48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 247896 times)

Offline whayuhsay

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Chow, yuh tork like a boss dey...

The problem is after Sweden, all man could do was praise Beenhakker for bringing on another striker.  In the end, Shaka had the biggest game of his life and if not for him, Sweden could have easily beaten us 3-0.   Fact is, we were lucky, Sweden throw away big time and Shaka was a brick wall.  People forget, Shaka was not even supposed to start that game, I guess Beenhakker got lucky again...

Then we have Colin Samuel, another attacking player, Beenie bench de man against Sweden, I doh undahstand why as anyone with a tape of that game, please watch it and tell me why Beenie bench Colin and never play him after that game?

The fuss Bahrain game, all man agree with Beenie's benching of Latas, yet Latapy was having a better game than some of the other midfielders, again, he should not have been benched.  A man post about Latapy being ineffective 11/19/89 even though the entire team was ineffective after a 4 hour bus ride.  I will remind you that Latapy was fouled in the box on 11/19/89, it should have been a penalty.

Look, the local haters will find all reasons to defend Beenhakker and mash up Latapy and any other local.  When one of them give me a good reason why Theobald pulling stones them 3 games get to play in front of Latas in every game, then I would shut up!

In the end, we would never have won 3 of our last 4 games and qualified if Latapy didn't come out of retirement after being begged by Yorke for those last four games in the Hex.

Latapy's dream was to coach TnT or at least play an assistant role, dais my belief, look who is the new head coach, Beenie's assistant!  Go figure!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The problem is after Sweden, all man could do was praise Beenhakker for bringing on another striker.  In the end, Shaka had the biggest game of his life and if not for him, Sweden could have easily beaten us 3-0.   Fact is, we were lucky, Sweden throw away big time and Shaka was a brick wall.  People forget, Shaka was not even supposed to start that game, I guess Beenhakker got lucky again...

Then we have Colin Samuel, another attacking player, Beenie bench de man against Sweden, I doh undahstand why as anyone with a tape of that game, please watch it and tell me why Beenie bench Colin and never play him after that game?

The fuss Bahrain game, all man agree with Beenie's benching of Latas, yet Latapy was having a better game than some of the other midfielders, again, he should not have been benched.  A man post about Latapy being ineffective 11/19/89 even though the entire team was ineffective after a 4 hour bus ride.  I will remind you that Latapy was fouled in the box on 11/19/89, it should have been a penalty.

Look, the local haters will find all reasons to defend Beenhakker and mash up Latapy and any other local.  When one of them give me a good reason why Theobald pulling stones them 3 games get to play in front of Latas in every game, then I would shut up!

In the end, we would never have won 3 of our last 4 games and qualified if Latapy didn't come out of retirement after being begged by Yorke for those last four games in the Hex.

Latapy's dream was to coach TnT or at least play an assistant role, dais my belief, look who is the new head coach, Beenie's assistant!  Go figure!

Man, I have so much more to say and I ain't sayin' all I know or feel because I have some investigating to do first, but to touch on that fateful day in '89, I am amazed that men would try to be reproachful towards Latas for that game because I remember that, in my unbiased post game analysis of the game LATAPY was STILL the player that, to the best of my rememberance, stood out as at least the midfielder that did his best and worked the hardest to get us that all important goal, and subsequently, equaliser..........but I will be more than happy to blow the dust off that tape and watch it again if anybody challenges me to do so.  You touched on the whole coaching thing, and I suspect that there was some issue there between he and Leo, but I would be irresponsible to put that out there without finding out from the right sources.
   Men are out here begging the rhetorical question about "....Lampard, Ashley Cole......etc."  If Cornell Glen can hold his own against Ashley Cole (whose attitude I cannot stand, but I am fair enough to concede is one of the better left backs in the league) then why are we supposed to be afraid of the prospect of having Latas take on Lampard and Co.?  Would he rally have done any worse than the likes of "Me Mum" and Whitley?  Really??? Would he have??

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Â     Man, I have so much more to say and I ain't sayin' all I know or feel because I have some investigating to do first, but to touch on that fateful day in '89, I am amazed that men would try to be reproachful towards Latas for that game because I remember that, in my unbiased post game analysis of the game LATAPY was STILL the player that, to the best of my rememberance, stood out as at least the midfielder that did his best and worked the hardest to get us that all important goal, and subsequently, equaliser..........but I will be more than happy to blow the dust off that tape and watch it again if anybody challenges me to do so.  You touched on the whole coaching thing, and I suspect that there was some issue there between he and Leo, but I would be irresponsible to put that out there without finding out from the right sources.
 Â  Men are out here begging the rhetorical question about "....Lampard, Ashley Cole......etc."  If Cornell Glen can hold his own against Ashley Cole (whose attitude I cannot stand, but I am fair enough to concede is one of the better left backs in the league) then why are we supposed to be afraid of the prospect of having Latas take on Lampard and Co.?  Would he rally have done any worse than the likes of "Me Mum" and Whitley?  Really??? Would he have??

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
..............and to think.......men wanted to seriously argue wit me, and actually defend Leo's decision...........not to give Russell #*@^%$ing Latapy, Arguably (if yuh REALLY FEEL like arguing) Trinidad's greatest player EVER, no more than 24 minutes of playing time in our country's finest moment in football.  HAH!!!!!

I really wish Latas had played more in the WC..but I eh jumping on 1 Scottish league performance to bolster that argument. That is one game against an average team in a somewhat decent league. There are a gazillion reasons you could argue for Latas...this eh one of them (in my opinion)

Â     Come on, Filho.  When I was arguing with men in germany that Latas should have had more playing time, do you think I was basing my argument on what he did this past weekend in the SPL?  We all know that Latas is no longer what he used to be but his prescence on the field up to June 20th of this year was still more valuable to T&T than his prescence on the bench, and his little 24 minutes against Paraguay did prove that.  I threw it out there that he should have had more playing time, Brother, but I wasn't "jumping on ! Scottish League performance to bolster that argument"  We ain't that simple, are we?  Sometimes when a man throws out a post, he's throwing it out for more reasons than one, Padna.

Hard luck boss...I was not trying to say you were using the SPL performance to make your point. I know you had been calling for Latas way back. I just meant that you should not use it to add to that argument. I don't think a great SPL performance should be the catalyst for bringing up another 'I told you Latas should have played'. The WC and the SPL are very different in terms of the quality of football. To me it sounded like you were using the SPL performnace to say...look, more evidence that Latas should have played. I just saying, I don't think it says anything other than a great player had a great game. Hard luck if I misunderstood where you were coming from...but I hope is clear where I was coming from.
             I know exactly where yuh comin' from, Boss, my initial post was meant as a "steups wit a rollin' of the eye kinda" thing, remembering how disappointed I was that he didn't get more playing time.  I am no statistician when it comes to football, at least not in the purest sense like some men I see here.  The stat that matters most to me when it comes down to it, is shots on goal.  Make the 'keeper earn his pay!!  The value that Latapy brought to our team CANNOT be measured with any of these statistics that men looking to put out here.  This is not friggin' baseball.  Football is supposed to be a free-flowing game of offensive improvisation combined with tactical and defensive discipline in front of solid goalkeeping.  If men lose their defensive discipline because Latas come on to create more chances for the team's goalscorers (Stern "Lazy" John, Cornell Glen and, when given the opportunity, Dwight, etc!) THAT IS NOT HIS FAULT!! Also, Latapy is no more a defensive liability than any of the other midfielders on our team, and I didn't exactly see Paraguay pin back their ears and start licking their offensive chops when he did come on.  If anything, he had their defenders on their heels and he DID elevate the team's energy, (I even saw Stern trying to put in and win tackles in the Paraguay defence.  Picture DAT!!!) and I am not saying that we would have all of a sudden scored 1, 2, 3 or ANY goals against England or Paraguay, but you still have to find a way to get your BEST AND MOST CREATIVE player on the field SOMEHOW!  We had more than proven ourselves in the Sweden game EVEN if Sweden were unlucky not to score.  
 Â       

cool ting. would have defnitely liked to see the lil' magician more...I honestly don't care what his effect would have been...just would have liked for him to have gotten more of a chance. But I empathize with Beenie and the choices he had to make. respek

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Here is a better clip off the goal...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ntc1jh

I staying out of this argument because you can't talk sense over emotion and expect to persuade anybody of anything.

There is no denying his quality as a player...Latas time as a coach will come, i'm sure, and then we will see how much he worth in that department.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
nice clip..great quality

de fellas show him real love too...

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
How come nobody eh put up a list of games for today and the scores???

Coventry lost 2-1  Stern play 61mins ..did not score ......come on haters do all yuh ting ?

Latas Big Big Player always

Stern ent score because he's ah bum!
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
nice clip..great quality

de fellas show him real love too...

Yuh culd not even see him durin de post goal huddle celebratin de goal, short man russell boy, de emotion continues....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg

Coventry lost 2-1  Stern play 61mins ..did not score ......come on haters do all yuh ting ?

And you is ah jackass becuz yuh born mentally challanged
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile

:rotfl: Berris you never seem to disappoint me! Yuh does reale take bait/shit like ah shit eating maneekue... so tell me who's really mentally challenged! :rotfl:
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
mango chow wey yuh sey etc should be d next coach
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Even latapy say he cannot go fuh 90 min even latapy back leo decision to bench him in the away game lord boy  :rotfl: i bet you does dream of latapy floatingthrough yuh bed room window ..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg

:rotfl: Berris you never seem to disappoint me! Yuh does reale take bait/shit like ah shit eating maneekue... so tell me who's really mentally challenged! :rotfl:

weshitis  you tell me who is de one wey really geh bait here like ah  bamsee licking imps  :rotfl: :rotfl:   and de answer to yuh question is obvious .
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
Ah wonder why Jack didn't ask to keep de WorldCup Bus boy?

PS - Stern John is ah POTHOUND!!
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Even latapy say he cannot go fuh 90 min even latapy back leo decision to bench him in the away game lord boy  :rotfl: i bet you does dream of latapy floatingthrough yuh bed room window ..

Â        I guess you are yet another one who cannot wait to let people know what little command you have of the english language or of how little you understand politics and diplomacy......or what little you even know of Russel Latapy.  When yuh finish dryin' behind yuh ears, pull out yuh Nelson Readers and Student's Companion and try to understand this: Latas has always been a very humble person ever since the entire football world in T&T (as we know it) knew of him as a little boy.  The WHOLE  of Trinidad knew of him since he played u-14 for Tranquility Secondary and ever since then, he was never known to talk big or say anything out of line.  He isn't necessarily going to start now, and he wouldn't say anything controversial to create any discord in the T&T camp.  I would EXPECT him to fully support Leo's decision.  Nor do his comments change the fact that LEO COULD HAVE PLAYED HIM MORE.  I will let you figure out the 90 minutes of playing time on your own...............as far as your other comments........I would be the first to tell anybody that I do "Idol worship" Latas and a host of other men as the best things that have passed through our country and I have no shame in putting that out there.  All that talk about bedroom windo and all dat is something is something you need to go get help for, Padnah.  go tell dat to your brothers and sisters or something.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is a much more clearer, professional clip of Latas' goal:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ntc1jh

golaso  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The truth about Latas please...
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2006, 03:54:52 PM »
Please read the whole post before responding

The older heads on this forum who believe that Russell Latapy is the best thing that God make since Jesus Christ have a tendency to shake their heads condescendingly at us younger ones and say, I wish you could have seen him in his prime.

Latas' dribling skills, vision and touch are not to be disputed. I think any one who has seen him play even just the Guatemala match will realise that he's the best technicaly gifted player TNT has produced in the last 15 years, and probably best ever (I can't compare what I haven't seen)

However, on bigsoccer someone is running a thread on the best 10 CONCACAF players ever and saw it fit to put Dwight over there and not Russell. Why? The answer is obvious. Dwight not only had success, but high profile success at Manchester, and he has the added props of being able to say i captained my team to its first ever world cup.

Latas has been a lot more low profile. He won a couple titles in the Portuguese League (which was then a lot less valued before Porto's win in the Champion's League) before moving into Scotland, For all intents and purposes after he left Rangers, his international status as a big name player was over.

He made basically a 'cameo appearance (all be it a vital one) in our final WC qualifying campaign (5 starts in 12 matches), and we all know the story about the world cup so i won't bring it up here.
Everyone would agree that Latapy on the field brought much more to the team than mere stats can indicate.

But I would like to know what exactly was his role in Portugal. With Boavista and Porto, how many starts did Latas get, how many goals did he score, how many minutes did he play, who were his team mates and why was he given on a free transfer to Hibs? Does anyone have that information. I fished around for it and couldn't find it..

A non trini can say Yorke was a great player without having ever seen him play because of his high exposure and his stats in the EPL, but they can't say the same about Latas unfortunately (and yes i know midfielders get less press than strikers. Why is Latas' wikipedia entry so short compared to Dwight's?

For those of us who don't have 1001 memories of the guy, imagine our children, what is there to prove that this man was as great as we all think he is? Let me hear alyuh.

I know I will get real pound for this, because  plenty men won't understand me and feel i on a fight down scene...  ::)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 05:49:58 PM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: The truth about Latas please...
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2006, 04:10:21 PM »
Nice post.  Will be interestin to see de responses.

Just for me....I was fortunate to see Latas in de U 16 tournament in T&T....same tournament wit Marcelle etc.  Pele at the time was present and he predicted at the time that Marcelle would be the man who would make the big impression at senior level for T&T, and Marcelle was decidely exciting.  Yet Latas who was so small on the field, his kit seemingly 2 times bigger than him, and his afro jes adding to the overall look, was the one who truly caught my eye.

Even at that age, his technique was remarkable....the vision in his passing remarkable.....his shielding of the ball, his passing...all of these attributes which became the hallmark of his career were on full display even then.

For me...Latas is the best footballer I ever see in a T&T uniform.  Make that in any Caribbean football uniform.  Make that in any CONCACAF region uniform.  Bar NONE.  Dwight Yorke is an excellent player....but footballer for footballer....FOR ME....He not in latas' league.

Now Yorkie has 2 great legacies.  His deeds in England especially with Man United in the 98/99 season.  And leading the Soca Warriors to the World Cup in Germany in 2006.

Latas leagcies are much more INTANGIBLE...but anyone who has seen him, especially when he's on song, comes away with a sense of having been in the presence of GENIUS.  This is the stuff of which LEGENDS are made. 

Unlike Yorke...there aren't that many video compilations that can show latas at his best.  Perhaps when he was at his peak....he was in Portugal which was pretty much during the pre internet days.  I used to scour newsgroups and portugese newspapers on line trying to get any information whatsoever on Latapy.  Talk to Portugese and mention Latapy and they would nod knowingly.  But that was about it.  Imagine my absolute thrill when one day watching CL football, I saw the matchup was Porto against Sampdoria and Latas was starting for Bobby Robson's team.

Latas ran the show that day and I felt so proud.  Game went to extra time and then penalty kicks.  Latas was one of the penalty takers, missed, and Porto went on to lose.  From heaven to hell in the space of a few minutes.

So honestly...I eh know how much "EVIDENCE" we will have to show Latas' career brilliance.  But if ever a player deserved a montage of clips...and I know they out there because they must be in TTT and other TV station film archives somewhere, it would be Russel Latapy.  If not, you can show your children and grandchildren that 20 minutes against Paraguay.  It's about as good a cameo as one can get and hopefully they will come away with a SENSE of just how great the Little Magician really was.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

TrinInfinite

« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »
latas was the greatest without a doubt, the true definition of trinidad football, he was by far the greatest dribbler and passer in his time for trinidad and im proud tuh say he is also an east dry river brother :beermug: ;D

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2006, 04:23:39 PM »
latas was the greatest without a doubt, the true definition of trinidad football, he was by far the greatest dribbler and passer in his time for trinidad and im proud tuh say he is also an east dry river brother :beermug: ;D

TI yuh mean bredda, right  ;D
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

TrinInfinite

« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »

TI yuh mean bredda, right  ;D

a distinguished player like latas i decided tuh use brother ;D but yuh right bredda ;D

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2006, 04:56:44 PM »
Dwight vs Latas...hard debate. Most local adults will pick Latas because they will have more live memories of Latas at his absolute best. Latas seems to have more all-round natural ability on the ball than Yorke. He also has more flair and Trinis love that. More importantly he has tended to outshine Yorkie when they put on the red black and white...especially before this last WC campaign. Even now at 38, his cameo against Paraguay shows he can do things no other Trini can do. Latas jumpstart the campaign with that goal against Guatemala...somehow, if anybody was going to do that..it was Latas. We older Trinis (anyone out of their teens) would consider him our most talented and hence best player..not that younger Trinis would not agree, or older ones disagree...I just think it is more likely that adult Trinis would pick Latas

Yorke is more famous and by most football standards, more successful. He played in a higher profile team, in a higher profile league and did things at club level that Latas never had the chance to prove he could do (Porto and Rangers being just a step below Man U in the global football hierarchy). So to most people outside of T&T, and probably younger Trinis, Yorke would be the man.

I say Latas more talented, Yorke more successful..is a tie  ;D

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2006, 05:08:55 PM »
Dwight vs Latas...hard debate. Most local adults will pick Latas because they will have more live memories of Latas at his absolute best. Latas seems to have more all-round natural ability on the ball than Yorke. He also has more flair and Trinis love that. More importantly he has tended to outshine Yorkie when they put on the red black and white...especially before this last WC campaign. Even now at 38, his cameo against Paraguay shows he can do things no other Trini can do. Latas jumpstart the campaign with that goal against Guatemala...somehow, if anybody was going to do that..it was Latas. We older Trinis (anyone out of their teens) would consider him our most talented and hence best player..not that younger Trinis would not agree, or older ones disagree...I just think it is more likely that adult Trinis would pick Latas

Yorke is more famous and by most football standards, more successful. He played in a higher profile team, in a higher profile league and did things at club level that Latas never had the chance to prove he could do (Porto and Rangers being just a step below Man U in the global football hierarchy). So to most people outside of T&T, and probably younger Trinis, Yorke would be the man.

I say Latas more talented, Yorke more successful..is a tie  ;D

thats what i think there
Latas is the more skillful baller, Yorke is the more successful.

For those who follow NBA is like asking who is better between Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson, skill vs championship rings.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2006, 05:20:52 PM »
For those who follow NBA is like asking who is better between Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson, skill vs championship rings.

Ah hearin yuh but I eh agree wit dah comparison.  No disrespeck but Iverson eh want nutting wit Kobe sah.  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2006, 05:26:25 PM »

Ah hearin yuh but I eh agree wit dah comparison.  No disrespeck but Iverson eh want nutting wit Kobe sah.  8)

very true very ture...to me kobe is the man in the league
but i wanted to pick guys i thought everyone would know

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2006, 05:27:06 PM »
couldn't resist replying to this post. for me, Latas all the way.. Yorke and Latas were both world class players and while Yorke had more success, in my eyes, Latas  is better in almost every measurable category.

i was lucky to watch Latas from the u-16 days, thru college's league and natl senior team and i've never seen another player in T&T colors who had such a commanding presence on the field despite his meagre stature.

i've seen Latas at all levels, play and entire game without making a mistake, in total command, doing whatever, wherever and to whom ever was in his way.

its a pity he did not play at a high profile club... lemme ask allyuh something, yuh think Beckham could ever compare with Latas? Becks played and is playing with the cream of the crop and is definitely more successfull but when yuh break down the components of their respective gamesi, he is no where in Latas' class..call me bias or just a Trini but Latas is on of the best players i've ever seen play this game.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2006, 05:27:55 PM »
I think the most important point in this whole post was this and it is very, very valid:

For those of us who don't have 1001 memories of the guy, imagine our children, what is there to prove that this man was as great as we all think he is?  

We older heads know Latas...but will the youths and unborn ever know about this "GREAT" ? There is not that much published about him or as the poster rightly asked media on him when he was at the top flight clubs...the little that we older heads do know is when Latas played in school,  in national games but we have not really seen him in club games when he was at his prime.....If anything we were able to catch a game of Yorke..not Latas

I think....No....I know it will be a great loss to us if we don't get some type of archive comomorating his achievments. Men like Latas only come once in a few generations (just like they are still trying to find the next MJ)...we should not let his magic be lost  
Warrior For Life !!

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2006, 05:35:26 PM »
I think the most important point in this whole post was this and it is very, very valid:

For those of us who don't have 1001 memories of the guy, imagine our children, what is there to prove that this man was as great as we all think he is? 

We older heads know Latas...but will the youths and unborn ever know about this "GREAT" ? There is not that much published about him or as the poster rightly asked media on him when he was at the top flight clubs...the little that we older heads do know is when Latas played in school,  in national games but we have not really seen him in club games when he was at his prime.....If anything we were able to catch a game of Yorke..not Latas

I think....No....I know it will be a great loss to us if we don't get some type of archive comomorating his achievments. Men like Latas only come once in a few generations (just like they are still trying to find the next MJ)...we should not let his magic be lost   

nice post, and you are quite right

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 18, 2006, 05:49:14 PM »

We older heads know Latas...but will the youths and unborn ever know about this "GREAT" ? There is not that much published about him or as the poster rightly asked media on him when he was at the top flight clubs...the little that we older heads do know is when Latas played in school,  in national games but we have not really seen him in club games when he was at his prime.....If anything we were able to catch a game of Yorke..not Latas

Thank you...

Once again. This isn't a Latapy vs Yorke thread...Please lets try to reflect on the important part...

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 18, 2006, 06:01:08 PM »
Here's one who thinks that despite Latapy's superlative technical ability, he wasn't the greatest. Simply because he wasn't adaptable. He is most effective playing in an advanced position which means that he needs a water carrier/indian to free him up to display his chieftain qualities. However,  more often than not when I've seen him play, he was not provided that "luxury" resulting in a very enigmatic performance. I've seen him play live on only 3 occasions, and on television in another handful of games. While this only represents a small sample, that observation wasn't lost on me. There were odd moments of brilliance interspaced between loooooooong periods of obscurity in the engine room at that. Unfortunately the engine wasn't on auto-pilot >:(

If this says anything, it's that he wasn't put in a position to really flourish. Which is why I can hold Beenhakker in high regard - deploying him in a very advanced position, except in Bahrain game two where his task was to help keep the ball another of his strengths. Oh how I would have loved to see him given the freedom he deserved, but pragmatism sometimes have a greater sway. ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 06:02:54 PM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

1]; } ?>