48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 250614 times)

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Firing Latapy not the answer
« Reply #1110 on: December 09, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »
jus had a tlk wit a national player who came in my office to handle some biz and i popped the question.
What is d problem?? (wit regards to the team proformances)
His respose - "it was set up fuh latas to fail, no support from the start, jack waner and dem good yes hmmm, trinidad football boy"

Not surprised

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 09, 2010, 10:16:45 AM »
jus had a tlk wit a national player who came in my office to handle some biz and i popped the question.
His respose - "it was set up fuh latas to fail, no support from the start, jack waner and dem good yes hmmm, trinidad football boy"

I think a lot of us here knew this, but Jack is so good at what he does, he still managed to turn Latas into a scapegoat and have otherwise sensible fans ready to hang Latas by the neck from the highest tree.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 09, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »

Sugar & Weary what allyuh say to this?

That Latas should have known better and he make his bed so he must lie in it?!

Just wondering what allyuh response to this revelation from one of the national players is!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 09, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »

If TT had qualified for the Gold Cup, JW warner would have made some extra $$. No set up for Latas to fail.

Man... we lost to Cuba and Grenada!!Yes TT lost to Grenada...How much support does a TT coach needs to beat Grenada??? The bottom line is that Latas is not ready to coach at this level!

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 09, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »

Iv'e been sayin that for a while...the writing was all over the wall when i see no friendlies b4 the last group stage and to boot they schedule the FA tourney same time

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1115 on: December 09, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »

Iv'e been sayin that for a while...the writing was all over the wall when i see no friendlies b4 the last group stage and to boot they schedule the FA tourney same time

still doesn't save latas from being a bad coach. when yuh catching yuh tail to draw with belize, there is no excuse. like people forget latas had good results before the final round but when he faced better opposition he mess down the place

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 09, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »

Sugar & Weary what allyuh say to this?

That Latas should have known better and he make his bed so he must lie in it?!

Just wondering what allyuh response to this revelation from one of the national players is!!

If anybody who know what JW gives iz he and Yorke so d fact that he was dumb enuff 2 take d wuk NO TEARS WILL B SHED. I say he miss d lime is over 20 yrs he out dey so he come home 4 a lime at we expense.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kingdavid

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »
so how u explain men dat playing ball fuh d national team and "aint get pay fuh d yr" including d coach who wasnt getting pay all d time, it not easy working fuh thanks yuh kno

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1118 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
so how u explain men dat playing ball fuh d national team and "aint get pay fuh d yr" including d coach who wasnt getting pay all d time, it not easy working fuh thanks yuh kno

yea and i forget the players not getting paid

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 09, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
Lets get Dave Chapelle
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 10, 2010, 04:56:09 AM »
How many coaches have been hired and fired under this current crop of idiots led by the Special Adviser and to date we cannot get it right,so you fire the magician, the root of the demise of our football still exists,how long again would we have to wait before another crisis arises
The management failed and they should do the honarable thing and step down,their ideas are antiquated we need fresh thinking of which they have shown they are incapable of......  :devil:

Socopro......want to change your tune...... :devil:

I said so and so it is

How could you be knowingly setting up your national coach for failure ,its all a management issue,its rotten from the top how can you ever produce good fruit,when those in authority have a different agenda

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 10, 2010, 05:33:50 AM »
I jus glad to see d over inflated view of football getting bus, an man startin to see dat is time for real serious development (building from d back)...............gone are d days when you could jus put 11 man on d field an say "here alyuh go an play".................d WI team seein it and now we seein it our player need plenty remedial work and Latas should be made a youth skills coach that's where I feel he will be most useful to T&T football.

Well said!  :beermug:

I concur!!! :beermug:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #1122 on: December 10, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »
Latapy has to take a lot of the blame but the reality is the senior team was neglected for the last couple of years in particular.We moved from relatively decent friendlies to Guyana and friends  to no international match at all. Hence my statement that football is dead here. You can't blame the coach for not getting games to play.Latapy and all need to take some stick for accepting the situation and not making a scene about it.

I might have looked to the future with optimism if I knew we were going to start taking preparation seriously or if there was meaningful change at the TTFF but none of this has occurred.

Mash up the football Jack, mash it up.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 10, 2010, 06:14:31 PM »
Come on fellas allyuh know Latas ain't taking no small wuk in T&T. 

Therein lies the solution? Offer him a small wuk?

Seriously though, your point is well-taken. The suggestions of give him the U-15 squad etc. are all non-starters.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latas to know fate December 22
« Reply #1124 on: December 14, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
Latas to know fate December 22
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian)

The T&T Football Federation (T&TFF) top officials headed by president Oliver Camps and its special advisor, Fifa vice-president and Concacaf boss, Jack Warner will meet on Wednesday December 22, to discuss the future of Soca Warriors’ coach Russell Latapy. The meeting which will be held among the T&TFF Executive Committee members is to discuss the way forward for T&T football and will be held at the federation’s headquarters, Dundonald Street, Port-of-Spain. This was confirmed by Camps yesterday. A meeting on the issue which was expected today will not take place as planned.

Instead, the T&TFF has requested reports from Latapy, team manager David Muhammad and technical director Lincoln Phillips on the team’s performance at the recent Digicel Caribbean Cup in Martinique in which T&T failed to go past the first round. Those reports will be assessed at the Executive Committee meeting on December 22 at which T&TFF Special Advisor and Fifa vice-president Jack Warner will also be present. Camps said as far as he was aware the meeting will take place to discuss the team’s showing and the “way forward” and not necessarily Latapy’s situation or hiring of a new national coach.

Asked why today’s meeting was postponed, Camps explained the executive had not met to discuss the reports from the team’s staff and technical personnel.

Latapy’s tenure has come under intense scrutiny following’s T&T dismal showing in Martinique, where the seven-time winners failed to reach the semifinal, thus failing to qualify for the Concacaf Gold Cup next year in the USA. Although the T&TFF has not met to discuss Latapy’s future, it is felt that a decision on his tenure has already been made by the federation’s top brass with T&TFF technical advisor Keith Look Loy and Warner, hinting at a change of coach. Warner, in a television interview last week said a coaches future was based on results, and with the T&T team failing to achieve immediate goals, it was more than likely Latapy will be replaced. Look Loy, in a interview on the weekend also hinted at a possible South American or European coaching replacement for Latapy.

During his tenure, Latapy had nine wins, 11 defeats and three drawn results in 23 matches. Contacted, manage Muhammad said he had spoken with Warner and was told a meeting will be held shortly. Muhammad said he was also informed that the necessary documents requested by the Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs, Anil Roberts to settle the payments of salaries to the national players have been submitted.

Last week, Roberts called for proper documentation and claimed it was the reason for the delay in payments to members of the Soca Warriors technical staff and players. A Guardian exclusive earlier had revealed that 36 members of the senior team and technical staff, were awaiting payments for 13 matches dating back to July.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: December 14, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
Loud steups, leh we decide de faith ah special avithor, programme director, and president den too nah?  Useless excuses for mediocrity and corruption
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

truetrini

« Reply #1126 on: December 14, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »
Hope they replaced the texting Manager also.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: December 14, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
the entire ttff needs to be replace very soon..

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:27 AM »
the entire ttff needs to be replace very soon several years ago

Fixed it for you
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: December 14, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »
Hope they replaced the texting Manager also.

How dey go do dat? One of de main sponsors is TSTT, someone need to manage de textin.  :devil:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: December 14, 2010, 11:40:20 AM »
See the same thing I saying. How LP is part of that if he is not really part of them and cannot influence true programs and  actions from the TTFF? How now they could include him as part of the technical staff to report on the mess?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: December 14, 2010, 12:15:27 PM »
Imagine latapy eh fired yet !!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 14, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
Firing Latapy is not the COMPLETE answer. Lehwe put it like that.
Firing Latapy is part of the solution!
I agree with him being a youth team skills coach though .. technical ability is his strong point!
How do you rate his ability to impart that technical ability to others?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: December 14, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
I agree with him being a youth team skills coach though .. technical ability is his strong point!

considering what I've heard of his youngest son I'd say good ............not the best barometer...........but I think he'd have an easier time with young minds that have not yet developed bad habits or who can still be made to break said bad habits.
I pity the fool....

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: December 14, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »

considering what I've heard of his youngest son I'd say good ............not the best barometer...........but I think he'd have an easier time with young minds that have not yet developed bad habits or who can still be made to break said bad habits.

Coaching your kids and coaching other kids is a massive difference.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 14, 2010, 02:41:12 PM »

Coaching your kids and coaching other kids is a massive difference.

I am well aware of dat, admitted as much with bolded above, I still think he is better at teaching younger minds, at this stage and Technical ability is his true asset, whether or not he can properly impart in knowledge in dat dept to other, remains to be seen, but he is arguably the most technically sound player we ever produced.............dont u u tink it is atleast worth a try, dont let his tactical shortcoming as ah coach cloud yuh judgement
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:50:03 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

truetrini

« Reply #1136 on: December 14, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »
See the same thing I saying. How LP is part of that if he is not really part of them and cannot influence true programs and  actions from the TTFF? How now they could include him as part of the technical staff to report on the mess?
Ever heard about a consultant?  Maybe his role is so defined?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: December 14, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »
Ever heard about a consultant?  Maybe his role is so defined?

I understand that everyone beeing saying as much. the article however, made it sound as thought he is as responsible for the results as is Latapy and Mohammed.

truetrini

« Reply #1138 on: December 14, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »
Mohammad eh responsible for nutten.  He is just to buy tickets, make sure man comfortable etc.  He eh know de fuss ting about football.

Back tot eh article, it was not the best written piece. Mohaamad most probably will have to write about non-footballing issues surrounding the team.

How de arse he could write anything about performance?

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 14, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
Firing Latapy not the answer
T&T Guardian Editorial

The failure of the national football team in the Digicel Caribbean Cup finals in Martinique was a clear indication that all is not right with the sport here in T&T.

From being the number one team in the Caribbean and one that was feared by all the other countries, T&T has now been reduced to just another team against which any of the others could compete favourably.

A 1-0 victory over Martinique in their final game and two losses to Cuba (2-0) and Grenada (1-0) effectively stymied the aspirations of coach Russell Latapy’s Soca Warriors, who will now miss the Gold Cup, the premier competition in the region.

It must be ironic that even before the team kicked a ball, Latapy was talking about playing against Jamaica in the final. The Little Magician, as Latapy was referred in his playing days, was overly confident of not only advancing to the semi-finals, which guaranteed a place in the Gold Cup, but of meeting the Reggae Boyz in the Caribbean Cup final.

As it turned out, he was partly right—Jamaica was in the final, which it eventually won, while T&T failed to get to the semi-final.

As usual, the daggers have been taken out and pointed at Latapy and it would seem that the reason for the pathetic display lies in his exclusive domain. Already there are reports he is to be fired and the federation is negotiating with Jean Tigana, the former French player and Dutchman Ruud Gullitt as possible replacements.

It is a knee-jerk response that is destined to fail. The truth is T&T football has been in the doldrums for a long time, some would say blighted by the failure of the federation to professionally deal with the players who represented the country with so much passion and commitment at the Germany World Cup finals in 2006. Several of the players who were heroes on that team were lost to our football simply because they opted to challenge the federation’s financial dealings with them.

It therefore came as no surprise, as revealed by this newspaper’s exclusive story in yesterday’s edition, that once again the federation has failed to pay the players’ salaries for the past 13 matches.

The stark reality is that the days when players ran on to the field simply for the love of representing their country is far gone. Money remains a potent motivational tool, but more importantly for many of the players it is essential for taking care of their families. Even before they get to the point of representing the country, there is the whole question of the role of the administrators. Have they done everything possibly to help develop an environment for the success of players?

Was Latapy exposed to the cutting edge of teaching/coaching technology so that he could develop the knowledge base to better prepare the team? Administrators must understand they are there for the sole purpose of working for the success of the coaches and players, and by extension the team.[/b

If we look hard we will find that in the Martinique failure, there are lessons. Will we learn from them? Someone must tell the nation why it is the pendulum has swung so swiftly. It is folly to ignore this pathetic display and hope that it will repair itself. Football is not magic. The answer lies in the planning and intelligent work by the backroom staff.

If we continuously use the firing of coaches to treat a cancerous problem, we will soon be the doormat of regional football. Firing Latapy is not the answer. The TTFF must dig deeper and come up with real solutions.
I see this and thinking you might have something there ,Ive never seen it done but I guess if latapy start taking his coaching courses and go to seminars and such .And if we could see him getting better ,I guess the rest of your article might work ,but latapy in your scenario has to improve his work ethic .
Especially since it seems like Jack lock off funding .Or just broke ,or just brakesing cause of the trail .
Whatever ,money dried up ,latapy might be the only man willing to do the job . 

1]; } ?>