48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 248019 times)

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tell Russell Thanks...
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2006, 02:12:39 AM »

thanks for everything russelll

nuff love....

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2006, 06:33:30 AM »
retire da shirt yes.....

LATAPY
Nice Idea !! Does anyone second it?

SECONDED, THIRDED, AND 1.3 MILLIONED!!!

yea definetly

:salute: LATAPY :salute:
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2006, 07:04:31 AM »
As i said...he eh no little magician....de man is flipmode merlin. Thanks latas and all the best.  :applause:
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2006, 07:38:11 AM »
ABRACADABRA
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Little Magician's Final Spell
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2006, 07:14:20 AM »
Little Magician's final spell

Did Beenhakker blunder?

Lasana Liburd

Sunday, June 25th 2006

Source: Trinidad Express
[/size]

T&T midfielder Russell Latapy is held back by Carlos Paredes of Paraguay during the World Cup Group B match at the Fritz-Walter Stadium last Tuesday in Kaiserslautern, Germany.

Russell Latapy was outnumbered and, it seemed, cornered. It was the Mixed Zone at the Fritz Walter Stadion, Kaiserslautern and the pint-sized Trinidad and Tobago midfielder had to walk past a scrum of media representatives for the last time as a player.

"Latapy! Latapy! Excuse, Latapy " said reporters, who begged him to stop, with tape recorders at the ready.

A polite nod, erect thumb, dip of the shoulder and Latapy has left the building.

"I know Latapy," said one journalist, "he was upset that he didn't play longer. That was why he didn't stop."

Perhaps the dreadlocked playmaker guessed the sensitive nature of the questions that might come his way after a breathtaking cameo in Trinidad and Tobago's final World Cup Group B match, which ended in a 2-0 loss to Paraguay. Or maybe the 37-year-old "Little Magician" was just tired.

Latapy had almost everyone guessing and, I suspect, he wanted it that way.

Gifted and moody, Latapy affected the emotions of a generation of football fans like no other. At least thrice, he quit the national team. In 1996, he failed to show for a crucial qualifier at home to the United States and was promptly "banned until further notice" by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF).

He walked out alongside close friend and present team captain Dwight Yorke in 2001 after being cut by technical director Rene Simoes for "indiscipline" and initially ignored an invitation to join the 2006 qualifying campaign by T&T coach Leo Beenhakker.

During my stay in Britain, I found Latapy the most elusive subject to pin down for an interview. Yet, once we got together, he surprised me by his forthrightness and analytical mind-most sportsmen view themselves as diplomats or can discuss little beyond their own role in the team.

Just to clear things up, Latapy confessed his love for a puff during an interview in Scotland last year, but it was well below the rumoured "40 fags a day". Latapy, by his account, draws on four or five cigarettes a day while in training and double that amount in the off season.

Whatever his indiscretions, Trinidad and Tobago football fans were always ready to forgive and, despite Latapy being an unwilling interviewee, I would happily alter my schedule for another fascinating chat with the diminutive maestro.

One either loves or hates Latapy and it is damned difficult to despise such a charming player. Everyone has a memorable Latapy move or game. My favourite was his hat-trick in an international friendly against Norway at the Queen's Park Oval in 1996, which ended 3-2, as I was a rookie reporter thrilled to personally meet my hero after the pre-match press conference. But the most moving match involving the player was surely his first and last World Cup appearance on June 20 in Kaiserslautern.

In 23 minutes, he glided past opponents, threaded passes and struck the ball with remarkable technique. Latapy's display did not change the course of the match. Trinidad and Tobago trailed Paraguay 1-0 when he came on and went on to lose 2-0 against a team that started the match without a point and regarded as weaker than earlier group rivals, England and Sweden. So, how did less than half-hour played in a game that seemed lost by the time he came on become the talking point of Trinidad and Tobago's tournament?

Beenhakker was suddenly under fire from the country that previously lauded him as a genius and begged him to remain after the tournament.

FIFA vice-president and T&TFF special advisor Jack Warner, who is essentially his employer, said that Latapy should have been played earlier. West Indies cricket captain Brian Lara, who is also Latapy's close friend, said the midfielder was "under-used".

Beenhakker could not avoid the "Latapy issue" in the post-Paraguay press conference as a Trinidad and Tobago reporter prodded him to admit a perceived error. The Dutchman, a former Real Madrid, Netherlands and Ajax boss, stood his ground.

"If it is one guy who has much respect for the career of Russell Latapy, it is me," said Beenhakker. "Against England and Sweden, we spent 70 minutes trying to get the ball back. With all due respect, the guy is (37) years old It (was) not his game."

Trinidad and Tobago's most successful match in Germany was in Dortmund, on June 10, when the "Soca Warriors" won their first point against Sweden with just ten players.

Arguably, our proudest moments

came in our second fixture against England at Nuremberg.

When Stern John rose over England defender Rio Ferdinand to redirect a Dennis Lawrence header goalward, only for John Terry to enact a panicky goalline clearance, Trinidad and Tobago fans were sure we belonged among the world's best football nations.

And yet, Latapy gave us something less tangible but just as precious and exhilarating. The French call it that certain "je ne sais quoi"-a palpable quality that is difficult to describe or express.

As unwilling as I am to compare players, perhaps a look at Trinidad and Tobago's two greatest footballers, Yorke and Latapy, can shed light on the latter's worth.

Yorke won more distinguished medals in his career than his magical friend, not least the European Champions League title and is-to me, indisputably-the more complete player in terms of his all-round ability. Yorke lacks Latapy's killer pass, within 35 yards of the opposing goal, but he can head, tackle, hold up the ball and switch seamlessly from midfield conductor to hustler to second striker to lone forward.

A fantastic captain, Yorke leads his men by example and the weight of his resume. His teammates marvel over his mastery of the ball and the way genuine stars like David Beckham and Wayne Rooney go out of their way to make his acquaintance. When Yorke tackles, his players switch on; when he shouts, they listen.

And Latapy? All he has to do is step on the pitch and players fall over themselves in their eagerness to please him. A mere gesture from Latapy leaves them spellbound.

When England met Trinidad and Tobago, it seemed that whenever the play became flat English boss Sven-Goran Eriksson sent Rooney to warm up. The very sight of him excited the crowd, whose increased energy level, in turn, lifted the England outfit.

Beenhakker does not do gimmicks and Latapy, at 37, might not have stomached being used as a mascot. But it is clear that the dreadlocked player inspires even beyond what he can do with a football.

In the end, he was a gamble that the experienced Dutch coach did not take and rightly so. Against Sweden, Beenhakker opted to hang on to the point in hand and his employers should be grateful.

The London Times newspaper described his sideline tinkering in that match as the best coaching display of the first round.

Trinidad and Tobago conceded their first goal to England too late to affect major change but, once more, Beenhakker's decision to introduce left winger Evans Wise instead of Latapy seemed reasonable.

England took the lead after a cunning alteration by Eriksson, who moved Beckham to the right back position and it was from this deeper role that he set up the opening goal. By sending Wise out to test Beckham's defensive qualifications, Beenhakker tried to turn England's strength into a weakness. Furthermore, Trinidad and Tobago still had to be mindful of their opponents' quality through the central midfield area and, to underline that point, Steven Gerrard sidestepped Aurtis Whitley to score a superb second for England.

Latapy would not have fared better than Whitley in the defensive third of the field.

It is better to savour the pleasure that Latapy brought to our World Cup campaign than to harbour obstructive grudges.

At Kaiserslautern, we witnessed the end of an era.

Argentina tried, without success, to retire the number 10 shirt after legendary playmaker Diego Maradona ended his international career. Trinidad and Tobago have a better case.

Nowhere, from Point Fortin to Charlotteville, lies a player with Latapy's qualities and I can only hope that one can be unearthed in my lifetime. There was something in the way Latapy danced with the ball and caused others to move along that touched the soul of a people who cannot resist a spontaneous party.

In Germany, I was filled with pride at the heroism and commitment of nearly two dozen of my countrymen. Some performers stood out above others. The composure and class of goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, right back Carlos Edwards and Yorke or the brave, consistent offerings from Dennis Lawrence, Cyd Gray, Brent Sancho and John.

But only one player made my hair stand on end.

You get one guess.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
Re: Little Magician's Final Spell
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2006, 07:40:33 AM »
Boy this was a great and sad article at the same time. Very nice. End of an era.

Still would have liked to see Latas in all three games. Even against Sweden. His offensive skills would have changed the offensive and defensive posture of both teams everytime he came on the field. I personally believe he would have been most effective against England, and perhaps Sven would have been outcoached and not Beenhacker.

Latas mi boy...hope we get another like you.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2006, 07:59:17 AM »
My No. 10 Jersey will be framed and put on my wall.  Never to be worn again.  I have followed and marvelled at Latapy's play since the 1984 Under 17 Tournament.  He was the best that I have seen in a Trinidad shirt for the last 25-30 years.  I was not fortunate enough to see the Archibald, De Leon, etc. teams.

Thanks again for the memories, Latas.  It is a very sad day to say that "it is over" and I will not take away from Latas moment by commenting on anything else.

Blessings.
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2006, 08:04:33 AM »
I have already framed my Latapy Strike squad jersey. Latas, you were a boss, thank you for inspiring me back in de day and the kids today.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2006, 08:04:48 AM »
Boy this was a great and sad article at the same time. Very nice. End of an era.

Still would have liked to see Latas in all three games. Even against Sweden. His offensive skills would have changed the offensive and defensive posture of both teams everytime he came on the field. I personally believe he would have been most effective against England, and perhaps Sven would have been outcoached and not Beenhacker.

maybe you should go coach the team
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »

maybe you should go coach the team

What for...Am I a coach?
Two islands are better than one.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2006, 08:33:15 AM »
mr lisana libird, it was a pleasure meeting u in dortmund and i must say that this is your best article ever!!

this article nearly brought tears to my eyes!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2006, 11:56:32 AM »
yes, beenhakker blundered. But we past that

very nice article  :beermug:

bittersweet

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
Well said Mr. Liburd...I will forever cherish the memory of standing in that stadium in Kaiserslautern (the only game I actually got entry to) and feeling the electricity in the crowd as first they chanted his name...then later he started warming up..then finally he made his entry and the place went wild.

Godspeed Russell...may we be someday blessed with another player worthy of mention in the same sentence as yourself.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
well done latapy

LONG LIVE THE MAGICIAN!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:12:12 AM by Small Magician »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Latapy score a free kick...........1-1 falkirk vs dundee utd.... 30 min
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2006, 09:49:56 AM »
good lookin out Cheyenne thanks.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy score a free kick...........1-1 falkirk vs dundee utd.... 30 min
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2006, 10:35:03 AM »
Sweet strike by Lata's....he hit ah bullet direct from the free kick into the top left corner from about 20 yards. He setup the second goal also.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Look like Latapy and Samuel had good games
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2006, 11:00:01 AM »
From Soccernet
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=198886&cc=3888

Falkirk came from behind to claim an opening day 2-1 win at Dundee United in the Bank of Scotland Premier League.

Barry Robson had given the home side a 17th-minute lead but the Bairns hit back courtesy of playmaker Russell Latapy six minutes later.

But, in the 59th minute, Falkirk midfielder Liam Craig capped a fine display with the winner.

However, on the evidence of the first 90 minutes of the season, United player-manager Craig Brewster and his team could be facing a long, hard campaign.

Brewster named himself in the starting line-up along side new arrival Noel Hunt up front and handed competitive debuts to summer signings Steven Robb and Craig Conway.

Falkirk head coach John Hughes gave goalkeeper Scott Higgins a debut ahead of Jeroen Lambers.

Latapy, fresh from his World Cup exploits with Trinidad and Tobago, was a threat throughout and his prompting appeared to have paid off after 10 minutes but Pedro Moutinho was denied the opener by an offside flag.
However, after Hunt earned the game's first booking for a lunge on Kenny Milne, United took a shock lead.

Robson's surge from left-back saw his initial shot blocked by Tom Scobbie, but the winger was first to the loose ball and he curled his effort past Higgins at the second attempt.

Stung by losing the first goal, Falkirk hit back but the offside flag denied Moutinho for a second time after Derek Stillie had fumbled Craig's shot on the turn.

But they were not to be denied a third time as Latapy nonchalantly drove in a 25-yard free-kick after Alan Gow had been fouled just outside the penalty area.

As the pace of the frenetic opening stages dipped, Latapy became an even greater influence on the proceedings.

However, the Bairns could not find a second goal as Craig passed up three half-chances and Latapy's free-kick was deflected wide by United's defensive wall.

Bairns midfielder Craig found himself pressed into action at the wrong end in the 52nd minute as he became the game's second booking after chopping down Conway and Hunt flashed a header wide from the resulting attack.

But still the visitors enjoyed the bulk of possession and they deservedly took the lead in the 59th minute.

Latapy was the instigator with some brilliant intricate play on the edge of the box and, when he got the break of the ball, a superb threaded pass played in Craig.
The former Ipswich youngster made no mistake, driving his shot across Stillie and into the net from an angle.

Former Falkirk striker Collin Samuel made an immediate impact after his second-half introduction, with his pace causing the visitors' rearguard problems.

When Higgins clutched Robson's free-kick to his chest late on and Mark Kerr's drive was blocked by Milne, Falkirk looked to have secured the points.

But they had a diving save by Higgins to thank for the win as he held Samuel's volley before tipping the Trinidad and Tobago international's drive onto the post in injury time.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Look like Latapy and Samuel had good games
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2006, 11:13:13 AM »
From Soccernet
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=198886&cc=3888

Falkirk came from behind to claim an opening day 2-1 win at Dundee United in the Bank of Scotland Premier League.

Barry Robson had given the home side a 17th-minute lead but the Bairns hit back courtesy of playmaker Russell Latapy six minutes later.

But, in the 59th minute, Falkirk midfielder Liam Craig capped a fine display with the winner.

However, on the evidence of the first 90 minutes of the season, United player-manager Craig Brewster and his team could be facing a long, hard campaign.

Brewster named himself in the starting line-up along side new arrival Noel Hunt up front and handed competitive debuts to summer signings Steven Robb and Craig Conway.

Falkirk head coach John Hughes gave goalkeeper Scott Higgins a debut ahead of Jeroen Lambers.

Latapy, fresh from his World Cup exploits with Trinidad and Tobago, was a threat throughout and his prompting appeared to have paid off after 10 minutes but Pedro Moutinho was denied the opener by an offside flag.
However, after Hunt earned the game's first booking for a lunge on Kenny Milne, United took a shock lead.

Robson's surge from left-back saw his initial shot blocked by Tom Scobbie, but the winger was first to the loose ball and he curled his effort past Higgins at the second attempt.

Stung by losing the first goal, Falkirk hit back but the offside flag denied Moutinho for a second time after Derek Stillie had fumbled Craig's shot on the turn.

But they were not to be denied a third time as Latapy nonchalantly drove in a 25-yard free-kick after Alan Gow had been fouled just outside the penalty area.

As the pace of the frenetic opening stages dipped, Latapy became an even greater influence on the proceedings.

However, the Bairns could not find a second goal as Craig passed up three half-chances and Latapy's free-kick was deflected wide by United's defensive wall.

Bairns midfielder Craig found himself pressed into action at the wrong end in the 52nd minute as he became the game's second booking after chopping down Conway and Hunt flashed a header wide from the resulting attack.

But still the visitors enjoyed the bulk of possession and they deservedly took the lead in the 59th minute.

Latapy was the instigator with some brilliant intricate play on the edge of the box and, when he got the break of the ball, a superb threaded pass played in Craig.
The former Ipswich youngster made no mistake, driving his shot across Stillie and into the net from an angle.

Former Falkirk striker Collin Samuel made an immediate impact after his second-half introduction, with his pace causing the visitors' rearguard problems.

When Higgins clutched Robson's free-kick to his chest late on and Mark Kerr's drive was blocked by Milne, Falkirk looked to have secured the points.

But they had a diving save by Higgins to thank for the win as he held Samuel's volley before tipping the Trinidad and Tobago international's drive onto the post in injury time.

hmmmmm niiiiiiiiice.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
all that long quote to say nice  ???  steeps

Brewster needs to bench himself and start Samuel

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
is amazing he could still do it like da at his age

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
it eh look like I get over this Latapy WC thing nah

but damn i wish i could see dat goal

L A T A P Y
      1 0

edit: Carlos also score for Luton, a right footed bullet straight in de V from outside the box
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:48:57 AM by Grande man »

Offline whayuhsay

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Long live the KING!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

L A T A P Y
      1 0

edit: Carlos also score for Luton, a right footed bullet straight in de V from outside the box

yessaahhhh...WC boys roughing dem up. Watford..time to put yuh money where yuh mouth is. Carlos is a premiership level player..

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

L A T A P Y
      1 0

Yuh saying dat like yuh not sure, well ah eh get over it  :(, but leh we doh start dis thing again. Well de GENERAL just being himself.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Ned

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
anyone like to see his goal ..... Latapy Free Kick   ;)

courtesy of 1876Bairn at thefansclips.com

Come On Ye Bairns  ;D

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
Wham it had an earthquake going on the same time or what everything
only jumping . :devil:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Come On Ye Bairns  ;D

thanks Neddo

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Come On Ye Bairns  ;D

dat was nice. real nice. Thanks Ned.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
How come nobody eh put up a list of games for today and the scores???
Warrior For Life !!

1]; } ?>