligaments.  Dat put Blanco out of de game for about 8 months.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »
Fuh a natural left footer, de breddah have a shocking lack of control and consistent passing ability. 

That said, yuh cyah knock his honest effort.  He makes the most of his limited abilities and it has enabled him to make a decent living in the game.

wow Palos. you take a nasty dig like dat, then say "respeck." Obviously many reputable coaches throughout the years, from college in the US, to pro teams in england, ireland, our T&T national team and now NE Revs do not share your sentiment! This passing thing is a myth to me. Avery is a good passer, who never gives it up cheaply. But if he does lose it, he works extremely hard to either get the ball back or stop the counter immediately.  He is very strong on the ball and Dominating in the air.  And one of the things coaches have always liked is his speed and ability to recover.  Not to mention his devastating tackling. "Limited abilities" you say, ha! Top coaches around the world obviously have a better eye for talent than you..anyways, "respeck..."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 01:57:51 PM by SOBRIQUET »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »

wow Palos. you take a nasty dig like dat, then say "respeck." Obviously many reputable coaches throughout the years, from college in the US, to pro teams in england, ireland, our T&T national team and now NE Revs do not share your sentiment! This passing thing is a myth to me. Avery is a good passer, who never gives it up cheaply. But if he does lose it, he works extremely hard to either get the ball back or stop the counter immediately.  He is very strong on the ball and Dominating in the air.  And one of the things coaches have always liked is his speed and ability to recover.  Not to mention his devastating tackling. "Limited abilities" you say, ha! Top coaches around the world obviously have a better eye for talent than you..anyways, "respeck..."

You right.  Top coaches from top clubs like Glenavon FC, New England Revolution, and Presentation College obviously think very highly of his control and passing abilities.

If you want to take my observation as a "nasty dig" daz your perogative.  IN MY OPINION, Avery's strength's are NOT his control and passing.  If they were, he more than likely would be playing at a higher level than he is. 

Because a man deficient in some areas doh mean he doh have value as you seem to think I indicatin.   As ah say...daz your pergoative as it is mine to telll yuh hull yuh ass wit dat dotish talk.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »

I doh have any issues with what yuh saying, but when yuh say "for a natural left footer" are you saying that a left footer playing left back should be able to control and pass better, or is it that natural  left footers suppose to have that as a 'natural capacity'?

Thanks in advance.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »

lol, palos this comment come like yuh pat avery on he back with ah sledgehammer..

wha kinda double edge sword kinda ting is dat??

if one thing can be said about him the man consistent.. not everybody could be superstar. but like u say he play within he abilities and did it well, and it shows in the appreciation he get from his coaches. and think about it, how often have we had ample reason to vilify him like some of our other national team regulars?

one thing though, i wonder if he would have been a villain had we lost to sweden that day? for me that decison was lil harsh..

anyway big up avery john..

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »

You right.  Top coaches from top clubs like Glenavon FC, New England Revolution, and Presentation College obviously think very highly of his control and passing abilities.

If you want to take my observation as a "nasty dig" daz your perogative.  IN MY OPINION, Avery's strength's are NOT his control and passing.  If they were, he more than likely would be playing at a higher level than he is. 

Because a man deficient in some areas doh mean he doh have value as you seem to think I indicatin.   As ah say...daz your pergoative as it is mine to telll yuh hull yuh ass wit dat dotish talk.

i see wherein lies the problem. your conclusions are based on horrific facts. take a free pass then. cheers! :beermug:(swing by wikipedia, or google when yuh get a chance)....

just like a trini. somebody in the boston globe write up a nice nice article on we boy, and what do we do? take a dig, then throw in a random "respek" to make it all good.....haha. i love my people yes.......
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 04:06:11 PM by SOBRIQUET »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »

palos yuh not easy..true avery hasn't played for any tops club like Yorke and Latapy but that's life...sometime we talk about stuff without having  the whole story...as for avery he had the opportunity to play in England recently and things didnt work out and it had nothing to do with his on the field performance, it was strictly an issue with the MLS f**king up ah Non US player(same reason shalrie Joseph arse still at New England)...i am not going to go into all the details..my point is sometime we (including me) talk about players, judge and criticize without all the facts (nothing wrong with that..that is the job of fans)...at the end of the day avery is ah player who committed to any team he plays for ..whether it be the soca warriors, pres, new england or deep south shithound eleven.

P.S. i agree his control and passing is not the best(how many central defenders in the world are great passers..yes his natural position is central defender (Pres, national uner 17/20/23 teams) but since he is one of the few left footed players we have he was converted to left back..as a matter of fact how many of our players are capable of good ball control and passing ..let me see..Latas, Yorke, and Ronaldinho (shit..he is not ah trini)...marvin andrews and dennis lawrence could control or pass ah ball?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:31:47 AM by real madness »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 06:54:59 PM »
Big up to Avery like Marvin and Dennis dem fellas play with there deficiencies but is dem fellas take we to d big dance so we forever in dey debt. Not to mention I eh see men to take their place
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 07:34:44 AM »

i see wherein lies the problem. your conclusions are based on horrific facts. take a free pass then. cheers! :beermug:(swing by wikipedia, or google when yuh get a chance)....

just like a trini. somebody in the boston globe write up a nice nice article on we boy, and what do we do? take a dig, then throw in a random "respek" to make it all good.....haha. i love my people yes.......

More than most people here on de board you should know Avery a little better than man who watch him play. Did you not play with him at American University. Dat was a good team......

Big up to Avery John....faithful warrior....Ah going to see him today throw blade in their roo koong kuh toong koong..... ;D

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 09:05:36 AM »
Lol Palos that's a bad dig just because you're a left footer doesnt give yuh god endowed abilities to play the game and for crying out loud the man is a defender ....I think everybody is aware of avery's strengths and weaknesses as a player you either appreciate his value to the team for it or not....your statement doesnt come across as a compliment but rather as a diss ...so choose to either diss the man all the way or compliment the man your choice everything else is just hypocritical......just my humble opinion lol....oh yeah and if any player was better than they are with the given opportunities dont you think the chances of them making a better living off the game would be better?

1]; } ?>