48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 249630 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Russell Latapy Thread
« Reply #1350 on: November 24, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »
How about Marvin Faustin an Hutson Charles?

Have they been paid?
Haven't they been waiting as long as Latas?

VB

Why yuh don't chip in to help pay them?  Yuh acting as though the TTFA can't start paying off all creditors one by one, that they must pay everybody all at once.

Put yourself in their shoes. These are stalwarts of TT football.
Didn't they go two years without getting their full salaries. Didnt' Beenie leave saying he wouldn't return unless the Coaches were paid.

Good for Latas. Is not his fault. But if you could find money for Latas, why not also for the the Asst. Coaches.

I think is at least four years now these men waiting for their money and interest is accruing.

I'm happy for Latas but sorry for them.

VB
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:51:06 PM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1351 on: November 26, 2015, 02:59:51 AM »
Latapy: Old fire keeps me going.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

“Never forget where you’ve been and never lose sight of where you’re going.”

There’s that old saying which never gets old. And it’s one of them that former T&T great Russell Latapy never forgets. The former T&T head coach made reference to the high points of the 2005/2006 World Cup qualification while in Port of Spain last week.

A day after the 10-year anniversary of T&T’s 1-0 victory over Bahrain to qualify for Germany 2006, Latapy said he would often turn back the clock when he needed inspiration. Of course, he would have had many outstanding moments in his career but the win in Bahrain certainly stands out.

“It’s definitely one of the highlights of my playing career. Everyone saw what it did for the country with the joy that everybody had. And these are the experiences that you call upon in hard times and these are the experiences that you want to experience again. I would very much like to achieve something like this as a coach. It drives me on and drives me forward to keep going,” Latapy said.

“After qualifying for 2006, we should have never gotten to a place this dark in our football history. We are a small nation but the reality is we did. Again, with the President (Raymond Tim Kee) and the Minister (Darryl Smith) and the way they are operating, I’ve had conversations with them and I must say that they’ve been very true to their word and that is a very positive sign. It is also a sign that everyone is pushing in the same direction which is forward. There are some other steps the association has taken which hopefully will raise the levels in various aspects.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In that number: Russell Latapy
« Reply #1352 on: November 26, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »
In that number: Russell Latapy
Hibernian Media

The Hibernian match programme, #GGTTH, is always bursting with content, thanks to our team of writers and our regular features making it an enjoyable and worthwhile read.

One of our features is "In That Number" where the career of a Hibernian icon is chronicled and his story is told. To advertise the features on offer in the programme, the official Hibernian website will showcase some of the writing on offer in the programme to a wider audience.

In That Number: Number Ten Russell Latapy

With an eye for a goal and a killer pass the Trinidad and Tobago football legend provided the spark to ignite Hibernian for three seasons.

Russell Latapy’s footballing tale began in Port of Spain, Trinidad, where he turned out for San Fernando Technical Institute and Tranquillity Government Secondary in the Trinidad and Tobago Secondary Sports League. His undoubted talent was rewarded at an early age as he was capped at the under-10 age group and was dubbed “The Little Magician.”

Now aged 19, Latapy turned down the opportunity to go to Florida International University, instead opting to move to Palo Seco in 1987 where he turned out for Trintoc United in the Trinidadian league set-up before he made the move to play in Maypen, Jamaica, for Hazard United – now rebranded as Portmore United.

He played internationally in the CONCACAF region and narrowly missed out on World Cup qualification for Italia 1990 as Paul Caligiuri’s goal earned a 1-0 win for the United States of America, allowing the USA to take the last qualifying spot from the Soca Warriors. But his performances for club and country earned him a move to Europe.

Academica de Coimbra came calling and the attacking midfielder accepted the opportunity to join the Portuguese side in the second tier of their national league set-up. The gifted attacking midfielder played at the side for four years, registering just shy of 150 appearances, and he caught the eye of then Porto manager Bobby Robson.

He enjoyed a two-year spell, winning the Primera Liga in both seasons and becoming the first Trinidadian to play in the UEFA Champions League. He then moved to Boavista for two years, winning more silverware in the form of the Taca de Portugal and the Supertaca Candido de Oliveira.

It was at the end of his second year when his contract was not renewed and it sparked interest with Alex McLeish following a recommendation from Tony Rougier. He accepted an invite to play as a trialist in a game against Brechin, but within minutes McLeish realised the sparkling gem that was presented to him.

Latapy was signed and played in the 1998/99 season as Hibs romped home to the First Division title, securing promotion in the process. The Caribbean star’s killer first touch, supreme skill and his goal-creation talent was evident, especially when Hibs won 2-0 against Hamilton at Firhill with the midfielder scoring the brace that confirmed promotion.

That season in the First Division helped to endear him to the Hibernian faithful and his fan’s favourite status was further cemented as he enjoyed a solid campaign in the Scottish Premier League. His contribution to a good spell of form in October saw him score five goals as the side remained unbeaten, drawing with Aberdeen and Motherwell, before defeating both Dundee teams.

Hibs fans were satisfied with the continued improvement of the team as they finished sixth and they could see the talent contained within the group of players and knew good times were ahead in the next campaign.

The season began in spectacular fashion as the won 11 out of 15 league games, drawing three and losing just one. Latapy was in mesmerising fashion, as he pulled the strings in the midfield and effectively linked with the attack in that spell.

His most impressive game in the spell was against Hearts in the devastatingly brutal 6-2 victory. Prior to the game in the press conference he spoke about his love for the club and how he was reading up on Hibs’ history, before he undoubtedly wrote his own passage in Hibernian folklore.

His assist for David Zitelli’s goal was a perfectly weighted throughball into the French forward’s pass, before he got in on the act with a goal of staggering ability. He jinked beyond a challenge and played a one-two with Mixu Paatelainen before crashing a volley into the net to round off Hibs’ scoring that night.

His form saw him on the shortlist for the prestigious FIFA World Player of the Year, when he came in at 33rd on the list, leaving him on the same level as Dutch footballing legend Denis Bergkamp. His memorable season was soon to turn sour as he was left out of the last three games of the season, including the Scottish Cup Final defeat to Celtic.

Latapy left the club and went on to play for Rangers and Dundee United, before joining Falkirk and playing for the Bairns for six years. In 2005 he helped the Soca Warriors qualify for the World Cup, dispelling the ghosts of Caligiuri’s half-volley from distance as they toppled Bahrain, with the skilful midfielder, aged 38, playing in the group stage defeat to Paraguay in Kaiserslautern.

He left Scotland in 2009 and joined Caledonia AIA in his home country and played a handful of games before retiring. This retirement lasted two years before he joined Edinburgh City in a short-lived spell at the age of 43.

Since 2007 he has dabbled in coaching, he was assistant manager at Falkirk for two years, before being assistant manager of his national team in 2009 and manager in the same year until 2011. He took a spell out of coaching, before becoming assistant at former club Boavista for one year until joining Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the same capacity – winning the 2015 Scottish Cup alongside former team-mate John Hughes. He left the club and is seeking a new venture in football, ideally as a manager in his own right.

A true maverick loaded with undeniable ability, Latapy is still endeared in the Caribbean, Portugal and Scotland and left an indelible mark wherever he went – a fitting testament to his truly unquantifiable ability.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 26, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
WATCH: Latapy optimistic about the progress of Trinidad and Tobago football
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wOEgjxmxu0g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wOEgjxmxu0g</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: December 16, 2015, 12:28:44 PM »
Russell Latapy sets sights on replacing Ian Murray but faces competition for St Mirren job
By Anthony Haggerty (Scottish Daily Record)

FORMER Rangers star Russell Latapy has thrown his hat into the ring for the vacant St Mirren managerial post.

Record Sport understands that the Trinidadian is bidding to replace Ian Murray in Paisley and would be extremely keen to talk to the Saints board about the position.

Murray quit the club after last Saturday’s 1-0 loss at his old club Dumbarton that leaves the Buddies languishing in third bottom spot in the Championship with just two wins from 16 matches.

Latapy, who gained 81 international caps for Trinidad and Tobago, stepped down from his role as Inverness Caley Thistle assistant to John Hughes back in July.

The 47-year-old ex-Hibs, Rangers, Dundee United and Falkirk midfielder helped Hughes guide the Highlanders to their historic first Scottish Cup success at Hampden in May.

Now Latapy is keen to establish himself as a boss in his own right.

He applied to replace Ian Baraclough in the Motherwell hotseat in October but lost out to Mark McGhee.

Former St Mirren gaffer Alex Miller – who was No.2 to Murray – and keeper Jamie Langfield have been placed in temporary charge of first-team affairs as the Paisley club look to appoint their fifth manager in two seasons.

However, Latapy faces stiff competition to land the job. His old Ibrox team-mate Barry Ferguson, currently in charge of Clyde, has been installed as the bookies’ favourite to succeed Murray.

Former Aberdeen and Dunfermline boss Jimmy Calderwood and Ayr gaffer Ian McCall as well as ex-St Mirren players Billy Davies, Ian Ferguson, Kenny McDowall and Jamie Fullarton are also in the running.

Other names in the frame include former Rangers, Sunderland and Wolves star Alex Rae.

Experienced Greek coach Savas Pantelidis has also submitted his CV. The 50-year-old is out of work but has coached Panthrakikos, Giannina and Levadiakos in his homeland.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: December 19, 2015, 08:17:11 PM »
WATCH: Latapy optimistic about the progress of Trinidad and Tobago football
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wOEgjxmxu0g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wOEgjxmxu0g</a>

Nice to hear his insight

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Russell Latapy feels playing field is not level for black manager
« Reply #1356 on: March 06, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »
Russell Latapy feels playing field is not level for black managers
By Alan Pattullo (scotsman.com)

Despite concern the secondary school bearing his name in Trinidad is being neglected and fears his own bid to return to work is being hampered by racial prejudice, it’s heartening to find Russell Latapy still smiling.

An impish grin has spread across his face as he contemplates his relationship with the Scottish Cup. “I have always had – how should I put it? – an up and down affair with it,” he says, on a visit to Scotland from Portugal to promote today’s William Hill Scottish Cup quarter-final between Hibs and Inverness Caledonian Thistle, two of his former clubs. “I had some wonderful times with Hibs and then I missed the final for well-documented reasons. Then I was able to come back with Inverness a few years later and was able to lift it.”

These “well documented reasons” involve a night out with Dwight Yorke in the run-up to the final in 2001, when Latapy-less Hibs were beaten 3-0 by Celtic. He enjoyed some delayed redemption last season when he and John Hughes guided Inverness Caledonian Thistle to the final, where they defeated Falkirk 1-0. “It got a bit crazy on the way back up, it was way past my standards,” he says, with reference to the subsequent celebrations on the team bus’s return journey to the Highlands.

The mood turns slightly more serious when he contemplates his current situation, which could be described as being between jobs. He walked away from Inverness before the beginning of this season, explaining to Hughes that he wished to manage in his own right, rather than be an assistant.

He planned to be back in work by the end of the year. “I do miss Scottish football and football in general, but it was a decision I made at the time and you have to stick by them,” he says. “I left Inverness at a peculiar time, when it was the beginning of the season and everyone pretty much had their teams. I was hoping that maybe by December I would be back in the game.

“I know I will be back in the game by the beginning of next season. I’ve already had a few offers that have not been right for me, although not in Scotland. These have been in Portugal and the Caribbean. But next season I will definitely be back.”

He believes his ambitions are being frustrated through no fault of his own. There is a persistent suspicion black managers are not being given the chance to show what they can do in British football – and Latapy subscribes to this view. In Scottish football, where Latapy would most like to manage, the absence of black managers is as stark as anywhere, perhaps starker.

Since John Barnes’ ill-fated period in charge at Celtic, the only black or mixed race manager to work in the top flight was Marcio Maximo, who had a short time in charge of Livingston in 2003-4. Dave Smith, who managed Montrose for a short spell in the 1990s, was the last to operate in the lower tiers, where Latapy says he is happy to start being a manager in his own right. He was interviewed by Falkirk after Steven Pressley left in 2013, while there were rumours he was in line to take over at Alloa Athletic in January, before Jack Ross was appointed.

“Do I think there is still a block for black managers?” he ponders. “Yes, I do. I know it can be dangerous to compare situations but you see a lot of managers getting opportunities who have not proved themselves and then you see a lot of black managers who have done a lot as players and in coaching who do not get that opportunity. I think there is still, unfortunately, the situation that black managers are not getting a fair chance compared to young, white managers.”

He is not necessarily in favour of the implementation of a Rooney Rule-type measure, as applied in American football, whereby clubs are forced to interview a certain number of black and minority ethnic candidates.

“I would have to think more about that [the Rooney Rule],” he says. “But what I would say is that I – and every other black manager in football – want to get an opportunity based on merit, not based on a governing body saying they have to do it. I would suppose maybe that would be an opportunity for us to show what we could do, but I would much prefer to get a chance through a chairman of a club saying ‘he is the right man for our club’.

“I’ve had a few interviews and they thought that someone else was the right man for the job.”

For the time being he is based in Porto, where he watches one of his former clubs play each home game. He realises he has to keep watching football to keep himself updated in coaching techniques. But he is also travelling back and forth to his Trinidad homeland, where as well as having discussions about a club managerial vacancy – he is deliberating whether to take the post or not – he is involved in efforts to ensure the Russell Latapy secondary school can survive a recent downturn in investment.

“It is in a very difficult area where I grew up,” he explains, with reference to Laventille, a suburb in Port of Spain. “The school has been a bit neglected. So I had a couple of meetings with the ministry of education to try and upgrade the school.”

He has, then, perhaps more important things to worry about. But he accepts the Scottish Cup is a serious business, particularly when it comes to Hibs. What does he think the Hibs fans would prefer – success in the Scottish Cup, or promotion? “Both!” he says. “The fans want to play in the Premiership but they also want to win the Scottish Cup.”

“It’s been more than 100 years!” he adds. “But I think if they could do either one the fans will be delighted this season.”

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 06, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »
Russell Latapy feels playing field is not level for black managers
By Alan Pattullo (scotsman.com)

Despite concern the secondary school bearing his name in Trinidad is being neglected and fears his own bid to return to work is being hampered by racial prejudice, it’s heartening to find Russell Latapy still smiling.

An impish grin has spread across his face as he contemplates his relationship with the Scottish Cup. “I have always had – how should I put it? – an up and down affair with it,” he says, on a visit to Scotland from Portugal to promote today’s William Hill Scottish Cup quarter-final between Hibs and Inverness Caledonian Thistle, two of his former clubs. “I had some wonderful times with Hibs and then I missed the final for well-documented reasons. Then I was able to come back with Inverness a few years later and was able to lift it.”

These “well documented reasons” involve a night out with Dwight Yorke in the run-up to the final in 2001, when Latapy-less Hibs were beaten 3-0 by Celtic. He enjoyed some delayed redemption last season when he and John Hughes guided Inverness Caledonian Thistle to the final, where they defeated Falkirk 1-0. “It got a bit crazy on the way back up, it was way past my standards,” he says, with reference to the subsequent celebrations on the team bus’s return journey to the Highlands.

The mood turns slightly more serious when he contemplates his current situation, which could be described as being between jobs. He walked away from Inverness before the beginning of this season, explaining to Hughes that he wished to manage in his own right, rather than be an assistant.

He planned to be back in work by the end of the year. “I do miss Scottish football and football in general, but it was a decision I made at the time and you have to stick by them,” he says. “I left Inverness at a peculiar time, when it was the beginning of the season and everyone pretty much had their teams. I was hoping that maybe by December I would be back in the game.

“I know I will be back in the game by the beginning of next season. I’ve already had a few offers that have not been right for me, although not in Scotland. These have been in Portugal and the Caribbean. But next season I will definitely be back.”

He believes his ambitions are being frustrated through no fault of his own. There is a persistent suspicion black managers are not being given the chance to show what they can do in British football – and Latapy subscribes to this view. In Scottish football, where Latapy would most like to manage, the absence of black managers is as stark as anywhere, perhaps starker.

Since John Barnes’ ill-fated period in charge at Celtic, the only black or mixed race manager to work in the top flight was Marcio Maximo, who had a short time in charge of Livingston in 2003-4. Dave Smith, who managed Montrose for a short spell in the 1990s, was the last to operate in the lower tiers, where Latapy says he is happy to start being a manager in his own right. He was interviewed by Falkirk after Steven Pressley left in 2013, while there were rumours he was in line to take over at Alloa Athletic in January, before Jack Ross was appointed.

“Do I think there is still a block for black managers?” he ponders. “Yes, I do. I know it can be dangerous to compare situations but you see a lot of managers getting opportunities who have not proved themselves and then you see a lot of black managers who have done a lot as players and in coaching who do not get that opportunity. I think there is still, unfortunately, the situation that black managers are not getting a fair chance compared to young, white managers.”

He is not necessarily in favour of the implementation of a Rooney Rule-type measure, as applied in American football, whereby clubs are forced to interview a certain number of black and minority ethnic candidates.

“I would have to think more about that [the Rooney Rule],” he says. “But what I would say is that I – and every other black manager in football – want to get an opportunity based on merit, not based on a governing body saying they have to do it. I would suppose maybe that would be an opportunity for us to show what we could do, but I would much prefer to get a chance through a chairman of a club saying ‘he is the right man for our club’.

“I’ve had a few interviews and they thought that someone else was the right man for the job.”

For the time being he is based in Porto, where he watches one of his former clubs play each home game. He realises he has to keep watching football to keep himself updated in coaching techniques. But he is also travelling back and forth to his Trinidad homeland, where as well as having discussions about a club managerial vacancy – he is deliberating whether to take the post or not – he is involved in efforts to ensure the Russell Latapy secondary school can survive a recent downturn in investment.

“It is in a very difficult area where I grew up,” he explains, with reference to Laventille, a suburb in Port of Spain. “The school has been a bit neglected. So I had a couple of meetings with the ministry of education to try and upgrade the school.”

He has, then, perhaps more important things to worry about. But he accepts the Scottish Cup is a serious business, particularly when it comes to Hibs. What does he think the Hibs fans would prefer – success in the Scottish Cup, or promotion? “Both!” he says. “The fans want to play in the Premiership but they also want to win the Scottish Cup.”

“It’s been more than 100 years!” he adds. “But I think if they could do either one the fans will be delighted this season.”
R Latapy have to stop trying to get a job in the SPL and look for a job in the lower leagues bring a couple TRINI'S to the club like M W Ling and get the club promoted until they get to the SPL that's how you prove yourself do not move back to Trinidad try and get a coaching job in the lower leagues in Scotland or Portugal.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 19, 2016, 03:31:18 PM »
Catch Latas @ Laventille Nights.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 19, 2016, 06:00:01 PM »
Love latas , but what is he gonna to do if he  gets hired ,make odd player choices and then never talk to the the press to explain them , such odd behavior from the Magician, still boggles me why lived in a bubble when he was here .
He needs to fix that pronto .

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 19, 2016, 06:42:58 PM »
Latas on i95.5 NOW! 8:43pm TT time. Mandatory listening.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 19, 2016, 07:11:27 PM »
A youthman calls for a Laventille-grounded Pro League squad.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 20, 2016, 07:19:19 PM »
Wait! How old is Latas' son? He should be ready for under 15, yea?

LOL
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 20, 2016, 08:37:47 PM »
A youthman calls for a Laventille-grounded Pro League squad.

Isn't AIA the team for that area. Why can't Laventy support the Morvant. We so divided, we end up diluting the talent in an area. That is why the pro-team don't get crowd.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 20, 2016, 10:17:06 PM »

LATAPY RETURNS HOME:

WATCH VIDEO: https://www.facebook.com/cnewslive/videos/10154055362170610/

Former National Football captain Russell Latapy, returned to his hometown of Laventille on Tuesday evening. He was a guest of the Laventille Nights Series at the Beetham Gardens Community Centre in Phase 2. The meeting in Beetham was the second stop of the programme, following last Wednesday's meeting in John John that included former world track and field 200 metre champion Ato Boldon.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: April 21, 2016, 07:34:16 PM »
WATCH: Russell Latapy gives his thoughts on the current Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Team.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/esTgfyBxWxA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/esTgfyBxWxA</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Now Latapy sues TTFF ...for $5m
« Reply #1366 on: May 26, 2016, 03:47:59 AM »
A little for ‘Latas’
By Ian Prescott (Express).

Former national coach Russell Latapy has been paid a part of monies owed to him for services as a coach to the Trinidad and Tobago senior national team, but apparently there is still a long way to go.

In November, Sport Minister Darryl Smith had made a commitment to pay the former national player and coach half of US$1 million owed to him for his tenure as coach of the Soca Warriors between April 2009 and April 2011.

Latapy first filed action against the Football Association (TTFA) in October 2011, for salary owed as well as compensation for wrongful dismissal from the coaching position. In January of 2014, Latapy withdrew his lawsuit against the TTFA, after the two parties agreed to settle out of court.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 19, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »

Give ‘Magician’ Latapy a wand for youth football
By Andre Baptiste, T&T Guardian

T&T’s football is at a critical stage and unless we take some important steps, there will be severe consequences. As is normal, everyone is concentrating on the national senior team’s efforts in the final round qualifiers for Russia 2018. Therefore, focus is on the next two matches against Guatemala at home on September 2, and the USA four days later in the United States.

Latapy has a number of positives going for him, not least the fact that the population feel a tremendous debt of gratitude towards him for his outstanding achievements and performances over the last 35 years, from a teenager to his days as coach.

Let’s face it, T&T’s development plan is non-existent. The Football Association will say differently but the harsh reality is that there are no cognitive signs in any of the programmes in football, whether at the youth or any level for that matter.

I believe the David John Williams team can win some positive attention amidst a number of questionable scenarios. I am urging him to appoint Latapy to oversee a programme for our youth, which could include some oversight on coaching standards, something that is badly needed in T&T.

Appointing Latapy would be a great step in the right direction.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2016-05-18/give-%E2%80%98magician%E2%80%99-latapy-wand-youth-football

Congrats to Russell Latapy on returning to a NT coaching staff.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:33:31 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA announces Russell Latapy as National U-17 Head Coach
« Reply #1368 on: August 20, 2016, 05:43:13 AM »
TTFA announces Russell Latapy as National U-17 Head Coach
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association President David John-Williams on Friday introduced former national captain and ex-Senior Team head coach Russell Latapy as the new head coach of the Men’s National Under 17 Team ahead of the upcoming Caribbean Football Union Final round of qualification for the 2017 FIFA Under 17 World Cup.

John-Williams made the disclosure at a Press Conference hosted by the TTFA at the Ato Boldon Stadium as he spoke of other developments taking place within the TTFA including the appointed members of staff for the Under 17 team. Those include Reynold Carrington as assistant coach and the decision to retain the services of two previous assistant coaches with the team, Kyle Small and Duane Richardson. The goalkeeper coach is Nigel Neverson, the team physio is Otis Hislop, Devin Elcock is the equipment manager and Alexandrine Elliot-Procupe has been retained as the team manager.

John Williams noted that Latapy’s appointment came following as assessment of a number of applications for the post followed by an interview conducted by the TTFA technical committee.

Latapy has agreed to a two-year contract with the option of an extension and he will also serve as a staff coach for the other national youth teams. Part of his services will include conducting coaching courses. Latapy is the holder of a UEFA Pro License.

“Russell, despite all you have been through with the TTFA, our discussions have been fruitful. I want to thank you again, not only for applying… you came out on top in the interview… you did accept the offer,” John Williams stated.

“The tournament is about a month away, I want to go on the public record to thank the staff that had been working with the team voluntarily for about a year now. And it’s indeed an honour for me to thank you for the support you have given to the national programme,” John-Williams added during which he also praised the efforts of Stephen Hart and the Senior Men’s Team for their current sitting at the top of the semi-final round World Cup qualifying group.

Latapy also addressed the gathering, expressing his delight on the opportunity to serve local football again.

“I had an opportunity to look at the players and it stresses the feeling that I have that we’ve always had very talented young players in this country. One of the problems we’ve had in the past is these young players are not getting guidance from an early age,” Latapy stated.

“I am here with the Association to try and provide the guidance and opportunity for some of these young players to move forward in football and have a career in football.”

“This is a perfect opportunity for the Association and myself in working with the younger players and passing on some of the tricks of the trade in professional football and international football that I’ve gained over the years,” the ex-Porto player added.

T&T will go into action in its opening Group A match against Haiti on September 16th at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. They then face Bermuda on September 16th and Jamaica on September 20th.  Group B comprises Suriname, Curacao, Guadeloupe and Cuba and matches in this group will take place at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

The two group winners will advance to the semi-finals. Those four semi-finalists will also automatically advance to the CONCACAF Final Round scheduled to take place in Panama in April. The best third placed team will also complete the five Caribbean qualifiers for the CONCACAF Final stage.

Four teams from CONCACAF will advance to the FIFA Under 17 World Cup in India.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0vmF0m7FIV4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0vmF0m7FIV4</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-5M1uqDOfxU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-5M1uqDOfxU</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 20, 2016, 07:40:23 AM »
I only hope Latas do a better job with the U-17 team than our recent coaches at this post

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 20, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
I only hope Latas do a better job with the U-17 team than our recent coaches at this post

I hope TTFA give him the resources to prepare the team.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 20, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »
somehow I don't get the impression that finding the best possible coach under the circumstances was reasons # 1, 2 & 3 behind this hire. Tek dat!! I feel in the fullness of time men go be longing for Jack Warner & Ollie Camps to come back and save we football.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 20, 2016, 01:16:09 PM »
Very good by the TTFA.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 20, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »
Latapy is a very very brave man to walk into this situation with 20 odd days to prepare the boys for Haiti, Bermuda and Jamaica. He must really think he is a magician.

The last coach got their boys through CFU group and finals stages to Concacaf in 2013 and 2015. Fortunately, as host we automatically qualify for CFU finals so he has 3 games to prove himself...seems risky or something else going on.

Our U17 team Coach has a UEFA Pro License..Really? Is this the new standard for youth coaches

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 20, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »
Latapy is a very very brave man to walk into this situation with 20 odd days to prepare the boys for Haiti, Bermuda and Jamaica. He must really think he is a magician.

The last coach got their boys through CFU group and finals stages to Concacaf in 2013 and 2015. Fortunately, as host we automatically qualify for CFU finals so he has 3 games to prove himself...seems risky or something else going on.

Our U17 team Coach has a UEFA Pro License..Really? Is this the new standard for youth coaches

There are youth coaches all over Europe (and elsewhere) with said licence. Of course one need not possess a pro licence to deliver value at this level, but what's the harm?

Offline Tobago28

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 20, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »

There are youth coaches all over Europe (and elsewhere) with said licence. Of course one need not possess a pro licence to deliver value at this level, but what's the harm?

Agreed said coaches all over Europe but we are not Europe so I am not sure about the comparison. My thinking is that I like the appointment and his level of coaching licensing however my point is will we be able to continue at that level when he moves on. I want consistency and a high standard, compare his coaching(only) level to the two he is replacing. I just do not want a huge drop off if and when he moves on

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke lauds Latapy’s appointment as U-17 Head Coach
« Reply #1376 on: August 21, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »
Yorke lauds Latapy’s appointment as U-17 Head Coach
TTFA Media

Former Trinidad and Tobago captain Dwight Yorke has hailed the appointment of Russell Latapy as Head Coach of the National Under 17 Team by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association.

Yorke, a former Manchester United and Sydney FC player, spoke on Sunday about the introduction of Latapy to the national youth teams coaching set up with the former Glasgow Ranger midfielder also set to serve as a staff coach with the different national youth teams.

“I’m happy to see that Russell has been given the opportunity to get involved with the development of football in Trinidad and Tobago,” Yorke told TTFA Media.

“It’s no secret the love he has for the game and for the country. We all know the kind of individual he is and the amount of experience he has had as a player at the highest level and now the knowledge he has gained in coaching. This will all definitely put him in a position to make a valuable contribution,” Yorke said.

Yorke served as an assistant coach to Latapy for a short period when the latter was head coach of the Senior Men’s team during the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign. He believes that having Latapy oversee the development of the national youth team players can bring benefits to the national programme.

“I think it’s an excellent move to have him working with the youngsters and passing on what he can. Not too long ago he was still a player and his performances have left a life time mark on the game. And the young ones will definitely stand to learn a lot from him and be excited by it at the same time.

“As an ex-national player  who has contributed in the manner that he has to the game back home, I know Russell still wants to give back a lot more in a coaching capacity. And I’d definitely want to wish him the best in his new position as the head coach of the National Under 17 squad,” Yorke stated.

Yorke, currently an ambassador for Manchester United, added that he intended to be home to witness this country’s Senior Team’s upcoming 2018 World Cup qualifier against Guatemala on September 2nd at the Hasely Crawford Stadium

Latapy is expected to conduct his first official training session with the National Team on Monday at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

Latapy has agreed to a two-year contract with the option of an extension and he will also serve as a staff coach for the other national youth teams. Part of his services will include conducting coaching courses. Latapy is the holder of a UEFA Pro License.

T&T will go into action in its opening Group A match against Haiti on September 16th at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. They then face Bermuda on September 16th and Jamaica on September 20th.  Group B comprises Suriname, Curacao, Guadeloupe and Cuba and matches in this group will take place at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

The two group winners will advance to the semi-finals. Those four semi-finalists will also automatically advance to the CONCACAF Final Round scheduled to take place in Panama in April. The best third placed team will also complete the five Caribbean qualifiers for the CONCACAF Final stage.

Four teams from CONCACAF will advance to the FIFA Under 17 World Cup in India.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shaka : Latapy’s football IQ a major asset
« Reply #1377 on: August 27, 2016, 07:54:17 AM »
Shaka : Latapy’s football IQ a major asset
TTFA Media

Former Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper and current ESPN football pundit Shaka Hislop believes that local football stands to benefit tremendously from the services of Russell Latapy as head coach of the National Under 17 team and his involvement with the development of the other youth teams over the two-year period he has agreed to serve the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association.

Hislop lauded the appointment of Latapy by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association, saying that he thinks the “Little Magician” has returned to the national set up at the appropriate time.

“I’ve known Russell for a long time. We both played way back in the late 70s early 80s on the under 10 national side I’ve been part of Russell’s football career certainly early on then in Europe and then the national team.

“Russell, as still being one the most talented players we have ever produced, I still believed his football IQ is his greatest asset and that was on display throughout his career representing the red, white and black,” Hislop said.

“He was able to bring that football IQ, one developed over the years and nurtured through time in Europe, playing in Jamaica, around the Caribbean and representing the national team and he was able to bring that back for the senior team not too long ago in what was , I’m sure Russell won’t mind me saying, a bit of a disappointing spell. I felt it came a bit too early for Russell in his managerial career. But he would have taken that experience, taken the mistakes made, taken the things he got right and learned from it and when you have somebody with the IQ of Russell, those lessons can prove to be invaluable in the long term.”

“It’s an opportunity now that is very exciting for a number of reasons. I think it’s the right time to get Russell back into the coaching set up. I think he would have learned more and is a better coach now than when he would have taken the senior team a few years ago. I can only imagine that as a 15 or 16 year-old, for me if I were at that level, playing under 16 football, a player with his talent and experience is exactly the kind of person I would have wanted to be showing me what needs to be done to make it not just at the under 17 level but also at the senior team level,” Hislop added.

The former Newcastle and West Ham United custodian went on to say that Latapy’s role is much greater than trying to qualify the Under 17 team to the 2017 FIFA Under 17 World Cup in India.

”Long term I think Russell’s talent and focus should be on developing these players to best serve the national senior team when they make that step up, giving them the tools both in terms of nurturing their skills and applications and their mentality and what it will take from them psychologically to make that jump. Short term success isn’t going to be what defines Russell Latapy as a coach. At the same time, I understand in this game you are judged by what you bring short term and ultimately if he does have a number of short term success that will prove to be the stepping stone for Russell to succeed to the senior team again as a head coach.

“I hope that comes and I hope it comes at a time when he is better prepared for it. Russell remains not only one of the brightest talents our country has ever produced but one of the highest footballing IQs of players our country has ever produced and that type of asset is invaluable in this game and I hope to see Russell involved in our set up for a long time to come,” Hislop concluded.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 27, 2016, 10:36:18 AM »
Nice to see we can afford to pay ALL our top and bottom coaches now. Unless Latas just fulfilling the rest of his last contract.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Latapy "Rage QUIT Plz" Thread
« Reply #1379 on: January 15, 2017, 06:48:18 AM »
Latapy heads TTFA wishlist to replace Saintfiet; but Warriors want Hart, Fevrier or Fenwick.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Former Trinidad and Tobago football legend Russell Latapy is believed to head the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s (TTFA) wishlist, as the technical committee ponders its replacement for outgoing coach Tom Saintfiet.

However, the Soca Warriors are pleading with the local football body to return Stephen Hart to the helm.

Saintfiet, who lost both 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup playoff matches to Suriname and Haiti on 4 and 8 January respectively, informed the public that he had resigned his post on Wednesday morning, just one month into his tenure.

The journeyman Belgian, whose former jobs included the Bangladesh, Malawi and Namibia National Teams, blamed TTFA president David John-Williams for creating an environment that made it impossible for him to be successful.

Wired868 understands that, even before Saintfiet quit, Latapy—who served as the Belgian’s assistant—had already been offered the job. However, this was not confirmed by either party and, even then, the approach was said to have occurred after the Warriors lost to Haiti on Sunday night.

There is no suggestion that Latapy did not fully support Saintfiet during the latter’s short-lived stint as head coach. However, if Latapy does take over the top job, it would be the second time that he inherited the position after serving as assistant to his predecessor.

On 8 April 2009, then head coach Francisco Maturana resigned and claimed that there were “differences of opinion in the last couple of games with Latapy” and there was “never one belief” with his assistant.

Then TTFF special advisor Jack Warner appointed Latapy on an interim basis with Zoran Vranes as his assistant. Vranes was subsequently replaced while Latapy kept his place for a total of 20 months.

In 13 competitive matches, Latapy led the Warriors to five wins, one draw and seven defeats and was eventually relieved his place after Trinidad and Tobago were dumped out of the 2010 Caribbean Cup at the group stage with defeats to Cuba and Grenada.

Latapy’s return to international duty, last September, was also a disappointment as Trinidad and Tobago were eliminated in the group stage on home soil in the Caribbean Under-17 Championship after losses to Haiti and Jamaica.

Latapy, a former World Cup 2006 player and Porto and Glasgow Rangers playmaker, barely had three weeks with the youth team before the competition.

And, if one of the country’s most iconic players gets the nod from the TTFA technical committee, it will be another devilishly difficult task with Trinidad and Tobago needing at least four points in Port of Spain against Panama and Mexico to kickstart their campaign on 24 and 28 March respectively.

Pro League CEO Dexter Skeene chairs the technical committee, which also includes Dr Alvin Henderson (vice-chairman), Muhammad Isa (technical director), Errol Lovell and Jinelle James. Former 1991 World Youth Cup coach Bertille St Clair has taken leave from the committee for health reasons.

Notably, Latapy is not the players’ choice—although nine members of the current Warriors pool ran out under “the Little Magician”, six years ago.

In an email to John-Williams and TTFA vice-presidents Joanne Salazar and Ewing Davis, the national footballers urged the local football body to reinstate Hart. The email was sent by Central FC goalkeeper and players’ representative Jan-Michael Williams but was said to represent 23 unnamed national players who all collaborated in the message.

“We, the players, come to you with utmost humility, asking for your consideration with regards to the selection of a new coach for the National Men’s Senior Team. We have accumulated a list of four names for special and serious consideration for the position of Head Coach and Assistant Coach.

“We KNOW it is not our decision to make, neither is it our place to make such demands, but we—23 current players—have pooled our knowledge, resources and ideas together to come up with a few names for your immediate consideration.

“We can all agree that we the players have interacted with these names at some level, so we can safely say our knowledge can be used in this regard.”

The coaches identified by the players are: Hart, W Connection coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier and former Central FC and San Juan Jabloteh coach Terry Fenwick.

Trinidad and Tobago national players are not usually given a say in the selection of coaches but there is precedent. In 2005, Warner hired Englishman Ron Atkinson to replace Bertille St Clair—three games into the Hex—and, as a matter of courtesy, informed the senior players before revealing his choice to the media.

However, the senior players, led by captain Dwight Yorke and goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, refused to play for Atkinson due to his previous run-ins with Yorke and racist remarks the controversial manager made about former France World Cup winning captain Marcel Desailly.

So, Warner did an about-turn and eventually returned with former Real Madrid and Netherlands coach Leo Beenhakker instead.

In this case, the Warriors are suggesting who they would like to have as coach rather than who they do not want. The 23 players stressed too that, although Hart was their first choice, they had not decided on the preferred candidate between Fevrier and Fenwick.

Fevrier, a St Lucian by birth, spent most of his adult life in Trinidad and coached in the local top flight since 1999. He spent six months as Trinidad and Tobago coach in 2003 but was replaced before ever leading the team into competitive action.

His record of two wins, three draws and three losses was seen as credible at the time against largely decent opposition like South Africa, Venezuela and Morocco.

However, Fevrier was replaced by St Clair at the supposed insistence of a few senior players led by star striker Stern John. Although the St Lucian is a widely respected local coach, his proximity to Connection owner John-Williams could potentially be a double-edged sword.

Fenwick, a former England World Cup defender and Tottenham Spurs captain, has never coached a national team but is a multiple Pro League Coach of the Year and is widely regarded as one of the best—if not the best—coach on the island.

His teams are athletic, aggressive and tactical flexible and he worked with most of the current squad including Khaleem Hyland, Kevin Molino, Sheldon Bateau and Williams. But his relationship with John-Williams is strained while his blunt, brash style has divided football stakeholders.

Interestingly, Fenwick and Fevrier were believed to have been on the technical committee’s shortlist, even before the appeal from the national players.

Serbian coach Zoran Vranes, who led Trinidad and Tobago at the 2009 Under-20 World Cup, and Colombian Francisco Maturana, who coached his native team at the 1990 and 1994 World Cups and is a former South America Coach of the Year, are also believed to be on the TTFA’s radar.

Fenwick, Vranes and Maturana all applied for the national post, two months ago, but were overlooked for Saintfiet.

Wired868 understands that Maturana, who steered Trinidad and Tobago into the Hex for the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign, will not return as a stop gap measure and is only interested in the post if he has the opportunity to rebuild the national team.

Fenwick is believed to be also disinterested in a short-term appointment.

If the TTFA insists that its next coach—like Saintfiet—will only be guaranteed employment until the end of March, it is likely to thin their options even further.

At present, Latapy, who is already employed by the TTFA as a national youth team director, seems to be the preferred candidate. But the players have other ideas.

The Warriors stressed, though, that they would give full support to whoever is selected by the local football body.

“We pledge our full support regardless of who is selected to the position, even if it a person or persons outside of this list, as we know that we the players play an integral part in helping the team to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.”

There was one other request from the players. They want team doctor Terence Babwah and paramedic Dave Isaac gone due to a supposed breakdown in trust, after the two staff members claimed that Hart used Williams against medical advice for Trinidad and Tobago’s last World Cup qualifier away to Honduras.

“We would also like that the duo of Dr Terrence Babwah and Dave Isaac be replaced with IMMEDIATE EFFECT, because of the lack of trust that we the players have in them,” stated the players. “We look forward to working with you—the Federation—hand in hand to reach our goal, which is qualification for the 2018 World Cup.”

(Full statement from 23 Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team players)

Good day Members of the TTFA,

We hope this message meets you all in good health and spirits.

We, the players, come to you with utmost humility, asking for your consideration with regards to the selection of a new coach for the National Men’s Senior Team. We have accumulated a list of four names for special and serious consideration for the position of Head Coach and Assistant Coach.

We KNOW it is not our decision to make, neither is it our place to make such demands, but we—23 current players—have pooled our knowledge, resources and ideas together to come up with a few names for your immediate consideration.

We can all agree that we the players have interacted with these names at some level, so we can safely say our knowledge can be used in this regard. We pledge our full support regardless of who is selected to the position, even if it a person or persons outside of this list, as we know that we the players play an integral part in helping the team to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

We also ask that we be treated without prejudice, neither for the composition of this list nor for allowing it into the hands of the media, as we believe it will be treated with the seriousness it requires when we do so. The list is as follows:

Head coaches for consideration:

Stephen Hart

Stuart Charles-Fevrier

Terry Fenwick

Angus Eve (Assistant Coach)

We would also like that the duo of Dr Terrence Babwah and Dave Isaac be replaced with IMMEDIATE EFFECT, because of the lack of trust that we the players have in them.

We look forward to working with you—the Federation—hand in hand to reach our goal, which is qualification for the 2018 World Cup.

1]; } ?>