48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 247484 times)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Russell Latapy Thread
« Reply #1440 on: March 29, 2021, 06:26:34 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: March 30, 2021, 06:26:26 PM »
Barbados vs Anguilla 0-0 HT

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 31, 2021, 05:41:29 AM »
Barbados1-Anguilla 0

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: March 31, 2021, 06:16:29 AM »
Who knew stern John was coaching anguilla?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 31, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »
Dat was news ah long time now
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: March 31, 2021, 09:56:39 AM »
Would be interesting to see d highlights of this one
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 31, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: March 31, 2021, 12:04:10 PM »
Ok anguilla pretty much park d bus and congested d midfield, even there corner defence was packedExactly what I would with dat team. Barbados on d other hand lacked edge, to thief a quote from fifa20 commentary dey edge was blunt
I pity the fool....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1449 on: April 01, 2021, 01:30:27 AM »
Latapy: Target me
...but leave the players alone
T&T Express Reports.

Head Coach of the Bajan Tridents, Russell “The Little Magician” Latapy says he will take all the criticisms for the team, but has asked detractors to leave his players alone.

He was speaking from the Dominican Republic where the Barbados senior men’s football team contested their first game of the 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. The Tridents withstood the Panamanians up until the 82nd minute but ultimately fell to a 1-0 defeat at the Felix Sanchez Stadium, in their opening Group D game.

The Tridents subsequently rebounded with a similar 1-0 win margin over a stubborn Anguilla last Tuesday. Anguilla’s head coach happens to be Latapy’s former T&T teammate, Stern John. It took a full 81 minutes before minnows Anguilla finally conceded.

“Sometimes for the general public, the expectations do not match the support that the players have. We’re competing with players whose livelihood is professional football and all we ask is that our players go out there and give 100 per cent every time. I think every man (Thursday) night gave us 110 per cent and I’m proud of them to the maximum,” said Latapy.

With regard to the naysayers, Latapy said he knew with the job of head coach would come heavy criticism which he was willing to accept, but he made it clear when it came to his players he would defend them at every turn.

“To put things into perspective, I have boys who work in a warehouse. I also have boys who work on a truck for eight hours and then they come to training two, three times a week. I have boys who are working and training maybe 10, 12 hours a week against boys who are training 30 and 40 hours a week. I think what the boys did (Thursday) night, they deserve a lot of credit for it based on everything that we know,” he said.

Latapy pointed out that it was not just about the BFA (Barbados Football Association) supporting the players, but the public at large doing the same.

“The reality is that we have our expectations and I don’t know if those expectations, as a general public, match the support that these players get. As coach, it is my job to demand of them, but the reality is we don’t know in terms of nutrition and rest what is going on with them.

“We at the BFA are trying to put the right things in place, but we also need support in doing that. It is not the easiest thing. If we can put all these factors in place, it gives these young players and young talent a better opportunity to mature and do well in a sport they choose to play and then football is in a good place,” he stressed.

While the head coach acknowledged some Bajans had rallied around the team and commended the management, coaching staff and players for their efforts against Panama, he said he knew the expectations were high heading into Tuesday night’s game.

“I am delighted to hear that and it is appreciated. All I ask for is that we be fair. In a game like tonight (Tuesday), I know the expectations are there because it has to be there. What we’re trying to do is improve and become better. We take those expectations on board and we want to go out and win these games.

“On the other hand, we’re saying if we’re playing Panama and the USA and Canada, of course we want to go out and win these games as well, but I think the expectations of the fans should also be realistic,” he said.

—Barbados Football Association

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: April 01, 2021, 01:43:45 AM »
Probably the most local squad than most teams.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: April 02, 2021, 12:41:57 PM »
Anguilla keeper like he playin fuh Barbados.  Same color jersey. 

In the opening clip...I wondering why de Bajan defender slide tacklin de Bajan forward as he takin a shot at goal....only to realize is de Anguilla goalie yes  ;D

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: June 12, 2021, 12:58:22 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago football legend Russell ‘The Little Magician’ Latapy discusses his rise in the game from playing small goal football in Laventille, the 1990 and 2006 World Cup campaigns, coaching Barbados, and a string of influential coaches—including Jean Lillywhite, Everald ‘Gally’ Cummings, Bobby Robson, José Mourinho, and Leo Beenhakker.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HHp8OJ2abiI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HHp8OJ2abiI</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 07, 2021, 02:03:00 PM »
Heads should roll
By Morissa Lindsay (Barbados Today)

Former national captain Terry Sealy is calling on national head coach Russell ‘Little Magician’ Latapy to do the decent thing and resign as head coach of the Barbados senior men’s team.

Sealy made the call for Latapy’s head during an interview with Barbados TODAY following Barbados’ worst ever defeat of 8-1 by Bermuda in the CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifiers played last Friday night in Fort Lauderdale.

“I think he should do the decent thing and save his career and move forward. All over the world that is the decent thing for any football coach to do. You have been given a chance to move the Barbados team forward and we have been knocked out of all the tournaments, why hang on?

“We have to make those strong decisions. I expect the executive of the Barbados Football Association would quietly meet with Latapy and ask him to resign. The president himself has to ask himself some questions,” Sealy said.

A former BFA council member, Sealy raised his hands as one of those who vouched for Latapy being named head coach of the Barbados team. It is a position the former Trinidad and Tobago midfielder has held for the past two years.

However, given the harsh reality that Barbados under Latapy’s tenure has not had any great success or qualified for any major tournaments, Sealy sees it as a great embarrassment and is calling for answers.

He is also willing to take matters further and call a no-confidence motion against the Randy Harris-led administration if that is what it will take for Barbados’ football to move forward.

“I will be doing a bit more investigation to find out some of the things that went wrong and if I am not happy, I would be calling and most likely moving forward to asking the president to step down or bring a no-confidence motion. This is a total embarrassment to Barbados football and from what I am hearing in terms of all the administrative problems we had, the president cannot continue.

“We need answers or the President will take the lead and step aside and let some new blood take over the running of Barbados football. Barbados football has not moved forward over the last ten years. All we have done is a lot of PR service,” Sealy stated.

Not satisfied with how Barbados football is being administered, Sealy said that the resources spent to retain Latapy’s services could be better spent on local coaches. He also warned that Barbados needed to pay special attention when it comes to rushing to bring in too many foreign players.

“I am one who said openly I supported the choice of Latapy as a coach. I played against him back in my early days. I have always liked him as a player and clearly what I am seeing here, Latapy has not been able to take control of the Barbados team and move our football forward.

“I am not happy at all with the overall running of our football. There are a lot of talks. We have not been able to put together a steady management at no time to work with our teams, you are always chopping and changing with the managers, the coaches. There is so much going on that it tells me there is no stability and it has to start at the top for us to move forward.

“For us to wait until 2022 to see what we do now in the next tournament, I think that we should be taking a fresh guard and allow some new people to come into play and move our football forward,” Sealy explained.

He added: “We had over the last seven, eight years, about two or three different technical directors. The national team had – I can’t even count the number of coaches that we had – but we have not in the last ten years been able to move forward in any actual competition.

“I strongly think that the head has to take that responsibility and realise it is time for us to take a new guard. Allow some new and fresh brain to come in and run the football. I strongly believe that those who have been there and knocking around for a very long time have run out of ideas,” Sealy added.

According to Sealy, one of the founding members at Pride of Gall Hill, if the local football community does not regain control of the sport, Barbados will be in a similar position as West Indies cricket over the last 25-years.

“The members have to come out and ask some questions. If we don’t take control of Barbados football, we are going to be in the same position as West Indies cricket over the last 25 years because we allow people who don’t have the football at heart to continue to run it.

“We need footballers to come out and start to take control of the football. Over the years I think we allowed people who don’t know about the running of the football to run our football. And I believe we have some people out there who would have benefitted through football who understand football to take the new direction of football in Barbados,” Sealy explained.

A former national defender, Sealy also questioned the selection of overseas-based players in the Barbados team. He suggested that Barbados should start by focusing on building a strong home-based team.

“We need to see some of these players playing in trial games and see how they gel with our local players. But we really should try to build out our team locally. I can understand any of those guys like Thierry Gale who came through our system coming back home to represent the team. But trying to just pick players from all over the world because they are connected one way or the other to Barbadian family is not the way to go,” Sealy said.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 31, 2022, 06:42:34 AM »
WATCH: Full match of Russell Latapy-coached Barbados versus Suriname. Match played on Friday, January 28 in Paramaribo, Suriname. Suriname secured a 1-0 victory courtesy Jamilhio Rigters.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1IUjjx850io" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1IUjjx850io</a>

NOTE: Latapy included eight debutants in the squad, five (5) of whom are U-20 NT players and three (3) part of the U-23 programme. The squad is regarded as one of the youngest to be selected for Barbados at full international level.

Among them, 16-year-old goalkeeper Justin Griffith entered in the second half.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 12:50:38 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: February 02, 2022, 01:32:32 AM »
WATCH: Abandoned match (Sunday, January 30) between Guyana and Barbados.The match was abandoned, with roughly 30 minutes on the clock, due to the emergence of Covid-positive test results among the players.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/88GL7Vrv4Ew" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/88GL7Vrv4Ew</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 27, 2022, 07:44:17 PM »
Latapy quits his role as Head Coach of Barbados
Barbados Today

Russell Latapy has tendered his resignation as head coach of the Barbados Senior Men’s National Football team.

The former Trinidad and Tobago midfielder who took up the position in 2019 called it quits after months of mounting pressure from the Barbadian public. However, the development comes as no surprise given Barbados Trident’s dismal performances over the last couple of months.

President of the Barbados Football Association (BFA) Randy Harris confirmed Latapy’s resignation in a press release.

“After much discussion, Russell has decided to tender his resignation as Head Coach of the Senior Men’s National team with immediate effect.

“On behalf of the BFA, we extend our sincere thanks to Mr Latapy for his service to football in Barbados. We are grateful to have had Russell as part of our management and leadership team and we wish him and his family every success in the future,” Harris stated.

Harris said the BFA will commence the search for a new coach and will continue to guide the growth of local and national football through various developmental initiatives aimed at all levels of football.

“We remain committed to launching the official return to football in Barbados in August with the Republic Cup and Women’s Super League and will provide further details about these tournaments next month,” the president added.

The senior side has continuously struggled over the past months, with 9-0 and 5-0 losses to Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana in an international friendly earlier this year. They have also failed to win any of their four matches in the ongoing Concacaf Nations League having lost twice to Guadeloupe and fellow table leaders Cuba, along with Antigua and Barbuda.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 28, 2022, 07:01:29 AM »
Macarthur FC appoints Russell Latapy as Assistant Coach
Macarthur FC

Macarthur FC is excited to announce Russell Latapy has been appointed the club’s new assistant coach for the upcoming 2022/23 Isuzu UTE A-League Season.

The 53-year-old former professional football player’s career spanned more than twenty years at both club and international level. Playing in Portugal for eight years across three clubs, most notably Porto and then in Scotland for eleven seasons representing four teams including, Hibernian, Rangers, Dundee United and Falkirk.

Latapy amassed 81 caps for the Trinidad and Tobago national team and featured in the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany.

Not only was he highly successful in his playing career but once he began his managing career in 2009, Latapy went on to work as assistant coach for his former club Boavista and then Inverness Caledonian Thistly who won the Scottish Cup in 2014-25.

Latapy’s managing career went on to international level in 2019 when he became manager of the Barbados national team where his team won promotion from the 2019-23 CONCACAF Nations League C.

The club would like to welcome Russell to the Bulls as we look forward to see him work alongside newly appointed coach Dwight Yorke.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 28, 2022, 09:29:30 AM »
Dwight lookin out fuh he boy.  I hope they do well

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 28, 2022, 03:22:56 PM »
Latapy is backroom quality at best should have etched out a long term role as a player/technical development trainer/coach a long time ago, he better at imparting knowledge with he feet than anyting else........ might have learnt more about actual management and tactics with more time in the background instead he has become a bit of joke,
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 03:24:41 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 19, 2023, 07:18:12 AM »
Hibs legend Russell Latapy is set to make a rare return to Edinburgh this summer for two major events
By Patrick McPartlin (Edinburgh Evening News)

The 54-year-old, who is currently assistant boss to long-time friend Dwight Yorke at Australian side Macarthur FC, is jetting back to the Capital in June for consecutive meet-and-greet events – one at Easter Road stadium and the other at the Central Hall in Tollcross.

Latapy, who was brought to Hibs from Boavista in 1998 by then manager Alex McLeish, went on to play 98 times in green and white, scoring 29 goals. Among his achievements were helping the side to the second-tier title in 1999 and an immediate return to the top flight following relegation the previous season.

The former Barbados and Trinidad & Tobago boss will be appearing at Central Hall on June 23 and again the following night in the Edinburgh Club in the Easter Road Main Stand. Tickets are already available priced from £25 and available from the elt.events website.

John Dickson, of Edinburgh-based promoters elt.events, said: “We are absolutely buzzing to be bringing a modern club icon like Russell back to meet the fans and we hope they will be as excited about it as we are. Russell has true ‘rock star’ appeal and both nights are sure to be extremely entertaining and insightful.

"Russell hasn’t been back to the Capital for a long, long time so we’re incredibly excited for his long-awaited return. We are also delighted to be working with Hibs and their events team and we hope that we are offering fans a wide range of price options, ensuring that everyone can get the experience they want.”

1]; } ?>